Need Teriyaki Smoked Salmon Recipe - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Steelhead Lunatic
Chromer

Default Need Teriyaki Smoked Salmon Recipe

As the title says i am looking for a recipe for making teriyaki smoked salmon. I did some searches on here and i found some mention of it but never an actual recipe. I know some people just put store bought teriyaki sauce on the salmon but i would really like to make it from scratch. Weird i know but everythings better if you do it yourself right? anyways i was also wondering if i should just brine the salmon in regular teriyaki sauce or if there are other ingredients that you add to it specifically for the brining of the salmon.

Steelhead Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
rob allen
King Salmon

Default Re: Need Teriyaki Smoked Salmon Recipe

soy sauce, brown sugar,jonnys seasoning and honey.. never measure any of it

we prefer low sodium soy sauce
rob allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
BlackBass
Ifish Nate

teryaki sauce brown sugar white sugar no salt. brine for however long you desire depending on size and thickness.
BlackBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
tsorrels
Ifish Nate

Christmas Re: Need Teriyaki Smoked Salmon Recipe

Yoshidas gourmet sauce ,, is all I brine salmon in ,
tsorrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
tomc
Steelhead

Smoked Salmon, (Squaw Candy)

Ingredients:
5 pounds Salmon Fillets, Skinned and all Pin Bones Removed
1 quart Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce
1 quart Teriyaki Sauce
2 cups Pure Maple Syrup
1 cup Dry White Wine
1 tablespoon Pure Sesame Oil
6 cloves Garlic, mashed then finely chopped
1-2 tablespoons Dried Chili Pepper Flakes, (or to taste)
2 tablespoons Sesame Seeds, lightly toasted

Preparation:
Slice the thicker part of the Fillet, lengthwise into uniform ½” thick slices, the Tail piece of the fillet, I like leave whole.

Combine wet and dry ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and allow to thicken slightly. Reserve 1 cup of brine mixture for basting during the smoke process.

Place Salmon Fillet and slices in doubled, gallon Zip-Lock bag and cover with brine mixture, place in refrigerator for approximately 12 hours, rotating the bag every couple of hours.

Place Salmon in single layers on drying racks and allow to air dry in cool place for several hours or until a hard pellicle forms over the surface, Salmon should be shiny and very tacky.

Place brined Salmon on racks in Smoker, (don’t forget to spray the racks with a non-stick spray first), larger pieces of Salmon on lower rack and allow to smoke at 150° for approximately 4 to 5 hours, then increase heat to 175° and continue smoking for an additional 2 hours, or until Salmon is done to your liking, (I like my Salmon crispy around the edges, but my Wife likes hers softer). Baste the Salmon once an hour with reserved brining mix. Add pre-soaked Apple Wood chunks to smoker pan every hour during the smoking process.
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
afisha4real
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Smoked Salmon, (Squaw Candy)

Ingredients:
5 pounds Salmon Fillets, Skinned and all Pin Bones Removed
1 quart Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce
1 quart Teriyaki Sauce
2 cups Pure Maple Syrup
1 cup Dry White Wine
1 tablespoon Pure Sesame Oil
6 cloves Garlic, mashed then finely chopped
1-2 tablespoons Dried Chili Pepper Flakes, (or to taste)
2 tablespoons Sesame Seeds, lightly toasted

Preparation:
Slice the thicker part of the Fillet, lengthwise into uniform ½” thick slices, the Tail piece of the fillet, I like leave whole.

Combine wet and dry ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and allow to thicken slightly. Reserve 1 cup of brine mixture for basting during the smoke process.

Place Salmon Fillet and slices in doubled, gallon Zip-Lock bag and cover with brine mixture, place in refrigerator for approximately 12 hours, rotating the bag every couple of hours.

Place Salmon in single layers on drying racks and allow to air dry in cool place for several hours or until a hard pellicle forms over the surface, Salmon should be shiny and very tacky.

Place brined Salmon on racks in Smoker, (don’t forget to spray the racks with a non-stick spray first), larger pieces of Salmon on lower rack and allow to smoke at 150° for approximately 4 to 5 hours, then increase heat to 175° and continue smoking for an additional 2 hours, or until Salmon is done to your liking, (I like my Salmon crispy around the edges, but my Wife likes hers softer). Baste the Salmon once an hour with reserved brining mix. Add pre-soaked Apple Wood chunks to smoker pan every hour during the smoking process.

Must try
afisha4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Artwo
King Salmon

This is one of my favorite BBQ marinades but I suppose you could use it for smoked fish as well (my MIL even likes it and she doesn't do fish at all)......

3 cups low sodium soy sauce
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbls minced fresh ginger
1 tbls minced fresh garlic
pinch of sea salt
fresh ground pepper to taste

Completely mix all ingredients in a bowl. Place fillets in a gallon ziplock bag and pour marinade in and marinade overnight. Make sure that all fillets get complete coverage (I even roll the bag over a couple times through the marinade process)

Take fillets out of marinade and pat with paper towel.

Now here's where the differemce in cooking comes in. I BBQ mine on a soaked cedar plank until done through. I suspect you could start your smoking process here to achieve what you are looking for.

Great sweet ginger taste, almost like candy........

Last edited by Artwo; 11-03-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
greenbuttskunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsorrels View Post
Yoshidas gourmet sauce ,, is all I brine salmon in ,
yep, brine in a ziplock bag in the stuff for 24-36 hours, drain and dry in fridge for 4-6 hours, pepper it, then smoke.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
german dude
Steelhead

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
plunkero1
Steelhead

I just did a batch of this smoked fish this weekend and it turned out awsome!

4 cups brown sugar
1 cup salt
1tblspn black pepper or red pepper if u want a little heat
1 tblspn garlic powder
1 or 2 bottles of Yoshidas teriyaki sauce (just enough to cover fish)
Maple syrup

I like to start by cutting my fish into 1 inch strips. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl then roll ur pieces of fish in the mix till u have a good coating then lay ur fish skin side down in another bowl or dish after its coated and repeat but the next layer of fillets put it meat side down so that ur fish is meat to meat and skin to skin and add another layer of mix on top of fish. Afterward cover fish and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Then pull fish out and drain but do not rinse. After u drain the fish poor the yoshidas over the fish until its completely covered then recover dish and refrigerate for another 8-10 hours. After that put fish on a cookie sheet and let air dry till its tacky. Then put in smoker at about 150 with whatever kind of chips u like ( I prefer the alder pucks) and baste with the maple syrup about every hour or so until done. I have an electric masterbuilt and usually takes about 3 hours to smoke and I go thru about 4-5 pucks. I've tried several recipes and this by far is my favorite.
plunkero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Steelhead Lunatic
Chromer

Thank you everyone for all the recipes! They sound delicious, i am going to try some of them in the next couple weeks. I have nearly a whole freezer full of coho filets so i need to smoke some of them to make room before steelhead season.
Steelhead Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
duckdaddy
Fry

I Use 1/2 soy sauce and 1/2 teriyaki sauce. Use enough to cover your fish. You need nothing else... Brine for 3 hours and smoke for 3 hours.

Don’t wash brine off. It comes out perfect!

I have tried 100s of different recipes. Nothing compares to this for simplicity, consistency and flavor. It comes out the same every time!
I use to use brown sugar, and salt and all the other typical ingredients. Salt dries out the fish and I hate a salty smoke salmon. The soy sauce has enough salt in it to cure properly. The salmon has a great flavor by itself. I found the less is more. Try it, you will like it!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
h20dog
Tuna!

Roger’s melt In Your Mouth Smoked Salmon

3 Cups Yoshita's Gourmet Sauce
1/2 cup non iodized salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water

Combine ingredients and allow salmon to sit in mixture
at least overnight making sure all salmon is fully covered.
Use alder wood to smoke the salmon.
After the salmon has been smoking for 4 hrs.,
I baste it with a mixture dark rum, brown sugar and fresh cracked black pepper that has been heated in the microwave until the brown sugar is dissolved.
With a pastry brush, brush it on the salmon 3 times during the last 4 hrs. of smoking