American Turbine Vs Kodiak w/3 stage pump - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 01-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Boats
Ifish Nate

Default American Turbine Vs Kodiak w/3 stage pump

Ok. This is a follow up question on jets.
What is the difference between the American Turbine and Kodiak pumps? Is one better than the other?

Brian

Old 01-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
WaterDog
King Salmon

Default Re: American Turbine Vs Kodiak w/3 stage pump

PM sent. :smile:
Old 01-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Jettin' Fool
Ifish Nate

Better yet... H212
Jettin' Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
LiveBait
Steelhead

Hi,
Does anyone have any information on preferences on Hamilton or American Turbine Jep Pumps? Also, what about engine size vs gas consumtion. I have seen some inboards with 302 and 351. I also know they use large blocks as well. Boat size would be between a 19 and 21 foot. I saw a website claiming hamiltons have more control at lower speeds and American Turbines have a higher top speed. Is this difference drastic? Any help or advice appreciated. masonk01@aol.com
Thanks...
Kyle Mason :smile:
LiveBait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
WaterDog
King Salmon

It kinda depends on your application. In the size of boat your looking at an AT is fine. I'd spend the extra on the new HTR reverse bucket however and that should give you better control and a lot better reverse. A Hami will give you better load capacity and is usually the pump of choice in bigger boats. Although the kodiak 3 stage is a great pump as well. Having the right impeller(s) is also key to getting good performance.

I have a H212 in my 22' and would not have it any other way. Great control at low speed, unmatched reverse thrust, and is very efficient.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
Duckworth Dave
Steelhead

I've had 6 jet boats which two have been inboard jet's. The first was a 21' Duckworth with a 460 ford and a berkley jet. It was a gas PIG. The boat I am running now is a 22' Duckworth with a 351 ford EFI and when it was new it had a American Turbin Jet and it was fine. My boat had sunk and during the recovery the jet was broken off so I had it switched to a Hamlton 212. They say I get better fuel with the 212 but who really knows. The 212 is quite a bit more money but it does perform well. I like the fact you can put the brakes on and you really stop. I run a full load most of the time 60 gal. fuel and 4 men. There are several things that I require from a boat.
1. Top / windsheild
2. Heat
3. tunes
4. VHF & CB radios
5. new kicker every 3 years
6. fish finder/GPS
7. back up GPS hand heald already programed
8. TR1 for the kicker
9. fuel ecomney the 351 EFI gets the best milage by far
I could go on and on but you get the picture. Always go bigger when it comes to a boat. You can always add the junk later. But that 351/212 comb it a winner and pushs my 22'er just fine.
Duckworth Dave
dance for those fish!
Duckworth Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:00 AM   #7
HOOKUP
Tuna!

Unless your planning on running a lot of whitewater I would suggest going with the American turbine and the best reverse. If you get a killer deal on the 212 its a better pump, but not worth the $$$ over a AT.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:13 AM   #8
weekender
King Salmon

Isnt that AT pump a single stage? If it is, then it works off pressure, where the Kodiak works off volume. With this being the case, the OT wont steer very well at low RPM,s because it isnt moving enough water. It will be like driving a car on ice. I would also venture to guess that with a presure pump your going to have a HIGHER minimum plaining speed.

Kodiak is the best pump out there at pumping trash. It even beats the 212 in that field.

When I'm browsing the classifieds, therea are only 2 pumps I'll consider. Kodiak for 20' and under and 212 for 21 and over. I dont care what they cost, because I'll get every penny back in resale value.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 AM   #9
jet
Sturgeon

"there are only 2 pumps I'll consider. Kodiak for 20' and under and 212 for 21 and over. I dont care what they cost, because I'll get every penny back in resale value".

I agree, I have had a AT and the above are really better for the larger boats. At the current count I have had all 3 and all 3 have worked well on the boats that they were on, but the Hamilton is by far the best hands down.

Jet~~~

I-Fish member #389
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #10
llama77
Tuna!

First off they are all good pumps!!
The American turbine is basically the same pump as a Berkely, legend, dominator and a few others. It is a mixed flow which means it not only pushes the water like a propeller but it uses Centrifical force to help develope pressure. It has a single impeller that can be sized for different applications. The Kodiak is a axial flow which means the water is basically flowing straight through the pump. It uses 3 impellers.
Fuel consumption. Berkely Jet drive use to have a comparison of fuel consumption between jets and props...
In the same boat with the same engine the jet drive usually had better fuel economy and depending on the type of boat better performance. The 460 is certainly capable of swallowing lots of fuel, but it may not be much worse doing the same work.
Low speed performance is a non issue, All the pumps will behave the same at low speeds. They will all be sluggish compared to a prop. If you need to turn a little faster with the AT, just give it a few more RPMs.
As far as planing, I dont believe the Hamilton will plane the boat at a lower speed than the AT or any other pump. Every boat has a power requirement to maintain a plane. It takes "x" amount of push to keep the boat on plane. It doesnt seem like it would matter wether the force was achieved by moving a 1200 gallons a minute at a slower velocity or 1000 gallons a minute at a higher velocity. There are many other factors that influence planning speed,, weight, hull width, angle of nozzle, balance of load.
They call the Hamilton a volume pump. However all the pumps mentioned will pump "volumes" of water, some more some less, and they will all pump that water at "pressure" Some More some less.
The AT has a distinct advantage that the Kodiak and the Hamilton dont. It has the ability of having a diverter attached to the nozzle so you can control your planing attitude.The nozzle can be pitched up and down so its better than trim tabs. They really havent caught on in the Jet sled world yet, but they offer some advantages. Do a search on " Place Diverters"

Several years ago my friend was researching a new boat. I contacted all the manufactuers and tried to get definitive information on how much water each pump would flow at different horsepower ranges. None would or could provide it.
Does the Hamilton pump more water than the AT? yep. How much more? dont know.
Again they are all good pumps. It really isnt a matter of one being the "best". You really need to examine all the pumps you can... ride in as many boats as you can and decide.
You might also want to call around and get a qoute on rebuilding all of these pumps. If you do go through an impeller(s) whats it going to cost to fix it????

Ugly dogs, What god made with the parts left over from the Duckbill platypus.
llama77 is offline   Reply With Quote