Colt Model 1908 - Magazine repair needed - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
zabadozer
Steelhead

Default Colt Model 1908 - Magazine repair needed

Hey Guys –

I inherited my Great Grandma’s old Colt Model 1908 “Vest Pocket” (25 ACP). She lived to 93 and this was her home protection. It’s a tiny thing (see pic with 50 cent piece for reference).

The gun is tight, the bore is bright and I’m anxious to take it to the range. However, I can’t get it to feed a cartridge because it has a hairline split down the back of the magazine (see pic). When loaded, the spring pressure wants to open the crack open preventing the cartridge from feeding.

I’ve been looking for an original magazine replacement, but they are in short supply and expensive. There are some repros out there, but they aren’t cheap either.

Seems like a quick weld would fix? Looking for recommendations of a gunsmith, precision welder, or suggested repair methods. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zabadozer; 10-08-2013 at 08:09 PM.
zabadozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: Colt Model 1908 - Magazine repair needed

Someone with a TIG welder could zip that shut. Would need to disassemble the clip so the spring doesn't get hot.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
jeepmor
Ifish Nate

Try contacting Tornado Technologies or Bartlett Machining. I'm not certain if either shop does any welding as they are machine shops, but they will know a good shop to get that work done. BTW, they are both firearms shops, so they will also clearly understand the scope of your request.

At Bartlett, ask for John Little. Good folks at that shop. I have limited, but still positive, experience with Tornado Technologies.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
zabadozer
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Try contacting Tornado Technologies or Bartlett Machining. I'm not certain if either shop does any welding as they are machine shops, but they will know a good shop to get that work done. BTW, they are both firearms shops, so they will also clearly understand the scope of your request.

At Bartlett, ask for John Little. Good folks at that shop. I have limited, but still positive, experience with Tornado Technologies.
Thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate it.
zabadozer is offline   Reply With Quote