Winchester 30-30 Lever-action Anniversary Edition rifle - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
steamboat
Chromer

Default Winchester 30-30 Lever-action Anniversary Edition rifle

Hi! I just located a Winchester 30-30 Lever Action Rifle, Model 94 100 year Anniversary Edition, never-fired still-in-the-box gift for my wife for her birthday coming up, soon.
Here's a few pics of it. I was wondering and hoping perhaps that I might acquire some useful advice and such from many of the knowledgeable persons here on ifish regarding such matters.
How much I should pay for it would be very useful information. Many thanks for your input!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131103_163700.jpg (48.2 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg 20131103_164004.jpg (56.5 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg 20131103_163849.jpg (59.4 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg 20131103_164047.jpg (52.9 KB, 604 views)

steamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
pharmseller
King Salmon

Default Re: Winchester 30-30 Lever-action Anniversary Edition rifle

$300, tops.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
steamboat
Chromer

Thanks. I appreciate the time you took to post.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
PGJPJ
Ifish Nate

I never understand the pricing on M94's. Some of the on-line places have special addition ones up around $1500, or you can get new ones at Walmart for $360.

I have a ranger model. Nothing is as handy, but I'd caution that even though the 30-30 is a mild cartridge, those little M94's had a good kick. Their just so light.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
boomstick
Steelhead

I'm with pharmseller, $300 or right there in that range..

Although it's almost 20 years old and NIB, it is a cross-bolt safety and is not considered a "desirable" rifle by collectors. So if who ever is selling it is asking a premium, walk away.
boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
steamboat
Chromer

If I remember correctly, the Model 94 was the first American-made small-bore hunting rifle that was the first to use smokeless powder. It quickly became popular due to it's low-recoil.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
I'm with pharmseller, $300 or right there in that range..

Although it's almost 20 years old and NIB, it is a cross-bolt safety and is not considered a "desirable" rifle by collectors. So if who ever is selling it is asking a premium, walk away.
Good advice! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat View Post
If I remember correctly, the Model 94 was the first American-made small-bore hunting rifle that was the first to use smokeless powder. It quickly became popular due to it's low-recoil.

Maybe compared to "buffalo guns" (.45/70 and such) but the recoil using modern powders is a little snappy.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGJPJ View Post
I never understand the pricing on M94's. Some of the on-line places have special addition ones up around $1500, or you can get new ones at Walmart for $360.

I have a ranger model. Nothing is as handy, but I'd caution that even though the 30-30 is a mild cartridge, those little M94's had a good kick. Their just so light.

Good luck!
The Hornady Company developed the innovative LEVERevolution ammunition, which uses a spritzer bullet with a soft elastomer tip to give better aerodynamic performance than flatter bullets, while eliminating the risk of a shock driving the pointed metal tip of a bullet in a lever-action rifle's tube magazine into the primer of the cartridge in front, causing a catastrophic explosion.
That ammo is a little hard to find. I think it has a bit more kick that standard .30-30 rounds. Anybody have an opinion on this?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

Anniversary model's of all gun's are made to make money. The price is high and sometime's the handwork can be extensive. You want it to keep it's value, don't shoot it much and certainly don't risk scar's by hunting with it. The date on the side of the receiver is stamped, big deal! The wood looks like some kind of hard wood, big deal. I'm not sure about this but that look's like an angle eject model, the original one's were not angle eject.

I would not pay more the the new price of a new mod 94 for that's about all that's there. Calling it an Anniversary Edition was probably just to promote sales.

For the right price it might make your wife a nice hunting rifle. I haven't shot one in years but as I recall, I could live without the recoil it generates. Probably more stock design than anything else.

For myself, I would not pay $300 for it. For a bit more I'd look for one of those kit's Bi Mart sells for a bit more than that in a smaller cal. 243, 360 or 7mm-08.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Anniversary model's of all gun's are made to make money. The price is high and sometime's the handwork can be extensive. You want it to keep it's value, don't shoot it much and certainly don't risk scar's by hunting with it. The date on the side of the receiver is stamped, big deal! The wood looks like some kind of hard wood, big deal. I'm not sure about this but that look's like an angle eject model, the original one's were not angle eject.

I would not pay more the the new price of a new mod 94 for that's about all that's there. Calling it an Anniversary Edition was probably just to promote sales.

For the right price it might make your wife a nice hunting rifle. I haven't shot one in years but as I recall, I could live without the recoil it generates. Probably more stock design than anything else.

For myself, I would not pay $300 for it. For a bit more I'd look for one of those kit's Bi Mart sells for a bit more than that in a smaller cal. 243, 360 or 7mm-08.
Thanks Don. That's interesting about the kits. My wife loves the Winchestor 30-30 lever action as her all-around go-to hunting rifle. I'm going to get it for her B-day. She insists that a Model 94 is all she needs. She a darn good shot, too. The one I found with the pics I posted I can acquire for $250.00. I love to get her one made before 1964, but they are hard to find.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
The Hornady Company developed the innovative LEVERevolution ammunition, which uses a spritzer bullet with a soft elastomer tip to give better aerodynamic performance than flatter bullets, while eliminating the risk of a shock driving the pointed metal tip of a bullet in a lever-action rifle's tube magazine into the primer of the cartridge in front, causing a catastrophic explosion.
That ammo is a little hard to find. I think it has a bit more kick that standard .30-30 rounds. Anybody have an opinion on this?
If you plan to shoot the rifle with the original iron sights or even a peep, the advantage of a higher ballistic coefficient bullet will be meaningless at iron sight distances.

Find out if the rifle prefers the 150 or the 170 grain bullet and kill everything you shoot at.

I see the LE rounds as a marketing ploy with little field advantage. Certainly not worth the cost.

P

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
If you plan to shoot the rifle with the original iron sights or even a peep, the advantage of a higher ballistic coefficient bullet will be meaningless at iron sight distances.

Find out if the rifle prefers the 150 or the 170 grain bullet and kill everything you shoot at.

I see the LE rounds as a marketing ploy with little field advantage. Certainly not worth the cost.

P
I'm going to pick up a box of each and let her decide if she wants the 150 or 170 grain. I already got some .5 pound Tannerites for her to shoot at, plus some small but really hard-skinned sweetmeat squash. I don't know how the Hornady LE rounds behave. The bullit in the LE rounds is supposed to get squashed down as it goes down the barrel but resume it's pointed shape after it exits the barrel. Clever idea if it works as advertised.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
The bullit in the LE rounds is supposed to get squashed down as it goes down the barrel but resume it's pointed shape after it exits the barrel. Clever idea if it works as advertised.

Are you talking about the gummy tip or the copper? I don't see how the metal could deform and then spring back to it's original shape.

P

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Old Goat
Tuna!

Most people I know consider a Marlin to be a far superior rifle to the Winchester. Parts may be an issue with Winchester? That's what my gunsmith claims. He really doesn't care for any if the late model Winnie's.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Are you talking about the gummy tip or the copper? I don't see how the metal could deform and then spring back to it's original shape.

P
Here is an excerpt about the LE Hornady ammo, according to Wikipedia:

A notable exception to the "no pointed bullets" guideline for bullet selection in rifles with tubular magazines are the new flexible "memory elastomer"-tipped LEVERevolution cartridges as produced by Hornady. The soft tips of these bullets easily deform under compression, preventing detonations while under recoil in the magazine, yet also return to their original pointed shape when that pressure is removed, thus allowing for a more efficient bullet shape than previously available to load safely in such rifles. The more aerodynamic shape results in a flatter bullet trajectory and greater retained velocity downrange, significantly increasing the effective range of rifles chambered for this cartridge.

Pharmseller, I haven't actually seen one close-up to answer your question.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Most people I know consider a Marlin to be a far superior rifle to the Winchester. Parts may be an issue with Winchester? That's what my gunsmith claims. He really doesn't care for any if the late model Winnie's.
Yeah, Winchesters made up to mid-1964 were of higher quality, and those afterwards had manufacturing changes made to them to try and lower the cost of making them. That was the negative turning point for Winchester.

Last edited by steamboat; 11-06-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Yeah, Winchesters made up to 1964 were of higher quality, and those afterwards had manufacturing changes made to them to try and lower the cost of making them. That was the negative turning point for Winchester.
From a function standpoint, however, the changes had little impact. My early '70s model 94 shot better than I did.

P

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
Bonecrusher 0.338
Tuna!

Quote:
From a function standpoint, however, the changes had little impact. My early '70s model 94 shot better than I did.

P
Exactly, nothing wrong with late model Winchesters.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher 0.338 View Post
Exactly, nothing wrong with late model Winchesters.
I agree. They perform quite well. However, we know how picky some of us can be when it comes to hunting or fishing equipment! Here's another excerpt from Wikipedia:

Upon Olin's retirement, Olin Corporation's new chief executives sought to maximize profitability in its operations, giving corporate preference to its flourishing chemical business and cutting costs on its guns, which were unprofitable and labor-intensive to produce. To that end, Winchester ceased machining both the receiver and many small parts of the Model 94 out of solid steel as of 1964. The new receiver was machined out of sintered steel, the cartridge lifter was made of stamped sheet metal, and hollow roll pins were used in the action instead of solid steel pins. While the rifle's function, safety or accuracy was not adversely affected, the changes-in particular the sintered receiver, which, though just as strong as its solid-steel predecessor, did not respond well to a traditional blued finish and were conspicuous and came as Winchester made even more fundamental changes to its flagship Model 70 rifle. Taken together, the changes were seen as a retreat from quality production across the company's whole range, seriously damaging Winchester's reputation for making quality firearms in the process. In response, many users would only use rifles made before 1964 (pre '64), and Winchester firearms made before 1964 command a markedly higher resale value on the gun market to this day.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
pharmseller
King Salmon

Function, safety, accuracy.

Who gives a hoot about the rest of it?

But hey, that's why we work, right? So we can spend our money on whatever we want.

P

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
toad67
Chromer

I can't recall whether or not the Rangers are top or angle eject? If you want to scope it angle eject would be a better choice. As mentioned above the top would be $300 and IMO a 336 is a better choice, especially a nice JM stamped one
toad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad67 View Post
I can't recall whether or not the Rangers are top or angle eject? If you want to scope it angle eject would be a better choice. As mentioned above the top would be $300 and IMO a 336 is a better choice, especially a nice JM stamped one
An angle eject was mandatory if you wanted a decent scope on it, though the gun is very popular back east where the undercover was so intense that most game was shot at distances not really requiring a scope. Kind of like our Coast Range here in Oregon. The .30-30 I just bought my wife is the angle eject.

Last edited by steamboat; 11-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
Tuna Tuck
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post

I understand the .243 and if you add a .270 as smaller caliber, but 360 (I assume you mean 30.06) and 7mm are substantially larger caliber as far as recoil is concerned. Could you explain?
Tuna Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
12pulls
King Salmon

Ranger series were the low end of the Winchester models. In the early 80's they were sold in Cornelius for $100. Stamped parts but they weren't bad rifles, just cheap wood and not comparable to low end Marlin's.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
fishkicker
Chromer

I am a shotgun guy--used to load my own--back in the lead days.

When I see a post about a Rifle, ammo--I am amazed at the knowledge on this site!

Some of you guys should be (maybe they are) ballistics experts, engineers.

WOW!
fishkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #27
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Tuck View Post
I understand the .243 and if you add a .270 as smaller caliber, but 360 (I assume you mean 30.06) and 7mm are substantially larger caliber as far as recoil is concerned. Could you explain?

I'll bet he means 260.

P

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
That is all I have been shooting the last couple years and it's a very deadly setup. I suppose it kicks a little but I killed my first buck with it when I was 12 and it didn't bother me then and still doesn't. No recoil pad either so it cant really kick that hard.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #29
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
An angle eject was mandatory if you wanted a decent scope on it, though the gun is very popular back east where the undercover was so intense that most game was shot at distances not really requiring a scope. Kind of like our Coast Range here in Oregon. The .30-30 I just bought my wife is the angle eject.
I put a Scout scope on mine out of necessity since it is a top eject and it turns out I really prefer that setup. If i got a side eject I would do the same thing! It is very well balanced to pack and shoot and you can shoot with both eyes open. The only draw back is you are limited to 2.5 power but for stuff under 200 yards which is what the gun is meant for it is perfect. Much quicker target acquisition.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
That is all I have been shooting the last couple years and it's a very deadly setup. I suppose it kicks a little but I killed my first buck with it when I was 12 and it didn't bother me then and still doesn't. No recoil pad either so it cant really kick that hard.
Awesome. I'll have to get her some of that ammo. It really sounds amazing. I just ran across the following article about the LEVERevolution .30-30 ammo, written back in 2005:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm
Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
I put a Scout scope on mine out of necessity since it is a top eject and it turns out I really prefer that setup. If i got a side eject I would do the same thing! It is very well balanced to pack and shoot and you can shoot with both eyes open. The only draw back is you are limited to 2.5 power but for stuff under 200 yards which is what the gun is meant for it is perfect. Much quicker target acquisition.
Interesting. Thanks, Joe. Obviously the parallax isn't a problem for you! Quicker target acquisition is very important, for sure.

Last edited by steamboat; 11-08-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #32
Tuna Tuck
Cutthroat

Quote:
Why are you limited to 2.5 power? I am just curious
Tuna Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #33
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

If you're looking for an "Investment Grade" Winchester, it wants to look something like this.

Of course this is NOT an 1894 Winchester, but rather an earlier 1873 Winchester Carbine.

However there were 1894s made in this grade that are highly desireable.

Any of the "Commemorative" or "Anniversary" model 1894s the money made was made by the company when they sold them to folks who imagined they might be valuable in the future. Well not very, as it turns out.

Last edited by billc_sbio; 11-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.
billc_sbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Tuck View Post
Why are you limited to 2.5 power? I am just curious
Because of the longer (9") eye relief of the Scout scope. Any more magnification and you don't have adequate Field Of View.

I love the setup! One shot with the 165 grain LeveRevolution is all this 400 pound bear needed. I have the bullet and it performed well as far as retaining lead and mushrooming in my opinion.

Last edited by Joe; 11-08-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #35
tyjoja
Fry

I bought mine when I was 12 (1972) from a guy in a parking lot outside a sporting goods store for 60 bucks. Great western Oregon deer gun. Mines made in 1949. Very quick to the shoulder and target if you jump something. It feels like it was made to hold in your hands and carry. My Dad's got a Marlin 336 made the same year and you can say all of the above about it also, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. But both great rifles. I use Hornady lever revolutions in 150 gr., and if I was able to see that far, the gun would be good to over 200+, but with open sights and my over 50 eyes, its tough to use much anymore. Though about putting a scope on either one of the guns, but our models would have to be drilled to mount a scope, and I would never do it. Plan on keeping both forever and passing down to my boy's. I would check to see if you could get a pre-64, even if you have to spend more, you'll never regret it.

P.S. That model 1873 is a Beautiful rifle.
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Yes, I changed the wording on my post there.

Did you notice that '73's a Carbine?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc_sbio View Post
Yes, I changed the wording on my post there.

Did you notice that '73's a Carbine?

That is a pretty rifle. Nice!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
steamboat
Chromer

Quote:
Because of the longer (9") eye relief of the Scout scope. Any more magnification and you don't have adequate Field Of View.

I love the setup! One shot with the 165 grain LeveRevolution is all this 400 pound bear needed. I have the bullet and it performed well as far as retaining lead and mushrooming in my opinion.

Nice bear. I haven't heard anything bad about that ammo yet. Thanks for sharing. Awesome!