Recommendation for ocean salmon rod to fish with 2lb release weights - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Pacific Fisher
Steelhead

Default Recommendation for ocean salmon rod to fish with 2lb release weights

I fish with downriggers and mooch on my boat. I fish with a buddy on his boat who runs 2 lb lead balls with releases.
I have tried a few rods but not that happy. Looking for something around 8 foot. I run Shimano 15/30 star drag reels.

Thanks

Craig Bell
Pacific Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Threemuch
King Salmon

Default Re: Recommendation for ocean salmon rod to fish with 2lb release weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
I fish with downriggers and mooch on my boat. I fish with a buddy on his boat who runs 2 lb lead balls with releases.
I have tried a few rods but not that happy. Looking for something around 8 foot. I run Shimano 15/30 star drag reels.

Thanks
I don't know about an 8 footer, but on the cheap side and only 7' long, the ugly stick tigers in medium work pretty well for that. On the expensive side, a calstar 270 or 270H can be had in an 8' blank and would do fine in this application. Those are both glass rods, which are tough enough to sling 2 pounds of lead around. 8' is pretty long for a lead ball troller.

Old Skool trolling! I cut my teeth trolling that way, but the balls were a buck a piece. Your buddy must have a good lead source!
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
The Pew
Tuna!

I have a Shimano at home that would do exactly what you are after. I will check the model when I get home. If I remember right it was about $80 at Fisherman's.

It is an 8' rod the I have used for pulling divers for salmon,bottom fishing and sturgeon. I bought it for multi species days to minimize rods on the boat.

I'd be really interested in the release system you are using.

Last edited by The Pew; 02-19-2013 at 06:55 AM.
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Pacific Fisher
Steelhead

Default Re: Recommendation for ocean salmon rod to fish with 2lb release weights

Just a standard, inline, salmon tolling sinker release, They are silver with a slot cut so you czn pull a spring and insert the lead ball eye.

I agree lead is too expensive. My buddy has saved up a good supply and pours his own.

Craig Bell
Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Threemuch
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pew View Post

I'd be really interested in the release system you are using.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Deeman
Tuna!

Thats what those things are for

I have always used mine as a quick release on my downrigger wire. They work great and never any early releases from main line tension.
Deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
The Pew
Tuna!

The rod is a Shimano Talora. Model TLA 80mh2. Looking at the shimano site they have a few line weights in that model/length.

This one is an 8' 15-30lb medium action rod.

Seems like it would suit your needs at a decent price. I bought mine 3 years ago so I assume they still make them.

Last edited by The Pew; 02-19-2013 at 04:14 PM.
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman View Post
Thats what those things are for

I have always used mine as a quick release on my downrigger wire. They work great and never any early releases from main line tension.

How do you rig it?

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Deeman
Tuna!

Solid end toward the rod. Sliding end to flasher/dodger and bait.

Pull it open and put it on the wire under a crimped bead.

when the fish hits it opens and releases from the wire.

Its workes great, I thought thats what they were for.
Deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman View Post
Solid end toward the rod. Sliding end to flasher/dodger and bait.

Pull it open and put it on the wire under a crimped bead.

when the fish hits it opens and releases from the wire.

Its workes great, I thought thats what they were for.
Sounds as if you attach it to your line, then.

How do you control the distance from your downrigger cable to your flasher?

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
Pipe Dream
Chromer

The OP's original inquiry goes back to what in Puget Sound (and particularly the Tacoma/Point Defiance area) were referred to as meat lines. The several examples I have seen were heavy duty single action reels on a short 4 foot solid glass rod with only one or two guides. While any fish hooked was actually "fought" on the rod and reel after the lead dropped away it was more "meat" than "sport" but in the day was an effective way to get down to the fish - especially for blackmouth. When fighting a fish not sure if the rod was actually removed from the rod holder which was often a short piece of pipe weld across the top of a longer piece which in turn was welded to a base which was bolted to the gunnel. Ugly but effective. Weights may have been heavier than the two pounds being discussed here.

Downriggers made this method obsolete (thankfully).
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Threemuch
King Salmon

In CA, what we referred to as "meat" lines did not release the lead, and there was usually a snubber between the lead and the lure. The "rod" never came out of the holder. Most used single strand monel wireline. They could use these rigs to wireline halibut in shallow too.

Guys who used sinker releases were "sport" fishing and once the lead drops it is no different than hooking a downrigger fish, although usually the rod has a bit more backbone than your typical downrigger noodle.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Pacific Fisher
Steelhead

How about a Calstar 800L?
Anybody run one of those for a lead ball release rod.

Craig Bell
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Pipe Dream
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threemuch View Post
usually the rod has a bit more backbone than your typical downrigger noodle.
Understatement of the day! Yes, there were versions that did not release and also some with snubbers as well as wire. Lots of permutations but all left something to be desired as a sporting experience.
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote