Post pics of your electronics installations. - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 01-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Gundog

Default Post pics of your electronics installations.

Hey guys show off your electronic installations. Also give some reasons why you mounted things the way and where you did.
Mike

Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
steelbiten
Steelhead

Default Re: Post pics of your electronics installations.

Here's some pics of my CD/Radio and switch panel. Had to do some cutting on the Dash, but this was the least conspicuous place on my Hewescraft Searunner. Easy for the passenger to change channels, but the captain is out of luck. Installed the speakers near the floor. I did put a radio remote near the rear seats.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
MacEFL
Tuna!

Thats messy?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
Wright Angle
Steelhead

Not much to explain, just tried to make it all accessible but still out of the way :grin:.. Fish finder, compass, GPS, VHF, trollmaster...W.A.

Wright Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
NorthRiverRick
Chromer

OK Gundog, here goes...

In the upper right on a RAM mount is the GPS/Fishfinder combo. The display lower and to the left is my radar on a Johnny Ray mount. My VHF is on the passenger side under the glove box. The fuel flow meter is the round guage on the far right under the GPS. The trim tab switches are going to go under the fuel flow as soon as I can afford the trim tabs to attach'em to. :tongue:

Why?

On my last boat I had the Fish finder low on the left where my radar is in this picture. My fishing friends always wanted to watch the screen, so I always had it tilted to the left and it was harder for me to see.

In addition, since the throttle is on the right you'll typically steer with your left. That meant you would want to control the buttons with your steering hand or cross over with your right. I did the crossover mostly since I'm right handed. That was an awkward wat to adjust the FF pointing away from that side.

With the GPS/FF on the right and high it's good for everyone's viewing and the controls are MUCH easier to get to by letting go of the throttle rather than the wheel. The RAM mount is very versatile in that corner location.

The only place left for the radar is where it is now, and a RAM mount would not work with the space there, hence, the Johnny Ray mount.

The spacings required from radio unit to anntenae and between antennaes made me put the VHF where it is. I also wanted to eliminate any interference between the sonar/transducer and the radio. That can make for very annoying radio reception.

The fuel flow is right over wher the controls are for the fuel and the tab controls will be right there also. Throttle, trim and tabs all affect fuel consumption so I thought that having them all right there together with the meter would be efficient.

I'm still trying to figure out where to put a compass so that it has even the slightest chance of pointing north

This will be similar to the space you'll be working with, hope it helps.

I'm more than happy to answer any other questions.
NorthRiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
Rocky
Chromer

Compass and CD/Radio which seemed like the only good place to mount it and out of the way, big speakers under the dash(s)

VHF easy install and access, fuel flow meter in the dash cluster, Depth finder easy for operator and passengers to read and located so upgrade will be easy and roomy, extra bilge pump switch behind the steering wheel so it dont get accidently bumped on
Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Gundog

Thanks guys this is a help the space looks real small with all the goodies added.

Thanks Rick,
I have been wanting two separate units for FF & GPS but after looking at yours I might be better off with a combo unit. I am also wanting radar and I don't think I can fit 3 displays in that space.
Mike
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
NorthRiverRick
Chromer

Gundog,

You're correct, there's not enough space for 3 displays. Since you're thinking about a radar, and want your GPS/Chartplotter seperate from the FF, you may want to consider a GPS unit that can have the radar added later. There are lots of new 'full system' approaches to marine electronics coming out all the time. Many new names are out in the market and you'll see the prices dropping quickly. These are very versatile and you can add options and functionality as you have the funds.

Take a trip to Rodgers Marine Electronics and let them explain some of the possibilities before you go seriously shopping to make a deal.
NorthRiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
Rod Holder
Steelhead

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?s...7e61817d82a862
the radar and chartplotter/fishfinder are up out of the way but easly visiable, VHF is on the shelf out of the way, all electrical components are well away from the compass so as not to interfere with it's acuracy. All electrical goodies are mounted to provide a quick removal for storage in the house when not in use.
Rod Holder is offline   Reply With Quote