Wenaha - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
bullbuster346
Coho

Default Wenaha

My dad drew the Wenaha archery big bull hunt and was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on this hunt. Places to go and look for elk? Looking to find that monster bull everyone else is looking for 350 class. Thanks for any info and good luck to all the other hunters,
Stephen

bullbuster346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
smock1123
Steelhead

Default Re: Wenaha

No offence but if you have been saving points for 16-17 years for this unit wouldn't you already no exactly where you will be focusing your attention. Not that tough of a unit. If I had the tag I would go deer hunting the first week then head over to hunt the last two weeks. I'm not talking about you but it just seems like over the years I see a lot of these posts about people who spent a lot of time saving points for this unit and are at a loss when they draw it. If you really need help send me a pm and I can point you to a couple good areas, expesialy with the logging going on this year.
smock1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
motcha
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smock1123 View Post
No offence but if you have been saving points for 16-17 years for this unit wouldn't you already no exactly where you will be focusing your attention. Not that tough of a unit. If I had the tag I would go deer hunting the first week then head over to hunt the last two weeks. I'm not talking about you but it just seems like over the years I see a lot of these posts about people who spent a lot of time saving points for this unit and are at a loss when they draw it. If you really need help send me a pm and I can point you to a couple good areas, expesialy with the logging going on this year.
Archery? Rifle?
When told the reason for daylight savings time... the Old Indian said... "Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom... and have a longer blanket."
motcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullbuster346 View Post
My dad drew the Wenaha archery big bull hunt and was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on this hunt. Places to go and look for elk? Looking to find that monster bull everyone else is looking for 350 class. Thanks for any info and good luck to all the other hunters,
Stephen

I'm curious to know what makes you think that a few words typed on an internet site would help you find the monster bull you are looking for? I'm really being honest here. What specifically are you looking to get here?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
mckenziehunterj
Chromer

Use the search tool. There is plenty to look through in regards to Weneha.
mckenziehunterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
smock1123
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by motcha View Post
Archery? Rifle?
Archery, never been there between October and February,
smock1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
woodrow
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowlin101 View Post
I'm curious to know what makes you think that a few words typed on an internet site would help you find the monster bull you are looking for? I'm really being honest here. What specifically are you looking to get here?

Everyone seems to get bashed for asking for help......ITS CALLED NETWORKING!! and its part of the scouting process. Its no different than picking up the phone and calling a district biologist in that area and asking for advice or asking a buddy that may have had the tag a few years ago. This guy may already have 200 hours of scouting the unit....we don't know. But to ask for advice and do some networking is OK. Information is a huge key to success in anything we do...if this guy can pick up one or two little tips about an area that may help with the success of the hunt then by all means ask!!

Networking does not take the place of leg work and time on the ground. Its just one tool / piece of the puzzle!!
woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
whtelk
Tuna!

If I had ever drawn the tag I would tell you every thing I know... Mount Emily is the same (been there, done it). This is a once in a lifetime for most of us, why not help? not like you would ever draw it any way.
whtelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
blueduck
Ifish Nate

No offense, but everyone in the hunting world here in Oregon recognizes the persistence, committment, and good fortune it takes to draw this tag unless you just get lucky. Generally people have all their eggs in one basket for about two decades trying to draw it. If somebody gets a little short with you about information that's probably because they have taken this seriously enough to have invested some time familiarizing themselves with the area, scouting, researching, and networking for many years before they go. Nobody doesn't want you to have a good hunt. It's just that you need to get in the game and that isn't drawing the tag and then asking everyone to help because you have no idea what you've even gotten yourself in to. Treat your good fortune with a little respect. Get over there. Don't look for short cuts. Spend some time. It's pretty self-explanatory. Talk with some folks. Not everybody is going to give up a lot, but you'll get enough to get a good start. People are funny about this one......people take this tag seriously enough to drool. Give it everything you got and you'll have a lot of people trying to help if they see you helping yourself.

Last edited by blueduck; 06-18-2013 at 05:49 PM.
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
philbo
Cutthroat

I had the Tag last year best hunt I have ever been on. call me I will help you out. can't wait for some of these guys to draw the tag I will do my best not to help them.best of luck on the hunt .
philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
traks44
Ifish Nate

Lots of good maps of the units out there. Invest in a few tanks of fuel, a good pair of hiking boots, practice alot if your bow hunting and then when the season roles around take enough time to really hunt it. If you really invest your time into hunting it you will have a great hunt. Hunting spots are like fishing holes, I prefer to make my own secret spots if ya know what I mean.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
bullbuster346
Coho

Quote:
I didnt know people would have such a problem with asking a simple question on a unit. We have put time in over there but just havent came up with what we are looking for. Wasnt sure if maybe they have been inpacked by the couple packs of wolves in the unit or what. Im sorry if i sounded like i was asking for someone to hand me over a 350 class bull for my dad was not my intent.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
bullbuster346
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbo View Post
I had the Tag last year best hunt I have ever been on. call me I will help you out. can't wait for some of these guys to draw the tag I will do my best not to help them.best of luck on the hunt .
Just wanted to thank you for the post. Its people like you we need more of. Willing to help out another hunter. I hope you were lucky enough to harvest a nice bull. Thanks again talk to you soon.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
bullbuster346
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
No offense, but everyone in the hunting world here in Oregon recognizes the persistence, committment, and good fortune it takes to draw this tag unless you just get lucky. Generally people have all their eggs in one basket for about two decades trying to draw it. If somebody gets a little short with you about information that's probably because they have taken this seriously enough to have invested some time familiarizing themselves with the area, scouting, researching, and networking for many years before they go. Nobody doesn't want you to have a good hunt. It's just that you need to get in the game and that isn't drawing the tag and then asking everyone to help because you have no idea what you've even gotten yourself in to. Treat your good fortune with a little respect. Get over there. Don't look for short cuts. Spend some time. It's pretty self-explanatory. Talk with some folks. Not everybody is going to give up a lot, but you'll get enough to get a good start. People are funny about this one......people take this tag seriously enough to drool. Give it everything you got and you'll have a lot of people trying to help if they see you helping yourself.
Im pretty sure thats what i was doing NETWORKING when i posted my post. We have spent time over there and research just figured we drew, i would ask around on the net or networking. Hunting isnt something my family takes litely.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
bullbuster346
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowlin101 View Post
Look i dont know people have to get so mad, jelouse whatever it may be towards others but guess the world is the way it is. I was asking to see if any of last years tag holders chatted on here and would be willing to chat about places the saw bulls during there time. My dad has always put others before him and has helped my lil brother and i get bulls, bucks and cougars by calling for us. So i was just trying to do what i can to see him get a big bull. Ya know what ever happen to if you didnt have something nice to say just dont say anything at all. Just being honest.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

My info would be a little old as I drew it when the hunt first started 25 or so years ago. If I remember right I had about 12 points back then. I had been puting in for the hardest hunts to draw in the state and building points for that hunt before it was even thought of.
It still is one of my most enjoyable hunts.

He'll have a great hunt & I look forward to hearing of others hunting experiences on that hunt every year.
Good luck to your dad. I hope you get to share the hunt with him.
stlhdrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
outlaw
Cutthroat

durning the bow hunt the elk will be all over. its not to hard to find them. look for large road closed areas. but the are all over near the road between troy and palmer juntion as well. i have found cow calling works the best there. i use a bugle to locate them then only cow.call when Im close or go in silent. there are so many bigger bulls if you bugle there to much they ofter feel intmidated and take the heard and move away. the satalite bulls will come to you but getting to the heard bull is usually what you want. they bugle more twords the end of the hunt typically. but every year is a little different.
there is a lot of cover but you stragie is basicly to cover a lot of ground. locate a herd and try to get a look a the heard bull. hard to do there some times cause there are so many satalite bulls around the heard that will blow your cover. thats why i often sneek ahead of the heard and try to let them feed by. sorry for the rude comments by others. always glad to meet other sportsmen.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Haslebacher
Chromer

Quote:
Look i dont know people have to get so mad, jelouse whatever it may be towards others but guess the world is the way it is. I was asking to see if any of last years tag holders chatted on here and would be willing to chat about places the saw bulls during there time. My dad has always put others before him and has helped my lil brother and i get bulls, bucks and cougars by calling for us. So i was just trying to do what i can to see him get a big bull. Ya know what ever happen to if you didnt have something nice to say just dont say anything at all. Just being honest.
I appreciate the where you are coming from. I hope you have a great hunt and the advice you get helps you out a little. I personally have no experience with the Weneha Unit, not much I can do for you.

I see that you've been a member now for about a month. Let me ask you, in that time have you taken the time to skim through some of the other threads and offer any help on something you might know something about? Honest question? It seems all 5 of your post are on this thread. I think what some of the guys are trying to get across is there is a reason it's, "give and take," not "take then give."
Haslebacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
Haslebacher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
durning the bow hunt the elk will be all over. its not to hard to find them. look for large road closed areas. but the are all over near the road between troy and palmer juntion as well. i have found cow calling works the best there. i use a bugle to locate them then only cow.call when Im close or go in silent. there are so many bigger bulls if you bugle there to much they ofter feel intmidated and take the heard and move away. the satalite bulls will come to you but getting to the heard bull is usually what you want. they bugle more twords the end of the hunt typically. but every year is a little different.
there is a lot of cover but you stragie is basicly to cover a lot of ground. locate a herd and try to get a look a the heard bull. hard to do there some times cause there are so many satalite bulls around the heard that will blow your cover. thats why i often sneek ahead of the heard and try to let them feed by. sorry for the rude comments by others. always glad to meet other sportsmen.

Great post and help. Wouldn't expect anything less from a Dallas man.
Haslebacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
Roosevelt7x7
Tuna!

Quote:
Is your Dad's name Doug?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
motcha
Ifish Nate

Heckvwith all the negative fools in here... I will gladly help with dome info. PM sent
When told the reason for daylight savings time... the Old Indian said... "Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom... and have a longer blanket."
motcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
in 'em

I put in for my Emily rifle, never been there, probably won't before I draw the tag, but once I do I'll be prepared come opening day. Not sure why so many people get so protective, it's not as if you tell a guy a good area and he's just gonna go waltz in and kill a 350 bull lol! It's gonna take some skill regardless. Just have fun, i'd help if I knew anything...and share the hunt with us when you return!!
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by motcha View Post
Heckvwith all the negative fools in here... I will gladly help with dome info. PM sent
you are always offering help
Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
blueduck
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Im pretty sure thats what i was doing NETWORKING when i posted my post. We have spent time over there and research just figured we drew, i would ask around on the net or networking. Hunting isnt something my family takes litely.
Sorry, Guess I came across wrong.

Didn't mean to give you some condescending advice. More power to you. Have a great hunt. I guess I was just one of the folks that jump to conclusions about folks that draw exclusive tags and jump on here for information like someone is going to provide coordinates to some sprangle-horned behemoth. Sorry. After you get done with your hunt some of what I said might make sense. I'm older so sometimes I think I need to give advice.....I don't......it's none of my business.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #25
Roosevelt7x7
Tuna!

Quote:
Stephen
Stephen,

Sometimes it's a tough crowd on here, for obvious reasons. People coming on here and wanting free info on units or hunts, that they've put no effort in researching themselves.....being lazy in other words. This couldn't be farther from the truth with your Dad. He is one of the best hunters, in all categories, but elk especially, that I know. A little background on your dad and you boys would of eased the responses on here. The time and effort your Dad invested in you boys, taking you dog hunting, and making the video "Kids calling coyotes". The countless number of elk he has called in for you and your brother, and every other relative of his. Always putting someone else out front, sometimes never filling his tag, but helping everybody else fill theirs. Your Dad is one amazing elk hunter.

I believe you guys have made some scouting trips over there the last couple years, in anticipation of him drawing?

I think if the people here knew how he has single handedly put a huge dent in the cougar population the last couple years, calling in HUGE cats for you, your brother and himself, they might have a different opinion on who they are helping out here. When your Dad takes something on, it's 100%. How many cats have you guys nailed over the last couple years?

Hopefully this helps out a little. If anybody deserves a little help from the hunters on here....it's your Dad IMO. He's a good man, a man of few words, but of man of action. There are a lot of good hunters on this site, and I see a few have pm'd you. Hopefully a few more will.

Tell your Dad congrats on the draw, and I hope he gets the big one he's been hoping for.

Chris
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #26
The Deer
Chromer

Quote:
Sorry, Guess I came across wrong.

Didn't mean to give you some condescending advice. More power to you. Have a great hunt. I guess I was just one of the folks that jump to conclusions about folks that draw exclusive tags and jump on here for information like someone is going to provide coordinates to some sprangle-horned behemoth. Sorry. After you get done with your hunt some of what I said might make sense. I'm older so sometimes I think I need to give advice.....I don't......it's none of my business.

I live near the unit now and plan on learning it a lot more. I have been planning this hunt for 16 years and have been there a few times preparing for the hunt and when I draw I hope that I can ask a few people on here but it will be most likely through PM's. I will share my hunt though because I am part of this community I really hope the starter of this thread shares it is what keeps me motivated to keep putting in for the unit. Motcha; that is very kind of you to share info with people you are a stand up guy and when the time comes I hope you will give me a few pointers.

Last edited by The Deer; 06-21-2013 at 09:30 AM.
The Deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
StevenB
Halibut

I don't have experience in the unit during archery season but have your dad guard his health and no risky activities are advised.

Last year I broke my collarbone two months two months before my rifle hunt in Wenaha. A lot of sholder pain. The year before had walking pneumonia the day my White River Deer hunt started. It could have been worse if I'd put in for an archery hunt in Wenaha or if I hadn't received treatment at urgent care.

How about posting a thread detailing how your dad lined up a few lion kills?

StevenB
Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

A lot of jealous people on here already. If you don't want to help the guy then don't post anything. He didn't ask for sarcasm or being flamed. He asked for any help for his Father.
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
bullbuster346
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt7x7 View Post
Stephen,

Sometimes it's a tough crowd on here, for obvious reasons. People coming on here and wanting free info on units or hunts, that they've put no effort in researching themselves.....being lazy in other words. This couldn't be farther from the truth with your Dad. He is one of the best hunters, in all categories, but elk especially, that I know. A little background on your dad and you boys would of eased the responses on here. The time and effort your Dad invested in you boys, taking you dog hunting, and making the video "Kids calling coyotes". The countless number of elk he has called in for you and your brother, and every other relative of his. Always putting someone else out front, sometimes never filling his tag, but helping everybody else fill theirs. Your Dad is one amazing elk hunter.

I believe you guys have made some scouting trips over there the last couple years, in anticipation of him drawing?

I think if the people here knew how he has single handedly put a huge dent in the cougar population the last couple years, calling in HUGE cats for you, your brother and himself, they might have a different opinion on who they are helping out here. When your Dad takes something on, it's 100%. How many cats have you guys nailed over the last couple years?

Hopefully this helps out a little. If anybody deserves a little help from the hunters on here....it's your Dad IMO. He's a good man, a man of few words, but of man of action. There are a lot of good hunters on this site, and I see a few have pm'd you. Hopefully a few more will.

Tell your Dad congrats on the draw, and I hope he gets the big one he's been hoping for.

Chris
Thanks for the kind things about my dad Chris means alot. Just dont want to be all braggy about him. I know how good he is at all he does. I think he a has the cougar call'n down. We have gotten 4 cats this year, between dad, me and lil bro. Got 1 in Dec.2012.But has called in prolly 10 this year. Again dads always looking for that monster saving his last tag for a big one. He's a one of a kind guy/hunter/dad. I couldnt tell you how many he's called in sense he took the kitty cat hunting on.. Alot though. I think cougar tags should be sold until quota is met so you are not limited to only 2 tags. Isnt a quota the goal of harvest.. If that was the case dad would be in heaven.. It's one hell of a rush have the master of hunters(the cougar) hunting YOU..
No i get were the guys are coming from just people should jump on yea when they dont know anything about you for 1 and 2 just asking a question. I get it hunting areas are secrete trust me we all hold things back from others in fear. I have enjoyed meeting and talking to the guys i have met and am greatful for any/all the help.
Thanks again Chris.

Last edited by bullbuster346; 06-21-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
blackdog
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Thanks for the kind things about my dad Chris means alot. Just dont want to be all braggy about him. I know how good he is at all he does. I think he a has the cougar call'n down. We have gotten 4 cats this year, between dad, me and lil bro. Got 1 in Dec.2012.But has called in prolly 10 this year. Again dads always looking for that monster saving his last tag for a big one. He's a one of a kind guy/hunter/dad. I couldnt tell you how many he's called in sense he took the kitty cat hunting on.. Alot though. I think cougar tags should be sold until quota is met so you are not limited to only 2 tags. Isnt a quota the goal of harvest.. If that was the case dad would be in heaven.. It's one hell of a rush have the master of hunters(the cougar) hunting YOU..
No i get were the guys are coming from just people should jump on yea when they dont know anything about you for 1 and 2 just asking a question. I get it hunting areas are secrete trust me we all hold things back from others in fear. I have enjoyed meeting and talking to the guys i have met and am greatful for any/all the help.
Thanks again Chris.
Where does the line start to go cougar hunting with your dad??
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #31
Blacktail Slayer
Sturgeon

PM sent.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #32
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Thanks again Chris.
that's pretty awesome he sounds like a talent, i'm sure you guys are going to have a great hunt in the wenaha, hope you guys can film a little, a once in a life time hunt will be pretty special to watch again.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
Hawk Wing
Steelhead

I drawed that tag back some years ago. I got letters from outfitters who wanted to get in on the deal. wick
I hunted with my Uncle who I have been following around the woods since i can remember.
I would encourage you to spend some time in Jarbow and also Cougar Canyons. get down in and lots of tag alder and thick but that is where I got busted by cows when I had a huge bull getting bad after a tag alder and got busted by the cows.
You might want to enlist a packer to get you and your bull out of the hole.
Lots of cougars and bears. Also I missed gimmee shot at 8 point whitetail buck. Prawby would have got him if I had my my recurve but miss pinned with a compound bow.

Good luck and I encourage you to to share your adventure on this sight.
Hawk Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #34
Roosevelt7x7
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
Where does the line start to go cougar hunting with your dad??
Right behind me!....I wish I could go and film for you guys Stephen....but I've got plans for a big EO bull myself.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #35
Hookset
Sturgeon

Quote:
If you really need help send me a pm and I can point you to a couple good areas, especially with the logging going on this year.
How much logging is taking place in Wenaha this year? Hopefully, they're not doing whole sale clear cuts like years past.

Chris,

First, welcome to IFish. It appears you received a rather cold introduction to the boards. If you've previously spent any time reading IFish, then you know we're a community, where people share and help each other with information, knowledge and support. Some of the replies eluded to the community spirit by asking you to share your knowledge and experiences with the people you are now asking for information. In other words, join in when and where you can and become part of our community. When people see that your genuine and willing to share and help others, then it's easier for members to share with you.

My hope is that you'll join us and become a regular contributor.

Now, about Wenaha. First, that unit has got some serious problems. Number one issue, is calf mortality. The elk herds in Wenaha have been on a steady decline for a numbers of years. If calf to cow ratios don't reverse itself and climb above 30 calves to 100 cows, at a minimum, I'm concerned that the future of this hunt becomes very questionable.

Most people may not know this......the Wenaha unit, because of it's remote location and ideal cover and terrain, has one of the largest concentrations of predators in the state. Cougar and bear numbers have always been high. The unit used to be a favorite location for hunting predators with hounds. Now, add in the wolves, makes it even tougher on the deer and elk.

From what I've read, the Wenaha unit could use your Dad's expertise up there to help thin out the cougar population.

In it's heyday, Wenaha used to have 5000 elk roaming the unit. Now, the population has dropped to under 1800 elk. And from what I've witnessed, deer numbers must have dropped by an equal amount.

As for bull elk hunting, with very few cows, bulls are fighting to keep a single cow for themselves. And if you see a herd, it's typically made up of 6 or less cows and two bulls of equal size and several satellite bulls, at least until the serious breeding starts. Using cow calls almost exclusively should see results.

As for locations, with limited hunting for over 20 years, elk have become scattered across the unit and are quite accessible near roads. You don't have to hunt the wilderness to have a great hunt. If you search IFish, there are even one or two photos of bulls taken in or near old clear cuts.

That's about all I'd like to offer over the open forums, but fell free to PM me.

Good luck with the preparation!
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #36
Joe Schmo
Tuna!

From what I can gather you are one seriously bad to da bone huntin family. Anyone who whacks and stacks cougs has got their man card for sure so it sounds like your pops will not be taking this OIL tag lightly. Apparently you have spent a good amount of time in this unit before and scouted in previous years in anticipation of drawing the tag? If that is in fact the case then you are already ahead of many hunters!! Also I think we all know that even if somebody gave you gps coordinates to a 370 bull it still wouldn't be a slam dunk, it's archery!!
I guess I just want to give you encouragement and say it sounds like you probably didn't need iFish at all because your family (and especially your dad) is old school and actually does research with the boot leather!! That being said go get em!!
PS: It's not out of the realm of possibilities that I will hear something about a monster bull in that unit and if'n I do I will let you know.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #37
Joe Schmo
Tuna!

I guess all I can say is to put trailcameras with salt licks out now!! You'll get good pictures until about August and then the big bulls will stop coming in, they will still be in the area but they just won't case about salt anymore.
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #38
Summitdad
Coho

Quote:
Thank you!
Summitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #39
bullbuster346
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitdad View Post
Thank you!
Ya know its so nice being one here meeting new people and also being able to help other people when you know something about other peoples post. But when you are jumping on post to be negative towards people looking for help thats just wronge. I have seen this on other post people being negative. Like i have said before If you dont have something nice to say then dont say anything at all. If you actually read what some people have posted about my dad/us you would relieze we have made trips over there put our time in. Just remember someday you will be asking for help or question on something. Good luck happy hunting.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #40
langararocks
Super Moderator

Folks, I know some of you struggle with trying to stay on topic. If you can't make a relative post then I suggest you move on and post on a topic that you feel you can contribute to. Posts have been removed.

We were all new members at one time.
langararocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #41
Oregon-Jet
Tuna!

You will find Elk everyday and you will find a book Bull with a little boot work.
Go over a couple of weeks before season and look around.
PM me after you have visited the unit I will help out.
Oregon-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #42
bullbuster346
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon-Jet View Post
You will find Elk everyday and you will find a book Bull with a little boot work.
Go over a couple of weeks before season and look around.
PM me after you have visited the unit I will help out.
Ok will do. We have 4 trips planned pre season. We have looked around over there in the past during season and another time coyote hunting iend july. Thanks will let ya know what we come up with. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #43
DAB
King Salmon

When you didn't have to draw tags I hunted Wenaha all the time with a bunch of guys. We hunted the Mirrow meadow, J-meadow, and Pop's meadow area and did quite well during rifle season and which is all north east of Jubilee lake.
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #44
bullbuster346
Coho

Thanks again for the info everyone. Talk to a bio yesterdaay and he had alot of bad news about calf servival and all the cougars problems in the unit. Numbers are way down. Told him sounds like some people need to be hunting cats more. So we plan on taking our gear, hopefully we can help the unit out by taking out afew. But wouldnt suprise me if they are blaming the cat and the bigger problem is the wolves.. He also said they have the highest density of bears in the state. Told he sounds like something needed to be done asap.Happy trails to all.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #45
bullbuster346
Coho

Thanks for all the info on the wenaha unit. We are taking off tomorrow and going to scout for 5 days. Hope to be able to post someting about the unit when we get back. Thanks again and happy hunting.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
elkaddict
Steelhead

living in the west i have nothing to lose if i dont draw cuz i get a general coast rifle tag. baisically i can afford to wait

reel young guns
elkaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #47
Ben Lilly
Chromer

Quote:
Thanks again for the info everyone. Talk to a bio yesterdaay and he had alot of bad news about calf servival and all the cougars problems in the unit. Numbers are way down. Told him sounds like some people need to be hunting cats more. So we plan on taking our gear, hopefully we can help the unit out by taking out afew. But wouldnt suprise me if they are blaming the cat and the bigger problem is the wolves.. He also said they have the highest density of bears in the state. Told he sounds like something needed to be done asap.Happy trails to all.
Yeah alot of people like to blame the lions and they do there fair share don't get me wrong but the bears have a much higher population and they eat a lot of calves a day during the calving season so I believe they are hurting the population worse than cougars could ever do.
Ben Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #48
bullbuster346
Coho

Just thought i would give everyone alil update on the scouting trip in the wenaha. So far have seen afew bucks, afew bulls no monsters yet. Killed 2 rattlers lil bro had a close call, good thing for his fast feet and the S&W Govner. Hearing afew wolves.. So all and all its been a ok trip. Just a update.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #49
B.J. Lilly Hunter
Steelhead

Nice. Thanks for the updates. I like following threads throughout the summer and season.
B.J. Lilly Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #50
bullbuster346
Coho

Well scouting trip is over. Turned out to be a ok trip saw 9 bulls, 5 bucks, 1 bear, 2 cougars, 1 pack of wolves. Put a camera out around a cowboys salt lick just to see what was in the area planning on moving it before we headed home and somebody sprayed something up inside it destroying a $200.00 camera. Thats why the trip was just ok. Just dont understand people. Seems to be more and more of the unsportsman like people out there every year. So we are going back in 3 weeks so hope to have some pics to post and a update. Happy hunting.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #51
Blacktail Slayer
Sturgeon

Sorry about your Tcam but thanks for the update.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #52
Big Hairy Dawg
Chromer

Rooting for you and your dad to kill a monster and I would, like others, want to hear more on how to call cats. I hunt some private ground near Pendleton and suspect a cat on one of the ranches.
Good luck and welcome to the community.

Steve
Big Hairy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #53
Buglmn
Tuna!

Great thread Bullbuster. It's gonna be fun watching this hunt play out. keep posting, and hope your dad kills the bull he deserves.
Buglmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #54
chukar62
Cutthroat

It is pretty interesting some of the negative comments. I drew a couple of years ago because a friend told me I should checkout ifish I posted and drew even a more negative response for some the exact same people! I think some people just need to give it a rest! Interesting how people judge without knowing our background.

A couple of important questions: How good of shape is your dad in? Do you have horses? How many days do you have to hunt?

Shoot me a PM if you like and I will can point you in the right direction. However, for all the rhetoric this really is like hunting in Disneyland once the Bulls start talking. A very, very, special place

Good luck to your dad and kudo's to you for hunting with him
chukar62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #55
TrailBlazer
Ifish Nate

Sucks bout the trail cam.....in an unit like Wenaha I really dont know why someone would consider it their "spot"....silly beyond words....

And did you have a chance on the cats or are you guys tagged out on them??
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #56
Oregon-Jet
Tuna!

Dont always assume its the Hunter doing these things.
There are alot of eco-terrorist hiking in the Walla Walla and Wenaha. They don't want you hunting or fishing in those areas.
I have had my share of run-ins with them over the years.
Oregon-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #57
bullbuster346
Coho

Anyone know of any good pack mules forsale? My horse has never pack wild game. Looking for a good 1. Dont want a problem child to deal with.
Not updates. Going back in 2 weeks.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #58
orarcher
Tuna!

Good luck and best wishes to your dad !! I don't have any info or I would tell ya for sure.

Put me on the list of guys on here who would love to here ALLOT more on the calling cats !!!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
I am not mad. I am not jealous.

Re-read your original post. Then re-read mine.

Last edited by waterfowlin101; 07-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.
waterfowlin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #60
William H Bonney
Steelhead

Brian shot a small bull over there two years back,,, you might ask him what NOT to do....
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote