22 ammo hoarding ? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
B Run Banker
Tuna!

Default 22 ammo hoarding ?

so whats the big deal with all the 22 lr ammo ? here around the tricities its all been gone for quite a while. theres still some of the higher end stuff but not much, when all this panik buying stuff started i would go by the gun dept and see tons of bricks laying around for a good price, and 9mm all over the place. so i thought i would get some bricks and go shooting , bingo all gone , so i guess the scare of a higher tax was the cause of that. so my buddy gets a xd 40 subcompact which i thought was pretty sweet, as i dont have any small handguns that carry well so i got 9mm sub.and of course no ammo . all i wanted to do was shoot my new gun lol. but now the 9 stuff is trickling in . but we still dont have any 22 . maybe they stopped making it in favor of the other popular ammo...

B Run Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Keta
King Salmon

Default Re: 22 ammo hoarding ?

Right now people buy as much as they can when they find it keeping the supply tight.

Some ammo is starting to show up, I saw a few hundred 30rd AR mags in a store and some shops are advertising AR-15s in stock....but at ridiculously high prices. Shotguns and shotgun shells are in good supply.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate

It will be a while before people figure out that all of our guns and ammo are not going to be banned even though some specific firearms might be. I find it funny that people are paying so much for 22lr.

I'm glad I bought my bricks when they were 8.99 for 525 and even after the last big scare I had yet to pay more than 15.99. Since I have about 6k of 22 anybody want to buy some?

I'll sell it for .22 each round. :-)
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
aaroncoastie
Cutthroat

It's rediculous. I had to pay almost $18 a brick for ammo in the one place that has .22 so my kid could actually shoot his cricket. A lot of the stores have a 2 box per day per caliber limit to minimize the hoarding.
aaroncoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
eobowhntr
Steelhead

Its pretty bad around here. A friend of mine waited 1.5 hours at Wal-mart for there ammo to arrive. They had 10 boxes of .22 in that order, with a 3 box maximum. He bought 3 boxes, they sold out within 5 minutes. I called bi-mart to check there ammo order, and yesterday they received 4 boxes of .41 mag ammo, and some 12Ga. Some stores are saying July is when there ammo shipments will start getting bigger!
eobowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
DTSportsman
Ifish Nate

Unfortunately I think greed is a huge player in this, look at all of the ammo and guns for sale at inflated prices on the gun auction sites, many people are buying just to make some $$ not for use. The .22 shortage is completely rediculouse, it isn't affected at all by any of the "gun ban" talk.

Acts 10:10-15, Romans 10:9
DTSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Stubby 55
Cutthroat

Me thinks the red digers have been buying em up for payback be warned
Stubby 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Swifty27
Tuna!

I heard ammo manufacturers are spooled up making more expensive rounds because there's a demand for them. 22 has taken a back seat, and thus, have become scarce.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Old Goat
Tuna!

Manufacturers will not gear up for these spikes in ammo buying. They are working at capacity and once things settle down (like they did after the 2008 election) things will ease up. They only have so much equipment online. I would not go out and invest who knows (millions) to keep up with the craze when in a few months demand will be back down. Remember the toilet paper shortage?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Wetwrk2
Steelhead

The factories order so much powder, so much brass, and so many bullets a year in advance for what they think the market is going to need. They are alway guessing for next year's market.

So when something like the panic buying happens, they are caught with only the bulk stock for what that had planned to use from last year. Now, they are playing catch-up, and still trying to plan for next years production.

Then you factor in the re-tooling for each caliber....for each lot.

Nobody keeps mountains of raw material, its all ordered in.-WW
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Big Unit
King Salmon

Unhappy Re: 22 ammo hoarding ?

Don't look up, the sky is falling! And it's too bad.

BU
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
GLA
Steelhead

Big unit thats the thought that came to my mind. Chicken little running around screaming the sky is falling.
Now the idea of a toilet paper shortage, that is scary.
GLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
doehnter
Cutthroat

I have a friend that works for a reloading company in Portland area. He said that they are working at the fastest pace ever. Every time they have a trailer load ready, someone in Texas buys the entire trailer load.
doehnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

Wow...I'd better run out there and buy 1000 rolls of TP to get stocked up for the big "wipe out". What's hot, "Charmin"?
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
DZ122/6
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbobber View Post
Wow...I'd better run out there and buy 1000 rolls of TP to get stocked up for the big "wipe out". What's hot, "Charmin"?
Think we all should get some additional high capacity dispensers while we are stocking up?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
salesman
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Run Banker View Post
so whats the big deal with all the 22 lr ammo ? here around the tricities its all been gone for quite a while. theres still some of the higher end stuff but not much, when all this panik buying stuff started i would go by the gun dept and see tons of bricks laying around for a good price, and 9mm all over the place. so i thought i would get some bricks and go shooting , bingo all gone , so i guess the scare of a higher tax was the cause of that. so my buddy gets a xd 40 subcompact which i thought was pretty sweet, as i dont have any small handguns that carry well so i got 9mm sub.and of course no ammo . all i wanted to do was shoot my new gun lol. but now the 9 stuff is trickling in . but we still dont have any 22 . maybe they stopped making it in favor of the other popular ammo...
Obama=best firearm and ammo salesman in history.
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Thissell
Steelhead

We are seeing an extreme shift in the demand for ammo. One underlying cause is the increased sales of firearms; however, this is rooted, along with the ammo shortage, too in the real problem- people are irrationally responding in fear to potential gun legislation.

People are hoarding ammo. They are buying all they can and whenever they can. This is placing a major social strain on us individuals who want to acquire our normal quantity of ammo.

Like it, or not, the only way to fix this problem is to substantially raise the price of ammo to the point where people are no longer capable of buying quantities that are greater than their actual personal utitility.

Unfortunately, no manufacture or retail wants to be accused of "price gauging" so they will not raise prices, and instead do their best to increase the quantity they supply to the market. They will increase their production times, hire new labor shifts, ext. We might even see an increase in supply, like what has already been rumored that Federal has baught a European manufacturer and is off-shoring them to the US. All of the attempts by the suppliers to meet the current, irrational, demand will only lead to future problems, eg layoffs and surpluses of component inputs, in the market when we see the inevitable shift to a decrease in demand.

So how long do we have to wait until we can get shells? When will the hoarders wake up and realize they have more cartridges in storage than they have used in the last decade? When will people rationalize and determine that they way over exceeding the law of diminishing marginal utility? When will they realize that their money, hopefully not their credit, is better spent on other things or better yet not spent at all and sitting in the savings account?

I don't know. I just hope it all settles out before my new .06 gets here.
Thissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
GDuck
Chromer

I have a friend selling 500 rd bricks of .22 on an auction site......for.....$75 a brick, not including shipping. No kiddin'. When this got weird a few years back the 2nd time (first time was when the original AWB showed up), you also had the Israelis vs. Hamas fight going on, plus you had China buying every scrap of every type of metal.....that dam they were building, the Olympics, their crazy growth, the whole thing drove ammo sky high. Now its all fear based. Times like these will come and go.

G
GDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
DTSportsman
Ifish Nate

The problem doesn't lie with people buying ammo as fast as they can for their own use, it's people buying it just to make $$. Greed is the biggest factor right now.

Acts 10:10-15, Romans 10:9
DTSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
Chromer

I was up at Cabela's in Lacy on Friday. They had some bullets but no powder, absolutely none. I guess reloading is going to take a back seat for a while. Hope this goes away before fall gets here.
5420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
DAB
King Salmon

I hoard no mater who is in the White House, I just keep a good supply all the time for times like this . When things get back to normal I'll restock my supplies.
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
C-Run
Steelhead

I was at the gun show in Centrailia yesterday and bricks were $50-$60, other ammo was a little better priced but 22 was very high priced.
C-Run is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
Smokerjet
Chromer

If anyone is interested I am willing to trade my bricks of .22 ammo for elk or deer points
Smokerjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
nehalemguy
Sturgeon

nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
fishingls
Piscatologist

I think only about 10% of the hoarders are motivated by resale for profit. I am a hoarder. A bad one. I have more ammp than I need for the rest of my life but the political games scare me. I also hope my hoard is passed on to my grandsons who may find it even more difficult to find ammo and to own firearms. A big part of my hoarding is driven by leaving a legacy for my grandsons.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Well, I'm sure not to blame. I haven't found any for sale for months, and I have a new-to-me Marlin 39 that wants a workout.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Flatfish
King Salmon

I'm a hoarder. Here is why....

Back in the 90s, some politicians with a less than rosey view on the firearms business made comments about primers getting a shelf life. There was a HUGE run on all ammo and reloading components.

I got left out in the cold on small rifle primers. Being a benchrest guy, that kinda killed me for a month. It was my hobby. So for about 5 weeks. It's kinda tough to compete in a shooting match without ammo.

After that, instead of buying what I needed for the next month or so, when they came back onto dealers shelves, I bought a couple years worth at once.

I still have stuff left over from back then. When i hear or see folks frustrated about shortages, I am pleased to know I prepared for these days.

Fool me once......
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
CombinationLicense
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post

Back in the 90s, some politicians with a less than rosey view on the firearms business made comments about primers getting a shelf life. There was a HUGE run on all ammo and reloading components.

I got left out in the cold on small rifle primers. Being a benchrest guy, that kinda killed me for a month. It was my hobby. So for about 5 weeks. It's kinda tough to compete in a shooting match without ammo.

After that, instead of buying what I needed for the next month or so, when they came back onto dealers shelves, I bought a couple years worth at once.

I still have stuff left over from back then. When i hear or see folks frustrated about shortages, I am pleased to know I prepared for these days.

Fool me once......

Pretty much the same story here except for the bench rest hobby. After the Clinton years if I needed one, instead I would buy two. A guy could ALWAYS use more but for the most part I can still shoot during this crisis.

"CL"
CombinationLicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #29
nehalemguy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post

Fool me once......
Same story here except I got caught wanting during the '08 shortages. I was down to as few as six rounds for my favorite rifle and unable to find the powder I needed to load more.

After that I resolved to not get caught in that situation again and gradually laid up enough supplies and components to see me through this time.

E
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
PGJPJ
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalemguy View Post
Same story here except I got caught wanting during the '08 shortages. I was down to as few as six rounds for my favorite rifle and unable to find the powder I needed to load more.

After that I resolved to not get caught in that situation again and gradually laid up enough supplies and components to see me through this time.

E
Me too. I don't "hoard" components, but I make sure I have enough for 2 to 3 years of the kind of shooting I like to do. 2008 caught me off guard. Now I don't even feel a shortage, if I want to shoot, no problem.

In a year or two I'll replenish my inventory.

Watching the people buy up the shelves just to resale the stuff on iFish or whatever is what kills me. Those people are the real zombies, they will eat you in a crisis!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #31
458win
Tuna!

When Obama got elected the 2nd time I made darn sure I had enough of everything I needed to shoot to my hearts content for the next 4 years.. Then I did a dumb thing and bought a .408 Chey Tac and only had 2lbs of Retumbo (50 loads to a lb). By some stroke of luck a friend in Vegas had 8lb he sold me for a slightly inflated price (still cheaper then what Brunos wanted!)

I do miss the days of $8 a brick 22LR (when it wasn't even on sale!)
458win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
h2ofowlr
Steelhead

I have over the years hit every sale on .22 shells and would always buy several bricks. Used to do the same with all calibers I had. Hit every sale, so I ended up with some ammo. Maybe others will learn to buy a few more boxes vs. only as needed. It's all supply vs. demand
h2ofowlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #33
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
Obama=best firearm and ammo salesman in history.
i believe it was the nra using him as their we need our big contributors to make more money/the sky is falling as they contiually call asking for money and laying out some fear mongering
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #34
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
i believe it was the nra using him as their we need our big contributors to make more money/the sky is falling as they contiually call asking for money and laying out some fear mongering

You are sadly mistaken.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #35
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
You are sadly mistaken.
well same thing election before and the only thing that changed in gun laws was that we are now allowed to take a gun into a national park. so i guess we can agree to disagree
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #36
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
well same thing election before and the only thing that changed in gun laws was that we are now allowed to take a gun into a national park. so i guess we can agree to disagree
The NRA was here last December and there was plenty of ammo. The only thing that changed are the current gun bans being push by a certain political party and the current resident of the White House. This is what is the driving factor for ammo hording....not the NRA pointing out what is obvious to most of us.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #37
Wreckless
King Salmon

There are people that blame the NRA for hoarding!!!!????
AS Keta mentioned, the National Rifle Association has been around, defending the rights of gun owners since 1871!!!!!!

There are people SWORN to uphold the Constitution that are calling for CONFISCATION!!!! It will NEVER happen BECAUSE of the Second Amendment!!!! "They" know that!!!!!

What has changed is that there are a group of people that are using a HORRIBLE tragedy to push their agenda. To the point of FABRICATING "facts".

I'm NOT a fear monger or a hoarder. I believe level heads and our Constitution WILL prevail, but I do have plenty of ammo

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #38
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Well, I'm sure not to blame. I haven't found any for sale for months, and I have a new-to-me Marlin 39 that wants a workout.
You mean to tell me you haven't shot my (your) Marlin yet?

PM your addy, I'll change that!

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #39
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGJPJ View Post
Me too. I don't "hoard" components, but I make sure I have enough for 2 to 3 years of the kind of shooting I like to do. 2008 caught me off guard. Now I don't even feel a shortage, if I want to shoot, no problem.

In a year or two I'll replenish my inventory.

Watching the people buy up the shelves just to resale the stuff on iFish or whatever is what kills me. Those people are the real zombies, they will eat you in a crisis!
I'm with you. I have 2 or 3 years on hand, enough (I hope) to get past this.

Except .357 mag, I WAAAY overbought when I thought I was going to get into CAS. The only .357 I have now is a stainless Blackhawk.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #40
Deerhuntr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
The NRA was here last December and there was plenty of ammo. The only thing that changed are the current gun bans being push by a certain political party and the current resident of the White House. This is what is the driving factor for ammo hording....not the NRA pointing out what is obvious to most of us.
whats interesting is the biggest threat to our gun rights right now is our own state, not Obama. Yes Obama has called for gun control like universal background checks and so on, but the state of Oregon is pushing the issue. I grow tired of the immediate reaction being "Obama's fault." The only people we have to blame for the ammo shortage is ourselves.
Deerhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #41
WildernessHunter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncoastie View Post
It's rediculous. I had to pay almost $18 a brick for ammo in the one place that has .22 so my kid could actually shoot his cricket. A lot of the stores have a 2 box per day per caliber limit to minimize the hoarding.

If you're paying $18/brick (500 rounds) you are getting a good deal.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #42
fungunnin
Steelhead

18 a brick was pre crazy prices. Right now that is a great deal. When this all calms down that will be normal price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
fungunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #43
big bird
Steelhead

Simple solution, if everyone one would stop paying ridiculous prices for ammo,then the price will return to where it should be,it is mind blowing what people think the are going to accomplish with a zillion rounds of ammo of any caliber???Save the world??If they ban firearms tomorrow,all the ammo everyone hoarded wont do you any good,now will it??
big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #44
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
If they ban firearms tomorrow,all the ammo everyone hoarded wont do you any good,now will it??
That's when it will be most useful.