Finally got me a 3wt! Now need a reel? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Eddy1994
Chromer

Default Finally got me a 3wt! Now need a reel?

Just picked up a 3wt for small creek and dry fly fishing. Tryin to get a good reel for it. Small small chance id be getting fish up to 17 inches on it so i would need a good drag just in case.

Right now looking at.....

Wet fly element reel? 34.99
Cabelas wind river? 29.99
Other reels?

Looking to keep this cost as low as i can, i got a girlfriend, a truck and college to pay for. I know what you pay for is what you get, i just dont got a to money right now. So would love to hear some suggestions! Thanks.

Eddy1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Default Re: Finally got me a 3wt! Now need a reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy1994 View Post
Just picked up a 3wt for small creek and dry fly fishing. Tryin to get a good reel for it. Small small chance id be getting fish up to 17 inches on it so i would need a good drag just in case.

Other reels?

Looking to keep this cost as low as i can, i got a girlfriend, a truck and college to pay for. I know what you pay for is what you get, i just dont got a to money right now. So would love to hear some suggestions! Thanks.
I would check out the echo reel for 35$ at the caddis fly shop's website.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
clarkman23
Chromer

You really can't go wrong with what you've mentioned. I've always been partial to Medalists (1492 would be perfect) but also The Pflueger Supreme 3/4 is a sweet little machined spring/pawl reel. Both are no longer made, but can be had on the auction site for under $50 (and they show up pretty regularly--the standard medalist can be had for $20 if you look hard enough). If you're budget allows, it might also be worth checking out the Redington Drift reels. I have the 5/6 and they are really nice trout reels.

also, a note about the Supremes, Eagle Claw made a knock-off (same reel, just badged Eagle Claw, not Pflueger actually) that is usually cheaper still. I think I paid less than $35 for mine--it's the gold one...looks like this:

Last edited by clarkman23; 10-04-2013 at 12:29 AM.
clarkman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
SquarePeg
Steelhead

Ditto on the 1492 recommendation. I have two of them. The only down side is not having and adjustable drag. I don't need "more", but I could use "less" with 1 lb tippet.

My favorite light reel is a probably a break-the-bank choice ... Sage "Click" series.

In between, Bass Pro Shops sells the "White River Fly Shop" ultralight reel. Some of the reviews are not very positive. I have 2 of these and have no complaints at all.

For my 5 foot / 2 weight rod I retired one of my 1492s replacing it with one of the White River Fly Shop reels for better balance.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Rangnertm
Steelhead

Redington Drift http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/drift/

A little more spendy than the others you mentioned but a nice solid little reel. I grabbed one for my buddy and he loves it.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
PerfectRiverLevels
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy1994 View Post

Other reels?

Save up a little more money, okay..... a lot more money. Buy a Hardy LRH, it will last you a life time and nothing sound better with a big fish ripping line....
PerfectRiverLevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
supertim
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifisherkid View Post
I would check out the echo reel for 35$ at the caddis fly shop's website.
I'll second that for sure. best drag on a sub $50 reel you can buy. I have two.

Also I checked out that wet fly element reel... It seems to be the same chinese reel I bought on ebay a while back just in a different color and with a logo. Except it was like $18 for me. Not a bad reel for $18 but i wouldn't pay more than that for it. I just checked and they are now available in camo too lol. just search fly reel on ebay and set the price to $20 max and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by supertim; 10-06-2013 at 11:02 AM.
supertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
fishandbowcoop
Steelhead

I would go with the wind river I have seen the others but I have an 8 wt. wind river and I absolutely love it smooth drag and retrieve.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

I just ordered a White River reel from BPS, anyone had experience with this? I might do a review depending on if it's great or horrible. I got a 20$ gift card for my birthday and they have free shipping this week so it was like 9.99 for it. Regularly 29.99, I will let you know how it goes, could be another option. It looks good for the price but I had a hard time finding reviews on it. Figured I would be the first to test the ice.