Fish filets fridge life? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 09-18-2003, 05:26 PM   #1
weekend warrior
Steelhead

Default Fish filets fridge life?

Yuh know, I was wondering how long are fish filets good for while in the fridge in zip locks? My family and friends love fresh fish so I try not to immediately freeze it after fileting. But how long is too long at 38-40 degrees.
I would hate to ruin any fish let alone make some people sick. Also after a couple days can you throw it in the freeze if you think it's going bad or is the damage already done?
I feel pretty dumb asking these questions since I've been fishing since I was little but I've never had them asked so I figured I'd ask a bunch of experienced fisher people.

Thanks in advance
Later Geoff

Capt. Team Doughball
Team Motto:
It's not how many fish you catch but how many rods you have in the boatest.2003
Cracker 365 days a year
weekend warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:47 PM   #2
Steelhead Hound
Steelhead

Default Re: Fish filets fridge life?

I never leave it in thr fridge for more then 2 days after I caught it. A good thing to invest in is a good vaccum packer they work great!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
Thumper
King Salmon

The fish you buy in grocery stores may be 10 or more days old. I know that from fishing in Alaska during the old halibut 24-hr "seasons", then returning 10 days later to find "fresh" Alaska halibut in our larger stores. But that 10-day old stuff has been on shaved ice (33-34 F), whereas your refrigerator is likely 38-40 F.

Our fish does not stay in the refrigerator more than 2-3 days.

Time for CCA to now start focusing on cormorants and Caspian terns. Let's save a few million smolts!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
ANDYCOHO
Sturgeon

I live by the 5 day rule, on the 6th day it's crab bait

Skippering:'The Retriever' & 'ANDYCOHO'
NON-Guided Adventures!
ANDYCOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
jokester
King Salmon

If I know i'm gonna eat the fish that night, i'll leave the fillets in the fridge for the BBQ later :grin: Otherwise, they go immediately into the freezer! I'd rather have to thaw them out and not have them fresh than to let them go bad and not get to eat them at all [img]graemlins/berry.gif[/img]

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." -Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
weekend warrior
Steelhead

Thanks guys for the replies. I had a feeling that 3-5 days was about max. I have a vac seal but if I'm given away fish I hate to waste the bags on it. Thanks again everyone.

Later Geoff

Capt. Team Doughball
Team Motto:
It's not how many fish you catch but how many rods you have in the boatest.2003
Cracker 365 days a year
weekend warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:18 PM   #7
RIPPLE
Chromer

I would agree with the five days max. (Vacuum packed and buried in shaved ice maybe up to 10.)
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

[ 09-19-2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: RIPPLE ]
Old 09-19-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
Wreckless
King Salmon

I've had success keeping fresh fish for up to a week if you pat it dry and place it in an open pan with a damp towel over the fish in a VERY cold fridge. The fridge is cold enough if the beers next to the fish get slushy :grin: .

Of course I have a "Bait Fridge" in the garage and live alone......hmmmmm I wonder why that is?

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
RvW
King Salmon

Oxygen and enzymes spoil meat and fish plain and simple. Keep the oxygen out and the temp at 36, vaccuum packing is ideal and heres a little tip for those concerned about bags, if you use the "tube" style as I do, use a bit larger bag than the meat or fish you plan to seal, cut the bag with scissors right at the seal, wash it and re-use it! youll get 2, 3 even 4 uses out of a bag although they do get a bit smaller every time, the extra few inches the first time around is far less than a whole new bag.

An important thing to consider, actually, two.
Make sure the fish is not soaking wet, and dont let it freeze or develop crystals in the fridge. Fresh fish last far longer than fish that has been previously frozen. When any meat freezes the moisture is drawn together when it crystalizes, thus bringing the oxygen with it. Freezer burn is much more easy to prevent if you know what it is. dehydration, plain and simple. When you freeze meat or fish, DONT freeze it right away, allow it to sit in the fridge for around 24 hours and then freeze it. It freezes much faster and forms much smaller ice crystals which keep the moisture distributed much more evenly when it is frozen from 36-38 degrees than frozen at room, (or river) temps..

Im getting beyond the question here, but thought I would elaborate a little. Allowing a fish to complete the rigor mortis cycle is important too before freezing or eating. Ever wonder why IQF and commercially harvested fish isnt quite as good as fresh caught? its the same species right! Its handled differently. IQF doesnt allow for rigor mortis, it freezes too quikly trapping large crystals inside the meat which do a number on the texture, and then when it is thawed, the enzymes that would have naturally caused the fish to go into and come out of rigor mortis are dead causing traces of ammonia as soon as the fish starts to thaw.

Absorb the moisture, allow to go into and come out of rigor motis (a day in the fridge is adequate) vacuum seal, refrigerate again for 12-24 hours...then either eat or freeze. If you decide to leave it in the fridge, it will last 10 days easy, and taste like you caught it yesterday.
RvW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #10
freespool
King Salmon

I just let my nose tell me if it's food or crab bait.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote