Kwikfish setup - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Rimshot
Tuna!

Default Kwikfish setup

I'm wanting to hear some opinions on how you guys and gals setup your kwikfish rigs. I personally put my lead line on a swivel and slide it up my mainline. Then I slide a bead on and tie a swivel to the end of the mainline. Then I tie on the leader that runs to the kwik. This way my weight can slide if it gets hung in a botched net attempt(this never happens right :tongue. What prompted me to post this however is I usually run a 4' leader and a 16-30" dropper but I have seen several posts lately stating they are using a 5' dropper and leader - in 12-15' of water . This is about the standard for me for fall fish in 50' but I've never used anything that far off the bottom for spring fish. I have to admit I haven't caught alot of spring fish though so I'm trying to soak up all the tips I can. Anybody want to share their setup with the group? Anyone fish with that long of a dropper? Anyone want to give me gps coordinates to their honey hole? Anyone know the next winning lottery numbers? I'd better stop there.... . Take care all.

Rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Default Re: Kwikfish setup

The next winning lottery numbers are 14, 32, 10, 44, 51 and 6.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
SKP
Ifish Nate

Read the April issue for Salmon, Trout, Steelheader Magazine. Good info there.

SKP :grin:
Old 03-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
Rimshot
Tuna!

Nice. The lottery numbers were what I was really hoping for. Thanks KT .
Rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Lured In
Sturgeon

For me it depends on current speed and bottom contour. Faster current will generally cause the kwikie to dig a little more. A 'bumpy' bottom and you could end up in a trough with your kwikie out of sight if you are not careful about where you back bouce.

Personally I like a 30-42" dropper and a 5' leader in 90% of the water I hit on the Columbia while running kwikies. Just make sure your kwikie is doing the happy dance.

Remember its a balance between leader and dropper length. If you are using a short leader, you can get by with a much shorter dropper. Also if you are marking fish 2-4' off the bottom, lengthen your dropper as you may be underneath them. (or vice versa)

Its probably like anything else, everybody has their favorite setup. Go with what works for you.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
ZaQ
Sturgeon

Quote:
Read the April issue for Salmon, Trout, Steelheader Magazine. Good info there.

You beat me!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #7
SKP
Ifish Nate

I've been thinking alot of kwikfishing technique lately myself, especially backtrolling and trolling. I have a boat, but only taken it springer fishing once if I recall about three years ago, not having a clue what to do, so we anchored prawn/spinners in the current on the bottom - no bites. I love bobber fishing and drift fishinig for springers, so the boat fishing I'm still in the springer 101 course. I've had a boat since 1999, but I'm stubborn I guess, maybe spoiled, since bobber fishing for springers can be deadly. But now I work close to the Portland area, so I just can't skip over this opportunity to try the boat now.

If I have read ifish and STS correctly, in deeper water, springers will tend to run in the water column 12-20 feet, higher if water clarity is poorer. So this got me thinking.

If water clarity on a given day is 4.0 feet, and you want your kwikfish in the water column where the springers travel, you will want to be in the "ZONE", where the highest percentage of fish travel. If your fish finder is scoping fish on a particular day at 14-18 feet and clarity is 4.0 feet, you would want your kwikfish trolled or backtrolled at the 14 foot or so depth. This way, the springers in that water column will see your bait all the way down to the 18 foot level. By adding a sardine wrap with added scent, you would target those inside and outside the "ZONE" range.

HMMMMMMMMMM.......... I'm going to try this on Saturday for the FIRST time with my boat. We'll see how soon I graduate to springer 201.

This smily looks like how a kwikfish should look in the water> <but faster.

What do you experienced kwikfishers think? Or do I need to go back and take the quiz again, teacher?

Old 03-30-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
SKP
Ifish Nate

Oh, I forgot to mention the pages in the April Salmon, Trout, Steelheader magazine.

Very specific kwikfish information - Page 72 (you'll find some of our very own ifishers in this article).

Other Willamette and Columbia springer setups - Page 50 (This is a very good article also), which should be followed by an ifish search of ******'s prawn spinner article, who has some great stuff.

Also, don't forget to do an ifish on pearl's springer techniques.

You'll be 'em soon.

SKP
Old 03-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
The Overfishin Condition
Sturgeon

Old 03-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #10
Nanook

SKP, I would make sure ZaQ and crew send you recurring "royalty" checks, or at least take you fishing.

:grin: :grin:
Old 03-30-2004, 05:44 PM   #11
dawhunt
Ifish Nate

I use a 4' dropper and a 5' leader.I tryed a 2' dropper today went back to 4' dropper thats the way I've fished for them the last three years.Figured it worked before it will work again.Is the April issue of STS out yet if it is I haven't got mine in the mail yet ???
Bob
Bob Dawson #52
Life time member CCA
dawhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:05 PM   #12
ZaQ
Sturgeon

I got a copy of STS at BC Angling.

Nonook, we should send you the royalty checks, you mention the carrot more than SKP does.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:06 PM   #13
DollarBill
Steelhead

I say try a lot of different set ups, to see what works for you in the area that you fish. I use a 20" dropper and a 5' leader and it works for me where I fish. $Bill
DollarBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #14
Nanook

SKP, Let's go fishing.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:02 PM   #15
Get Bent
Chromer

FIRST TAKE THE QUICK FISH THROW IT IN THE SEAT BOX TIE ON A SPINNER AND CATCH FISH
SKP LETS GO FISHING CALL ME 2
Old 03-30-2004, 08:59 PM   #16
Dipnet
Ifish Nate

Get Bent, I hate to argue with you, but ask ****** and Steelie Steve how my kwikfish performed a couple of weeks ago !! After ****** said, and I quote "that kwikfish won't catch anything" ! Next thing you I know, he and SS were yelling fish on !! So, sometimes a spinner, and sometimes a kwikie or even a Wigglewart will do the job !!!

Dipnet :grin:
Old 03-30-2004, 09:15 PM   #17
Kevin Newell
Chromer

Get Bent! Spinners!! I'm going to have to place an order so I can get into em this fall! By the way thanks for your help today!

I generally run an arms length dropper in the spring. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less depending on bottom contour and the speed of the current. I think it is important to have the lure in front of, or above the fish rather than below it. I think anywhere in the 2.5 to 4' range for your lead dropper is fine for kwikfish. Good luck! :smile:
Kevin Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #18
Nanook

Yea...yea..yea..me..me...me

But who put you in the spot where a worm would
have worked. :grin: :grin:
Old 03-30-2004, 09:45 PM   #19
Dipnet
Ifish Nate

Yep, that's the way I am, me...me...me :grin:!! You know how much we appreciate all your help , and I guess I'll try a worm next time !! How do you get them to stay on your kwikie anyway???? And don't tell me to use that stinkin' stretchy thread !

Old 03-31-2004, 06:28 AM   #20
greenbuttskunk

I did a few illustrations in this month's STS magazine featuring the carrots, and it gives a good picture of how to rig up a Kwikfish. This works well and helps to prevent
tangles, especialy if you want to get back behind the boat a bit. Give it a shot, I rig them this way too and I like it alot. Now if I could just find some real time to put it to work! :depressed:
GBS
Old 03-31-2004, 08:04 AM   #21
Nanook

You already got it figured out Dipnet.

The more important question is how to keep the fish <font color="green"> in </font> the net. :grin:
Old 03-31-2004, 09:06 AM   #22
SKP
Ifish Nate

Just posting what I have confidence will work. This post is mainly about kwikfish, but Get Bent's spinners I know will also be deadly, as is ******'s prawn spinner rig. Pearl's post about springer techniques is really awesome too!

I don't need any royalty checks, send them to Jennie. Ifish is all about sharing how to catch fish, and if it wasn't for Jennie having this site, we wouldn't have all this valuable info at our fingertips.

Saturday afteroon, I'm going to try out some of these techniques myself. Hopefully, some hatchery springers have made it past the nets, and it's not a zoo out there. I'm wanting to some chrome.

Wave if you see me in a 14 foot light green/blue Mirrocraft in the OC area in the afternoon.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:27 AM   #23
Nanook

Wish you the best SKP. :smile: You let us know when you want to fish.

Rick
Old 03-31-2004, 09:41 AM   #24
bllelk
Chromer

GBS,

Did you guys do any good in that mini hog line you had set up Sunday?
I passed by in the Arima with the crab capture flag.
Got one above the 72 wingdam.
Fickle Pickle, about 30 " of lead line, about 5' of leader.
about that long.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:46 AM   #25
Dipnet
Ifish Nate

Rick, we just need a little more practice :blush: on the netting!!!You know what they say, practice makes perfect(well almost) !!

Old 03-31-2004, 10:16 AM   #26
Thumb Burner
Steelhead

Which month of STS is the Carrot Crew in?
Thumb Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:25 AM   #27
greenbuttskunk

the very latest issue.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:27 AM   #28
greenbuttskunk

blelk,
we got zippo, ended up taking the kid to get his first sturgeon, he was jazzed. Good job putting one in the boat, that's great. I'm full of envy!
GBS
Old 03-31-2004, 11:27 AM   #29
Thumb Burner
Steelhead

I picked up the March issue it must be the April issue that is due out on store shelfs on the 7th of April.
Thumb Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:53 PM   #30
bllelk
Chromer

All:

I really believe in the sliding lead line set up.
Especially after Sunday when I had to take three or four shots at getting the fish in the net. (Single handing)
Old 03-31-2004, 04:31 PM   #31
Mark Vickers
Tuna!

This is my somewhat humble attempt to answer your question based on my own style and techniques that I use in the Columbia.

This all started for me when I saw a demonstration from a guide (whose name now escapes me) at GI Joes several years ago in which he advocated using a diver and flasher/dodger. Until that point, I had exclusively fished banana sinkers and herring. Through several years of experiments, I now run the following setups most of the time:

Double Deep Six #1 diver (6 ounce) -&gt; 12-18" line -&gt; Les Davis 0 or 00 dodger -&gt; 48-60" line -&gt; K14-K16 Kwikfish

Or Double Deep Six #1 diver (6 ounce) -&gt; 48-60" line -&gt; K14-K16 Kwikfish

The brands of divers don't really matter that much as long as they get your stuff down to the right depth. (You might try Old Salty planers as they sponsor Ifish.) I'll judge the depth to run it at based on where I'm seeing fish on the fish finder. I keep my gear either right with them or slightly above them. If I'm not marking any fish, I'll run the setup around 15' deep in overcast conditions, or deeper if itís sunny out.

While weíre talking about brands, I donít suppose the brand of dodger/flasher matters much either, but I grew up using Les Davis dodgers in the ocean, so thatís what I continue to use. (You might also try Konezone as they too sponsor Ifish.)

I'll choose the colors and sizes depending on water visibility. Iíll generally choose bigger and brighter lures if the water is murky and downsize slightly if itís clear. A lot of people advocate chartreuse regardless of conditions. Oddly enough, Iíve had my best luck with a silver and blue K14 Kwikfish. The rumor is that the larger the kwikfish, the easier it is for the fish to see. It also elicits more of a threat and thus more strikes. The drawback is that the smaller kwikfish seem to get more hookups. As well, with the K14ís and even K13ís, you can pick up the occasional steelhead.

I troll this around 1 MPH almost exclusively downstream, only changing to go upstream if the tide is coming in or not moving.

I don't use bait wraps although many people swear by them. Infrequently, I just put a little Smelly Jelly or some other waxy scent stuff on the lure. But even then, I don't do it regularly. Regardless, I still haven't had problems catching fish. A guide I know says that springers donít care about scent, but you canít catch a fall Chinook without it.

All that said, I must add on that fighting fish with the diver and dodger isnít the best experience in the whole world as both you and the fish have to fight some pretty heavy drag. Thatís why Iím pretty excited about the new Kwikfish K16X. If Iím in shallow water, say less than 20í, I just tie that directly to my mainline and troll it. It dives on its own. In the shallow areas off the mouths of tributary rivers, this should be a winner.

I donít profess to be an expert, but I have been successful with this method. As well, Iíve picked up ocean Coho with similar but smaller gear.

This should get you started at least. The thing I always emphasize is keep experimentingÖ
Mark Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote