FISH TRAP LURES - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Marty
Chromer

Default FISH TRAP LURES

I thought I would start a new thread after reading about the interest in swim baits. I talked with Dean at Englund Marine and Barry at Fish Trap Lures and we came up with a deal. The price would be $.75 each (for a box of 50, $37.50), and they would drop shipped for free here (Dallas, Or)or at Englund Marine in Newport (one or the other). We would need to order a 1,000 for that price, BUT, if we didn't quite make the 1,000 order Dean said he would purchase some for his use as inventory next year. I gave him the scenario of; if we came up with 800, would he purchase another 200 for his future inventory and he said no problem. If we only came up with 500, I don't know if he would want to purchase another 500 for his use, but we will find out.

So..........who is interested in getting fish trap lures. Please.......only those who have the interest and the funds. Only boxes of 50 per color. People can mix and match when the order gets here. I will collect the money and write a single check to save the hassle for Englunds. I also have a jig head mold that someone can use, Jerry (TWB)has a similar one, but that can be at a later date.

Jerry..........if you are reading this, I told Dean to wait on your order (nice guy eh!!), but I have some channel island chovies here if you need them for a current trip (like this week-end)

Let us see what kind of numbers we are talking about before we start sending checks.

Maybe Mark Mc can post the newest color chart from charkbait so we can get current colors and numbers.

Bring it on!!!!

Right now we have Jerry with 1 box of channel island chovy, so only 950 to go.

Marty

Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
skein
is on the big blue pond again

Default Re: FISH TRAP LURES

Add Skein's box of 50 Channel Isle Chovey and you're down to 900! :grin:

I may be interested in some mix or match stuff as well, but I do want the box of CIC.

Thanks, Marty, for doing the legwork on this.

Skein
Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
HawgJaw
Steelhead

I will take a 50 box of the CIC's. Let me know where to send the check. Thanks Marty, Kasey
Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Beer Waggin
Tuna!

Oh yeah, I need some more tuna gear too...

Put me down for a box of CIC's and a box of the purple haze.

Thanks Marty!

I can pick up at Marty's and run a bunch of these up to P-town also.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #5
Bank Maggot
Steelhead

I thought id throw this out there also i posted it on another thread about swimbaits.

i also checked out another company and found these two colors

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/50...m/3877h07.jpeg

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/50...m/3877h61.jpeg

these are both made by another company, i've been told that they are good baits and hold up well.

i just got off the phone with the distubution manager and he told me that if we put in an order of 1000 we could get them for $27 per box of 50 5 inch baits

if anybody is interested in these let me know and we can get an order together and on its way.

matt

Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll be too busy fishing to eat.
Bank Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
Threemuch
King Salmon

50 Black Back Chovie (no 23 on the fishtrap color chart)for threemuch.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
Phil Layer
Ifish Nate

Me too for 50 of the chovies.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Bank Maggot, As a swimbait afficionado, I can tell you that there are many subtle differences between different manufacturers. If it were me, before considering a purchase of a new brand, I would want to see & hold some samples, and fish with them. The photos you post clearly shows that the paddle (end of tail) is at a different angle than a genuine Fishtrap brand swimbait. You also said:

Quote:
i've been told that they are good baits and hold up well.
Who told you this? Someone who you know, who is unbiased an fishes them the way we do? Or the salesman? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just point out that there are differences.

I would respectfully suggest that, since the title of this thread is "Fishtrap Lures", and because Marty has kindly offered to set up this deal out of the goodness of his heart, that this thread keeps to the subject of a bulk purchase of Fishtrap Lures. I would further suggest that you get some samples of the "other" brand made available, and if there is interest, start a separate thread that focuses on that brand.

Thanks, Mark

Pro staffer for generic aspirin
Mark Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

Put in for a box of CIC for SeaSparrow as well.
Thanks a bunch for organizing this! :smile:
Old 09-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
Bank Maggot
Steelhead

I was told about these by a buddy of mine that fishes tuna out of san diego, he claims that he likes them more than fishtraps, and he told me that i could get them cheaper if they were bought in bulk.

here is a link to there site

i Am in no way trying to hijack your thread marty, just throwing out some info.

thanks for putting in the effort Marty

http://www.swimbait.com/hammer.htm

matt

Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll be too busy fishing to eat.
Bank Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #11
kenai
Tuna!

I'm good for a box of the purple haze. Thanks for the effort.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:07 PM   #12
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Hi Matt, OK now we're getting somewhere. Here's what I can tell you about the "Big Hammer" brand.

For the same length swimbait, compared to the "Fishtrap" brand the paddle (tail) on a "Big Hammer" has a bit more area, and is squared off, vs the rounded paddle of the "Fishtrap." What this does (based on my own empirical research)....is that the Big Hammer style will flutter with less movement than the equivalent Fishtrap. So it may be easier to impart movement to it when casting or drifting. However, it will tend to have too much movement when trolling. So I definitely prefer the Fishtrap style for trolling, and it doesn't matter to me so much when casting because I know how much "twitch" & retrieve speed to give it when casting. To be fair, one could argue that for a novice, the Big Hammer might be a better choice for casting / drifting. There you have it....my unbiased opinion :grin:

Old 09-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
FishGitter

Put me down for a box of 50, color TBD.

----
Mike
Webmaster oceaned.org / saltwatersportsmensshow.com
FishGitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
Reelentless
Tuna!

Marty-

I will take 100. I will stop by sometime before you place the order to drop off the money and to talk about which color you catch all your fish on. Oh and how to use them too!

Thanks for making this happen!!

Todd
Reelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #15
Metal Manipulator

Put me down for a box of Chanel Island Chovie's. I can't pass this up I've had too much fun casting fish traps.
Morrage location Newport
Boat lady Irish

NW CUSTOM BOAT WORKS

nwcustomboatworks.com

WE BUILD CUSTOM ARCHES
Metal Manipulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:53 PM   #16
Marty
Chromer

By my calculations, we are up to 650 for confirmed orders. Only another 350 and we are good to go.

Jerry........can you get a source for those worm welders, so we can make repairs on the boat for torn or damaged trap body's.

Thanks,

Marty
Old 09-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #17
RJ
Steelhead

RJ and Wak will take a couple hundred marty (in assorted flavors) just tell me where to send the check
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #18
treegolfer
Steelhead

Marty, put me on the list for 50 CIC and 50 Purple Haze. What jig head mold do you use for these?

Thanks,
treegolfer
treegolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #19
TWB
Chromer

Marty, That's no problem about holding the order on the 50. They were for next season anyway. Dean is holding 15 of, I think color #23 for me, so I can fish this weekend. They will work just as well. Just make sure Dean doesn't put the 1000 bait order on my credit card ......!!!!

As I said on the other post, the offer still stands for the jig head mold. That can be a good winter get together type project.

I'm taking my old jet sled to Serven Marine in Newport for repairs tomorrow, so I will stop by Englunds if anyone needs something.

Let me do some research on the welder. Mine is great for smaller bass worms, but a little light duty for the mass of plastic in the fish traps. However it does work. I will report my findings back on the board.
TWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #20
apparentgenius
Chromer

I'll take 50 of CIC or any color if someone wants to mix and match.

Glen
Old 09-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #21
TWB
Chromer

Treegolfer, my mold is a DO-IT Shad Head Jig, Model #SHB-3-L. It has three cavities,1oz, 1.5oz, and 2oz. It takes 5/0, 6/0, and 7/0 hooks. When buying hooks for saltwter jig heads, you want to buy the tinned ones. They don't rust as quickly as the bronze steel hooks.

The heads from this mold are rounded. The heads from Marty's mold are square shouldered like the heads they sell at Englund's for the traps. It doesn't make a bit of difference. I am using the 1.5oz for casting and the 2oz for trolling. The 1oz, 5/0 hook, is to light to be practical for our needs. Unless you are throwing some of the small traps. I have a bullet head mold that I use on bottom fish, plastic baits. That will work also. I used it until I bought the shad head mold.

Marty could fill you in on the number of his mold. They are available at the tackle dealer that I mentioned on the other thread.

Hope that helps.
Jerry
TWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:21 PM   #22
WP
Ifish Nate

Marty,
Put me down for 50 of CIC and 50 of Purple Haze...along with set-up instructions from you and Dr. Mc. I WILL learn to fish these!!!
Dave
Old 09-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #23
Deepslayer
Tuna!

Marty I will take 100. I will let you know the colors later. I think I can find my way out to the barn (workshop) behind your house again with the money. I appreciate your doing something like this again.
,Ed
Deepslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #24
Booja 1
Tuna!

Hey Matt,

Yeah the Big Hammer and AA brand of swimbait are not too well know in these parts. Guys down south have access to all that stuff and like with alot of things, it's personal preference and whatever you have confidence in. And all the plastic companys have similar color combinations too. Does the Big Hammer and AA stuff catch fish, ubet they do, and along with the Fishtraps, it's not only Albacore being caught with em. But since Marty and Mark MC have to restock their supply of Fishtraps, (because they caught so many on the plastic) they have been nice enough to include everybody, like what Marty did with the totes. I really think Barry B has given both Mark and Marty stock in the company for seeing his business in the NW suddenly go from next to nothing to what it is now and climbing. Thx for your input on another brand, but I'm sure folks are pretty satisfied with the results using the Fish Traps.......

Les
Booja 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #25
Marty
Chromer

We are over the "Big Hump", so I will post tomorrow about an address and misc. info for all.

I wish I had some stock in Fish Traps Lures, but I think Barry felt sorry for me as I have been buying from him for so long he made me a Pro-staffer and I get a couple boxes a year for research and development. Something you guys may not know is that Barry, the Fish Trap owner has been named as one of the top 20 best fisherman on the westcoast by two different saltwater magazines. He is the real deal and gets to fish all over the globe. I actually hate him!!

My mold is a 1oz and a 1 1/2 oz., just like the ones that they sell at Englunds. In fact, I may be supplying Englunds next year if I can get a mold modification or a drill to allow the eyes to be recessed slightly into the mold. I usually us a 7/0 hook for the 1 1/2 oz. and a 5/0 for the smaller one. Like Jerry said, it would be good to have a couple of winter party's to make jigs. I will soon have available the hook styles and prices if somebody wants to come over and make 40 or 50 or whatever. If that doesn't work, just borrow it and return later in the week.

Talk to everyone tomorrow.

Marty
Old 09-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #26
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Funny thing....on our 50-fish trip last week, all I used were my home-made 2-tone green swimbaits. Now I have a shredded pile of them. So Marty, I think you owe me for some of those!!!

On a serious note....Marty, please put me down for 50 of the Hawaiian "Zappa" color, and 50 of the "Sorry Saury".

Good thing this order is going in now; maybe we'll get them by about the first of April.

Thanks bud!

p.s. Glen (Genius)...let's talk about splitting an order, mix& match?

Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 PM   #27
apparentgenius
Chromer

sounds good mark, you specify and the Texan and I will chip in for 50.

Glen
Old 09-29-2004, 09:47 PM   #28
tady
Steelhead

I have had luck catching Tuna on all 3 major brands of swim baits (fishtrap, Big hammer and AA Worm king) They all work well some work better on some days than others. The only real big diffrance is the Big Hammer tuna slider baits they are designed for high speed (7-12 knots) trolling. The baits have a smaller tail and a fatter body made from tougher plastic. At the end of the day all 3 brands of swim baits catch fish well.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:25 AM   #29
KeyWest
King Salmon

I would like the following:

1 Box (50) of Channel Islands Chovey (#74)
1 Box (50) of Purple Haze (#29)
1 Box (50) of Sardine (#31)
1 Box (50) of Silver Chovey (#41)

Thanks! Any thoughts on the logistics of distribution once you get all of these?
Old 09-30-2004, 05:49 AM   #30
Fishplay
Ifish Nate

I gotta get in on this deal also. Mix/match sounds good to me. Jim, what other colors are you interested in.

I'm good for a couple hundred Marty and would love to get together and make some Jigs with ya.

Put me down for a box of Black Back#23 and a box of Skipjack#58.

Would like to trade some of the above with someone ordering Channel Island Chovie and Purple Haze.

Thanks for puttin it all together!!

Member #472

Trophy 2059 Hardtop (BrineTime)
Fishplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:28 AM   #31
id. painter
Ifish Nate

O.k.. its time to start on the tuna tackle box.
Put me down for a box {50** CIC.
Seems like the one??? id. p.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #32
Hook'd
Steelhead

I'm in for a box of 50 CIC.
Thanks!
Hook'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:40 AM   #33
skein
is on the big blue pond again

Marty, put me in for another box of the CIC. That gives me 100 instead of the 50 in my original order.

Skein
Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 AM   #34
Marty
Chromer

O-K, O-K..........we got enough for the next stage, so here is the info.

Please send the following info;

1. ifish name
2. real name and address
3. phone number
4. list complete name of color wanted, plus the number
if you know it. I know most of the numbers.
5. Send $37.50 per box of 50 to;

Marty Stott
12540 Beck Rd.
Dallas, Or. 97338
(503) 623-6665

Is ten days enough to allow checks to be sent???? I am in no real hurry, but some of you may. Anyone who has not posted yet and wants traps can send the above info to me and they will be included.

Distribution can be arranged by people living in a given geographical area (like Portland)and thus picked up by one person. I will show up at any TA meeting or for a shipping fee, I will send them to your house. Does $3.00 a box sound about right for shipping???? If so, include that with your check and I will send them soon after they arrive. Or we can plan a time to meet here and make lead heads, swap colors, drink beer and talk tuna. I will contact the plant and hopefully they will let me know what they have in stock or how long it may take to complete the order.

Marty
Old 09-30-2004, 07:37 AM   #35
Deepslayer
Tuna!

Hey Mark, I wouldn't mind splitting a mix and match order with you and Glen too.
,Ed
Deepslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:49 AM   #36
corrirod

Thanks for doing this Marty.

I'd like a box of Purple Haze please.
Original Ifish member #102

Offshore Guardian Marine Safety Training - Salty Dog Sponsor

Oregon Coalition for Educating Anglers Board Member (www.oceaned.org)
"A ship in harbor is safe--but that is not what ships were built for." - Admiral Grace Hopper
corrirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #37
Mark Mc
King Salmon

It's apparent that a lot of people are asking for Channel Island Chovie. I'll share an approach with you that might help in your decision.

I have found that a particular set of patterns will cover most all situations.

(1) an anchovy or sardine pattern (dark back & silver belly, with or without the "accent" stripe), such as the #78 CIC or the #58 Skipjack or #28 purple chovy);

(2) a green bait pattern. #39 key lime, which has a green back & a clear w/glitter body, or # 49 key lime hologram;

(3)an orange/ black, or brown bait pattern (which looks kind of bizarre but every year there are days when this one is hot). #60 fire tiger, or #33 olive brown bait or #44 brown haloween

(4) Maybe not it's own group but a subset of #1...the dark / purple combos. They used to have a purple & black; it's not on the chart... The only thing close is #29 Albie special with purple back & clear black belly (the old version had solid black).

Each one of these groups has different options that fit the group. I have not noticed much of a fish-catching difference within each group.

But sometimes we do see a distinct preference between one group and another on a given day, or even in a different presentation. For example I recall one day when the orange/brown bait, trolled 20 feet back in the prop wash, got bit over & over, when nothing else would get bit in the prop wash.

So you might think about buddying up with one or two folks and getting a little variety.

[image] [/image]

Go to http://www.fishtraplures.com/

then select "color guide" to view them up close with part numbers.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #38
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

What size would be recommended? 5", 6", or ??
Old 09-30-2004, 12:31 PM   #39
Reelentless
Tuna!

Thanks for the tips on color selection, Mark.

Im always amazed by the efforts folks on this board make to help out the new guys in this sport, i.e. me!
Reelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:50 PM   #40
FishGitter

Thanks Marty! The check and info will be out in tomorrows mail.
For those that want to swap, I have decided on the Skipjack (#58).
----
Mike
Webmaster oceaned.org / saltwatersportsmensshow.com
FishGitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #41
wthr4d
Sturgeon

if some of you guys from the Linn Benton area have a few extra I would like some but don't want a whole case, maybe a mix and match to fill a few blanks in the tackle box?

TWB- if you want to put together a leadhead pour party let me know I've got a a few pounds of old pencil lead and split shot I'll never use for its intended purpose waiting to be put to good use. I just dont have the facilities to convert it into bullets or jigs or sinkers.

paul

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #42
Maverick Maxcat
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the effort! I'll try 50, pick some good colors for me.

Thanks, MM
Maverick Maxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:50 AM   #43
RJ
Steelhead

Marty,could you replace my #35 with a box of #44 or something close to the same color ..Thanks...RJ
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:10 AM   #44
Dynamite
Steelhead

Marty,

I will take a box of CIC and a box of purple haze. The check is in the mail.

Thanks for doing this!!!
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #45
rockn'reel

Mary,
I pick up a box of CIC and a box of purplr haze thanks and I am sending the check now.
R&R

Welding and Fabrication - Boat & Trailer Repair
Certified Grill Repair Center
rockn'reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #46
Puffin
Ifish Nate

Please put me down for 50 purple haze. Thanks
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote