**Warning Exposed Blank Reel seats** - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Default **Warning Exposed Blank Reel seats**

If any of you have purchased a rod with an exposed blank reel seat that was made in china like a w.w. grigg or even Okuma the exposed portion in the reel seat might not actually be the blank, just a peice of plastic painted to look like the blank.

That is all

100% Siwash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Flatfish
King Salmon

Default Re: **Warning Exposed Blank Reel seats**

Did the ad dept at Loomiglas ask you to spread these rumors?
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
100% Siwash
Tuna!

(best Schwarzenegger voice)

It's not a Rumor!!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Flatfish
King Salmon

Thumbs up Re: **Warning Exposed Blank Reel seats**

9.1/10! Nice work.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
abufreak
Chromer

exposed blank reel seats are a gimmick anyways. i'd dare anyone to be able to find a difference in sensitivity vs a standard seat. they cramp my fingers too.

the biggest problem i have with them is that most manufacturers don't spend the time actually fitting them to the rod, and they've got big gaps between the seat and the blank.
abufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
69scout
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abufreak View Post
exposed blank reel seats are a gimmick anyways. i'd dare anyone to be able to find a difference in sensitivity vs a standard seat. they cramp my fingers too.

the biggest problem i have with them is that most manufacturers don't spend the time actually fitting them to the rod, and they've got big gaps between the seat and the blank.
Yes , they're gimmicks on a 40-60 dollars rod . Not a whole lot of time and effort was put in to building the rod .
But if you are telling me that the there are no difference in sensitivity between a skeleton reel seat and a regular reel seat. There might be some numbing in your hands and fingers.

This is my exposed blank reel seat SI. I'll let you fish with to see if there are differences ....
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
choppers
Ifish Nate

my cheap chinese Berkly, Okuma with exposed blank under the grip is exposed and works just fine.

Never mind I just saw what scout posted, that's really exposed.

Last edited by choppers; 03-27-2013 at 11:43 AM.
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Flatfish
King Salmon

Does the foam grip help out with the sensitivity?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Green Giant
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
Does the foam grip help out with the sensitivity?
Bingo!
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Skeleton grips = bass rods
Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
tsaelee
Steelhead

That thing looks sexy 69scout.
tsaelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Flatfish
King Salmon

Lightbulb Re: **Warning Exposed Blank Reel seats**

It is very important to have an exposed blank under the reel seat while trolling herring for salmon. Many people get have a tough time telling when they got a bite.

You know how it is-It may be a bite.....or- maybe a Chevrolet fell off a bridge and landed on your leader It's just tough to tell the difference........

A reel with a clicker also helps indicate a bite is occuring (For those of us too dumb to figure things out without the help of an exposed rod blank).

Or you can wait for the boat next to you to say something like "Are you gonna reel that thing in today?"

Or you can hire a team of scientists from NASA (Many are looking for work now that the big layoff hit the fan), and have them figure out when you have a bite. They can do studies. The nerds could have a a camera take some pictures from space (It happens all the time. Watch a spy movie and educate yourself) to help tell if you got a trophy lunker nibbling on your green label..

Gather enough data, hire a few spies and some rocket scientists, a few russian mobsters and reel in your catch!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:
It is very important to have an exposed blank under the reel seat while trolling herring for salmon. ./.

You know how it is-It may be a bite.....or- maybe a Chevrolet fell off a bridge and landed on your leader It's just tough to tell the difference........
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
rob allen
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100% Siwash View Post
IF It Were Not For Bass Fishermen Salmon And steelhead Gear Would Be Asolute crap. Salmon And Steelheaders Simply Do Not Buy Enough Gear To Pay For Manufacturers To Innovate New Products..
rob allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
69scout
Sturgeon

Quote:
It is very important to have an exposed blank under the reel seat while trolling herring for salmon. Many people get have a tough time telling when they got a bite.

A reel with a clicker also helps indicate a bite is occuring (For those of us too dumb to figure things out without the help of an exposed rod blank).

Or you can wait for the boat next to you to say something like "Are you gonna reel that thing in today?"

Or you can hire a team of scientists from NASA (Many are looking for work now that the big layoff hit the fan), and have them figure out when you have a bite. They can do studies. The nerds could have a a camera take some pictures from space (It happens all the time. Watch a spy movie and educate yourself) to help tell if you got a trophy lunker nibbling on your green label..

Gather enough data, hire a few spies and some rocket scientists, a few russian mobsters and reel in your catch!
Wow....

Btw . The only application that use a exposed reel seat is for a drift rod only. No need to have an exposed reel seat with a rod sitting in a rod holder.

Oh , SI wash. Guess you haven't perfected the split grip build yet , I presume ....
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
veilside180sx
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob allen View Post
IF It Were Not For Bass Fishermen Salmon And steelhead Gear Would Be Asolute crap. Salmon And Steelheaders Simply Do Not Buy Enough Gear To Pay For Manufacturers To Innovate New Products..
That's the truth.
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Sarge1201
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob allen View Post
Salmon And Steelheaders Simply Do Not Buy Enough Gear To Pay For Manufacturers To Innovate New Products..
I believe my wife would argue this point.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
Now that there is funny.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
choppers
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside180sx View Post
That's the truth.
Thank goodness trying to land Chinook with Zebco would rock and suck at the same time.
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside180sx View Post
That's the truth.

I am pretty sure Lamiglas sells more salmon/steelie rods than bass.

ask them
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69scout View Post
Wow....

Btw . The only application that use a exposed reel seat is for a drift rod only. No need to have an exposed reel seat with a rod sitting in a rod holder.

Oh , SI wash. Guess you haven't perfected the split grip build yet , I presume ....

I have see what you "Couldn't do" with your skeleton grip rod.. Nothing will be sensitive enough for you when it comes to drift fishing..

Ive said it before..

Id rather have a better bait cure than the most sensetive rod..
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
69scout
Sturgeon

Quote:
I have see what you "Couldn't do" with your skeleton grip rod.. Nothing will be sensitive enough for you when it comes to drift fishing..

Ive said it before..

Id rather have a better bait cure than the most sensetive rod..
Touché ..... Lol

Them boots were meant to be your .... Lol
Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
100% Siwash
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69scout View Post
Touché ..... Lol

Them boots were meant to be your .... Lol

Fresh fish!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
AdamBomb
Steelhead

Whats the point of having woven graphite or texalium on the butt end of a rod.. sure it looks cool.. but adds an awful lot of weight with no benefits... probably dulls sensitivity too... but hey it looks cool
AdamBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #25
2slow
Steelhead

Quote:

Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #26
Alseaya
Steelhead

Give me a rose wood reel seat and on old Weibe C trigger.

You guys can have the fancy crap that only belongs on a rod that rides in a go fast sparkle boat.

What the hell is the deal with the EVA foam on rods now days? When I see that I automatically assume that it is garbage..

And what is the deal with all the stupid colors too? Rods only need to be grey, black or brown.
Alseaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #27
ChezJfrey
Chromer

Quote:

Is there a 'post of the week' contest or anything? If so, I want to nominate this one
ChezJfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #28
rob allen
King Salmon

to each their own! I caught lots of steelhead on my old lamiglas s glass. it had no sensitivity. steelhead bites are not difficult to detect... when talking about the sensitivity differences between rods is really splitting hairs.. I like fuji acms reel seats because they are the most comfortable for me.

when i build rods i commonly sleeve my reel seat with with a piece of graphite blank. why? so i can put the reel seat exactly where i want it not where it fits on my particular blank and still have a nice tight fit.. it's actually a better way to do it than gluing it to the blank

I did my own survey of steelhead rods recently I looked at everything sportsman's and fisherman's had to offer. the rods I found to have the action i like with components I felt were good and esthetically pleasing.

far and away the Okuma SST rods were better than everything else on the market including Loomis and Lamiglas si. but to each their own.

if the appearance of sensitivity is highly important to you the best thing you can do it built the top end of the rod with as light of components as you can and build the butt with a split rear grip and no fore grip.. arguing about reel seats??? Ha.
rob allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
rollcast
Tuna!

This has been an amusing thread. I agree that Flatfish wins the post of the week.

Personally, I hate all the skinny reel seats that are popping up on rods these days. I have pretty big hands and long fingers and fishing one of those rods is like squeezing a toothpick. For maximum comfort and fish-ability I want a reel seat that is big enough around to fill up my hand when I am holding it gently. I think that most "sensitivity" comes from watching your line and seeing when it does something unexpected.

Just thought I would throw in my

skunk is a fly, not an event :smile:
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote