325 wsm - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
bigdawgwill44
Steelhead

Default 325 wsm

Does anybody here shoot a 325 WSM? I'm looking at buying one and was curious about performance and thoughts in general. I reload so am not worried about factory ammo availability, even though there is plenty online. Thanks!

bigdawgwill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Extrapale
Steelhead

I have one. I bought it this last winter. I think it it pretty versatile. My only concern is the lack of .323 premium bullets. Mine shoots 200 grain Barnes well. I am going to work up a 200 grain Accubond load this summer.
Hunter and anglers actively support wildlife conservation through tangible actions such as buying licenses and paying taxes on hunting, fishing and shooting equipment. Why? Because people place added value on — and are willing to pay for — what they can use.
Extrapale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
fisherman983
Steelhead

Default Re: 325 wsm

I have one, works well for me. the rifle has only taken 1 deer but performed flawlessly. I don't reload for that specific rifle because it likes factory 180's
fisherman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
jaredhatfield06
Steelhead

I have one, killed 5 elk with it and 3 bucks. All 8 dropped in their tracks. Great gun
jaredhatfield06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Probably the best of the short mags. The smartest thing they could have done was bump it up to .338 for better bullet selection and more handloader friendly.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Blacktail53
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Probably the best of the short mags. The smartest thing they could have done was bump it up to .338 for better bullet selection and more handloader friendly.
That was looked at and rejected.
Apparently the longer bullets didn't work well in the magazines/case space and mid weight and lighter bullet ogive ( the shank to point curvature ) wasn't compatible either - the curvature was inside the case mouth.

Sounds screwy, I know. But those are the arguments given by the manufactures and a related article that they ran.

You may be able to find something on Google.

Personally, I think the .325 is a great round and there's plenty of bullets available for reloaders.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
oneshotdon
Steelhead

I have one and absolutely love it! I used to shoot Winchester Supreme 200 gr. accubonds and they performed quite well. A couple years ago Cabelas had a sale on The Nosler Custom ammunition. Buy 2 boxes at $50.00 each and get one box free. I was paying $63.00 a box for the Winchesters so decided to give the Noslers a try. I like them even better than the Winchesters. BTW, the Noslers are 200 gr. accubond as well. I have never had an issue with availability.
oneshotdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
SquarePeg
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawgwill44 View Post
Does anybody here shoot a 325 WSM? I'm looking at buying one and was curious about performance and thoughts in general. I reload so am not worried about factory ammo availability, even though there is plenty online. Thanks!
It was on my list but Kimber doesn't list it in the Montana now so .. "never mind." Buddy of mine had one, spent a lot of time and money working up loads for long range, shot two elk, one in Colorado, one in NE Oregon one year, then had it rebarreled to 7mm WSM. Not the stupidest thing he ever did but definitely on the short list.

Probably the best of the WSMs.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail53 View Post
That was looked at and rejected.
Apparently the longer bullets didn't work well in the magazines/case space and mid weight and lighter bullet ogive ( the shank to point curvature ) wasn't compatible either - the curvature was inside the case mouth.

Sounds screwy, I know. But those are the arguments given by the manufactures and a related article that they ran.

You may be able to find something on Google.

Personally, I think the .325 is a great round and there's plenty of bullets available for reloaders.
The .338WSM was never an option because the wildcat design Winchester "borrowed" to make the WSMs was a 338. Lawsuits were filed, it ended up in court, money was paid out and deals were struck. The 338WSM will never be commercially made. I shoot a 300WSM and I believe the lack of bullet selection severely handicaps the 325WSM for versatility. The difference in ballistic performance will not be noticed by you or the elk.

If I wanted to step up from a 300WSM, or just wanted to have a unique gun, I'd have a WSM necked up to .338.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
pharmseller
King Salmon

There's a .338-06 on the classifieds.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
DogZilla15
King Salmon

There is a .338-'06 in my safe. Do I need another???
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

Wonder why the 338-06 seem's to be popular but the 8mm-06 pretty much died? The biggest difference in them is the availability of bullet weight's. And here come the 325 WSM. What does it offer over the 8mm Rem Mag?

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Don: Nothing......
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

I always have thought that a Browning BAR short trac in 325WSM would make a great deep timber elk and bear rifle with a stout 200-220 grain slug. It's much lighter in weight than the .338 mag.
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
There is a .338-'06 in my safe.
Mine is the gun I'm most likely to be carrying for deer, elk or moose.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
2Rotten
Ifish Nate

I have used an 8MM Remington Magnum for 20-years, it has been very effective on elk and bear. If I was to purchase a larger game rifle now I would definitely go for the 325 WSM instead:
  1. Similar velocity with less recoil and muzzle blast
  2. A short action, handier rifle
  3. Good inherent accuracy
With a 325 WSM it might be worth considering something like a 165-grain Barnes TTSX at 3200 fps. There seems to be a growing body of evidence that these all-copper bullets do a pretty devastating job on tough game at high velocity. Follow the link below for a discussion of TSX bullets on African plains game.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=176495.0
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

The only reason I can see that any of these new short cartridge's being developed was to get hunter's to buy new rifle's. Every one of them offer'sw nothing over several other cartridges we already have; there are no holes much of any where! These new short magnums are seemingly claimed to have some magic power that existing cartridge's don't have. They have to or the companies couldn't sell them!

A 225gr bullet weight's 225 gr no matter how big around it is. The smaller cal has a better BC and SD than a larger cal but generally, the larger cal can go to a heavier bullet than the smaller cal. The larger cal can also fire the same bullet some what faster than the smaller cal with equal case capacities.

The only advantage I could see that the 325 would have over say the 338 Win is possibility of shooting a 225 gr bullet faster than the 300 with a 220gr bullet and the 338 Win leaves the 325 behind when it goes up to 250gr bullet's.

Other than you just want a new rifle that's different than any other you have, what qualities does it possess that other cartridge's may not? There is only one reason for the existence of the 325 WSM, to sell rifles. real world disadvantages over existing cartridge's? None!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
elkmagic35

New calibers, call for new rifles. We really do not need any of the WSM calibers, but hat a great excuse to buy a new rifle !!!!
elkmagic35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
RSnellstrom
Coho

I have a .325 wsm in the browning A bolt Micro Hunter and love the gun.
The wsm was made so you have a magnum in a short action rifle= less weight.
I shoot the Winchester factory 200 grn accubond and get 3/4" groups if I am shooting good that day. I have killed several elk,a wolf in AK and a Mtn goat with it.
Great gun in my opinion.
Rick
RSnellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
millsymojo
Tuna!

While I understand the sentiment expressed by some that the WSM and other "new" cartridges were created simply to sell rifles, I also know from personal experience that there can be advantages that are often overlooked by those who turn it into a ballistics only conversation.

It is my opinion (highlight that word), that the 325 WSM holds a couple useful advantages over the traditionals in the 8MM/338 WM range. It is lighter which makes it easier to carry in the mountains. It is also compact which makes it easier to wield in tight spaces. This makes it quite versatile in function for the crowd that intends to use it with those advantages in mind.

I have used a 325 WSM extensively in Alaska. It is the only firearm that I own that is "larger" than a 30-06. I valued the fact that I could carry it in the mountains when hunting sheep, mountain goat, or caribou and yet be in position to "use enough gun" when a grizzly made my life more interesting. It also worked well on the tight coastal streams when hunting browns as a primary species. Certainly you could find any number of firearms that could handle either of those demands but few that could handle both of those scenarios any better than the 325 WSM.

In Oregon terms I could envision a person enjoying the cartridge as a big timber, jump shooting elk gun, and then turning around and toting it in the Snake River drainages as a lighter, flatter shooting open country elk rifle.

My input is not intended to put down other existing cartridges, but to possibly offer an unconsidered perspective on the value of the 325 WSM. America has never embraced the 8MM, and I am not sure the 325 WSM will ever be mainstream. But it does have purpose, and most of those that I know that have one like it. The fact that you reload is helpful because most of the complaints that I have heard from owners is the limited availability of factory ammunition.
At the end of your life . . . "you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain???
millsymojo is offline   Reply With Quote