Hewes Craft vs North River , Flotation - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
id. painter
Ifish Nate

Default Hewes Craft vs North River , Flotation

I read something the other day that I wanted to run past the boat folks here at ifish.
I was told that North River puts no flotation in the boats over 20 ft. That it is not required by law and so the boats have none.
I was also told that Hewes Craft puts flotation in all the models,, regarless of length.
Whats the "real truth" ????
Does my friends 21 ft Sea Hawk have flotation or not ????
Thanks ... id. p.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Tagster
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Hewes Craft vs North River , Flotation

I don't think so...I am pretty sure that my 24' Seahawk does not have any flotation. I am also not sure that flotation is really required.

Here is some interesting reading for you from a Florida based fishing forum. There is currently a discussion going on about the pluses and minuses of foam.

foam flotation

What are your thoughts?

Tag
Old 01-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
TheRogue
King Salmon

I didn't click on the link, however, I've thought about this as well.

Foam quiets the boat, ESPECIALLY an aluminum one. It helps keep a metal boat warmer in cold water. And, of course, in case of disaster, it might help.

Foam also can soak up (to varying degrees) gas and oil from the bilge. Also, if you're fishing a lot and have bloody fishing flopping on the floor, a few months of soaking up some fish blood might be really disgusting. This can all be avoided by having some sort of seal around the foam, but all seals eventually get breached.

I originally ordered my 21' boat with spray in foam. I was talked out of it by the boat builder, he said if I was just mostly playing, it would be good, but since I almost exclusively fish out of it, the possibility of making a stinkin mess eventually was pretty good.

That being said, a fellow Ifish'er (FISHFINDER) has the same 21 foot boat as I do, and he got the foam. It sits on anchor and rides down the river SO much quieter, I think it also helps soak up the vibration.

If I was to do it again....I would look closer at doing spray-in foam, and figure out some sort of sealer for it.

And no, anything over 20 feet does NOT need the additional floatation to meet requirements.

TR
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
Tagster
Ifish Nate

When I bought my boat I wanted it to be as heavy as possible. I upgraged the side thickness and added a 110 gallon fuel tank. My thoughts were that a heavier boat that rides deeper in the water would cut through chop better than a boat that is riding higher. I think that foam would definitely be quieter (although, there isn't a lot of vibration in mine...of course my boat manufacturer is still in business j/k :shocked: ).
Old 01-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
id. painter
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the info guys.
I kill lots of fish and let them slime around on the floor of my boat . I have not had trouble with stench yet .
From what I see the foam is not in the bildge area low enough to soak up the fish blood. :whazzup:
Thanks for the info guys.

P.S. I just started to get the spring bug,,, bad. Im ready to fish. :grin: id. p.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
TheRogue
King Salmon

Quote:
(although, there isn't a lot of vibration in mine...of course my boat manufacturer is still in business j/k :shocked: ).
Ouch....the dagger....is going....into.....my back....

No-one ever said he wasn't a GREAT boat builder, he was just a really, really, crappy businessman!!

TR
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
Tagster
Ifish Nate

The Rogue-

I really debated posting that as you don't know me from Adam...I am glad you took it the right way!

I think that your boat is beautiful!

Tag
Old 01-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
USCGBoating
Tuna!

Federal law requires all boats under the length of 20 feet to be equipped with floatation. The only exceptions to that rule are kayaks, canoes, inflatable, submersibles, surface effect vessels, amphibious vessels, and race boats. If you are really bored and like to read technical information you can find the requirements in 33 CFR 183 Subpart F. This regulation gets right down into the weeds on what requirements manufacturers need to meet in order to market the boat. Boats over 20 feet may have flotation but it is not required. http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr183_04.html

Why boats only 20 feet or less in length? This is driven by statistics. The majorities of boating fatalities are form capsizing and sinking and are on boats 20 feet in length and under. There are many reasons for why these boats are susceptible to these types of accidents but the most common causes are overloading.

I am not trying to be critical but something said in this thread caught my interest and I wanted to expand a bit on adding weight to your boat to make it ride better. When you add weight to a boat you change its stability and can greatly reduce the vessels ability to safely do its job. If the changes made to the boat are by the manufacturer the difference in weight capacity should be noted on the load capacity plate in order to keep the recommended load within the safe operating parameters of the vessels design. If you order thicker metal and more fuel it will reduce the amount of passengers and gear that you are safely able to carry. As long as you are aware of that going into buying the boat there is no real problem. What becomes a safety concern is when people make changes without thinking about how they are affecting the stability characteristics of the boat.

If a better ride is what you are looking for hull design would be the key factor to consider. You will get a softer ride on a boat that has more deadrise. Deadrise is the angle of the hull form the keel to the chine. The more angle of rise the softer the ride will be in rougher water. Normally deep V boats have a deadrise in the upper 20 degree range. When you buy a boat with less than 20 degrees you are buying a boat that will inherently pound more in chop due to the flat surface. It is a trade off in what your intended use for the boat is and then choosing a style that fits that use. Adding weight will not fix that and in fact it will hurt.

Adding weight to a boat is somewhat like filling it with water. Although the free surface effect of water in a boat is more dangerous than solid mass it has virtually the same affect on stability. Additional weight reduces freeboard and a reduction in freeboard reduces the reserve buoyancy naturally designed into the boat. It also throws off the interaction between the center of gravity and the center of buoyancy designed into the boat to keep it stable. The more weight you add the less reserve buoyancy you have. The further away the center of gravity and buoyancy move the more unstable the boat and eventually the boat will become so unstable that it will capsize. This is probably is more information than you really wanted to know but sometimes I have a tendancy to run on a bit. If you want to learn more about vessel stability here is a web link. http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/nmc/ptp/pdf/fvsbklt.pdf
USCGBoating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
id. painter
Ifish Nate

Thank you very much . Mr C.G..
Makes perfect sense. All good things to keep in mind as you load er up with tuna. :grin: id. p.