Smoked Brisket - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 10-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
HeavyMetal BankFisherman
Ifish Nate

Default Smoked Brisket

I like slow cooked, mesquite smoked brisket. Texas barbeque. Well last weekend I cooked one up. Ten hours of slow cooking using wood in an offset cooker. It turned out excellent as usual. Only problem is I hardly had any for myself.

If I am going to go through the work I might as well do several at once. So that's what I am going to do this weekend. I can get probably three whole briskets in the cooker at once, maybe four.

I have never frozen any brisket but I would be using a Foodsaver to vacuum pack. Should I seal it up while still hot or let it cool down? I would hate to get freezer burn. Any tips on freezing?

I know there are plenty of smokers out there. You have to smoke more than just fish.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
fishingchef
Steelhead

Default Re: Smoked Brisket

always always let it cool before you packit. Otherwise you are inviting bacteria. Maybe even botchilism. Lay them out on a rack if you can in the fridge for 24 hours.

Then pack them in the food saver.
But I don't expect anyone who believes the lies of <petunias> to take my word for anything. Even though I have passed the usda tests for packing manufactured food.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:28 PM   #3
HeavyMetal BankFisherman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
always always let it cool before you packit. Otherwise you are inviting bacteria. Maybe even botchilism. Lay them out on a rack if you can in the fridge for 24 hours.

Then pack them in the food saver.
But I don't expect anyone who believes the lies of bushes to take my word for anything. Even though I have passed the usda tests for packing manufactured food.
Thanks for the helpful info on bacteria. :smile: I will definately let them cool down before packing.

Will be going to New york In a couple weeks. Plan on taking some brisket out there. The closest thing I have ever found in the northeastern United States that you could even call barbeque is Jamaican chicken. But at least you can get soft shelled crab.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
pearl
King Salmon

Wife made vegetable lasagna for dinner tonight. Smoked brisket sounds alot better.

We need to get all the inspiring chefs together this spring for a little ifish BBQ competition.

I entered a few amateur cook offs this past year and held my own.

I'll see your brisket and raise you a pork butt

Pearl
Old 10-22-2004, 06:34 AM   #5
Troller
Chromer

When I slow cook in my water smoker I allways do extra. Last time I did brisket. Let it cool and sliced it and vaccuum sealed it . 6 months later cut open a pack the smoke hits you in the face and makes your mouth water. I take that way camping or fishing for making sandwitches. Damn now I am hungry.
Troller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
walkersteelhead
Chromer

What temp do you smoke your brisket in your water smoker. I might try this weekend.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Troller
Chromer

I have a charcoal watersmoker so exact temps are not allways controllable. I am happy as long as it is anywhere between 200 and 235 for about 10 - 12 hours depending on size of the brisket. If for any reason your meat seems to be cooking to fast. Just wrap it in foil and seal in the juices that will keep it from drying out. I dont worry about keeping the smoke going all day long. But hit it heavy with wood chips the first 2 or 3 hours. This may sound a bit lazy but last year for xmas santa bought me a meat thermometer that you poke a probe into the meat and the probe connects to a little sending unit. It sends the signal to the controller and I can set it next to where I am at and glance over and see what temp the meat is at. It works up to about 125 feet. That way I can keep an eye on how it is doing with out heading into rain or stopping what I am doing to run over and look how the meat is cooking.

One thing I really like to do with mine is smoke a cooked ham for about 4 or 5 hours basically your just raising it to serving temp. But by adding the extra smoke it tastes so much better. I will also throw a disposable aluminum pan underneath of it with a couple of cans of baked beans so the ham juice drips into the beans I do this the last two hours before the ham comes off.
Troller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:36 AM   #8
jokester
King Salmon

Quote:
We need to get all the inspiring chefs together this spring for a little ifish BBQ competition.
Now THAT sounds like a great idea!! If you guys go through with it, I volunteer to be Judge #1! :grin:

MMMMMM......smoked brisket...pork butt...slow cooked meat....WHERE'S THE DROOLING ICON!!!!

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." -Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:30 AM   #9
brshooter
Ifish Nate

Nothing like good "Q". Have had a couple of water smokers over the years. Nothing better than a good pork butt or picnic roast. A pulled pork sandwich & slaw sounds really good about now.
Brisket is good eats as well. Just partial to pork.
HMBF, What did you use for a mop sauce? Sounds crazy, but many of the competitive teams use Dr. Pepper in their mop sauce. I have tried it and it works very well.
Ifish Member #445

"The virtues of those elected reflect the virtues of those who elect them."
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:36 AM   #10
12pulls
King Salmon

so the <petunias> are responsible for botulism and other food problems? I always thought it was kitchen staff who didn't wash their hands after going to the bathroom Hey it was a joke. No <petunia> debate is allowed on ifish.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:26 PM   #11
StinkyH
Tuna!

Old 10-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #12
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
What did you use for a mop sauce? Sounds crazy, but many of the competitive teams use Dr. Pepper in their mop sauce. I have tried it and it works very well.
I use a mop sauce that uses grape juice for the base.

1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (like Texas Pete or Tabasco)
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups grape juice

Quote:
Oh man... What kinda smoker you using? I have a little chief, but I feel a calling to ask for a larger more serious smoker for Christmas.
I have had a Traeger for the last couple of years that does a killer job but still use my charcoal Brinkman from time to time.

Here is one of my favorite rubs. This is not my competition rub but one that works well.

1 1/2 TBS fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 TBS lemon pepper
1 TBS cayenne pepper
1 TBS dried basil
1 TBS garlic powder
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash original
1 TBS onion powder
3 tsp. paprika
3 TBS salt
yellow mustard

Allow the meat to come to room temperature before applying a thin coat of the mustard. Thoroughly combine the dry ingredients and sprinkle "like salt and pepper" or just a little heavier. Cook until the center of the pork reaches 185.

One of lifes simple pleasures is to fire up the smoker in the driveway, pull up a lawn chair, crack a cold adult beverage, light a fine cigar and watch the smoke bellow out for 12 hours.

White trashin "Garden Home" style at it best.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:28 PM   #13
gthfish
Steelhead

The brisket sounds great--have to try it! I smoke 15 or 20 pork tenderloins just before Christmas each year and bring to family gatherings--I have to crowd in line to get any for myself. At first I just bought the little packages of pre marinated tenderloins at 6.00 per pound, but experimented around with my marinades and like them better. You cant screw thhe tenders up. I use apple wood chunks and lots of smoke the first couple hours.P.s., I talked my butcher down to 3.29 per lb. when I bought in volume (unmarinated)
gthfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:23 AM   #14
HeavyMetal BankFisherman
Ifish Nate

All I ever use for a mop sauce is white vinegar with water in a spray bottle. I don't spray that often because I don't like to open things up and lose heat. I don't think you need to be worried about brisket as long as you put the fat layer up. It will stay plenty moist after many hours. I keep a pan of water in the cooker as well.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:59 AM   #15
crabbait
King Salmon

Two full briskets just went in the smoker..........
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:45 AM   #16
walkersteelhead
Chromer

Is mop sauce just something you use to keep the meat moist.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
HeavyMetal BankFisherman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Two full briskets just went in the smoker..........
Everyone's invited for brisket at Mr Crabbaits at 5:00 pm.

Just kidding. I just got back from moms after putting my briskets in the cooker. I got a late start.

Walkersteelhead
Mop sauce is used to help keep the meat moist. I just use a simple vinegar mop sauce most of the time. I put a good rub on brisket consiting of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Also, it is best to use whole brisket. You typically find trimmed flat cuts in the supermarket. Ask the butcher for a whole brisket. Don't trim it. Smoke it with the fat layer up. The layer of fat on it will keep the meat moist while cooking.

The key is to cook it low and slow. Brisket is a tough cut of meat and it takes time to break down and become tender. It is well worth the wait if you do it right.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #18
brshooter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Also, it is best to use whole brisket. You typically find trimmed flat cuts in the supermarket. Ask the butcher for a whole brisket. Don't trim it. Smoke it with the fat layer up.
I agree 100% The point is the best part of a brisket. The flat is primarily used for pastrami. Never been able to just find the point section of a brisket though.

I belonged to a BBQ list back in the 90's. I have a copy of the FAQ I could forward to anyone who is interested. It covers some of the smokers, rubs, mops, sauces, and various meats. I have a html version (725k zipped) and a word version (330k zipped). Shoot me a private message with your e-mail address and I can send it to you.
Ifish Member #445

"The virtues of those elected reflect the virtues of those who elect them."
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:33 AM   #19
walkersteelhead
Chromer

Thanks everyone for the info. Brisket is going in the smoker as soon as smoker is heated up.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:35 PM   #20
HeavyMetal BankFisherman
Ifish Nate

Here is a follow up to the Brisket Factor. These babies are from this last weekend. They called them center cuts at the meat market. I got them at New Seasons and Whole Foods. Couldn't find any last minute Whole organic briskets. But these worked just fine. They were cooked in a Brinkman offset cooker/smoker. I used lump charcoal from Wild Oats. I used ten pounds of charcoal and five pounds of mesquite chunks. At five dollars for eight pounds of lump charcoal, and the same for the mesquite. That is ten dollars for fuel. I can live with that. Lump charcoal burns so much cleaner than pressed. Pressed has coal and other stuff in it.

I minimally rubbed the briskets down with a mixture of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin "just a little", paprika, and my own secret ingredient. I have found that less is better. The method being used to cook the brisket will provide all the flavor you need. Cooked at 200 degrees for almost ten hours. Spray with a mixture of vinegar and water every two to three hours. Yum Yum Yum. Fork tender and juicy. Cooked fat side up keeps it nice and moist. And they wanted to trim the fat at the store. You can also see the pan of sauce ingredients in the back. I like to get that smoke taste into the sauce as well.

I am working on perfecting my sauce. Expect to see it at a store near you soon.

Gotta go. Making a sandwich.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM   #21
pearl
King Salmon

Looks awesome

Wish I could reach into my computer and cut a piece off.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:09 PM   #22
jokester
King Salmon

Oh dude...you're killing me with those pics :tongue: I need a rag to wipe the drool off my keyboard If you need a taste tester to make sure everything's ok with that BBQ, let me know :grin:

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." -Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:13 PM   #23
JCJ
Steelhead

Hey HMB,ther is a place in Parkrose that sells real charcoal in chunks,not that pressed filler stuff a lot of people use.He has a lot of different woods also,hickory mesquite,pecan,cherry,apple and he has mesquite charcoal in chunks.Last time I bought from him I think it was about 15-17 dollars for a 50# bag of charcoal with various prices on the wood.His business is called Fast Track Marketing in Parkrose.I found out the United Grocers in Clackamas has the mesquite charcoal also and I believe it is cheaper than his was.Yummy,Brisket or Pulled Pork anytime,anywhere.
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #24
WyEm
Steelhead

I've used Fast Track Marketing for some of my wood chunks, but Sportsman's Warehouse also sells wood chunks. I picked up a bag of cherry chunks a couple of months ago. Cherry is my favorite Q wood. If you are just getting started making real Q, a brisket is a tough beast to master. I would recommend a pork butt (called pork shoulder blade roast here), its pretty hard to mess one of those up and makes some really good eats.

I would love to join in an ifish Q comp! Bring it on. I have also done a few local competitions and they are a blast! Keep in mind that if brisket or butts are going to be competition meats, the competition needs to be an overnighter.
Psalm 139:23-24
WyEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #25
pearl
King Salmon

Thought I would keep this post going a while longer.

One of my top 5 passions is slow cooking on the smoker. I was taking three of my buddies fishing for a few days last week and this was our lunch on the river. We ended up doing pulled pork sandwiches and in my biased opinion they were spectacular

This pork butt was done over a period of 12 hours using a mix of hickory and mesquite and mopped every 30 - 45 minutes with apple juice.

Note the probe coming out of the meat. My wife bought me a wireless themometer that allows you to get the meat to the perfect temp. The base stays at the smoker and the receiver clips on my belt and beeps me when the meat is done. I love technology.

Serve on home made bread and wash it down with a cold adult beverage
Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #26
HeavyMetal BankFisherman
Ifish Nate

Thought I would bring the brisket back. Smoked two briskets on Sunday. Over twelve hours of cooking time.

I have done alot of experimenting since I originally made this post. Injections, wet marinades, dry rubs, wine, different spices, etc...

Conclusion, simple is better.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder is all you need. It is all in the cooking. Slow cooking and wood is a big factor. I mix mesquite with alder.

Picture me dipping a sliced brisket sandwich into some homeade sauce and taking a bite.

I did not take pictures so these old ones will have to do.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #27
River Ranger
King Salmon

TTT

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
River Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #28
Wrangler
Steelhead

Man we ate the last brisket off our cattle from last year. Looks like we go shopping for some you made me very hungry. All I have is some fresh Halibut and some nice black sea bass he he.
Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #29
River Ranger
King Salmon

My wife just got me a new off set smoker grill combo for my birthday so I will be putting this info to good use,first up though is baby backs!!!

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
Old 05-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #30
RODACTION
King Salmon

Brisket is my favorite next to ribs......just thought I would tell you for doing ribs if you dont have a rib rack get one. Your finished product will turn out better.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #31
River Ranger
King Salmon

Do you know if someone makes racks that will hold a full rack of ribs?

Next weekend I will be making roughly 8 to 10 rib racks and need to put them on racks since I don't have enough room on the grill.

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
Old 05-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #32
RODACTION
King Salmon

When I was looking for one I could not find the "right one" for my unit, well maybe I should say I thought they were way to much $$$$. I ended up making my own out of aluminum stock and nuts and bolts.....it works great and I can do 7 racks at a time.

I just Google searched for one on line, I could not find one in town.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #33
River Ranger
King Salmon

I did find one online for $50,might do some more lookin in town first.

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
Old 05-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #34
Catcherman
Chromer

Hey River Ranger,
I saw a good size rib rack at the Bed Bath and Beyond tonight in Gresham Station, on the wall just after you walked through the front door! It was longer and wider than webers! Sorry I did not see the price though!

Tom
Catcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #35
River Ranger
King Salmon

Thanks Tom!I did not know they sold that stuff,and I'm just a few minutes away.Thanks again.

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
Old 05-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #36
Amahnee
King Salmon

The mart that is bi sells a propane smoker that is big and does an outstanding job on briskets, ribs, as well as smokes. Does that make sense?

Anyway it's a Smokey Mountain and runs off propane. It comes in two sizes and sells for around $170. They are frequently on sale for around $30 off.

Probably a little more than you want to spend, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #37
alwyze fishin
Chromer

the Smokey Mountain does a good good did a ribbi roast this last weekend