My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
draperd1
Steelhead

Default My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

Well, I got my new cataraft setup a few weeks back. I am currently on loaner tubes but mine will be 14' black with orange accented tubes.

I did a lot of asking around and got quotes from a lot of the biggest companies in the business. Many of them said "you can't do that on 14' tubes," or "I am not following what you mean by that." I went with CANYON WHITEWATER INFLATABLES out of North Bend, OR near Coos Bay. They are a younger company but have a lot of experience in the field of frame fabrication.

First getting into the boat you recognize that it is by far the most thoughtful design you have ever seen on a raft. Nothing interfers with anything else. The welds are amazingly clean and the workmanship is second to none. I had a laundry list of wants for this boat as I have had drift boats in the past and have done quite a bit of white water rafting growing up. I wanted this thing to be everything I ever wanted in a fishing/rafting vessel and this was it for me. It is unbelievably stable. The first trip I took 3 other guys, the total weight, if we were all naked without waders or jackets on was about 900 pounds. It performed beautifully, don't get me wrong it rowed heavy, but it floated very well with that much load. I wanted the ability to fish 2 up front and one in the rear, however, the majority of the time I will fish one up front and one in the back which is ideal. Unlike a drift boat, where it is very important to keep the weight balanced, this boat is incredibally stable regardless of where the fisherman are leaning, standing or fighiting the fish.

So, here is the list of wants and what you will see in the pictures below:
-Lean bar up front (removeable and swivels out of the way)
-125 Yeti for two fisherman up front with removable back rest
-The fish box is a dry box that is also where my feet are when I am rowing
-Anchor system
-Dry box under oarsmen's low back seat.
-Third row high back seating. IT IS CLUTCH. All my buddies love fishing out of her and there is plenty of room.
-Rod Storage will run across the top of the tubes (that is getting delivered soon)
-I went with 9'-6" Sawyer square tops and will never buy anything else again.
-Solid aluminum plated floor. This is a necessity for fighting fish and having the lexury of firm footing.
-Diamond plated step sides for easy in and out.
-Tackle trays up front for convenience.
-As with all of Canyon's stuff, all drybox's latch into place. If I turn this over in a big roller, the only thing falling out is the people in the boat.
-And I added a few cup holders that you will see on the back of the back rest for now.

So here are some pics of her. I will post more when I get my tubes and last lil touches.

It did take a little longer than quoted to get me the finished product but I couldn't be happier with the product.

You won't find a better frame fabricator. James and Canyon will bend over backward to please you with the product.

If you want their number or a peak at their site, here they are. Feel free to PM me with any questions on the product. Tell them Derrick Draper sent you there way.

SEE YOU ON THE RIVER!!!

*It looks like they have pictures of my frame on their site now in their photo album.

Last edited by Seon; 09-06-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: NSL removed
draperd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
BgTmFsHeR77
Tuna!

U make me lust
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
steveo_steelhead
Coho

Default Re: My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

Very nice. How does the cooler secure to the frame?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
draperd1
Steelhead

Default Re: My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

The tolerences he built it to actually hug the cooler very snug but you can also take a two foot strap and go through the Yeti designed strap down handle to further secure it to the frame. It is slicker than a dog fart.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Deanrt
Sturgeon

Man, that is sweet
Semper Fi, Team ACME, #5724
Deanrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
blueduck
Ifish Nate

I am jealous. I am curious about which tubes you selected, but I am going to guess Sotar. I live in Hillsboro. Is there any way I could take a look at the finished product? Of course, without being nosey I am curious about cost too. It looks like they did a hell of a job.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
shawn k
Chromer

That is a nice looking setup. What are the floors made of? Can they be removed for running class 3 plus rapids.
shawn k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
oregondukhntr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn k View Post
That is a nice looking setup. What are the floors made of? Can they be removed for running class 3 plus rapids.
No doubt that's a sweet setup, but with that front bench in his face I don't think I'd run anything big enough that I thought the floors needed to come out.
oregondukhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
shawn k
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondukhntr View Post
No doubt that's a sweet setup, but with that front bench in his face I don't think I'd run anything big enough that I thought the floors needed to come out.

The Bench comes out near as I can tell.
shawn k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
coastalchrome
Cutthroat

It looks like from the one photo you can take that backrest off and run without it also,nice feature. I have seen hard floor fishing cats run Rainey Falls in the winter no problem, that front area is turned up nice and not a flat floor like most.
coastalchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalchrome View Post
It looks like from the one photo you can take that backrest off and run without it also,nice feature. I have seen hard floor fishing cats run Rainey Falls in the winter no problem, that front area is turned up nice and not a flat floor like most.

The back rest is removeable. The floor is what they called Volcanized Aluminum which is welded in to the frame so there is no removing it. The front does have a turn up. I wouldn't hesitate to fun big water with this boat even with the solid floor..Maybe I'm nuts.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
I am jealous. I am curious about which tubes you selected, but I am going to guess Sotar. I live in Hillsboro. Is there any way I could take a look at the finished product? Of course, without being nosey I am curious about cost too. It looks like they did a hell of a job.
The tubes are Canyon Tubes. The are a very high quality similar to Sotar. Feel free to PM me. You are more than welcome to stop by some time to see em.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
draperd1
Steelhead

The tube diameter is 24" btw.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
JDarr

Stay outta there!!!

JD
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
gpt
Ifish Nate

nice looking job on the build. is the frame aluminum or steel?? given the diameter, i would guess aluminum.

you might think a bit about that solid floor and class 3/4 water. virtually all cats running that sort of water have 'porous' floors, either webbing or heavy gauge netting to allow the water in and out. might want to chat with your builder about putting some big holes in that floor as heavy water is going to lift your boat and it could become unstable.
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
coastalchrome
Cutthroat

You should definitely hit your builder up for a trip, those boys will show you exactly what that boat can do. They have a couple Whitewater catboat rockstars that work at that company. Pretty safe bet that boat has been run through the gnar, they fish where most don't raft. That's what sold me on my 10'6 , they run the product.

I am working up my skills still before I go mingle on the river with them! I have been mostly on the Duc and the Coquille. I was at the Red barn up towards powers one day and their crew was taking out from a run from powers city through the canyon. It looked nasty in there from the road when I drove up to jacks to have lunch.

I don't know how many actually run all the way from powers down.
coastalchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
oregondukhntr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by draperd1 View Post
The back rest is removeable. The floor is what they called Volcanized Aluminum which is welded in to the frame so there is no removing it. The front does have a turn up. I wouldn't hesitate to fun big water with this boat even with the solid floor..Maybe I'm nuts.
Good deal...I didn't see the pins when looking at it on my phone. I wouldn't sweat the floors, I've ran plenty of class 3/4 with my floors in. Some people claim floors will make your boat more prone to flipping from the hydrolics. From my experience the only real benefit of no floor is being able to climb up through the middle when your boats upside down.
oregondukhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
PM me. You're more than welcome to stop by.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
i like fish
Steelhead

Simply perfection canyon frames are perfect
i like fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
UncleTom
Fry

I was so glad to stumble across this thread. I have had a custom 12.6 fishing frame on order with Canyon for going on 5 months. James did tell me right up front that it would take at least 4 months due to their back log of orders. He still responds to email and will answer the phone, so I guess that I will just have to be a little more patient. Waiting on a new toy is so difficult!

This is my first cataraft, and I really did my homework before making the decision to go with Canyon. Being able to really customize to my likes was a big decision point. I have fished in the Outcast 1200 several times but it is a little rough around the edges for my likes. The fit and finish on the Canyon product is what sold me. There website does a real good job of showing the design and construction.
UncleTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
ShutUp&Fish
Steelhead

Very nice!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Wow! Very nice! That rig is ready for some serious adventure
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
PerfectRiverLevels
Tuna!

How much??
PerfectRiverLevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
NWDiscer
Chromer

Very nice rig.
NWDiscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
i like fish
Steelhead

I ordered the same frame but I will have 16ft tubes !

If you have wanna plan a trip this winter I'd love to plan one

Sandy clack or??

This company is awesome and explain so many details about the boat they build

I highly recommend them !!
i like fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
draperd1
Steelhead

How are those of you who worked with Canyon liking your boats?????
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Fishing-Fool
Steelhead

Awesome raft but may want to rethink the colors thinking green and yellow would be more fishy!
Fishing-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
rock bottom
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarr View Post
Stay outta there!!!

JD
Yeah how was the pucker factor in that last pic?

Sweet set up btw.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
farmguy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectRiverLevels View Post
How much??
X2 Give it up.
farmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
NorCalSalmonSlayer
Steelhead

Wow, the way I looked at your raft just made my drift boat jealous haha. Very sweet.
NorCalSalmonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #31
Pacifictimes
Coho

Default Bottom of the food chain: Rivendell

I just bought this "Used" 8' Rivendell Wave. Really excited to set it up to chase some steelhead and would really love to partner up with any of you that might be willing to take me under their wings and show me the ropes.
I live in Vancouver, Wa. am willing to go North or South to run some rivers.
Dave
Pacifictimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Ed Fast
Tuna!

Nice ad!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #33
Divin-Demon
Fry

I am glad for you but I have had loaner tubes for two years yes two. I would add the following:

Well after being jerked around for two years I have to warn / inform the following:
I filed a complaint with Oregon AG which was no help as it seems they need a minimum of 3 -6 complaints before taking any action.
Filed small claims action and Coos County Sherriff cannot serve them as there address on file PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS 1212 MEMORY LN , COOS BAY OR 97420 with Oregon Secretary of State Corporate Division does not exist.
If anyone is thinking of entering into a contract I HIGHLY recommend adding the following to your contract.
If buyer or seller defaults all Attorney fees to enforce said contract shall be paid by the defaulting party.
Get a firm delivery date in writing.
Actually pay a visit to manufacturing location or verify it by county records ect.
Deposit of no more than 20 percent down. (why tie up your money? )
And lastly keep detailed records of ALL e-mails ect to verify your claims. I have 80 + pages to dispute all ridiculous assertions made and now I am playing the catch me if you can game. Oh well what was it John Paul Jones so famously said .
FYI - I am from Idaho, almost 60 and due to Girlfriends cancer and treatments I allowed yes allowed this to go on for to long but I hope to save anyone else from my mistakes.
If any additional info desired PM
Divin-Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
UncleTom
Fry

Angry Re: My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

I recently followed your thread on Mountain Buzz and really sympathize with your situation. I also posted on this iFish thread several months ago after I had ordered my raft from Canyon. Actually, it is now going on 15 months and still no delivery on any part of the order. I have documented so many inconsistent excuses that I am running out of patience. I would laugh if I wasn't out so much money!

I also have been recently contacted by a gentleman in Oregon that is going through the same agony. We are both baffled by the situation as Canyon appears to be still in business and will answer the phone, email, and FaceBook posts. They just won't deliver our boats.

I hate to resort to legal action, but I am not seeing much else that I can do. Throwing away good money just to get a judgment against them doesn't make economic sense, but I am ****** enough to do it.

I will add the caveat that I am basically a good natured guy and will post an honest review of the raft if/when I get it. I understand production issues, but this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by UncleTom; 06-09-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Corrected a date.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #35
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
I recently followed your thread on Mountain Buzz and really sympathize with your situation. I also posted on this iFish thread several months ago after I had ordered my raft from Canyon. Actually, it is now going on 15 months and still no delivery on any part of the order. I have documented so many inconsistent excuses that I am running out of patience. I would laugh if I wasn't out so much money!

I also have been recently contacted by a gentleman in Oregon that is going through the same agony. We are both baffled by the situation as Canyon appears to be still in business and will answer the phone, email, and FaceBook posts. They just won't deliver our boats.

I hate to resort to legal action, but I am not seeing much else that I can do. Throwing away good money just to get a judgment against them doesn't make economic sense, but I am ****** enough to do it.

I will add the caveat that I am basically a good natured guy and will post an honest review of the raft if/when I get it. I understand production issues, but this is getting ridiculous.
06.19.2014 Update: I want to be more than fair with my Canyon reviews so I will note that the gentleman in Oregon that I referred to in my last post has now received his order, He met with James in person and took delivery last week. He also found James to be a hard working and pleasant person.

James now indicates that he will ship my cataraft next week, so I will wait and see. I have been fishing on a "borrowed" Aire raft set up and am very anxious to go it on my own.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #36
Divin-Demon
Fry

Quote:
06.19.2014 Update: I want to be more than fair with my Canyon reviews so I will note that the gentleman in Oregon that I referred to in my last post has now received his order, He met with James in person and took delivery last week. He also found James to be a hard working and pleasant person.

James now indicates that he will ship my cataraft next week, so I will wait and see. I have been fishing on a "borrowed" Aire raft set up and am very anxious to go it on my own.
Uncle Tom,
I hope you receive your order as stated. I was awarded a default judgment about a week ago. If things go the way I expect it will be a catch me if you can game, although now there is a lien automatically placed on property in Coos County. After all is said and done after Attorney fees which are NOT recoverable ( hence my warning to alter contract ) I will be lucky to have enough to take the girlfriend out for a nice dinner date

Oh well as you said ***** enough I do not care , enough that money WELL spent to teach a lesson ! This from someone that spent $18,000 in divorce fee's over a $500 credit card. Long story but ONE stubborn Frenchman !!
Divin-Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #37
UncleTom
Fry

Divin-Demon.

James sent me a photo of my finished raft last week. It looks like the custom job that I ordered, but I don't have a clue how old the photo actually is. As of today, the boat is supposed to be on a freight truck headed my way, but I haven't received a tracking notice....go figure! Anyway, I will let you know when/if I actually get the raft.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #38
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Divin-Demon.

James sent me a photo of my finished raft last week. It looks like the custom job that I ordered, but I don't have a clue how old the photo actually is. As of today, the boat is supposed to be on a freight truck headed my way, but I haven't received a tracking notice....go figure! Anyway, I will let you know when/if I actually get the raft.
I received my raft today via UPS Freight and spent most of the afternoon unpacking and rigging. There was no shipping damage, and other than a set of seat bolts, everything was with the order. The fabrication appears to be top notch, and the fit and finish are exceptional. My oars/oar locks are coming under a separate shipment, and then I will be ready for water trials.

I really have mixed feelings about Canyon as I am happy to receive my order, but it took so very, very long to get it done. They build an outstanding product, but I just hope that they really improve their customer service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1352.jpg (77.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #39
DAB
King Salmon

A whole lot of common sense went into that frame.

Excellent frame.
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #40
UncleTom
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
A whole lot of common sense went into that frame.

Excellent frame.
Thanks for the compliment. I fish narrow creeks and rivers in Southeast Texas as well as occasionally in the Texas Hill Country. Very little technical water to contend with, just lots of logs, rocks, etc. to dodge around. I had the frame narrowed from 36" to 30" in order to accommodate my particular needs. Still plenty of foot space and cargo area.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #41
gpt
Ifish Nate

wow, sorry all you folks have had so much trouble. I know a couple of small business men who do custom work for a living. they are perpetually 6-8 months behind schedule and never seem to catch up to the demand. it is frustrating to say the least when you are anxious about getting a quality product and then out fishing. my current custom made ALMAR boat took 300 days from the time I placed the order until it was delivered. perhaps the difference here is they told me it was going to be a long time coming.

I had a cat frame custom made in Portland by Tim Smith. I have do idea if he is still in business but a nice custom designer with a real itch for impossible white water adventure. I also had a narrow frame built as the rivers I frequent for fishing are pretty small and rocky.

all the best to you folks, the frustration levels are not easy to deal with.
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #42
roost4u
Tuna!

I really like the frame of the original poster. The only thing I would change is to make the front backrest adjustable height with those pin thingys. That way you could lower it down for bigger water if you were afraid of busting your face open.

I'd also get rid of the grab handles on the back seat and make it a swivel seat so you could position yourself better while sitting to fight a fish.
roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #43
KalamaGeo
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost4u View Post
I really like the frame of the original poster. The only thing I would change is to make the front backrest adjustable height with those pin thingys. That way you could lower it down for bigger water if you were afraid of busting your face open.

I'd also get rid of the grab handles on the back seat and make it a swivel seat so you could position yourself better while sitting to fight a fish.

Sitting to fight a fish?

Who does that?