Charter Boat Hits Astoria Bridge - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #61
meistro60
Fry

Default Re: Charter Boat Hits Astoria Bridge

Nobody got hurt. That is good. Screw ups happen but I agree pro charters should always bring your best.
I also noticed the semi truck in the great pics and just thought it was an interesting detail that it was going across the bridge at the exact moment the charter hit the bridge support.
I then showed the pic to the Mrs and she immediately noticed the white cross on the side of the semi trailer.
Nobody got hurt.

meistro60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #62
Howard
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull2 View Post
And you are right, this charter boat was hemmed in by the smaller boats and none of them would move so he could get away from the bridge safely.

Isn't it the captains responsibility for the safe operation of his boat? Placing your craft in a situation where you are "hemmed in" and reliant upon the avoidance maneuvers of others hardly seems responsible seamanship.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #63
MarlinMark
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Isn't it the captains responsibility for the safe operation of his boat? Placing your craft in a situation where you are "hemmed in" and reliant upon the avoidance maneuvers of others hardly seems responsible seamanship.

Just cause you are a captain doesn't mean you can walk on water and feed the hungry.

Everyone needs to stop judging and relax.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #64
Duckenfuss
Tuna!

Quote:
I talked to some of the passengers on this charter boat after they came back into port. And you are right, this charter boat was hemmed in by the smaller boats and none of them would move so he could get away from the bridge safely. The captain had a choice of hitting a small boat or hitting the bridge. I say he made the right choice. After the collision with the bridge, some of the smaller boaters even laughed. That is a pretty sad statement about those running the smaller boats. The smaller boats can maneuver so much easier than the larger boats - yet they made no attempt to get out of the way. When they saw the charter was in trouble they should have moved - but they didn't. In our boating experience we have noticed that a lot of small boats don't have a person manning the helm - so they don't even notice when they are about to hit another boat. We have avoided collisions because we make sure a person is always at the helm of our boat - buy many other smaller boaters don't. They don't even realize they almost hit us. Please make sure someone is always at the helm of your boat - so you can avoid causing an accident like this.

This guy puts himself and everyone in danger and we feel bad for him? He was "hemmed in" after he pushed and plowed his way in to an obviously poor position. Everyone saw this happening and could not believe he was going to attempt it. A good dozen boats saw a bad thing about to happen and cleared a path to allow the maneuver. Nobody wanted to get in the way! To say the smaller boats did not get out of the way is a joke. I forgive the guy-he made a mistake. But it was a situation he created for no reason other than getting on fish. A far cry from a lawnmower in your yard.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #65
O Tshawytcha
Ifish Nate

It can be hard to get out of some ones way when your in a parking lot.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #66
toothmaker
Steelhead

We were there also. Saw DJ come in and pick his place. Just before he got there a large aluminum boat blue and silver plowed the abutment just to our left.
Took it broadside very scary to watch!
I watched wondering of it would stick then roll on the current.
They gave it power and it slid off. No one was looking at the bridge on the boat. I could see it coming and said to my partner look that boat is going to hit the bridge!!!
The watched it happen not cool.
My stones went cold and I decided no fish is worth that and got the h--- out of there.
toothmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #67
Williams
Chromer

Sounds like this guy certainly has a history of wreck less behavior, Think I need to buy my Boss at work a ticket with this Capt

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #68
got hooked
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams View Post
Sounds like this guy certainly has a history of wreck less behavior, Think I need to buy my Boss at work a ticket with this Capt

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
Can my mother in law come too
got hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #69
huntercgr
Super Moderator

Some inappropriate posts have been removed. Please follow the AUP with your comments and then all is good. Stuff happens, right or wrong, read and learn and hope you're not next.
huntercgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #70
askeyb
Fry

Someone said there is a video on iFish of the Charter Boat hitting the bridge. Does anyone have the link to it?
askeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #71
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by askeyb View Post
Someone said there is a video on iFish of the Charter Boat hitting the bridge. Does anyone have the link to it?
A caller said that to Owen Hayes this morning on Outdoor GPS but I think they had still pics confused with video.
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #72
du pont spinner
Steelhead

This thread should be removed. How can anyone make judgement on anyone else when they think they know what exactly happened. This has spread like wildfire among the fisherman community. One person even called both of the live outdoor programs on TV and commented, even worse, the host on one of those shows called the skipper a complete and utter idiot. What??? What gives a weekend warrior jetsled captain the right To say that. Clearly, the captain made a mistake that was dangerous, but I believe everyone makes mistakes.
This captain has thousands of hours fishing in that river, he made a mistake people, this will happen to you too if you spend the time. Time to get off the bandwagon. Can we try to worry about what we got going on and focus on our surroundings rather than trash on a guy who screwed up. You never know what can happen, you may be need his help one day when you screw up. You may want to think of it that way.

Last edited by du pont spinner; 08-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.
du pont spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #73
Ironhed
Steelhead

[ The captain had a choice of hitting a small boat or hitting the bridge. I say he made the right choice.] He's a regular Captain Sully!
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #74
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Question is...should he have even gone there in the first place? That might have been where the poor judgement came into play.

I don't know the answer to that but I bet someone does.
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #75
fishnbus
Chromer

How many captains does it take to drive an oil tanker?.........One and a fifth.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #76
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbus View Post
How many captains does it take to drive an oil tanker?.........One and a fifth.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #77
pony keg
Steelhead

Quote:
I talked to some of the passengers on this charter boat after they came back into port. And you are right, this charter boat was hemmed in by the smaller boats and none of them would move so he could get away from the bridge safely. The captain had a choice of hitting a small boat or hitting the bridge. I say he made the right choice. After the collision with the bridge, some of the smaller boaters even laughed. That is a pretty sad statement about those running the smaller boats. The smaller boats can maneuver so much easier than the larger boats - yet they made no attempt to get out of the way. When they saw the charter was in trouble they should have moved - but they didn't. In our boating experience we have noticed that a lot of small boats don't have a person manning the helm - so they don't even notice when they are about to hit another boat. We have avoided collisions because we make sure a person is always at the helm of our boat - buy many other smaller boaters don't. They don't even realize they almost hit us. Please make sure someone is always at the helm of your boat - so you can avoid causing an accident like this.
I agree with this 100%, it is sad how many people think a large boat can just turn on a dime, they don't maneuver like small sport boats. i have personally had some real headaches jogging my boat around crowds in a heavy flood, (it is only an 18 ft) And to the guys before that said he should just stay in the ocean.....Im sure he would much rather be there, he is just trying to get his customers on fish.
pony keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #78
Bassjacker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykat View Post
I'm not piling on the guy. I just pointed out that PFD's are no where to be seen in such a close call. But I do support the idea that an "experienced" charter should have a better "A" game . . . like others are posting.

People's lives are on the line and this fishery is no time to be a hot shot at the helm. Safety and caution first. Most of us are glad he got lucky.

I didn't see any PFD's on the guys closer to the camera. Even the pope passes less judgement then you all.

If I was perfect, I would have an Ifish account
Old 08-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #79
Driften
Steelhead

Thumbs down Re: Charter Boat Hits Astoria Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony keg View Post
I agree with this 100%, it is sad how many people think a large boat can just turn on a dime, they don't maneuver like small sport boats. i have personally had some real headaches jogging my boat around crowds in a heavy flood, (it is only an 18 ft) And to the guys before that said he should just stay in the ocean.....Im sure he would much rather be there, he is just trying to get his customers on fish.
Saw him that wed-fri before stright out of westport in 330' of water doing good saw them with four fish in one pass, it was said never seen the stardust before by our Captain. I'm left wondering why he was there, if the ocean was fishing good. Was the bar closed that day? It also could of been economics lot less diesil to fish B10.
Driften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #80
got hooked
Tuna!

So has anyone seen the Stardust fishing since the bridge incident?
got hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #81
Fishing Dude
Chromer

Quote:
I was not there but don't you think he was in the wrong trying to bring in something that large into such a tightly fished area ??
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #82
Doozy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony keg View Post
What's sad... is to think he could have killed people. Knowing darn well HIS BOAT CAN'T MANEUVER IN TIGHT SPOTS. You said it yourself. He never should have been there in the first place. Yes we all have accidents, but he chose to put himself in that situation and didn't need to. B10 is a huge fishery.
Doozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #83
Swifty27
Tuna!

Video is up on Facebook. Hopefully the link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=697894106893494
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #84
badfish66
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
This incident is considered a Marine Casualty. It is an allision with a bridge. Yes, they are required to report it to the USCG. 46 CFR 4.05-1.
Ding ding....we have a winner. A boat cannot collide with a bridge, it's impossible unless the bridge is underway, so it's an allision. If the bridge was damaged by a fiberglass boat then it was probably unsafe to begin with but, yes, it has to be reported or the Captain could find himself in a world of trouble.
badfish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #85
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Wow, that video was crazy.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #86
RoughRider
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty27 View Post
Video is up on Facebook. Hopefully the link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=697894106893494

"Reel up reel up reel up some one is going to die!"

I know it's not funny and people could have actually died, but I couldn't help but laugh a little.

That was pretty intense.
RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #87
IDWITHELD
Sturgeon

Props to the video boat captain to tell his guys to reel it in. Way to be prepared and think ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
"Reel up reel up reel up some one is going to die!"

I know it's not funny and people could have actually died, but I couldn't help but laugh a little.

That was pretty intense.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #88
Ruckus
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDWITHELD View Post
Props to the video boat captain to tell his guys to reel it in. Way to be prepared and think ahead.
+1

Compare Mr. Johnson's reaction; he wanted to pull up to save lives. Kudo's Mr. Johnson

To these guys: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...05#post4825105

that laughed with glee.

I say the former is a hero, the later are a bunch of goats.

Last edited by Ruckus; 08-25-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #89
RoughRider
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
+1

Compare Mr. Johnson's reaction; he wanted to pull up to save lives. Kudo's Mr. Johnson

To these guys: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...05#post4825105

that laughed with glee.

I say the former is a hero, the later are a bunch of goats.
We have a mandate as boaters to help others in distress, and he was getting ready to fufill that mandate. He set an example of how it's done, though thankfully no one was in need of emergency assistance (apparently).
RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #90
pony keg
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
We have a mandate as boaters to help others in distress, and he was getting ready to fufill that mandate. He set an example of how it's done, though thankfully no one was in need of emergency assistance (apparently).
That video should be a training video for new boaters of what to do in an emergency, the video captain was ready to act immediately, i think i even heard him start the main in the background. nice job capt!

Glad no one was hurt.

i witnessed something like this last year on the mouth of the siletz. We were fishing the jaws at tide change, waves were huge, they were breaking at the sandbar with popcorn all the way to 101. My self and another boat jogged swells until the flood subsided, at this point we teamed up to fish the ebb, watching each other in case it got bad and we need to head in.
there were guys fishing the bank, waves were breaking all the way to the woods by moes. One poor guy walked down all the way to the water, we tried to warn him, he did not listen, then.....a massive wave broke on the beach, he was gone, all we could see was a stump he was by, floating with water washing to the trees, at this point we were doing the some thing, main engine on, look, look, look, finally we saw his body, he was alive, clinging to the sand like a cat not wanting to go in the bathtub, all the water receded, he stood up, walked out, ( he was lucky to be alive).

hopefully people can learn from this video, that water was ripping, it would not take long to get sucked under. could of been much worse. thankfully everyone was ok!
pony keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #91
joe_camo
Tuna!

Every B-10 season I see at least one guide boat stranded on the sand across the channel for the West Mooring basin in Astoria - yet no one has ever called these guides some of the names or made any of the suggestions some have on this thread. They made a mistake and this guy made a mistake - nothing to laugh about.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #92
askeyb
Fry

Seen this YouTube video posted that isn't too bad. Pretty good quality video.

Everyone makes mistakes. We did see several charter boats out there Monday to Wednesday when we were out but never had any problems with them or anyone else.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #93
askeyb
Fry

My wife did get irritated at a few people that cut in front of us and we had no where to go. That is normal activity at B10. Also the idiots that cut right between you and another boat when there is wide open water by you. I also had a guy tell us while fishing above the Astoria Bridge on the Washington side a guy cut through them cutting off their fish and another boat that had a hooked fish due to the guy running over their lines. It is really a shame that there are so many people with no common sense. Every where you go and anything you do you have to deal with no common sense people.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #94
choppers
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by askeyb View Post
My wife did get irritated at a few people that cut in front of us and we had no where to go. That is normal activity at B10. Also the idiots that cut right between you and another boat when there is wide open water by you. I also had a guy tell us while fishing above the Astoria Bridge on the Washington side a guy cut through them cutting off their fish and another boat that had a hooked fish due to the guy running over their lines. It is really a shame that there are so many people with no common sense. Every where you go and anything you do you have to deal with no common sense people.
Saw the same thing Saturday wish i had my camera handy. It sure will be next trip.
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #95
pharmseller
King Salmon

I'm glad no one was hurt.

That being said,

"The Bank fleet pass good seamanship in silence; but a bungler is jeered all along the line."

Kipling, Captains Courageous, 1899

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #96
Soulakala
Tuna!

Quote:
To confirm you last sentence just check out the video post on this site at the bridge with a guy playing a fish and his buddy with the net all the while the motor is in gear and nearly hitting two other boats. What makes this funny is the one doing the video taping is yelling at the boat about to be hit saying get out of the way can't you see he has fish on! lol

Yesterday morning I watched a big guide boat launch in the dark at Chinook and the nut kept the boat in gear while he walks up to the bow of the boat. With no one at the helm his boat tee bones another aluminum boat on the opposite float. These are some of the skippers taking folks on fishing trips, the get out of my way fisherman.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #97
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #98
SeaSparrow
Tuna!

http://www.frequency.com/video/credi...40/-/5-1503210
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #99
oregonboybend
Steelhead

Though I would commend the skipper for choosing the bridge over a small boat . the sm boats did not or could not hem him in, he would of had to driven him self into the situation of being hemmed in by not looking far enough ahead to see the lane closing up on him, and or expecting that people would move out of his way. if past post are correct seveal claim that he has a penchant for bullying his way thru.. glad that no one was hurt.
oregonboybend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #100
Charmer
Fry

Exclamation Re: Charter Boat Hits Astoria Bridge

I have been the captain who had the accidents deckhand for 3 years. We were seperated about a month and a half ago. John is an awesome captain and a genuinely great guy. Shame on those of you who would slam him. Like you all have never screwed up or possibly made a bad decision. Lucky for you all there just was'nt 100 people around with phone camera's or camcorders to catch you . John use to run one of portlands stern wheelers. He ran one of Astorias ferrys before the bridge. He operated the Sea Venture for the last dozen years till its sale in the start of June. And the list goes on.I have nothing but complete confidence in this captains ability and judgement. So that said just keep fishing and ramping your baby boats and leave the big boats to the professionals. Your opinion does have value, but only to yourself, which is where you should probably keep it. Thank you, Charmer Rick Kulackoski (Deckhand Pacific Salmon Chaters)
Charmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #101
Team Rip
Steelhead

Rick,

The captains ability is not in question, but his judgement certainly was. He made a bad desicion. Hopefully, he learned from it.