Nail and staple guns? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
TheKing
Chromer

Default Nail and staple guns?

I searched this site but did not get this question answered.

I am building a barn that will have composite a shingle roof and Cedar shingle siding. The shingle siding is decorative and really expensive but it matches the house. I have been told that a staple gun is better than a nail gun for this application. If I buy the staple gun then can I use it for the composite shingles on the roof. If so how does the fastening strength compare to the round roofing nail? The salesman is telling me it's the same. I have been a hammer and nail guy my whole life and built houses to put myself through school but the nail guns are new to me.

for this project I could buy:
Framing nailer
staple gun

or framing nailer
staple gun
roofing nailer.
$250 more.

thanks

Am I too old, is it too late?
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
TAILOUT
Chromer

Default Re: Nail and staple guns?

I am a lisenced contractor that has done quite a bit of both. Staples are better for cedar shingles and round headed nails are better for roofing. If you live in a windy area I would highly recommened a round headed nail for any of your roofing applications.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
TheKing
Chromer

Thanks tail out that was my thinking. We get a 60+ blower ever year here.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
RODACTION
King Salmon

Old fashioned roofing nails will told down your roof best. As long as you do it correctly. They are far more consistant than a pneumatic staple gun. The staple gun will work fine, there are lots of roofs installed with them. Most of the time roofs are put down with a staple gun to save time, hand nailing will take alot longer. So if you have time....nailer down. As for your shingles ? Staple them. Also, if you staple, the old saying "messure twice and cut once" comes in to play. If you need to remove any staples because something is not lined up correctly, the little suckers are hard to get out ! Hey, have fun !!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
driftin buy
Steelhead

I spent 12 years in the roofing and siding buisness and have extensive experience with both types of nailers. I own and have use both nails and staples for roofing projects. It is my opinion that either type will do a graet job of holding your roof on if they are used and set up properly. By this I am refering to things like proper air pressure, fastener placement, and fastener size. It is my opinion that your fastener is only as good as the product that it is going into. If high wind is a concern I would do some extra shopping and check out many different shingle types, there are big differences. Staples should be fine for your siding.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #6
TAILOUT
Chromer

You can rent a roofing nailer cheap, and most places you rent from have nails to go along with the gun. I would definatly use a round head nail, I have seen one to many shingle blow off in the Troutdale area. Make sure you use a smaller nail when going through your eves area, otherwise youll have a shiner on the other side. If you are really "gun ho" you can self tab your shingles with some black tar after you lay them all down. If you dont want to do that you would be better off laying the shingles during alot warmer weather (that way they will bond together alot better0.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
TheKing
Chromer

Tailout, I will roof it late spring. Will start building in mid March. I did a tractor shed last summer and layed the shingles over two 100 degree days. That roof is like a one piece roof. :smile:

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
fisheromen
Tuna!

Comp roofs have been fastened with staples for years without any problem. Just make sure you aren't setting the staples too deep or too shallow. If you do decide to go with staples you should check the manufacturers installation instructions though. Some won't honor the warranty if the roof is stapled instead of nailed. If you do purchase a coil roofing nailer I highly recomend paying the extra for a model with depth adjustment as this will make the gun far more useful not only for roofing but also for other applications.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
TheKing
Chromer

Wow great deals to be had. I ended up with 4 nail guns,a stapler and a compressor for just under $700.

Home depot has 2 nail guns and the compressor for $299 and you get a coupon for a free stapler you have to mail in. I then bought the New clipped head Porter cable framer and the round head roofing nailer off Amazon.com for under$200 each with no shipping charges. .
Old 01-31-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
RODACTION
King Salmon

Nice, now you can get to work. One question for ya,...you did not mention nails or staples ? you did not forget did ya ?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
TheKing
Chromer

Have to buy them next but I had to do that with the hammer as well. :smile:

I used the finish nailer that came with 1000 nails to put to gether 10 behives this weekend. It would have taken me 2 hours with a hammer and it took 30 minutes with the nailer. Set up and takedown included. I am a nailing fool at this point.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:22 PM   #12
Tall-tailer
Steelhead

Most shingle manufacturers have an alternate nailing/stapling pattern for high wind exposure. Typically 6 fastners rather than 4. Once the shingles have tabbed/sealed down, the fastner is less important. Hand tabbing/sealing is advisable when warm weather is months away. When possible wait for late springs warmer weather.
Tall-tailer is offline   Reply With Quote