How much boat can I pull with a Chevy S10? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
german dude
Steelhead

Default How much boat can I pull with a Chevy S10?

Hi guys and gals

I am an avid bank fisherman but everytime a boat passes by my heart starts pounding. I would like to own a boat, big enough to cruise arround Hagg Lake or take it out on the Willamette. I'm not even thinking about taking it out on the Big C or any big rivers. I've never owned a boat before so big rivers or the Ocean scare the daylights out of me. So what do you think? How much boat can I pull with my 97 Chevy S10 two wheel drive? I would like to have a boat with a canopee to be protected from the elements. Watching guys going up and down the river in an open sled doesn't look like alot of fun. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!!!

--- Vinnie

german dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
tjr_84
Steelhead

Default Re: How much boat can I pull with a Chevy S10?

V6 or 4 cylinder motor in your truck?
tjr_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
german dude
Steelhead

Sorry......its a 4 cylinder
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Bankbound
Tuna!

Small enough you could put it in the bed is what you should be carting around with a base model s10. The good news is your getting a new truck
Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Dale Gocken
Steelhead

For years I drove Kia Sorento. Pretty light car. Pretty steep ramps with no problems. My boat was 15 ft smokercraft, top,winshield, side curtains,25hp Yamaha 4 stroke.But I had 4 wheel drive.I would think you would be OK with something like that. Just be careful on slick ramps.your s-10 should be OK
Dale Gocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
german dude
Steelhead

Haha that's funny...I figured the most I can pull is a red rubber boat or a canoe ....well...maybe in my next life I will own a REAL boat
Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
german dude
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Gocken View Post
For years I drove Kia Sorento. Pretty light car. Pretty steep ramps with no problems. My boat was 15 ft smokercraft, top,winshield, side curtains,25hp Yamaha 4 stroke.But I had 4 wheel drive.I would think you would be OK with something like that. Just be careful on slick ramps.your s-10 should be OK
Finally some encouraging news......Thanks Dale!!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Knot Chaos
Chromer

I used to have a 1985 Chevy S-10 blazer with the 2.8L V6 110 hp and it would haul the 16' Alumaweld driftboat with piles of gear and coolers all over the state. It was slow going up the hill at Mt. Hood and out of Warm Springs, but it did fine everywhere else.

Keep Calm and Chive On
Knot Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Quiet Riot

A stock Toyota tundra pulled the space shuttle, how much does your boat weigh?

Sorry, I hate that stupid commercial. A drift boat or Alaskan style boat should be no problem. Make sure your brakes and cooling system are in top working order as they will be your weak points (clutch/tranny also should be in good order.)
Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Wreckless
King Salmon

I pulled an 18' flattie for a short time with my S-10 4 cyl. Blazer I didn't go anywhere in a hurry and stopping it was an "adventure". A 15' Klamath, Lowe, Gregor or other great boat would be a breeze!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
skeetshtr
Tuna!

You S-10 should pull a small boat just fine. Brakes, tires and cooling system should all be in good shape . Hold it a 1/2 ton or less and you should be fine . If it is a bumper mounted hitch make sure the bumper is tight and in good condition. It will stop a lot slower on downgrades unless the trailer has brakes so drive with a bit of caution till you get use to it. I use to tow a 16 ft aluminum bass boat all over the state with a 4cyl Nissan and never had a problem. 3rd gear over every pass but always got there.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
acefishon
Chromer

Well this post is funny ,Here's what you can pull a rubber inner tub in bed one beer cooler????
acefishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
native steelie
Ifish Nate

doesnt it have tow ratings on the plate inside the driver side door seal? i would guestimate around 1500-2000lbs. you might have issues with 20%+ gradiants.

yup just googled it, max tow capacity is 2000 lbs. she sure will be squatting with that much, thats for sure. im sure any 20ft or less aluminum or drift boat will be just fine.

i tow a 15ft aristocrat with my ford ranger 4.0 with no issues, except coming up cow canyon on 97 and coming out of maupin, kinda slow.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
chef serg
Sturgeon

Get a 14-15 foot smokercraft Alaskan with a 15 or 25 horse outboard and you will be set for lake fishing, Willy/big C, tributaries, bay fishing/crabbing, tidewater boat, etc etc.

Very versatile and won't break the bank to buy or gas up.
Plus your truck would have no problems towing it unless you find a steep ramp or ice covered one.

Good luck on the boat ownership.
It can be very fun and $ efficient to run a small boat
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

and.... how much boat can you STOP with an S10.

700 # maybe
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
Splash
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef serg View Post
Get a 14-15 foot smokercraft Alaskan with a 15 or 25 horse outboard and you will be set for lake fishing, Willy/big C, tributaries, bay fishing/crabbing, tidewater boat, etc etc.
Ditto that.

Don't load the boat up with gear because you will need to keep it light for towing/stopping.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
acefishon
Chromer

It's one thing pulling it there but pulling it out of the water on the ramp hole different thing.Theres just not enough horse power or truck weight to get back up most ramps.Wouldn't take long before burning a clutch out and before breaks wear out and e break gives.I know this because friend of mind did this same thing with just light weight 14 alum lake boat.

Had put new breaks and e brake after few monlths and less than six I think the clutch burnt up .I know this post was just for fun but we have all seen trucks and cars that should never be towing boats.I seen a late model Cadillac converible pulling 20 ft ski boat had take pic.
acefishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #18
german dude
Steelhead

Thank you all for your input. Sounds like I need to get a bigger truck before I get a boat. Now...how do I explain that to the wife. Thanks again and tight lines.
---Vinnie
Old 06-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
Sturgeon_Seeker
Steelhead

Hills would be a pain with a 4 cyl but none the less it should be fine if you get a light boat. I would recommend a 14-16ft aluminum boat since they are light. I have a 16' alumacraft Jon boat with a 25hp I fish everywhere with. It's easier to handle then my Alumaweld when I fish alone a lot. If you pick your weather you can boat almost anywhere in it. So far this year it's been shrimping and ling cod fishing in the sound, salmon and sturgeon fishing on the big C. I've had days where I see the weather and decide I better do some projects. I check the weather religiously when I plan on going out.
Sturgeon_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
pstutheit
Steelhead

If your tow rating really is #2000 (check on that) you will be fine with a 15' smokercraft type boat with a small 2 stroke on the back. I towed mine with an old Honda Odyssey minivan (not 4wd) for years and never had any problem. Might want to throw a transmission cooler on for good measure. Go slower than normal, give yourself plenty of stopping room and you'll be totally fine.
pstutheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #21
Seon
Super Moderator

My nephew has an S10 mid/late 80's, pulls an 18' fiberglass deck boat with his wife, two late teens sons as passengers. I don't know the weight of the boat nor if it's a 4 or 6 cyl.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
BerettaMan
Tuna!

Quote:

Plus your truck would have no problems towing it unless you find a steep ramp or ice covered one.

X2 My thoughts also, Smokercraft split seat 15' with 9.9 to 20 hp. I have caught lots of fish in those boats, will also work fine in the Columbia ( I am not including anything near the estuary) on good days. If you haul this thing everyday you will soon need a transmission but that just the cost of doing business.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
plumb2fish
Chromer

I have an old Ranger 4 cyl. That has no problem towing my 16' Koffler w/ 8 hp. kicker and a bed full of camping gear....3rd gear over passes, down shift instead of brakes when possible and you will be fine....been 10 yrs, same clutch, brakes changed once....
plumb2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
bugs84
Chromer

The issue is not how much you can pull, it's how much you can STOP! Overload the brake system and you will be sorry. I've driven heavy haul trucks all my life. Believe me when I say it's ALL about the brakes!
bugs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Threeweight
Chromer

For an affordable first boat that your rig can handle towing, I'd look for a 15' or so Smokercraft, Gregor, Klamath, etc... aluminum boat w/ a tiller outboard, or a 14' Livingston fiberglass boat. On the trailer, they should all weigh well under 2000 pounds.

The windshield boats with a canopy are prob heavier than you want to tow with your rig.

Last edited by Threeweight; 06-13-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
ccw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeweight View Post
For an affordable first boat that your rig can handle towing, I'd look for a 15' or so Smokercraft, Gregor, Klamath, etc... aluminum boat w/ a tiller outboard, or a 14' Livingston fiberglass boat. On the trailer, they should all weigh well under 2000 pounds.

The windshield boats with a canopy are prob heavier than you want to tow with your rig.
Yes. These boats kill lots of fish inexpensively around the mouths of every tributary where it empties into the Columbia River. Safely too if you pay attention.

Or go heavier and damage your truck sooner or worse, someone else's.

Or, sell your truck while it runs and upgrade to a V-8 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton and have more boating options. You won't catch more fish but you can carry and fish three or four safely. CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #27
native steelie
Ifish Nate

right, a lot of ramps get fairly slippery, i have never felt safe loading/unloading a boat with a 2wd vehicle, what happens when you back in and you you lose traction? it's nice to have those 2 dry tires in the front with traction.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
tdouglas1641
Steelhead

I have a 99 s 10 2wd that i use as my commuter. I just read the bumper today and it says 350lb tongue weight trailer weight 3500lb max. It tows a driftboat with ease. A bigger boat will slow you down uphill and create problems launching. If you have a good launch, flat ground, and a level towing setup, keep it under 3500 and use common sense...
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #29
PharmDoc
Tuna!

Keep in mind that the rating on the hitch itself is just for the hitch. It has nothing to do with what the vehicle is capable of. A vehicle's tow rating is based on a number of factors including many of the things already mentioned such as the engine's torque output, hp, gear ratios, cooling ability; in addition to the vehicles braking, chassis, whether the hitch is factory installed vs home job, and so on.
If attempting to tow with a vehicle not truly designed or rated for towing a boat, it might be wise to consider installing a brake system on the trailer for safety. Without looking at specs, I would think a chevy blazer is capable of towing a small-medium sized lake boat or drift boat fairly well.
I towed my 16 ft drift boat and 14 ft gregor lake boat all over the state in my old toyota camry for years as a student. It was a manual tranny, so downshifting was easy. I did have to replace 1 clutch in 175K miles, but never the tranny. Got to love Toyota durability. This was a 4-cyl camry!

"The Rodfather" TJ OB OS
Member Siuslaw Watershed Council
PharmDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #30
builder
Tuna!

You should be able to pull a lighter rivited aluminum boat 16' or less just fine. I used to do it all the time with Toyota 4cyls before I got a bigger truck and bigger boat.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #31
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

My dads s10 pulls and stops a 16' fiber form just fine. The only issues he had was the old ramp at south beach, he would have to put it in four wheel because the ramp was slick.
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by german dude View Post
Now...how do I explain that to the wife.
---Vinnie
Honey, I just bought you a new truck...

RiverJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #33
flywrapper
Chromer

My S10 (4 cyl) has been towing my 16' riveted Polar Craft with a 30 hp 4 stroke just fine for 5 - 6 years. No issues with clutch.
flywrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #34
Zach Smith
Steelhead

Not sure if you are Oregon or Washington but the question should be how much weight can my vehicle stop? From the State of Washington "
Trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less must
be equipped with brakes if the weight of the trailer(s) exceeds 40 percent of the weight of the towing vehicle."
Found this out from the state patrol when towing a 17 Alumalweld FV with a Toyota SR5 V6.
Zach Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #35
SilverFish19
Cutthroat

Years ago I watched as guy in a Chevy S-10 tried to pull his boat out at Willamette Park. The boat pulled his truck into the water, skidding all the way. The truck was too light for his boat so he had no traction.
SilverFish19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
ampersat
King Salmon

I had a 16' Smokercraft Pro Alaskan that I almost kinda wish I still had. Light, cheap to run and handled heavy water on the Columbia pretty well. I had the opportunity to get it on a scale once and I believe it tipped in around 1200 pounds. Just about any riveted boat should be easily handled by your truck. A 15' Alaskan would be ideal for you, in my opinion. The 93 17' Alumaweld requires at least a stout v6 if not a v8 to tow competently, but it sure is a lot more comfortable.

The only place I've ever had to bump the truck into 4x4 was a ramp that tends to build up sand and gravel. I probably could dig my way through it with 2wd but if I already have the 4x4 and it's easier, I'm going to do that.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
german dude
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Smith View Post
Not sure if you are Oregon or Washington but the question should be how much weight can my vehicle stop? From the State of Washington "
Trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less must
be equipped with brakes if the weight of the trailer(s) exceeds 40 percent of the weight of the towing vehicle."
Found this out from the state patrol when towing a 17 Alumalweld FV with a Toyota SR5 V6.
I'm in Oregon
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
fishpun
Steelhead

You would be fine with a lighter 16' or 17' glass boat as well, under most conditions. Steep, slick ramps and mountains can be avoided, if need be.
fishpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #39
german dude
Steelhead

Thank you all fellow iFishers for your advise, recomendations and safety concerns. At this point I lean towards " Don't even try"....I wish I could try to pull someones boat up the Ramp in dry summer weather like conditions just to get a feeling Thank you all......
------Vinnie
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #40
ampersat
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by german dude View Post
Thank you all fellow iFishers for your advise, recomendations and safety concerns. At this point I lean towards " Don't even try"....I wish I could try to pull someones boat up the Ramp in dry summer weather like conditions just to get a feeling Thank you all......
------Vinnie
"Don't even try?" Seriously?

I see irresponsible boat owners doing all kinds of crazy stuff at the boat ramps all the time. If you pay attention to what you're doing, you'll be fine. I'm sure there are plenty of ifishers who would be more than happy to go out with you to show you the ropes and how to do things safely.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #41
taco270
Steelhead

About 2k, and avoid hills
taco270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #42
DAB
King Salmon

I am pulling a 16 foot riveted boat WEIGHS 1350 pounds (boat and trailer) with my 2011 Ford Ranger PU. But I do have a 4L motor and disck bakes on all four wheels plus it is a 4X4.
I have also pulled a 16 Foot Smoker Craft sled with an old 3L Bronco II never had a problem with it.

If you do not have a limited slip rear end or 4 wheel drive it may cause you some grief.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #43
ccw
King Salmon

It bears worth repeating for all those who didn't read the start of the thread: he has a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine, about as weak a truck as can be imagined and significantly less than a v-6. CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #44
CRD4Liberty
Chromer

Back in the 80s I bought a bayrunner 15 with a 15 hp yamaha longshaft on a Calkins trailer, weighed less than 600 lbs so I didn't need to licen.ce or register trailer

Last edited by CRD4Liberty; 06-20-2013 at 03:57 PM.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #45
Mooch
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Bouncer View Post
and.... how much boat can you STOP with an S10.

700 # maybe
Nonsense
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #46
Trout&Steelhead
Steelhead

My 94 toyota 4 cyl. pulls a 17 ft. drift boat around no problem. I do have 4wd. I think the truck has about 110hp.
Trout&Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #47
Mooch
Tuna!

My '89 Nissan 2wd pulled a 15' Smokercraft Alaskan all over the NW. My Nissan had a 2.4 liter engine that made 106hp.

The 2.2 liter in his S10 makes 122hp. I'd have zero issues towing a 15-16' aluminum boat with a 4cyl S10.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #48
Hawg-line-
Chromer

Cracked
Head
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil
Leaks
Engine
Ticks

Wouldn't chance towing anything...
Hawg-line- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #49
gunfreak40
Cutthroat

Any truck I've had listed all payload info on a sticker inside the glove box.
gunfreak40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #50
Rykat
Steelhead

And change the oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles if you pull a boat a lot. The load will have an impact on the wear of your engine . . . over time. So keep up the scheduled maintenance and you'll be good on all the suggestions everyone has made.

I have a powerful truck for my boat, but I still like to give the engine a chance to warm up before I leave the driveway or head down to the ramp again. Let it all warm up (oil/fluids) before you put it under load. That will help keep it on the road without problems.
Rykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #51
fishkicker
Chromer

Quote:

He is absolutely right with his advise...
fishkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #52
Bearcat88
Steelhead

I pulled my 14' smokercraft for 18 years with a Toyota 4 cylinder pickup. Zero issues. If the ramp you use a lot gives you wheel spin issues, have your buddy sit in the bed of the truck. I only found one fairly unimproved ramp that I had to do that on. And I love fishing out of that boat. 6 gallons lasts a summer, and you can trailer it by yourself.

Last edited by Bearcat88; 07-22-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Bearcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #53
rainorsnow1
Chromer

I fished a 14' smokercraft for years. My girlfriends 4-runner pulled it no problem. (You could definitely tell it was there though)
I loved it despite its lack of space. You could get that boat into anywhere. I fished the willy, big c, baker bay(actually every bay north of siletz minus a couple), a bunch of central Oregon lakes(if you've been on them you know how bad the wind waves are) and countless small hidden coastal lakes that my boat currently would never be able to even launch in and its only two feet bigger.

I'm not proud of it, but it was my first boat and I put that thing through hell! It took every beating I could give it! Even for a riveted boat you really can't compare the quality vs the price of one of them. Great little boat...

I would recommend something more like a 25hp outboard. My 18hp tohatsu was fine. But in the wind it was a rough wet ride back
rainorsnow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #54
german dude
Steelhead

Thank you to all fellow Ifishers for your advise and safefy concerns. I really appreciate all your replies concerning my original post. I have not come to a conclusion yet but since I can not afford a bigger Truck I will take your advise and look around for an Alaskan Smokercraft. Man...I wish someone would give me a chance to pull one of thoze up the boat ramp to see how it goes. Never seen a Chevy S10 2WD pulling a boat out of the water and I have been around alot of boat ramps :-(