Columbia River Endorsement - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Adofish
Chromer

Default Columbia River Endorsement

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/...ndorsement.asp

When and how did this happen? Does this money go directly to Gill netters?

Wild salmon show us how to give of ourselves for the sake of things greater than ourselves. -David James Duncan
Adofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
dirtman
Steelhead

Default Re: Columbia River Endorsement

Looking on the bright side, this new endorsement fee will stop in 2021.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
RDH
Steelhead

I wonder if you don't get it & get cought/pay the fine. Who gets the the fine money?
RDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adofish View Post
www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/columbia_river_basin_endorsement.asp

If you read the link you posted it will answer your questions............

For the record, I think this endorsement is a crock of *#%@..................
Artwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
bscappell
Tuna!

Quote:

Been part of the agreement between the governor and netters since the beginning. They just didn't advertise it since it is so popular!

We have this in Washington except our money goes into a fund to provide more recreational opportunities. Most folks I talk to are happy with the fee up here. But like I said a bit different when it is funding our own activities.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
bscappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
jfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
Looking on the bright side, this new endorsement fee will stop in 2021.
Also on a brighter note........since the dollar will totally collapse in 2016, which will result in 2 years of social unrest and total anarchy where the government will seas to function.

We wont have to pay the fee for 2016 or 2017 either.

Last edited by jfisher; 11-06-2013 at 12:03 PM.
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
RDH
Steelhead

I love bass fishing because I happen to catch a lot of salmon.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
NF122
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh View Post
i love bass fishing because i happen to catch a lot of salmon.
bummer when you have to release that 30lb springer.
NF122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
RDH
Steelhead

Catching them is all the fun anyway! Not huge fan of of eating salmon becides the rest of my family catches so many they cant give them away!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
dirtman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
Also on a brighter note........since the dollar will totally collapse in 2016, which will result in 2 years of social unrest and total anarchy where the government will seas to function.

We wont have to pay the fee for 2016 or 2017 either.
It is conceivable that in 2018 the new cyborg controlled government will extend the endorsement past 2021?
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Steelhead Lunatic
Chromer

I may be wrong but I believe the money from the oregon CR endorsement is to be used to designate which off channels will be used to safely net hatchery salmon in without intercepting endangered wild stocks.
Steelhead Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Danno
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
It is conceivable that in 2018 the new cyborg controlled government will extend the endorsement past 2021?
Why would they? There won't be any humans left!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:

If you are indeed interested in the answers I can tell you what I know.

The fee was made law by the passage of Senate bill 830 passed in the Oregon legislature and signed into law this year.

The endorsement fee was part of the new lower Columbia River Reforms.

The fee paid by sport fishers makes up about 1/3 of the total funding. The other 2/3 are from general fund and lottery dollars.

The benefits to sport fisheries include:

Making the management priority of the lower columbia river mainstem selective recreational harvest

Big shift in allocation away from commercial fishing to sport fishing in the mainstem Columbia

Elimination of gillnets in the mainstem Columbia.

The fees do have a sunset.

The fees will be used to fund the transition. Including infrastructure such as net pens and studying and implementing enhanced off channel fishing areas designated for commercial harvest. And yes some will be used to fund transition of commercial harvest gear to implement selective commercial fishing gear capable of live sorting fish for the commercial market. There will also be some increased hatchery production available to both sport and commercial fishers.

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 11-06-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
Wreckless
King Salmon

Thank you.....Again!!!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
rod'n'reel
Steelhead

Is there any reason they just can't do a lump sum that they just raise every year so we don't have to keep such a close eye on what fees to get and not get. Almost like they break the cost out enough, then catch us when we miss one? O, and if I every take a pay cut, I'll never be able to afford to fish or hunt again!
rod'n'reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
LowerRiver
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
Thank you.....Again!!!
Yes.....Thank you CCA. Again
LowerRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
Adofish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post

The fee was made law by the passage of Senate bill 830 passed in the Oregon legislature and signed into law this year.

The fee paid by sport fishers makes up about 1/3 of the total funding. The other 2/3 are from general fund and lottery dollars.

Making the management priority of the lower columbia river mainstem selective recreational harvest

Big shift in allocation away from commercial fishing to sport fishing in the mainstem Columbia

The fees will be used to fund the transition. Including infrastructure such as net pens and studying and implementing enhanced off channel fishing areas designated for commercial harvest. And yes some will be used to fund transition of commercial harvest gear to implement selective commercial fishing gear capable of live sorting fish for the commercial market. There will also be some increased hatchery production available to both sport and commercial fishers.
Thanks for the response. I guess I just don't understand why sport fisherman need to support the commercial industry.

Wild salmon show us how to give of ourselves for the sake of things greater than ourselves. -David James Duncan
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
Adofish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwo View Post
If you read the link you posted it will answer your questions............

For the record, I think this endorsement is a crock of *#%@..................
Thanks for your insightful post. The posted material did not answer my questions. I do agree with you that it is a "crock"

Old 11-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
cpeaslee

So it comes to less than $1 per month. I don't see the problem with this if it is used to manage the resources effectively.

Sent from my MB865 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
cpeaslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
Thanks for your insightful post. The posted material did not answer my questions. I do agree with you that it is a "crock"
OK, so changing management to prioritize recreational angling and huge increases in fish available to sport fishers you think is a crock...got it.

What question did you have that was not answered?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
OK, so changing management to prioritize recreational angling and huge increases in fish available to sport fishers you think is a crock...got it.

he means we should NOT have to help support the change of gear

why support the netters? we shouldnt have to do that especially since we lost barbs, give us our barbs back then maybe.....
beachboi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
Adofish
Chromer

Quote:

What was not answered was how is the funding allocated and who is paying into this. I already pay for my fishing license and a harvest tag. i don't think I should have to pay for equipment changes for any industry.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
Gun Rod Bow

I understand the sentiment of wanting what we want, not being excited about paying more, and not liking some of the seemingly punitive aspects. Specifically the barbless rule.

I'm not passing opinion or judgement on those things. During the process things like barbless and closed areas were pushed back on. But ended up being part of a bigger package that benefits sport fisheries and the fish.

The meetings were public. Over months and months. In both OR and WA. Many meetings in and around Portland. Hundreds of involved anglers shed up and testified. All the comments are public record. It wasn't a secret meeting by any stretch.

What I am pointing out is that there was a huge change in the management priority of the Columbia River. 100 years ago and up until last year the focus was to get fish into a can and to market in the cheapest and most cost effective manner.

Folks around here have been fighting to not only end the use of gillnets in the Columbia River but also to show that selective recreational angling is better for the fish, but a better utilization of the resource to the state and citizens.

2/3 of the transition fee was paid for from general fund and lottery dollars. Sport fishers and the fish will be the beneficiaries.

You can look at the fee as "going to the gillnetters".

Or for the price of a boat launch and a tray of herring sport fishers are now being recognized as the best stewards of the Columbia River fisheries.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
What was not answered was how is the funding allocated and who is paying into this. I already pay for my fishing license and a harvest tag. i don't think I should have to pay for equipment changes for any industry.
The anglers who will pay the new fee in OR are those that fish the Columbia River and its tributaries (there are some boundaries, not all the tribs, ie. the Clack above Hwy 99 and the Willy above the falls)

EDIT:

The part I highlighted in blue above was a mistake on my part. I mixed 2 conversations I had had with an ODFW staffer recently.

The map can be seen here: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/columbia_river_basin_endorsement.asp

The thought process is those anglers would be receiving direct benefit of higher allocation and no gillnets.

And again, 2/3 is paid by public funds, not angler generated. ODFW will have some administrative authority over what is approved and not approved expenditures and it will be watched.

Sport dollars have been paying for commercial fishing benefit since the beginning of license sales. Frankly there is nothing new about that. Just doesn't get noticed very often.

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 11-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Diehard
Chromer

Quote:
i don't think I should have to pay for equipment changes for any industry.

You're not. Seems pretty clear to me:

"Required for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon fishing on all rivers and tributaries in the Columbia River Basin.
Cost is $9.75 for an annual endorsement or $1 per day for a daily licenses.
The endorsement helps fund the transition of non-tribal commercial gill nets out of the mainstem Columbia River into enhanced off-channel areas, freeing up additional salmon and steelhead for sport fishing.
No angler dollars are planned for commercial buyouts, purchase of alternative gear, or other reimbursements to commercial fishermen"

Not sure what you're not seeing here....

Like G-R-B said: for the price of a boat launch and a tray of herring....seems reasonable to me given it helps get the commercials off the main stream.

My only question is this: I already pay the fee in Washington and I buy an annual non-resident Oregon license. Do I have to pay both states fee?
I think if you pay one state's fee, the other will recognize if, but I'm not sure..

"I am haunted by waters."

Last edited by Diehard; 11-07-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
RDH
Steelhead

Quote:

Where the fees go have a sunset! I'll beleive it when I see it that the fees themself have a sunset.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
RDH
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
You're not. Seems pretty clear to me:

"Required for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon fishing on all rivers and tributaries in the Columbia River Basin.
Cost is $9.75 for an annual endorsement or $1 per day for a daily licenses.
The endorsement helps fund the transition of non-tribal commercial gill nets out of the mainstem Columbia River into enhanced off-channel areas, freeing up additional salmon and steelhead for sport fishing.
No angler dollars are planned for commercial buyouts, purchase of alternative gear, or other reimbursements to commercial fishermen"

Not sure what you're not seeing here....

Like G-R-B said: for the price of a boat launch and a tray of herring....seems reasonable to me given it helps get the commercials off the main stream.

My only question is this: I already pay the fee in Washington and I buy an annual non-resident Oregon license. Do I have to pay both states fee?
I think if you pay one state's fee, the other will recognize if, but I'm not sure..

So does the washington fee cover Willamette, clackamas rivers? I just fish those rivers & get stuck paying for the main river improvments. My opinion it doesn't help those rivers at all on increasing the quotas because there are none.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
Moniker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH View Post
So does the washington fee cover Willamette, clackamas rivers? I just fish those rivers & get stuck paying for the main river improvments. My opinion it doesn't help those rivers at all on increasing the quotas because there are none.
I wonder if those fish swim or fly to their natal streams..... I wonder which route they take in doing so....... Things that make you go hmmmmmm

Edit: WA fee had nothing to do w/the Oregon fee.

Last edited by Moniker; 11-07-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: ....
Moniker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

If you have a problem with this welfare fee, buy one less hatchery tag.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
Don Gbaldi
Chromer

Said it before and will keep saying it: Pioneer and Disabled Vet license holders don't need the CR tag.

PS - tag is need but it is free. Also under 14 Youth licenses get their CR free.

Last edited by Don Gbaldi; 11-07-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Clarification....
Don Gbaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #31
HeadofSteel

Quote:
The anglers who will pay the new fee in OR are those that fish the Columbia River and its tributaries (there are some boundaries, not all the tribs, ie. the Clack above Hwy 99 and the Willy above the falls).
All you posts have been very insightful, but this confuses me. What boundaries? It's it the whole basin except the Snake Idaho border? Where are you seeing not the Clack and Willie?
HeadofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #32
Gun Rod Bow

I'm recalling a conversation and it's possible I crossed a wire. I'll double check and correct that if I have it wrong.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:

Elimination of gillnets in the mainstem Columbia. ..
AND...

No more targeted gillnet fishery on sturgeon.

An end to the winter wild steelhead bycatch mortality in gillnets, and having to fight their lobby's efforts to double or triple the allowable mortality.

No more vacation days used and gasoline burned to go to commission hearings and defend sportfishing against the gillnetters call for a significant reduction in the sportfishing catch.

PLUS...

Longer and likely more predictable sportfishing seasons.

I might be forgetting a couple of things but $9 is a pretty cheap price to get all that.
IFisher 234

"We want excellence from wildlife managers, but don't want to help. We are very good at one thing - complaining."
Teeb, 11.19.13
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
Adofish
Chromer

For the record, I believe this will be good for the fish and sport fishermen. I just don't like the fee. If the 2/3 of the money comes from "gerenal funds" and the 1/3 from this fee. I feel I am paying twice, once with my tax dollars and again with the fee, to correct an issue for others to make money on.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #35
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
AND...

No more targeted gillnet fishery on sturgeon.

An end to the winter wild steelhead bycatch mortality in gillnets, and having to fight their lobby's efforts to double or triple the allowable mortality.

No more vacation days used and gasoline burned to go to commission hearings and defend sportfishing against the gillnetters call for a significant reduction in the sportfishing catch.

PLUS...

Longer and likely more predictable sportfishing seasons.

I might be forgetting a couple of things but $9 is a pretty cheap price to get all that.

yes but sturgeon are still gonna end up in there and possibly tangle up resulting in mortality not good .. NO NETS MEANS NO NETS!! not seins

has any one read up in history for the 1800s and early 19's when they had these things? doesnt any one remember that these things were banned and how much damage they did to salmon runs? I dont think so.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
Trey Carskadon
Steelhead

For decades, 4 at least, we've tried to move the needle on nets in the Columbia. Thanks to the help of many we succeeded. After 2009 and again in 2011 I didn't think I'd ever see any change in my lifetime...the deck was stacked solidly against us.

What's missed is what we've accomplished...together. Did we get all we wanted? No. I never had any illusion that we would...but we definitely rolled the rock and the work's not over.

Fact is a number of organizations came together as a common voice and worked hard to achieve change. GRB and GaryK have provided welcome insight...they were both right there in the trenches working hard to make this happen.

I watched along with others as the room was filled with commercial fishermen making their case. Their testimony went on for hours and it was compelling. Sportsanglers were represented by far fewer and at the end just a handful who were easily outnumbered by 10 to 1.

In my view we were lucky to get what we did and all who participated --- CCA, Steelheaders and NSIA should all be congratulated.

I'm not happy about the fee but I'll happily pay it because it represents to me a new beginning and something to build on. Now we have a chance to make our case, show what we can do as a community in delivering much-needed economics to lower-river communities and a higher level of conservation to benefit wild fish.

I can tell you for sure that when I left that commission meeting after decades around this issue I'd hoped to raise a glass and celebrate but we didn't because we knew the work was just starting. I'll say it now and hope to say it again and again...thank you Bruce, Gary (a couple Garys), Bob, Norm, Russell, Liz, Randy, Dan, Dave, George, Grant and the many, many others that were a part of the solution. Your selfless dedication to the cause, the lumps you've taken before, during and after and your continued work on this issue are greatly appreciated.
Trey Carskadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
Salmon Mike
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboi26 View Post
yes but sturgeon are still gonna end up in there and possibly tangle up resulting in mortality not good .. NO NETS MEANS NO NETS!! not seins

has any one read up in history for the 1800s and early 19's when they had these things? doesnt any one remember that these things were banned and how much damage they did to salmon runs? I dont think so.
This aint the 1800-1900's. At least with a sein, they can live sort. Something that is impossible for a gill net.(gills stuck in net, rolled up on a spool, stuck in recovery box,released, very very bad). Wild fish, and non- targeted fish will be released without being touched by a human. Once again, impossible for a gill net. One can see the difference. You dont have to read about the past to see what is front of your face now. Allowing the commercial and sport Sturgeon harvest this year alone is much worse than Sturgeon "possibly" getting tangled in a sein. IMO. It was mans fishing and harvesting practices and habitat destruction that damaged the Salmon runs. Not the tool used. I understand your point of view- "no nets means no nets". That has a great ring to it, and i wish it would come true. We are moving closer! I have no problem at all with paying the endorsement fee. I would pay much much more for "no nets at all"
Salmon Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #38
gorgebankmaggot
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Mike View Post
This aint the 1800-1900's. At least with a sein, they can live sort. Something that is impossible for a gill net.(gills stuck in net, rolled up on a spool, stuck in recovery box,released, very very bad). Wild fish, and non- targeted fish will be released without being touched by a human. Once again, impossible for a gill net. One can see the difference. You dont have to read about the past to see what is front of your face now. Allowing the commercial and sport Sturgeon harvest this year alone is much worse than Sturgeon "possibly" getting tangled in a sein. IMO. It was mans fishing and harvesting practices and habitat destruction that damaged the Salmon runs. Not the tool used. I understand your point of view- "no nets means no nets". That has a great ring to it, and i wish it would come true. We are moving closer! I have no problem at all with paying the endorsement fee. I would pay much much more for "no nets at all"
Well said.
gorgebankmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #39
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Mike View Post
you dont get it this is what partly caused the salmon colapse back then and it will happen again
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #40
crowdcor225
Steelhead

As stated by others, if they use the funds as intended, then I would say it's a fair trade for a larger allocation for the sportsman as well as getting gillnets off the mainstem Columbia.
crowdcor225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #41
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
you dont get it this is what partly caused the salmon colapse back then and it will happen again
also your willing to pay for us loosing barbs and fishing area? that we will never get back?? how sure are ya that we will even get what we are asking?

I am not sure at all , all im seeing now is what we are loosing
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #42
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
also your willing to pay for us loosing barbs and fishing area? that we will never get back?? how sure are ya that we will even get what we are asking?

sein nets are sein nets back then and as they are now see whats happening in Alaska with them? look how they are wipeing out the runs there.....

dont tell me that the sein nets are going to do less harm, they will take more fish
Old 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
Salmon Mike
Tuna!

I could care less about barbed hooks for Salmon or Steel Head. Barbless is better for the fish. And for the seins,- once their quota is met, off the river they go. They will not be able to kill all the fish you believe they will.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #44
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

Well I am kind of torn on this one if I can pay $10 a year and never have to see a gill net in mainstream columbia then bring it on. However it is getting expensive and complicated to hunt and fish in this state. we could aways get to vote on it to do away with it
Delta Waterfowl Sponser member #38
Deer Island OR.
Capin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #45
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

One would think that with all the additional allocation, there should be more than 20 blocks on next year's salmon tag. Wishful thinking, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #46
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Ok, I see now the cat is out of the bag. I spent some time around a fire w/ 4 fish bio's earlier this fall.
I wasn't supposed to be paying attention as it was an internal discussion but I was.
At first I mentally jumped on the defensive bandwagon, but as I quietly listened I began to understand what it really ment....... victory of sorts.
I was asked to keep it to myself until the press release.

I'm with Ron & Gary, this is a definate step in the right direction.
If the funds produce more fish and remove net from the main river & there are more fish for us sporty's......I'm all for it.
What are we talking about... the price of burger? Good grief, I'll pay it!
Hunt'nFish
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #47
Woodpecker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Bucket View Post
One would think that with all the additional allocation, there should be more than 20 blocks on next year's salmon tag. Wishful thinking, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you do with more than 20?

How often do you eat salmon?

What about those that don't fish?
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #48
bscappell
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
What would you do with more than 20?

How often do you eat salmon?

What about those that don't fish?
Sorry but what business is it of anyone's as long as he legal retains them? The girl and I fill at least a catch card a year and I give it to my family and friends. I enjoy my passion, remove a lot of hatchery fish and feed my family and provide great treats to friends.

I pay for an extra catch card when needed. State receives more money. Sounds like a winning situation. There are daily bags limits and that is good enough. Don't punish those that are efficient or just pain addicted to the throb of the rod.....

:-P

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
bscappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #49
Robert
Chromer

Why the bs subsidy?

How's the new nets are responsibility to help pay for?
Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #50
DAB
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Gbaldi View Post
Said it before and will keep saying it: Pioneer and Disabled Vet license holders don't need the CR tag.

PS - tag is need but it is free. Also under 14 Youth licenses get their CR free.
Looks like I wont have to pay the extra $9.75 + $1.00 There is some benefit to being old and living in Oregon for 69 years.

BUT I am willing to pay it if I have to and will not complain about it.

What gets me is the fishermen that have boats that cost OVER $20,000 and up and a $30,000 truck to pull it with. Complaining about a $9.75 increase in the cost of going Salmon, Steelhead, Sturgeon fishing. I don't get it.

I am willing to pay it and I can only afford a used boat that cost less than $4,000 and a small truck to pull it.
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #51
Davy
Ifish Nate

that's it, all the big rods are going out to the dust collecting area with my corded drills and braces
Old 11-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #52
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:

I think you mean "losing" and what we are losing is the gill nets non-selective harvest method. Yes, it will take a little time and yes, it will cost a little money.
Quote:
sein nets are sein nets back then and as they are now see whats happening in Alaska with them? look how they are wipeing out the runs there.....

dont tell me that the sein nets are going to do less harm, they will take more fish
Oky, this is simply oral diarrhea. The method that will be legal for use in the Columbia will not include hauling the nets on deck for sorting. My recommendation for anyone caught hauling unsorted fish on deck would be immediate revocation of the commercial permit. These guys have too much skin in the game to risk the endeavor on a stupid violation.

There will be lots of eyes watching.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #53
honeybadger
Steelhead

Quote:

is sport hatchery production going to increaseor be reallocated to net guy
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #54
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
is sport hatchery production going to increaseor be reallocated to net guy

sounds like we loose smolts and it gets reallocated , i dont understand how they figure the math that we will have more fish coming back if they take out and away from our smolts
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #55
beachboi26
Chromer

[QUOTE=crabbait;5631137]I think you mean "losing" and what we are losing is the gill nets non-selective harvest method. Yes, it will take a little time and yes, it will cost a little money.

we lost barbs, lost fishing area and now are going to be loosing smolts to the netters, if thats not loosing, what is? how is it a win when they take smolts away from us and give to the netters? show me the math and prove to me that its not loosing
Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #56
Salmon Mike
Tuna!

[quote=beachboi26;5631489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
I think you mean "losing" and what we are losing is the gill nets non-selective harvest method. Yes, it will take a little time and yes, it will cost a little money.

we lost barbs, lost fishing area and now are going to be loosing smolts to the netters, if thats not loosing, what is? how is it a win when they take smolts away from us and give to the netters? show me the math and prove to me that its not loosing
Hate to say it, but if you have not been paying attention, we have lost many smolt already from the Sandy, Clack, And Willy. These fish are set up for the netters, in the safe areas. That's how they will be kept off the main stem. I am not happy about losing smolt, but i am happy nets are moving off the main stem. I personally have not lost any fishing areas, but i understand your point of view. Barbs? so what. I had fun with my dremmel this year! $10.00?????? Petty!!! I myself will be patient, and wait to see how every thing turns out in the long run. Still plenty of fish to be caught in those systems.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #57
Farfish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post

Oky, this is simply oral diarrhea. The method that will be legal for use in the Columbia will not include hauling the nets on deck for sorting. My recommendation for anyone caught hauling unsorted fish on deck would be immediate revocation of the commercial permit. These guys have too much skin in the game to risk the endeavor on a stupid violation.

There will be lots of eyes watching.
According to lots of folks on this site, the current bunch of gillnetters routinely violate all kinds of rules like no recovery boxes and extended soak times. And apparently they just get a slap on the wrist if they get caught. When these gillnetters become purse seiners, why would their attitudes about rules be any different.
Farfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #58
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfish View Post
According to lots of folks on this site, the current bunch of gillnetters routinely violate all kinds of rules like no recovery boxes and extended soak times. And apparently they just get a slap on the wrist if they get caught. When these gillnetters become purse seiners, why would their attitudes about rules be any different.

This IS a worry of mine. I could tell some stories........As long as it's done in the daylight and with observers I'm OK with it....Who am I kidding??? THERE SHOULD BE NO NETS ON THE BIG RIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #59
beachboi26
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfish View Post

exactly, i have spent numerous nights watching gillnetters out of my own boat at nightand cant tell you how many sturgeon are wasted and salmon/steelhead are wasted,yet if they get caught bc i know darn well there is NO observer onboard, all they get is a slap. When we do something wrong.... OH boy we get it bad far worse than any gillnetter gets
Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #60
jr69cam
Tuna!

I wonder if the fee could be used to change out barbless hooks on all my gear!