My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
draperd1
Steelhead

Default My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

Well, I got my new cataraft setup a few weeks back. I am currently on loaner tubes but mine will be 14' black with orange accented tubes.

I did a lot of asking around and got quotes from a lot of the biggest companies in the business. Many of them said "you can't do that on 14' tubes," or "I am not following what you mean by that." I went with CANYON WHITEWATER INFLATABLES out of North Bend, OR near Coos Bay. They are a younger company but have a lot of experience in the field of frame fabrication.

First getting into the boat you recognize that it is by far the most thoughtful design you have ever seen on a raft. Nothing interfers with anything else. The welds are amazingly clean and the workmanship is second to none. I had a laundry list of wants for this boat as I have had drift boats in the past and have done quite a bit of white water rafting growing up. I wanted this thing to be everything I ever wanted in a fishing/rafting vessel and this was it for me. It is unbelievably stable. The first trip I took 3 other guys, the total weight, if we were all naked without waders or jackets on was about 900 pounds. It performed beautifully, don't get me wrong it rowed heavy, but it floated very well with that much load. I wanted the ability to fish 2 up front and one in the rear, however, the majority of the time I will fish one up front and one in the back which is ideal. Unlike a drift boat, where it is very important to keep the weight balanced, this boat is incredibally stable regardless of where the fisherman are leaning, standing or fighiting the fish.

So, here is the list of wants and what you will see in the pictures below:
-Lean bar up front (removeable and swivels out of the way)
-125 Yeti for two fisherman up front with removable back rest
-The fish box is a dry box that is also where my feet are when I am rowing
-Anchor system
-Dry box under oarsmen's low back seat.
-Third row high back seating. IT IS CLUTCH. All my buddies love fishing out of her and there is plenty of room.
-Rod Storage will run across the top of the tubes (that is getting delivered soon)
-I went with 9'-6" Sawyer square tops and will never buy anything else again.
-Solid aluminum plated floor. This is a necessity for fighting fish and having the lexury of firm footing.
-Diamond plated step sides for easy in and out.
-Tackle trays up front for convenience.
-As with all of Canyon's stuff, all drybox's latch into place. If I turn this over in a big roller, the only thing falling out is the people in the boat.
-And I added a few cup holders that you will see on the back of the back rest for now.

So here are some pics of her. I will post more when I get my tubes and last lil touches.

It did take a little longer than quoted to get me the finished product but I couldn't be happier with the product.

You won't find a better frame fabricator. James and Canyon will bend over backward to please you with the product.

If you want their number or a peak at their site, here they are. Feel free to PM me with any questions on the product. Tell them Derrick Draper sent you there way.

SEE YOU ON THE RIVER!!!

*It looks like they have pictures of my frame on their site now in their photo album.

Last edited by Seon; 09-06-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: NSL removed
draperd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
BgTmFsHeR77
Tuna!

U make me lust
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
steveo_steelhead
Coho

Default Re: My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

Very nice. How does the cooler secure to the frame?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
draperd1
Steelhead

Default Re: My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

The tolerences he built it to actually hug the cooler very snug but you can also take a two foot strap and go through the Yeti designed strap down handle to further secure it to the frame. It is slicker than a dog fart.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Deanrt
Sturgeon

Man, that is sweet
Semper Fi, Team ACME, #5724
Deanrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
blueduck
Ifish Nate

I am jealous. I am curious about which tubes you selected, but I am going to guess Sotar. I live in Hillsboro. Is there any way I could take a look at the finished product? Of course, without being nosey I am curious about cost too. It looks like they did a hell of a job.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
shawn k
Chromer

That is a nice looking setup. What are the floors made of? Can they be removed for running class 3 plus rapids.
shawn k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
oregondukhntr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn k View Post
That is a nice looking setup. What are the floors made of? Can they be removed for running class 3 plus rapids.
No doubt that's a sweet setup, but with that front bench in his face I don't think I'd run anything big enough that I thought the floors needed to come out.
oregondukhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
shawn k
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondukhntr View Post
No doubt that's a sweet setup, but with that front bench in his face I don't think I'd run anything big enough that I thought the floors needed to come out.

The Bench comes out near as I can tell.
shawn k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
coastalchrome
Cutthroat

It looks like from the one photo you can take that backrest off and run without it also,nice feature. I have seen hard floor fishing cats run Rainey Falls in the winter no problem, that front area is turned up nice and not a flat floor like most.
coastalchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalchrome View Post
It looks like from the one photo you can take that backrest off and run without it also,nice feature. I have seen hard floor fishing cats run Rainey Falls in the winter no problem, that front area is turned up nice and not a flat floor like most.

The back rest is removeable. The floor is what they called Volcanized Aluminum which is welded in to the frame so there is no removing it. The front does have a turn up. I wouldn't hesitate to fun big water with this boat even with the solid floor..Maybe I'm nuts.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
I am jealous. I am curious about which tubes you selected, but I am going to guess Sotar. I live in Hillsboro. Is there any way I could take a look at the finished product? Of course, without being nosey I am curious about cost too. It looks like they did a hell of a job.
The tubes are Canyon Tubes. The are a very high quality similar to Sotar. Feel free to PM me. You are more than welcome to stop by some time to see em.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
draperd1
Steelhead

The tube diameter is 24" btw.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
JDarr

Stay outta there!!!

JD
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
gpt
Ifish Nate

nice looking job on the build. is the frame aluminum or steel?? given the diameter, i would guess aluminum.

you might think a bit about that solid floor and class 3/4 water. virtually all cats running that sort of water have 'porous' floors, either webbing or heavy gauge netting to allow the water in and out. might want to chat with your builder about putting some big holes in that floor as heavy water is going to lift your boat and it could become unstable.
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
coastalchrome
Cutthroat

You should definitely hit your builder up for a trip, those boys will show you exactly what that boat can do. They have a couple Whitewater catboat rockstars that work at that company. Pretty safe bet that boat has been run through the gnar, they fish where most don't raft. That's what sold me on my 10'6 , they run the product.

I am working up my skills still before I go mingle on the river with them! I have been mostly on the Duc and the Coquille. I was at the Red barn up towards powers one day and their crew was taking out from a run from powers city through the canyon. It looked nasty in there from the road when I drove up to jacks to have lunch.

I don't know how many actually run all the way from powers down.
coastalchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
oregondukhntr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by draperd1 View Post
The back rest is removeable. The floor is what they called Volcanized Aluminum which is welded in to the frame so there is no removing it. The front does have a turn up. I wouldn't hesitate to fun big water with this boat even with the solid floor..Maybe I'm nuts.
Good deal...I didn't see the pins when looking at it on my phone. I wouldn't sweat the floors, I've ran plenty of class 3/4 with my floors in. Some people claim floors will make your boat more prone to flipping from the hydrolics. From my experience the only real benefit of no floor is being able to climb up through the middle when your boats upside down.
oregondukhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
PM me. You're more than welcome to stop by.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
i like fish
Steelhead

Simply perfection canyon frames are perfect
i like fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
UncleTom
Fry

I was so glad to stumble across this thread. I have had a custom 12.6 fishing frame on order with Canyon for going on 5 months. James did tell me right up front that it would take at least 4 months due to their back log of orders. He still responds to email and will answer the phone, so I guess that I will just have to be a little more patient. Waiting on a new toy is so difficult!

This is my first cataraft, and I really did my homework before making the decision to go with Canyon. Being able to really customize to my likes was a big decision point. I have fished in the Outcast 1200 several times but it is a little rough around the edges for my likes. The fit and finish on the Canyon product is what sold me. There website does a real good job of showing the design and construction.
UncleTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
ShutUp&Fish
Steelhead

Very nice!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Wow! Very nice! That rig is ready for some serious adventure
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
PerfectRiverLevels
Tuna!

How much??
PerfectRiverLevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
NWDiscer
Chromer

Very nice rig.
NWDiscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
i like fish
Steelhead

I ordered the same frame but I will have 16ft tubes !

If you have wanna plan a trip this winter I'd love to plan one

Sandy clack or??

This company is awesome and explain so many details about the boat they build

I highly recommend them !!
i like fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
draperd1
Steelhead

How are those of you who worked with Canyon liking your boats?????
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Fishing-Fool
Steelhead

Awesome raft but may want to rethink the colors thinking green and yellow would be more fishy!
Fishing-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
rock bottom
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarr View Post
Stay outta there!!!

JD
Yeah how was the pucker factor in that last pic?

Sweet set up btw.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
farmguy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectRiverLevels View Post
How much??
X2 Give it up.
farmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
NorCalSalmonSlayer
Steelhead

Wow, the way I looked at your raft just made my drift boat jealous haha. Very sweet.
NorCalSalmonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #31
Pacifictimes
Coho

Default Bottom of the food chain: Rivendell

I just bought this "Used" 8' Rivendell Wave. Really excited to set it up to chase some steelhead and would really love to partner up with any of you that might be willing to take me under their wings and show me the ropes.
I live in Vancouver, Wa. am willing to go North or South to run some rivers.
Dave
Pacifictimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Ed Fast
Tuna!

Nice ad!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #33
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
Divin-Demon.

James sent me a photo of my finished raft last week. It looks like the custom job that I ordered, but I don't have a clue how old the photo actually is. As of today, the boat is supposed to be on a freight truck headed my way, but I haven't received a tracking notice....go figure! Anyway, I will let you know when/if I actually get the raft.
I received my raft today via UPS Freight and spent most of the afternoon unpacking and rigging. There was no shipping damage, and other than a set of seat bolts, everything was with the order. The fabrication appears to be top notch, and the fit and finish are exceptional. My oars/oar locks are coming under a separate shipment, and then I will be ready for water trials.

I really have mixed feelings about Canyon as I am happy to receive my order, but it took so very, very long to get it done. They build an outstanding product, but I just hope that they really improve their customer service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1352.jpg (77.1 KB, 1356 views)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #34
DAB
King Salmon

A whole lot of common sense went into that frame.

Excellent frame.
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #35
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
A whole lot of common sense went into that frame.

Excellent frame.
Thanks for the compliment. I fish narrow creeks and rivers in Southeast Texas as well as occasionally in the Texas Hill Country. Very little technical water to contend with, just lots of logs, rocks, etc. to dodge around. I had the frame narrowed from 36" to 30" in order to accommodate my particular needs. Still plenty of foot space and cargo area.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #36
gpt
Ifish Nate

wow, sorry all you folks have had so much trouble. I know a couple of small business men who do custom work for a living. they are perpetually 6-8 months behind schedule and never seem to catch up to the demand. it is frustrating to say the least when you are anxious about getting a quality product and then out fishing. my current custom made ALMAR boat took 300 days from the time I placed the order until it was delivered. perhaps the difference here is they told me it was going to be a long time coming.

I had a cat frame custom made in Portland by Tim Smith. I have do idea if he is still in business but a nice custom designer with a real itch for impossible white water adventure. I also had a narrow frame built as the rivers I frequent for fishing are pretty small and rocky.

all the best to you folks, the frustration levels are not easy to deal with.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #37
roost4u
Tuna!

I really like the frame of the original poster. The only thing I would change is to make the front backrest adjustable height with those pin thingys. That way you could lower it down for bigger water if you were afraid of busting your face open.

I'd also get rid of the grab handles on the back seat and make it a swivel seat so you could position yourself better while sitting to fight a fish.
roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost4u View Post
I really like the frame of the original poster. The only thing I would change is to make the front backrest adjustable height with those pin thingys. That way you could lower it down for bigger water if you were afraid of busting your face open.

I'd also get rid of the grab handles on the back seat and make it a swivel seat so you could position yourself better while sitting to fight a fish.

Sitting to fight a fish?

Who does that?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #39
UncleTom
Fry

01.12.2015:

I am back again to update this post in case some unwary soul is trying to buy something from Canyon.

I received my raft with new pontoons but they were cheap loaners to use while they supposedly were going to build my custom toons. Several emails, voice mail, and texts have been sent over the last 3 months and no response. I guess James has just written me off. Anyway, I am having too much fun in retirement to worry about a cheapskate. Unfortunate lesson that I have learned, but I will just suck up the $1500 loss and go on with life.

Moral of this story....Canyon builds a great raft but don't believe a thing that James tells you. Go COD on everything, and you won't be in for surprises.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #40
wastortuga
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
01.12.2015:

I am back again to update this post in case some unwary soul is trying to buy something from Canyon.

I received my raft with new pontoons but they were cheap loaners to use while they supposedly were going to build my custom toons. Several emails, voice mail, and texts have been sent over the last 3 months and no response. I guess James has just written me off. Anyway, I am having too much fun in retirement to worry about a cheapskate. Unfortunate lesson that I have learned, but I will just suck up the $1500 loss and go on with life.

Moral of this story....Canyon builds a great raft but don't believe a thing that James tells you. Go COD on everything, and you won't be in for surprises.
I would not let him off the hook. Not seeking legal action will keep him doing the same to others. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Seems to be par for the course for Canyon. Really nice looking Cats but.....
wastortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #41
roost4u
Tuna!

Maybe it would be worth it to have a face to face conversation. Road trip?
roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #42
mcyork28
Cutthroat

Send him a link to this thread.
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #43
mikey_b
Steelhead

You could've bought a welder and made that yourself. JK, nice frame I like the color.
mikey_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #44
coastaldrifter
Fry

I have bought 2 fishing catarafts from them now. My first one it took 7 months to get as the waiting list was long. My second one the boat was finished but not the tubes. I was told there was a fabric delay for their tube manufacturing. They were good enough to provide me with brand new Maxxon loaners until the fabric situation is figured out so I could fish and use my second boat. They said when they received the fabric they would exchange my tubes. I don't have a problem with that and thought it was good service. It has been a while now but you won't find a better quality fishing cat. I was also given the opportunity to have urethane tubes built in 3 weeks for a up charge, I have personally picked up my boats there and the operation is quite impressive. I will wait for the standard tubes on mine, if you are in a hurry I am sure you could upgrade to urethane and have them in weeks. They are quite a bit more expensive. Keep in mind they are usually booked up to a year out, I just wasn't in a big hurry I had my drift boat as well.
coastaldrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #45
IamRy
Cutthroat

Well here I go. I have a order for a 10' Westfork that I started in Late November. James Said Mid Jan. to Feb. I sent an Email and was told they are in production now. So we'll see how it goes. I did give a 50% deposit.

When I originally talked to him he told me a little about his production problems and that he was going to steer away from "custom" builds and more toward production line assembly of current boats.
IamRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #46
Divin-Demon
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRy View Post
Well here I go. I have a order for a 10' Westfork that I started in Late November. James Said Mid Jan. to Feb. I sent an Email and was told they are in production now. So we'll see how it goes. I did give a 50% deposit.

When I originally talked to him he told me a little about his production problems and that he was going to steer away from "custom" builds and more toward production line assembly of current boats.
QUOTING UNCLE TOM "I am back again to update this post in case some unwary soul is trying to buy something from Canyon.

Moral of this story....Canyon builds a great raft but don't believe a thing that James tells you. Go COD on everything, and you won't be in for surprises. " END OF QUOTE

My original reply to this post was pulled ( rightfully so ) as I was in violation of the rules not posting my full name as required.

I have gone through ALL of everyone's complaints and more. The original order received (5 months late) was 1. Without motor mount modification agreed to. 2. Loaner tubes sent that had a spot where coating was worn off and material underneath showing. 3. No oars - they where received about six weeks after original delivery. After travelling to Oregon for vacation and to pick up my tubes a YEAR AND A HALF LATER and being told sorry there are not ready was the final straw.
I would only add make sure and save / copy ALL correspondence as I had ( +/- 80 pages ) it makes your case MUCH easier proving your comments are FACT if and when you decide to pursue legal recourse as I had.
No disrespect Uncle Tom, I may be old but I am one stubborn old goat that still believes in doing business on a handshake. The one's that take advantage of that well I can't say here let's leave it at that
Russell S Nichols
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG.pdf (277.7 KB, 161 views)
Divin-Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 AM   #47
IamRy
Cutthroat

I talked to Canyon and was told two week and ill have my boat. we'll see?!....
Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 AM   #48
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
I talked to Canyon and was told two week and ill have my boat. we'll see?!....
I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope that you get it within a reasonable time. Beware of the usual delaying tactic that he has used on several of us. "The frame is at the powder coater's, and they are running behind." I log onto this website about every 5-7 days and would like to know the outcome of your purchase. Please keep posting.

The only advice that I would give you right now is to not pay the balance without taking delivery of the Canyon tubes. You probably ordered Canyon tubes, but he likes to substitute Maxxon's as loaner tubes with a promise of the custom tubes to follow at a later date. I am still waiting on my tubes after 9 months.

Tom Strawther
UncleTom
Houston, Texas
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 AM   #49
IamRy
Cutthroat

Got it! I paid half up front. Won't pay the balance until delivered!!! Thanks.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #50
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Got it! I paid half up front. Won't pay the balance until delivered!!! Thanks.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #51
UncleTom
Fry

doh Re: My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub View Post
I tried calling and emailing numerous times in the last week... NO answer period. On their website it says all emails will be responded to in 48 hours. Its not that hard to pay someone to answer the phone and emails. I posted about this in another forum and someone from Canyon had the time to respond with several paragraphs about why they couldn't answer my email..
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...use-56535.html

Guess who I won't be using to build my frame. They wont even take my business... Must be making way to much $$ Seems like the general consensus is to stay far away from them. Looks like I may have to get into the frame building business.
I am thinking that you are a wise man. Save yourself some money and months of aggravation by going somewhere else. Such a shame as they build beautiful products. I don't think that this thread will go stale very soon.

A curiosity question for the group...can anybody who has actually been to the fab shop in person provide the physical address. I can't seem to get registered mail delivered to them at their public records address or the listed PO Box.

Tom Strawther
Houston, Texas

Last edited by UncleTom; 03-19-2015 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Removed mention of legal action. Might not be appropriate wording.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #52
coastaldrifter
Fry

Well I got the call and pictures my westfork boat is complete and ready for me to pick up. I upgraded the urethane tubes though so my order was completed 3 days past when they told me it would be done.

I brought this thread up to them also as I have been following it. One of the posters has been far less than truthful with his experience and even went as far as to have his boat modified and blame it on canyon for the poor performance after he had another shop do the modification, then went after them for money and kept the boat, as far as I am concerned that is stealing in my book divingdemon, or who ever you are. For everyone's info all the new boats are coming with Maxon tubes unless you want to step up to urethane. I suggest you call to get the latest if you have a boat on order. The company they were getting the pvc material stopped making it is what I was told so they have no other option for now. All the internet ***** in in America is getting old I know that, I just wanna go fishing
Old 03-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #53
IamRy
Cutthroat

how much was the urethane upgrade?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #54
gpt
Ifish Nate

I also had Tim Smith build a sweet two part frame for me. He is/was an artist with his hydralic tube bender, fun to watch a frame take shape. I could run solo or with one other person. Because he knows Jack of Jacks Plastic Welding, the real pioneer in tube making, i got the first set of 12' x 18" tubes. The rivers of the Olympic pennisula won't accomodate the off the shelf products from the vendors already mentioned. My width was 54". No overnight stuff but a means to access hard to getto waters.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #55
Gilarobusta
Fry

Forgive my intrusion. I have been a long time listener, but first time caller on this board. This is the first time I have felt the need to post, since the topic is near and dear to my pocket book, and truthfully I'm very concerned.

I have had a Canyon boat on order for a year+. They cashed my deposit check on March 11 2014, and informed me I would take delivery approximately late June 2014. After a few missed deadlines. They have been unresponsive to phone calls and e-mails for over three months. No radical changes to plans, no funky requests just a stock well made American boat. I have almost given up hope of ever seeing a boat or my deposit again… Since this and M. Buzz are the only place I've seen life from CWI I thought I would try.

Please again forgive my intrusion.

Be smart with your money, some lessons are down right spendy.

Maybe this will create an interest in my build?

J.Mazzone
Gilarobusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #56
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilarobusta View Post
Forgive my intrusion. I have been a long time listener, but first time caller on this board. This is the first time I have felt the need to post, since the topic is near and dear to my pocket book, and truthfully I'm very concerned.

I have had a Canyon boat on order for a year+. They cashed my deposit check on March 11 2014, and informed me I would take delivery approximately late June 2014. After a few missed deadlines. They have been unresponsive to phone calls and e-mails for over three months. No radical changes to plans, no funky requests just a stock well made American boat. I have almost given up hope of ever seeing a boat or my deposit again… Since this and M. Buzz are the only place I've seen life from CWI I thought I would try.

Please again forgive my intrusion.

Be smart with your money, some lessons are down right spendy.

Maybe this will create an interest in my build?

J.Mazzone
No need to apologize for getting on this board. Misery doesn't always love company, but it helps to know that you aren't the only one having these troubles. Also, this board pops up in a standard Google search regarding CWI, so it is informative for anybody thinking about ordering a raft from them.

I hounded the guy constantly for 14+ months before getting any product shipped, but he was still answering the phone at that time. Now, it appears that he has just gone "dark" rather than dealing with it. I was way stupid and paid in full at the time of the order, so I had $4300 plus hanging out. Regardless, I was about to give up and order from somebody else when my raft finally showed up. The frame was close to what I custom ordered, but he left out some of the upgrades that I paid for. Also, the Maxxon tubes that he sent as loaners are working OK for me, but again, I paid for custom Canyon tubes, and that is what I am pursuing him for.

Tom Strawther
Houston, Texas
Old 03-20-2015, 05:01 AM   #57
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastaldrifter View Post
Well I got the call and pictures my westfork boat is complete and ready for me to pick up. I upgraded the urethane tubes though so my order was completed 3 days past when they told me it would be done.

I brought this thread up to them also as I have been following it. One of the posters has been far less than truthful with his experience and even went as far as to have his boat modified and blame it on canyon for the poor performance after he had another shop do the modification, then went after them for money and kept the boat, as far as I am concerned that is stealing in my book divingdemon, or who ever you are. For everyone's info all the new boats are coming with Maxon tubes unless you want to step up to urethane. I suggest you call to get the latest if you have a boat on order. The company they were getting the pvc material stopped making it is what I was told so they have no other option for now. All the internet ***** in in America is getting old I know that, I just wanna go fishing
Hopefully, you are one of the lucky ones. Consider yourself very fortunate if everything is included in the package when you go to take delivery. Let us know how it goes.

(Just an FYI, the story about his material supplier is at least a year old and is the same story that he used on me.)

Tom Strawther
Houston, Texas
Old 03-20-2015, 06:26 AM   #58
Gilarobusta
Fry

It was seeing this boat here, that was ordered months after mine, that really pushed me to try. I live far away, so it is not like I can go hound them…maybe that is why its very low priority for them?
Gilarobusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 AM   #59
IamRy
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastaldrifter View Post

I would still like to know what the urethane tubes cost?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #60
coastaldrifter
Fry

Hey man, I sent you a message with the details on mine.