Trolling speed for trout? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-26-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Default Trolling speed for trout?

Was wondering what speed you like to troll for trout. I've always thought it was as slow as possible but experience based on rental boats or some other small boat with no gps or fishfinder to determine speed. We just put the boat in gear and that was it. The boat I have now is a 19' NR with a 9.9 Honda kicker and slow as possible is less than 0.8mph which seems too slow. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

backlash442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Gus Orviston
Flatlander

Default Re: Trolling speed for trout?

My first guess is that it is going to depend on species, time of year, type of feed (yada yada yada) I think it will vary a lot.

The best success I have ever had we trolled at .6-.8MPH, using a GPS. We were trolling wet flies, flasher needed a bit more to get going if I recall ~min of .8.

so where is the trout pond you are fishing?

gus
Gus Orviston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:43 PM   #3
Starfish

I don't do a lot of trout trolling but when I've done it at Potholes Res. it has varied a lot. One time (middle of winter) the fish wanted a dodger and fly trolled fast (2.5) and several times it had to be 0.6. I usually start fairly slow and make a lot of zigzags, and see if the fish are hitting on the outside (faster) or inside (slower) on the turns. Make adjustments from there. I've seen guys trolling 3 or 4 mph or faster... I have to assume they're catching fish.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
Spinhead
Steelhead

Only time I've trolled for trout was Lake Roosevelt, in Wa., early Oct. The fish liked a quick trolling speed, faster than steelhead trolling speed. No idea what MPH, just that it seemed a little fast to me (but the trout fell for it).

Law of the Jungle; Don't Bother Mowing...
Spinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
happybrew
Sturgeon

Like Starfish said, it varies alot. I've had 'em hit only at a fast speed, and had 'em hit only at a slow speed. A good zig zag pattern will give you a variety of speeds. If they're not hitting slow, go fast. If they're not hitting a a zig zag, go straight. Trout are like women. They change their minds alot.

happybrew
Old 11-27-2004, 12:44 AM   #6
jimh
Sturgeon

My best luck has been 2.7 to 2.8 GPS trolling needlefish.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:11 AM   #7
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Gus, I'm down in So. Cal. and the ponds are more like mud holes. Depending on the lake it could be down more than 50ft. No that's not a typo either. Fished one yesterday where the water was below the dam outlet. There are a couple that are fed by the Cal. aqueduct (sp?) that are fairly full otherwise things are pretty bad. Praying for a very wet winter.

Thanks for the info. I'll put it to use next time out and focus more on trout. Still getting a feel for the boat and have only fished in it a few times at lakes I've never fished and mostly not for trout. Fishing has been tough to say the least. Saltwater is soooo much easier imo.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:32 AM   #8
Gus Orviston
Flatlander

A good approach to finding the right speed is to Zig zag the boat,,, the outside lines will speed up and the inside lines will slow and drop, when the boat turn the slow line will accelerate. Give that some time, as you will be fishing several different speeds, and see what you learn.

gus
Gus Orviston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #9
KZ4LIFE
Steelhead

I would recommend what I always recommend. Try a 6" Konezone Trolling Flasher. www.konezone.com at a multitude of speeds, depths, colors and of course rotate baits and lures. Fish get lethargic with heat and lack of water. Sometimes you have to hit these slow speeds to be sucessfull. Troll in patterns and make turns often this is usually when they will strike. I have seen quite a difference in the methods used in California when compared to the NW. If you are looking for a good source of "Hot California Action" check out the Fishsniffer it is a good bet for your area. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #10
MightyBeav
Coho

Fishing the high lakes in the cascades, i like a wind speed drift. Enough to get my worm spinning, Sometimes when rowing, just the change in speed during a stroke will cause action. I say as slow as possible to get your lure, bait working

Mighty
MightyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #11
Last Cast King
Steelhead

In my experience .8 mph is often a little faster than you want for trout but it depends on how active they are. I agree with MB you usually want to go just fast enough to keep your bait/lure/flashers spinning, then speed up a little if that's not working well.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:26 PM   #12
Keta

The best answer that I can come up with is "Depends".

Water color and temp, depth fish are holding, time of day, species of fish, lure selection, and many more variables come to play. I guess this isn't much help

To start, drag whatever lure you are fishing alongside the boat and adjust your speed for the best action, then zig zag as you troll. If the outside rod (on the turns) catches more speed up, if the inside rod does slow down.

We generally troll large spoons (3"-4") fast for Klamath Lake trout.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:29 PM   #13
HotDawg
Steelhead

1-2 mph <font color="green"> </font>
HotDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
backlash442
Ifish Nate

Thanks for all the feedback. I knew that there were a lot of variables to consider. I just wanted to make sure I can't go to slow. One thing about speed vs. action of the lures is I like to use various lures while trolling. So while one may have a better action at a slower speed the other won't perform as well. Therefore should I stick to one type of lure while trolling? Say all rapalas or all spoons etc? One thing that has been very successful down here is trolling with swimbaits. Small 3" plastic swimbaits with a stinger in the tail has been a great tactic.

We mainly fish for rainbows with occassional browns mixed in. No lakers or kokes around here as they are up in central Cal. but would love to target them next year. I need to move to be around more water. Pacific Ocean just isn't enough.