Can we help, Jennie? (old 2004 thread! We are doing fine!) - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

Default Can we help, Jennie? (old 2004 thread! We are doing fine!)

:blush:

Jennie,
Please don't burn down the house. The doghouse would go too.
Love and respect,
Pilar

http://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat....o=&fpart=1

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 10:50 AM   #2
wootersen
Tuna!

Default Re: Can we help, Jennie?

I second what John said. I just read the State of the Ifish, and I think my heart sank a little. :depressed:
wootersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
LQQKASTAR
Ifish Nate

i agree.
i love this place, i wish i was here when it had that coffee house feeling.
i usually try to make most of my posts positive, but from here on out i'll try to make all of them positive or helpfull to someone.
keep up the good work Jenn.
Jack

Team "Just keep fishing" 1st Place,Ilwaco 2010
Oregon Tuna Classic participant,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009.WTC,2009,
LQQKASTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
greenbuttskunk

yes, I really is sad when Fisherman can't treat each other with respect. Would be good if we all saw more of
"treat others the way you would want to be treated"
I know how frustrating and upsetting it must be to mods and you Jennie. I think alot of us owe our apologies for that.
I hope that with some more positive changes and feedback, and maybe some shifts in poor attitudes, Ifish can be a more
happy place, and the train wreck posts will be less frequent. Like some many have said, "It's just fishing"
We all have a real passion for it, and for all that it encompasses. I know there are some real bad apples, but I also know I've personally been associated with a TON of real
class people, by far the vast majority. Hope they will continue to outweigh the bad ones.
Thanks for the patience Jen, and for being a softie sometimes too.
Regards,
GBS
Old 05-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Jennie, if you want a "mom and pop coffeeshop feel" to your website, just do what you suggested you will do, have some backbone and toss the rubbish. Fishermen are good people, but can be an onry bunch too. I've always said that whenever you assemble a group of 50 or more people, you can't help but have a few jerks in the bunch. When you have 7000 people, you can't help but have a few hundred jerks in the bunch. I believe it's the unfortunate and unavoidable truth of running a website where folks discuss matters, especially a website with such high standards as yours. I'm not much of an internet afficianado, but I can't think of another discussion board I've visited where the rules and standards are as high and family friendly as ifish. If people won't respect them, then toss them - that's the responsibility you have to take as the Queen!

Start tossing folks and the rest of us will think twice before posting things that our better judgment tells us we shouldn't.

Take care, and sorry you're all stressed out about this. Because most of us don't have to deal with the same issues you do and don't see the behind the scenes issues, I think the overwhelming majority of us think ifish is still a really super place to be!
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #6
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Tossed salads are better than plain with no dressing. Throw the bums out that are causing problems.

Here's a novel idea, make this a pay site Jen. "X" number of dollars per month will weed out those that are not serious about fishing and most likely the trouble makers. I've been around here for awhile and seen the changes take place on the main board. Sad in some ways and exciting in others. Hit the disabling key with not an excuse. There are those that just like to stir it up, some that want free advertising and some that are just plain socially stupid. No need for them here.

You are right, you need to develop some spine with us folks when necessary. Stand firm on your decision and move on. Nuff said.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Quote:

Here's a novel idea, make this a pay site Jen. "X" number of dollars per month will weed out those that are not serious about fishing and most likely the trouble makers.
I suggested this 2 years ago and she said it had been brought up several times and she never wanted it to come to that. I understand her reasoning, but I know I'd pay. Would keep the lurkers away too.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

"Trouble makers" have money too. Just police the place. One warning and then out you go. Problem solved.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #9
FrogPond
Sturgeon

I have never met an unfriendly Ifisher on the river.

I still believe this is a special place.

Ifish has fueled my fishing addiction over the past couple of years. I think this is a good thing...I have definately learned TONS from Ifish and have enjoyed success from it.

I wonder if the popularity of fishing has increased in Oregon due to ifish.

The few who can't play nice within the community and respect others have a lesson to learn. It is a life lesson and should benefit them in society as well as ifish.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
Fish-n-Fever
Chromer

I think what would turn the tide would be a 3 strikes your out rule, for every member!
1st offense = 1 day suspension of member privileges
(any one can have a bad day)
2nd offense = 1 week suspension of member privileges
(just in case of a mistake)
3rd offense = Termination of membership

On each ruling all The Admins and Mods should be consulted.
If Jennie has trusted these people to this position they should be trusted and expected to give an honest opinion of the matter that has brought up the possible suspension and or termination of member privileges, this should eliminate the possible personality conflicts and no single person holds responsibility of the action taken. Many people have a lot of friends on ifish and terminating such a person could result in questioning and pointing fingers at some leaders so I think there should be a way for people to hear both sides of the story on the termination issues simply to avoid conflict. If they still don't agree or question the authority of ifish after hearing the facts they can resign ifish or be terminated themselves.
Some might say it is not any other members buisness what The administration does or how they decide but I for one think we as members have a right to know and believe it will help us as members in the future as well as the future of ifish.

Ron

Anything sent to me in e-mail or PM may be openly posted on a public forum.

Member #355

Fish-n-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #11
id. painter
Ifish Nate

I would like to take back anything stupid and nasty I ever posted . Sorry,,, I wont do it again...
Please Jen, I want to live.... Hi ho id. painter
Old 05-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
seabass
Tuna!

Jennie,

I love this site. I am usually just lurking and should be sharing more. (if I can think of what to share) I have learned so much from this site (thank you to all the friendly members).

I strongly agree with your vision and purpose of this site.
Boot the people that don't fit into the climate that you are creating.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:24 PM   #13
h20dog
Tuna!

Frog Pond, you took the words right out of my mouth ...then you typed them out so they made sense
Old 05-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #14
zipper
Chromer

Jen - I read your "state of the forum" address and must agree whole-heartedly. This is no place for nastiness. I have not had time to even lurk lately but when I do come and visit it is very distasteful to find bickering, arguementative, ugly posts. I ignore all of them. Over the years this has been a wonderful diversion for me - to be able to come and "Play" - "learn" - "share" and just generally enjoy. I don't have the opportunity to fish as much as I'd like - certainly not as much as many of the members of this board so hearing about others experiences is like entertainment to me... and along the way I've picked up some great tips and a few good friends. I appreciate the opportunity. Life is short, enjoy the journey. zip
Member #453 says "I'd rather have a bottle in front'a me than a frontal lobotomy"

COME fish, fish, fish...
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #15
AuntyM
Tuna!

Ohhh.....

Is it time for Jennie ask Marty about that UBB hack yet? It's wonderful! Marty doesn't have to ban anyone! He justs puts them on restriction and their posts must be approved by a moderator. I know this is a much bigger board and it might mean more work for the mods, but hey, isn't that why they make all the big bucks? :grin: (jk)
Old 05-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #16
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

We can all help, and that's all we can do. I have not had the time to read everything. My mail box is full of letters of support and worry about ifish closing.
I'm not giving up, yet! Don't worry about that.
I just want to get ifish back on track.
Most people agree. Ifish, as it has grown, has changed.
We are getting up to 20 registrations a day, at times. Back in the old days, it was one a week. We all had time to know the new person, and take time to get to know them.
Sometimes I think about whittling it back down to 1000 good folks, or being tougher on registration, or something.
The Salty Dogs is a perfect example of what ifish was, when it started. A nice, warm, coffee shop. So many people have referred to "the old ifish" as such, and I remember even back in the early days, dreaming of doing a splash page before you got to the ifish board, of an OPEN sign in a coffee shop, showing something like what the Guide Shop looks like. Wooden chairs and tables, and people in fishing gear, warming up with a hot cup of joe.
Then, you'd click on it, and there would be your friends, fresh off the river! FUN!
But, somehow, now, ifish has become a fast food mall! Yucko! I mean, we not only have coffee now, we have Italian food and Chinese food, and ice cream to go, and latte's and... you can get it all, and get out, fast!
Is there such a thing as a big, cozy coffee shop?
I don't know.
But in my family, we sit down for dinner. I'd like that to be the case, here.
If a pay site would fix it, I would do it. It won't. Like someone up there said, even mean people have money! :smile:
See, I think that this PM sums it up, quite nicely. I'm not going to give out names of things people have written to me, and I hope it is alright to share! ... but if you recognize yourself, stand up and be counted, if you like!

-----------
In my PM box:
I have been here for years. I try to only post when I have fishing info or good things to say, so I haven't posted a ton. But I do read the board just about every day for the last 3 or 4 years. You are correct, two years ago when I finally stopped lurking, it was a coffee shop, family atmosphere. People actually liked each other, and felt that they were accountable for what they said, because they knew each other. You can't be mean to a neighbor when you live in the same small town (or small fish pond ). Ifish is now a large metropolis and people care about themselves and not the guy or gal waaaaay across town . For some reason the bad seeds are the same people who feel it is their right to do as they please and (bleep) the rest of the people.
--------
and an e mail, that touched me, so much!
------------

Yes, Ifish is turning into a freeway. That's life in the city these days. Rush here, rush there, pause for a second, move on. I'll bet when you opened shop it was wonderful. Kind of like the town tackle shop. Everyone knows everyone, coffee is alway on and fresh. The smells, so familiar, so home. When someone comes in, the little bell suspended above the door cries out with it's familiar tinkle of a greeting. The worn floor boards call out a welcome with a squeaky voice ages old. You look up from your magazine and see a familiar friendly face. You pour coffee into a cup that hangs on a hook on the wall. The cup, has the logo of the local tractor company on it's side, although half of it is worn off from years of hand warming. Your customer sits and talks of his last journey to the river. You get lost in the conversation about water level, clarity, run strength, and relive, again, the tale of the epic battle between man and fish from years gone by. Your friend gets what he is looking for, shares some updated information, and then leaves. As he leaves, and the door goes shut, the little bell ring fades to silence. Comfort, fellowship, joy, love, peace, the important things in life. But alas, the shop has become very popular. The very thing that attracted so many is now criticized by late comers. Some would even curse these "foreigners". Jennie, do everything that you can to keep the small shop charm, while managing the big business popularity of Ifish. We need Ifish. We need you and what you stand for. Those who want something different can go shop in the new box store down the street. The regulars, the one's who's opinion you value, will always be there for you.
-------
Wasn't that nice? I get so touched by some of this!

I like the three strike idea, and we have had that in place, although very loosely structured.
I wish that we didn't need that, though.
It takes so much time to remember who is who, and what is what.
I have been absolutely shocked in the recent past, by mean spirited notes sent to myself, and to moderators. Just creepy stuff! I don't need that, and neither does ifish.
I put my entire heart and my soul into ifish, and that's all I have. I am surprised and appreciate the amount of volunteer work that is done by the moderators. Ifish couldn't be here, without them!
So, if it doesn't meet your standards, or if it isn't fair to your liking, then seek higher ground!
This is what it is, and the best that we can do!
Come on in... sit down. Take off your coat and enjoy a cup of coffee. Get to know who you are talking with.
Maybe, just maybe, we can put an extension on the old log cabin that was once the little cafe we all knew and loved!
But, it will take all of us! It really will!
Jen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #17
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Aunty M, we already have that feature, and more! :smile:
It's very helpful, and I thank Marty for his advice, but.. I'm talking about a general attitude.
how bout this one, from another recent e mail?
I can tell you have a good heart and this issue is weighing heavy on it. Keep up the great work and whatever you decide to do I'll support it. To steal a few lines from one of my all time favorite songs "I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do. So I leave it up to you" (followed by great guitar work)

Thanks for everything!

Jen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 05-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #18
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

Like the general store in Damascus was years ago. Main's store at the corner of Hwy 212 and Foster. Many memories of that place and the feedstore up on Wiese Rd.

The smells, the folks you knew all of them and they knew you. That's what you have here. Don't build a Wal-mart.

This is what I hoped for when this thread started.

Jennie your old friends are all still here.

We should stand together and teach the rest of the flock what they need to know.

Listening/reading is the most important part of communication. Listen/read more than you talk/type and you will most likely be understood when you do talk/type.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #19
SamBen
Steelhead

Default Re: Can we help, Jennie? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Jennie@ifish
SamBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:48 PM   #20
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Choo choo, if you would like to post on ifish, you need to have a valid e mail address.
Please write to us, to update your information.
Thanks,
Jen

Old 05-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #21
gottafish
King Salmon

Jenney I think you should charge a yearly fee and close the board to lurkers. just a idea. cheers Rich
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM   #22
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

I don't see the lurkers being the problem as they aren't able to post. Its the people that have a bad day at work....everyday.....and take it out on this board instead of at home.

I say make it a two strikes you're out policy. One warning, then poof -your gone.

What it boils down to is treat others the way you wish to be treated (what a concept...learned it in kindergarten)
Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #23
Mypursuit
Tuna!

Well, I lurked for a looong time before I signed up 2 years ago. I'm not much of a joiner and this was the only forum that I participated in until we had to form a political forum to battle MR's.

I still see many of the good things that you want to have. I know some of us are happy to contribute financially. But I think there are many good spirited outdoorsmen & women that don't have a lot of extra money and get a tremendous amount of help from these forums that they couldn't afford to get elsewhere.

I have only used the ignore button one time and it works very well. Otherwise, I hope to stay positive and friendly...unless I have to be nice to "Our Ocean", then I promise I'll take that elsewhere.

Worst case? "It's all about the debris field..."
Mypursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
steves
Coho

Perhaps when this economy turns around peoples mood and demeanor will change. I know I have been really down, (My posts don't reflect it) but I love this site. I have chatted with a lot of great people and participated in some great, even thought provoving discussions. Before I joined this site I fished once, maybe twice a year, this year I hve been out half a dozen times and I owe to this site. So thank you Jennie and all of the members on this site!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
DAB
King Salmon

WOW,

I do not know what I would do with out Ifish, It's my hot cup of coffee and news paper every evening, Some times I hit it twice in the evening.

We all should use the preview button and then proof read our post with the question in our mind is what I am about to submit up to par for Ifish, and if not edit our post / reply to conform to the AUP.

"A fool that keeps his fingers off the keyboard will never be found out, but when his fingers start playing with the keyboard he is soon found out for all to see."

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #26
TundraIII
Ifish Nate

I have NEVER met an unfriendly Ifisher....and the few times I have met an Ifisher, I have benefited from the experience...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #27
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

That's true! I haven't met an unfriendly fisher, either.

Guys, just a note-- this thread started in 2004, and it's not about ifish closing or anything like that.

It's just comments made because I was frustrated with a few things in 2004. Hmm... shortly after, I was in the hospital. Believe me, I'm not getting frustrated EVER again!

Jen

Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #28
genghis
Steelhead

Default Re: Can we help, Jennie? (old 2004 thread! We are doing fine!)

Well I'm a n00b and I think this board is absolutely fantastic. I've had to learn to keep my comments non-controversial as the owners are very sensitive but hey, its their board.

I'd definitely pay to play.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
Twitch
Sturgeon

I melt a lot of lead.

Ifish is like lead.

When it gets hot, the cruddy stuff floats to the top and masks the good stuff underneath. Skim the crud off and throw it away. Leave the shiny pure stuff...

Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #30
greeneD76
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchs_Tackle View Post
I melt a lot of lead.

Ifish is like lead.

When it gets hot, the cruddy stuff floats to the top and masks the good stuff underneath. Skim the crud off and throw it away. Leave the shiny pure stuff...

Quote of the year there Twitch

Dave
greeneD76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #31
anglingaddict
Sturgeon

Lightbulb Re: Can we help, Jennie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-n-Fever View Post
I think what would turn the tide would be a 3 strikes your out rule, for every member!
1st offense = 1 day suspension of member privileges
(any one can have a bad day)
2nd offense = 1 week suspension of member privileges
(just in case of a mistake)
3rd offense = Termination of membership

On each ruling all The Admins and Mods should be consulted.
If Jennie has trusted these people to this position they should be trusted and expected to give an honest opinion of the matter that has brought up the possible suspension and or termination of member privileges, this should eliminate the possible personality conflicts and no single person holds responsibility of the action taken. Many people have a lot of friends on ifish and terminating such a person could result in questioning and pointing fingers at some leaders so I think there should be a way for people to hear both sides of the story on the termination issues simply to avoid conflict. If they still don't agree or question the authority of ifish after hearing the facts they can resign ifish or be terminated themselves.
Some might say it is not any other members buisness what The administration does or how they decide but I for one think we as members have a right to know and believe it will help us as members in the future as well as the future of ifish.

Ron

This was an awesome suggestion in 2004 and it still shines bright now!!!

Now all the administration has to do is get the guts to enact/enforce it! Another way of saying it would be "tough love"!

A.A.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #32
billnoy06
Cutthroat

Behind you all the way Jenny

Remember... " Regular,careful pruning produces a healthy, and fruitfull Tree "

Bill
billnoy06 is offline   Reply With Quote