Refinishing oars - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 03-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
CHOSENBOY
Steelhead

Default Refinishing oars

Perhaps someone has re-finished their oars before and can give me a little help. I have my sawyer all wood oars completely stripped down and am wondering what type of sealer to use. Next I need to find the proper finish to put on them, epoxy 'cause of the toughness but what kind??
If anyone here can give me a few pointers it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Sallee

Old 03-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Joe Schwab

Default Re: Refinishing oars

Don't use epoxy. I refinished a pair of wood oars and heeded the advice of an old cabinet maker. Go with spar varnish. Epoxy will crack. Put a coat on, let it dry, rub it down with newspaper. That's right! Crumpled up newspaper. Do that for three coats and you will own a beautiful pair of oars with as smooth a finish as you will find anywhere.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
wheatie
Chromer

I think I used one of the Varathane products called "Liquid Plastic" or something like that. Put on 3-4 coats, still look good after 4 years.
wheatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Two Fister
Sturgeon

I've always used spar varnish and it works great. The only bit of advice that I can add is to let it cure for at least a week, if not two. The first time I did my oars I let them cure for the 48 hours recommended on the can. By the time I got from Macks Canyon to Snake in the Box (1 1/2 days) I had lost a substantial amount of varnish from it simply rubbing off. The next time that I redid them (shortly after that trip) I let it cure for 48 hours between coats and for two weeks before heavy use. It may have been overkill on the final cure, but it's been bulletproof!

Good luck!
TF
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
CHOSENBOY
Steelhead

Thanks folks for the help on the oars I will be working on them this eve. in hopes that the rain doesn't let up. Now I will be applying the spar varnish but do I need to seal them first and if so what type of sealer is the best. I do have extra oars for the boat so no worries about lettin 'em cure. Thank you again. Sallee