Walleye? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 04-24-2002, 01:19 PM   #1
Rimshot
Tuna!

Default Walleye?

I am heading out fishing tomorrow and I'm thinking about trying for walleye. I have been springer fishing lately and I need a break from the action(yeah, right). I figure if I'm not going to catch any fish I can at least have something to blame it on(I've never caught a walleye). I have seen some decent numbers from the ODFW creel checks in the Dalles pool. I'm assuming the Rufus area. So, can someone point me in the right direction? Any recent reports? Any info on where to fish and what to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch :grin: .

Rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2002, 07:25 PM   #2
dan(or)
Coho

Default Re: Walleye?

Hi, I would try the preachers eddy, the shoreline up from Maryhill st park and maybe the willows. Please remember to release big fish over 24" Oregon has a great trophy fishery, or use to until they allow incidental catch for the native americans, those bigger fish are the brood stock. I would start out with bottom walkers and the touche special spinner.

good luck, keep the males and release the females.

dan
dan(or) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:38 AM   #3
handwound_stu_art
Fry

Try across from Multnomah falls. Big ol' crawlers and worm harnesses. Watch the river going back to the launch, it can get big quick. We know this right brother?? :grin:

oh by the way, I got offered the job.

Stu
handwound_stu_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
wishntobefishn
Cutthroat

Are the Walleye spawning right now? I'm heading to Rooster Rock tomorrow for some Sturgeon fishing, but I'd like to spend a couple hours trolling for Walleye. Anybody have any luck in that area?

I'm always on the lookout for a Walleye fishing partner. I've got the boat, but very little knowledge of Walleye fishing. If anybody is interested in taking a trip to the river some day, send me an email.
wishntobefishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:29 AM   #5
handwound_stu_art
Fry

I am not sure of the spawn status of the walleyes, however the water is warn enough for there to be fish activity. From rooster rock run upriver till you get to multnomah falls. fish between the bouys on the oregon side. There are eyes all over the river, watch for small drops or bottom cover. I have caught most of my fish on walkers W/worm harness spinners, but foxee jigs tipped with worm is good on calm days. Fish directly above a mark on you fish finder or just drift and jig. Most fish right on the bottom, and most takes on the fall. Watch the line.

Good luck

Stu
handwound_stu_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:41 AM   #6
Walleyed
Chromer

Do love that bugeye talk.Got my first big one by the island and got hooked myself.Try dragging a hot shot on the bottom in 20'.I go real slow and up river,You can feel it bounce and drag on the bottom.This isn't the way most people do it but after I got two 5lb bugeyes and my buddys kid got his hook in a springer I know we'll be doing it more often.If you hook bottom and it don't strip off line then chances are you got a bubeye good luck The skipper
Old 05-12-2002, 11:13 AM   #7
wishntobefishn
Cutthroat

My Walleye fishing didn't turn out too good yesterday. Launched at Rooster Rock, then headed river to Mult. falls. Stopped at a couple of spots to Sturgeon fish for a couple hours. Got several nice "shakers" but nothing to write home about. Once we got to Mult. falls, we trolled, using bottom walkers back down to Rooster Rock. Ended up with 2 ********* for our troubles. Since I'm new to Walleye fishing, I guess it's a matter of putting in the time to find the right place and right tackle.

Should I have gone straight out from Rooster Rock to the Washington side, then head down stream? How can you tell a rocky bottom vs. a sandy bottom?
wishntobefishn is offline   Reply With Quote