Last minute Siletz River stop - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
The Likes
Moderator
 
The Likes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Salmon Creek Wa
Posts: 1,365
Default Last minute Siletz River stop

My son and I are headed down to Depot Bay tonight. I figured we could turn up HWY 229 and fish on the Siletz for the evening. Joshua saved up his birthday money and bought a new Okuma SST 9'6" 6-12 lbs spinning rod. We have never even seen the Siletz River before but he wants to wet his line on his new pole for the first time. Can anyone PM me or text me a decent spot to bank fish for a couple of hours?

Thanks,
Chris
971-275-6917



__________________
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
The Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Native Fisher
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,288
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

always here moonshine park, and the gorge mentioned as good spots....
__________________
N.F.S= No Fish Society
Native Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
The Likes
Moderator
 
The Likes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Salmon Creek Wa
Posts: 1,365
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Fisher View Post
always here moonshine park, and the gorge mentioned as good spots....
Thanks, I was able to find Moonshine Park, any idea where the gorge is located? I'm not familiar with the nick names there.
__________________
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
The Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Fishen Fool
Tuna!
 
Fishen Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

Any where above Moonshine is considered the gorge.
__________________
Quote "nobody knows everything since I'm nobody, I must know everything," right? fishen fool
Fishen Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
The Likes
Moderator
 
The Likes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Salmon Creek Wa
Posts: 1,365
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishen Fool View Post
Any where above Moonshine is considered the gorge.
Thanks, does anyone know of a place that is a bit closer to the turn off from Hwy 101? It's going to take me maybe two hours to get to the turn off then Moonshine is another hour or so according to google maps.

Packing now then heading out Thanks for the help.
__________________
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
The Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!
 
uplandsandpiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Posts: 1,832
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

I would shoot for lower in the river. Two of us fished Moonshine and the Gorge from 3 miles up all the way down Thursday/Friday. It is an absolutely beautiful place to fish and you can see the bottom in a lot of of the steelhead water. We only saw one fish the whole time and caught a lot of smolts/trout but no steelhead.
__________________
There is nothing more damaging to a man's adventurous spirit than a secure future.
uplandsandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
PerfectRiverLevels
Tuna!
 
PerfectRiverLevels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Eugene
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Likes View Post
Thanks, does anyone know of a place that is a bit closer to the turn off from Hwy 101? It's going to take me maybe two hours to get to the turn off then Moonshine is another hour or so according to google maps.

Packing now then heading out Thanks for the help.
The tide water ends just below Morgan park...... and there is very little public access. Moonshine has the longest stretch of bank access anywhere on the river.
PerfectRiverLevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
salty dog
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 302
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

I second the idea of Moonshine Park. In addition to a lot of room for bank fishing there is also camping and picnic tables plus very easy river access.
salty dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
The Likes
Moderator
 
The Likes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Salmon Creek Wa
Posts: 1,365
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

We did in fact go to Moonshine Park, thank you for the suggestions. The boy got a couple of bites and we broke in the new rod with a couple of slips on the slimy rocks, over exuberant hook sets, stabbed it into the ground, as well as ramming it into.. a rock, a pine tree, black berries, some leafy trees, sand bank, rocky bank, muddy bank, his fathers back, his fathers front, his fathers head. I'm sure I am missing a couple of things but it was a nice park and a nice stretch of water. We just need to focus on the fact that he is jousting around with a 9'6" rod now instead of 6'6".
__________________
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
The Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
"blue shark"
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

Way to go getting the kid out on the water!
"blue shark" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
PerfectRiverLevels
Tuna!
 
PerfectRiverLevels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Eugene
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Likes View Post
We did in fact go to Moonshine Park, thank you for the suggestions. The boy got a couple of bites and we broke in the new rod with a couple of slips on the slimy rocks, over exuberant hook sets, stabbed it into the ground, as well as ramming it into.. a rock, a pine tree, black berries, some leafy trees, sand bank, rocky bank, muddy bank, his fathers back, his fathers front, his fathers head. I'm sure I am missing a couple of things but it was a nice park and a nice stretch of water. We just need to focus on the fact that he is jousting around with a 9'6" rod now instead of 6'6".
Take a lesson from the fly fishing guys, care the rod through the bush handle first.
PerfectRiverLevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
The Likes
Moderator
 
The Likes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Salmon Creek Wa
Posts: 1,365
Default Re: Last minute Siletz River stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectRiverLevels View Post
Take a lesson from the fly fishing guys, care the rod through the bush handle first.
With his new almost 10' rod I learn real quick to not get within shouting distance. So it's hard to remind his from that far away.
__________________
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
The Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
PerfectRiverLevels
Tuna!
 
PerfectRiverLevels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Eugene
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Likes View Post
With his new almost 10' rod I learn real quick to not get within shouting distance. So it's hard to remind his from that far away.
Wishing you luck that he never takes up the Spey rod.
PerfectRiverLevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.33193 seconds with 36 queries