Ukiah Elk - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 08-06-2002, 03:07 PM   #1
gorge_fisherman
Cutthroat

Default Ukiah Elk

My dad and I are hunting elk in the Ukiah unit for the first time this year. Just have first season spike tags. I have heard some good reports about guys doing good around the burn area of a few years back. Anybody hunt around this area? We are thinking of hunting around "round meadow trail". Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would be glad to share reports/tips on mid-Columbia salmon/steelhead.

Thanks
Rick

[ 08-06-2002, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: gorge_fisherman ]

gorge_fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Myles
Tuna!

Default Re: Ukiah Elk

I'll be there the 24th of this month archery hunting. I have'nt had a lot of time scouting, but I know of a good deer area and will also be hunting for elk. I'll let you know how I do but with the time between late August and rifle season it may not do you much good.

myles
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #3
gorge_fisherman
Cutthroat

Thanks Myles. We were over there last weekend and saw all kinds of deer in the middle of the day around the burn area between round meadow and winom creek. Hope you get one. Lots of green feed in there.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:06 PM   #4
fineline
Tuna!

We hunted the Ukiah spike only hunt for a couple of days last year. Only saw about 250 other hunters :depressed: no elk but did see a buck tearing up a tree with his horns and a small deer either dying from some knuckle head shooting it or some other wild animal like maybe a cougar attack. Was a sad day since it was really messed up and I wanted to put it out of it's misery but I didn't want to be held responsible if it had in fact been shot.

[ 08-06-2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: fineline ]
Politics, industries, and our environment can make or break our fishing. We must be active, organized sport fishermen who will not be known for what we gave up or lost, but for what we did to prevent it.
Nwsteelheaders.org
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:20 PM   #5
lor
Ifish Nate

I've been Archery Hunting for about 4 years now. Still trying to get that 1st bow kill. Deer or elk, I don't care.

I've hunted Ukiah beofre, I think I can find the elk.

Where are some decent areas to get into Deer around Ukiah, in the Heppner Unit.
Reason being is that Heppner is probably gonna be either sex for Archery.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:24 AM   #6
gorge_fisherman
Cutthroat

Up until this year we have hunted Heppner for deer and elk. We hunt around Divide Well. It is pretty thick now because they have not done any logging in about 10 years, but there are some nice bucks up there. Lots of elk also.

[ 08-07-2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: gorge_fisherman ]
Old 08-07-2002, 12:24 PM   #7
'ZZZZzzzzzz'
Steelhead

I have hunted Ukiah several times and have seen many good bucks in and around the burn area. I have not seen many Elk in that area though. I have seen a lot of Elk in the North half of the unit up near the Starkey border. I drew a tag in the Heppner Unit this year and it will be my first time hunting that unit.

Do some scouting and good luck. I would stay to the North for the Elk.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:00 PM   #8
Damien
Steelhead

I've have hunted Ukiah twice without luck. First year two of us had spike tags and other 2 in group had hair tags. We ended up with 1 cow the last day. Of course the two of us with spike tags saw lots of elk but no spikes.? Last year we went over with cow tags in hand expecting the best. I didn't see a elk but my dad did on opening morning. Couldn't get a shot off and that was it skunked????? :shocked: We did see a ton of deer last year including a dandy 4X4 buck chasing a doe. We hunted up on Bowman Creek. So how many guys are there in your party. I think doing drives and camping out at crossing would be your best bets. The first 2 days of the hunt seem to be the best bet for getting into elk. One thing I don't like about where we were hunting was the # of roads. It's hard to find a nice chunk of land without roads cutting it up. Just my .02
Old 08-10-2002, 03:24 PM   #9
Lepper
Ifish Nate

I grew up hunting the ukiah unit!! great unit!! if you know where to go...

As for the Heppner unit I have hunted that unit for the past 7 yrs.... And have ALWAYS gotten my elk and deer. Would have gone this year but I didn't want to mess with my spike only tags so I let them go.... or wait I still m ight go...... ummmm..

I might be bribed to give some good hunting areas for the heppner unit..... or heck maybe I should just get my tag and go.... um.. choices.. choices......
dave
Old 08-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #10
kampy
Steelhead

Grew up hunting this area when I was younger, with lots of good harvests. The dry will lessen your chances. try a tree stand if you can scout out some good resent trails
Good luck.
kampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:04 PM   #11
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Damian - I also hunted Ukiah for cow elk last year and never saw a single one. We covered tons of ground and rarely even saw a track or droppings. I've hunted Ukiah for 9 years in a row now for deer and elk and can't ever recall going a single day during deer or elk season without at least seeing an elk until we actually drew the cow tag!

I heard some shooting on the second day of the season and drove to where it was and found an indian shooting doe deer. I posted a few weeks ago about this on the fishing site - I reported him to the police as he was killing lots of them according to other hunters I talked to. Apparently their treaty rights allow it. I drove around at night with a bright flashlight just to watch all the big bucks in the rut. I saw over 60 bucks in 5 days.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote