Sled Springs Elk - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
ar15mp5
Steelhead

Default Sled Springs Elk

Anyone know a good area to find a nice bull in the Sled Springs Unit? I buck hunted up there a few weeks ago and start my bull hunt in a week. I didnt see very many elk......lots of sign, just no elk. Let me know if you have any info. Would be greatly appreciated!

ar15mp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Buckhunt
Chromer

Default Re: Sled Springs Elk

FYI - if see lots of sign normal that means there is elk in the area. It's been my observation at least.

No Joke - out an hour before light and not back at camp until after dark is the key.
Buckhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
The Deer
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15mp5 View Post
Anyone know a good area to find a nice bull in the Sled Springs Unit? I buck hunted up there a few weeks ago and start my bull hunt in a week. I didnt see very many elk......lots of sign, just no elk. Let me know if you have any info. Would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck on your hunt share pictures when you get back.
The Deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

It's White Hot. Have fun.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
huntinbiggins
Steelhead

Since deer season the Indians have been up there shooting anything and everything they can on public land.

Most of the elk have been pushed to private property in both sleds and chesnim. Not saying there's not any elk left on public, its just a crying shame what the Indians get to do...

We have a bull and cow tag for Sleds this year, for my 12yr old son and 16yr old daughter. Can't wait!!! Best of luck to you...

huntinbiggins
huntinbiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
onstep
Tuna!

Quote:
Don't take this wrong, but you are joking right? That tag takes three years to draw and you want to know where a nice bull elk is??? Anyone who is going to offer up that kind of info is just ignorant or leading you away from the elk.
Here is some info. Get out of the rig and walk away from the road. Lazy people don't kill elk there.
Call a Bio and ask him where he is seeing elk. ODFW has an office up there. Assuming none of them have a tag you should get a straight answer.
I will offer this up.... If you mentor my nephew and I get the elk I'd be happy to show you a bunch of bulls
huntinbiggins is 100% spot on. The tribes hammer those herds.

Last edited by onstep; 10-16-2013 at 01:15 PM.
onstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
BigRodney1
Tuna!

Please forgive my ignorance but what do the Indians get to do? Which tribes? Is this in the regs or some sort of treaty right or what? I've bow hunted sled springs off and on when I draw a tag and I've never heard of this. As far as finding elk goes I've found them in one area one year and none anywhere in that area the next, they have a lot of country to move around in there, you just have to put in the work and find them.

Last edited by BigRodney1; 10-16-2013 at 02:16 PM.
BigRodney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
EasternOregon4Life
Coho

Saw three really nice branch bulls standing broadside at 50 yards in sled springs during opening weekend of deer season. Along with lots of cow elk. They are there, all about right place right time. oh and I have seen them everywhere in that unit, not just one specific place. Your odds get better the more ground you cover, obviously. Good luck!
EasternOregon4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
NPhunter
Steelhead

Maybe all of the Indians ran them over into the river Doubt any one has walked up there to bother them. I am sure the Indians ran them all of just like the wolfs ran off all the elk in Imnaha. LOL
NPhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
uhmw
Sturgeon

You can most certainly find the Elk reaper out past the internment camp. His hide out is at the end of a ridge and the buzzards are always circling and sitting by his side. Its very quiet around there, not even the birds chirp.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Buckhunt
Chromer

This is the only unit hat has a lower successful rifle hunt than archery success.
Buckhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
ar15mp5
Steelhead

I dont need info on how to hunt elk. I grew up in La Grande and lived there all my life. Started elk hunting at age 12. Info on where elk are holding is good information for the beginner and experienced. But, thanks anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by onstep View Post
Don't take this wrong, but you are joking right? That tag takes three years to draw and you want to know where a nice bull elk is??? Anyone who is going to offer up that kind of info is just ignorant or leading you away from the elk.
Here is some info. Get out of the rig and walk away from the road. Lazy people don't kill elk there.
Call a Bio and ask him where he is seeing elk. ODFW has an office up there. Assuming none of them have a tag you should get a straight answer.
I will offer this up.... If you mentor my nephew and I get the elk I'd be happy to show you a bunch of bulls
huntinbiggins is 100% spot on. The tribes hammer those herds.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Davy
Ifish Nate

let me know too call me first
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
ar15mp5
Steelhead

Getting a little info. Thanks, ill take all I can get.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
RichH
Ifish Nate

While deer hunting we saw elk pretty much everywhere we went, we were along hwy 3.
Last year there were a bunch of elk down in the canyon, a group camping near us killed several but they also had quads and horses to retrieve them and we had only packs and ourselves so we did not go down there. It still took them a day and a half to get one out.

No divers and bait for wild steelhead!!!!

Some people just have better things to do than have a big wang contest on Ifish every day.
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
jeffromanley
Coho

The Boise Cascade/Forest Capital/Hancock Land is getting pretty open with the logging all over that unit. Plenty of Clearcuts you can walk into and scope out.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
ar15mp5
Steelhead

Well, only a couple days until i head out. Hopefully I can find a nice bull and post some pics.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
ar15mp5
Steelhead

Well, hunted the whole season and put on a lot of miles on the ol boots. Saw a few elk, but not an abundance. I was very disappointed in the amount of people that were in this unit. I have elk hunted 25 years and never seen this many people in an area, inluding when it was general hunting and not draw.
Its a good unit, but as long as they allow as many tags as they do, I will hunt somewhere else. Very disappointed.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
RichH
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Well, hunted the whole season and put on a lot of miles on the ol boots. Saw a few elk, but not an abundance. I was very disappointed in the amount of people that were in this unit. I have elk hunted 25 years and never seen this many people in an area, inluding when it was general hunting and not draw.
Its a good unit, but as long as they allow as many tags as they do, I will hunt somewhere else. Very disappointed.

Spoke with a friend that hunted over there this year and last, he and his father both killed 5 points but he said beside the bull he killed he saw one other cow. Last year he and his father were done 30 minutes into the season, they each shot a bull out of the same herd and he saw elk all over. His comment was they were very spread out this year.

No divers and bait for wild steelhead!!!!

Some people just have better things to do than have a big wang contest on Ifish every day.
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Roosevelt7x7
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Last year there were a bunch of elk down in the canyon,

Quote:
Sounds like you didn't dive off into the canyon....