85 Merc 60 problems - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 11-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
bugboy
Steelhead

Default 85 Merc 60 problems

Just had the electrical repaired on my new :grinused) Arima. Everyting looks in incredibly great shape for its age indicating it sat a lot. I also put in new plugs. Seems to get good spark. I drained the gas and added new but only after trying to run the boat and having issues. It now fires up and runs about 300 yards and bogs down and dies. It then has trouble but will sometimes idle but won't run normally. I let it sit a day and it does the same routine. I'm assuming it's a plugged, dirty carb. I am planning on getting some spray cleaner in it and letting it sit overnight. Any other ideas? After buying the boat and paying for the new electrical parts and all the goodies I wanted on the boat I'm pretty tapped out so I want to fix it without more mechanic time. I used to work on my 2 stroke dirt bikes some 20 years ago and was thinking about taking the carb apart and cleaning it but don't want to screw up. How tough is it to rebuild the carb without specific experience. Thanks
in advance for advice.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Grain of Salt
Chromer

Default Re: 85 Merc 60 problems

the bigger question isnt "IF" you can do it, (you can) it is, where would you take it to have it fixed?...I have become my own merc mechanic due to the lack of trustworthy, affordable mechanics in this area...get a manual, work slow and realize you are paying yourself to learn...it may save you a tow in someday. Likely time to replace the fuel pump gasket too...lots of fuel related issues cropping up from these age motors...I was charged 300 dollars for a complete carb rebuild (2 carbs) and 10 hours later the problem reappeared...I tore it apart in about 1 hour, reassembled in and hour and its worked perfect since, I could do it now in 1 hour...so go to it! OH and iboats.com has some great motor forums...hours of research there
Grain of Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
suckerfish
Chromer

The carbs are very easy to work with. I would recomend pulling the carbs apart one at a time. Use the fuel settings as a guide. Bottom out the screw while keeping track of the turns. This is where you want to set them during final assembly. The process is not difficult.

suckerfish
suckerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:36 AM   #4
bugboy
Steelhead

I had a revelation last night. The boat seemed to run okay when I had it set up on a small aux tank. I'm going to pull the fuel uptake tube in the tank and see if it has a clogged filter before messing with the carbs. This might explain why it runs okay at the start and then dies. A clogged filter may not be letting enough gas in for the motor. The smaller motor does okay off the main gas tank but obviously requires less fuel. BTW, where can I get a manual? Do the servicing marinas carry them? Looks like I'm in for anotehr possible fishless weekend.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
suckerfish
Chromer

For a manual check out oldmercs.com THEY SEEM TO HAVE A FEW PARTS and repair manual.

suckerfish
suckerfish is offline   Reply With Quote