bank fishing for springers in tillamook bay - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
winterkill
Tuna!

Default bank fishing for springers in tillamook bay

This weekend I was thinking about going down to Tillamook Bay to fish for springers, my question is where are some good spots to fish from the banks for these guys. Also I will be using a bobber, so any advice or tips are greatly appreciated in advance, thanks. :whazzup:

winterkill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Hooker
Chromer

Default Re: bank fishing for springers in tillamook bay

If you want to fish the bay, try the jetty. I know guys who go down and bobber fish during the incoming tide. Plan on using 2-4 oz. Use a double hook with a plug cut herring. Start with your bobber stop around 7 feet and go deeper until you start getting bites. One good tip is to hold the bobber in the current at the end of the swing. That will really get your herring working. You also might want to brine your herring to toughen them up a bit.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
winterkill
Tuna!

which jetty do you mean? Also what about near the mouths of the rivers would they be good right now? I heard that fishing off the dock next to the Tillamook Hospital is another good spot, is this true? thanx
:whazzup:
Old 05-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
Old dog
Coho

Winterkill, a few years ago in September on the way back to Salem from Cannon Beach, I stopped by the north jetty - not far from the store there and just south of the campsite entrance. Saw a couple of fish roll not too far out near some crab pots. So, decided to cast out a rainbow spinner with 2 oz. swivel weight, and what a surprise. A real bright salmon took it after a couple of casts. Might have been a silver the way it was jumping. Got it close in, but had no net and it probably broke off on the big rocks there.
No witness and no camera, so it sounds just like another fishing story, right? Anyway, that spot is worth a try.
Old dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Hooker
Chromer

I was talking about Barview (just north of Garabaldi). The north jetty is by far the easiest to access. Watch out for the sneaker waves.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
blacktail519
Ifish Nate

Here is how I used to rig up for Jetty Salmon fishing. Rig a sinker slider with a 6-8 ounce pyramid weight just like you do with sturgeon fishing, and tie on a Barrell swivell. Now take your mooching rig and Cut it to where it is about 3 foot long, and slide on a large round cork bobber I think the big one is like 2 inches but not sure then take the 2 little orange stoppers, and stop the bobber about 24" from the hooks on your mooching rig. Now all you have to do is rig you herring with the head away from the mainline just like you would for sturgeon. Now all you have to do is cast out your line and let you lead rest on the bottom. once your lead is securely on the bottom, go ahead and let more line out until your Bobber floats to the surface with your herring. Now you have the option to fish any depth you would like easily just by giving your real a few cranks at a time pulling your bait deeper and deeper, while your line slides through your sinker slider secure on the bottom. It really does work well. I tried drawing a pic for ya the best I could, Hope it helps Good luck [/image]
blacktail519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #7
Hooker
Chromer

Very interesting setup Blacktail519! You could probably even plug cut it and let it roll with the current. Did the heavy lead snag up a lot down there in the rocks?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
yarndog2003
Tuna!

Great post Blacktail519. That is a real cool set-up.
yarndog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
blacktail519
Ifish Nate

It would ocassionaly hang up on the bottom, But not very often.
blacktail519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
Jimmy Carl Black
Chromer

Yeah that is a cool setup. It'd be cool to let it go and just hang out on the jetty. The bobber fishing never appealed to me because it always sounded like a lot of work to probably NOT catch fish but this 'plunking' rig makes alot of sense for a casual afternoon on the rocks.

Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model
~Vincent Van Gogh
Jimmy Carl Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 06:18 AM   #11
Tillamook Born
Chromer

As a Tillamook native, there are a couple of good spots that you can bobber fish on the Trask River. The first spot is the Hospital Hole on the lower river. I don't know if it is still a pay site, but there is always action going on in these holes. Another spot you can fish that is a little bit out of the way of other people is a spot on Nelson Road. Take Nelson road until you get to the church that is on the North Side of the River. At the church, the river makes a big left hand bend. You can bank fish there with a bobber and it runs about 12-15 feet depending on the tides. If you want to go up river, try the Turner Hole which is up Chance road just below the Hatchery. All of these spots should have fish in them.
TB
Old 05-29-2004, 07:05 AM   #12
NW JET'N
Chromer

Before I was NWjetn and was NW jettyn, Blacktail519's set up is exactly what I used. Then I would do this...
NW JET'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:23 AM   #13
Sore Back
Chromer

Check your tide book and fish a low tide hole on the trask. This latest rain moved a number of fish on up the river however I am quite sure more have moved in.

Good luck
Sore Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #14
drano100
Ifish Nate

great post that's just the way we use to rig when jetty fishing salmon it works great
drano100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:49 AM   #15
winterkill
Tuna!

THANK YOU for all the help hopefully i can catch one of those big shiny fishys then do this
Old 05-29-2004, 09:40 PM   #16
winterkill
Tuna!

besides the trask river? what are some other good spots especially on the wilson river? Any spots or tips for any of the other rivers would be cool to. Are people catchin fish down in tillamook