Crabbing from Piers in Washington - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
Heatmiser
Chromer

Default Crabbing from Piers in Washington

My wife and I are in the proces of planning a vacation for the summer. We've been to several of the Oregon piers and have done reasonably well crabbing there. The only spot that I've I've tried in Washington is Westport, and you're fishing from a dock there, not a pier that is safer for children.

This year we'd like to vacation in Washington, preferably the Hood Canal area or the north tip of the Olympic Penninsula. We would like to find a pier safe enough for our 3 year old daughter. We'd also like to avoid the Seattle area, altogether (the idea is to get away from crowds, right?). North of Everett up to the Canadian border is fine, as are any of the islands in the Puget Sound (again, away from Seattle).

So, the million dollar question . . . :whazzup: . . . anyone out there that can recommed a spot to crab from peir in any these locations? Clamming and/or getting oysters would be a bonus.

Thanks for you help on this!

Heatmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Heatmiser
Chromer

Default Re: Crabbing from Piers in Washington

Surely someone out there knows something . . . unless these are sacred or zipperlip locations.

Anyone?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!

I have crabbed off the Puget Sound piers for the past 20 years, and the bottom line is that they are not as good as they used to be. Plus, the seasons are very restrictive--check the WDFW hotline/website before you go, to verify the crabbing/shellfish seasons in the area.

Here are some general thoughts:

The Westport docks are the best that still remain IMHO, for getting keeper dungies and rocks.

I'm not too familiar with the Hood Canal area--I know that there is currently a complete closure of bottom fishing in Hood Canal--I'm not sure if this includes shellfish/crab. The docks in the northern part of the canal (Point Whitney) and at parks north of the Hood Canal Bridge are purported to have decent crabbing.

Port Townsend pier is fair for red rock crab.

Kayak Point park north of Marysville may be good for 1-3 crabs during a day of crabbing.

Also try Cornet Bay piers and Bowman Bay pier (Deception Pass area) for rock crab and keeper dungies. BB pier was really good about 10 years ago for rock crab, but has been slim pickings in recent years.

The Bremerton area has good crabbing, but there are health concerns/pollution.

Bottom line: Puget Sound is not good (it sucks) for the shorebound crabber, plus they require an extra $5 (??) shellfish enhancement stamp on your license, plus all of the state parks require $10 parking fees. If you want to spend a nice day with the family, Puget Sound is a good place. If you want to catch a limit of crabs, forget it. You'll be lucky to catch 1-2 keeper dungies off Puget Sound piers.

I always plan my vacation around the Westport area. It's infinitely better in terms of overall activities for the family, and has very good fishing and crabbing.

Good luck.
TooDrunkToFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Heatmiser
Chromer

TooDrunkToFish,

Thanks for the valuable input. It sounds as if Westport might be our best option. Any campgrounds that you would recommend in this area? We'll need to make reservations soon. Feel free to PM me with any specific campsite #s, if you are willing.

Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
Moley Molson
Steelhead

We stayed at the Pacific Aire Resort (campground) when we were there. Nice facilities, with fish/crab cleaning stations. Tent spaces were pretty small though.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
kamloops
Tuna!

Downtown Hoodsport, WA.
kamloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!

Heatmiser:

I will PM you some info.

BTW the campsites inside of the city themselves are rather unspectacular. They are suited for the fisherman who only needs basic amenities and who will be fishing first thing in the morning. Visit and inquire with the campsites outside of town--they are better if you want the more pristine, natural, quite, and picturesque environment.

Also, Ocean Shores or the Long Beach Peninsula provide alternative choices to visit/stay. I myself would pick Westport, but others may prefer OS or LB. I just think that the fishing and crabbing is better at WP.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #8
bathtub bob
Steelhead

There is a dock at Hoodsport on Hood Canal
Old 05-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
snit
Tuna!

We used to do the Westpor thing, and also drive south down to Tokeland (10 miles or so). They did have a public (kinda?) dock that we used to murder them off of. I was down there a year or 2 ago, and there was people crabbing off of that dock. Didn't stick around to see how they were doing. Anyone else know?

When I was poor (without boat) we crabbed at the Mukilteo ferry dock and did well, but that was 12+ years ago. Also, Kayak point was a nice place, and had decent crabbing. But all my crabbing is now done out of the boat.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!

when I last crabbed off the Tokeland pier, most of the crabs were way too small 2-4 inches.