Mr. Heater, Big Buddy - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
di choi
Steelhead

Default Mr. Heater, Big Buddy

I have owned several of the larger Mr. Heater units (Big Buddy).
2 element with a battery operated fan.
The units all failed shortly after purchase. The main complaint was that they would just go out for no apparent reason. Not wind or movement or
tilt.
I would take them back for replacement with the same result. I ended up with the smaller unit. Would love to have the bigger one, however.
Has anyone else experienced the same issue and perhaps found a solution?
Thanks,
Bob

di choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
NWDomer
Chromer

Default Re: Mr. Heater, Big Buddy

This one works perfect for me. Bi-Mart has all the fix'ns.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
di choi
Steelhead

That certainly would keep one warm. I am however more interested in the Mr. Heater as it takes up less real estate and is more selfcontained.
The one I had worked for awhile and would always restart after awhile but
got tired with it going out all the time.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
veilside180sx
Sturgeon

I haven't had any issues with my Big Buddy or a friend's. mine is used on the boat most of the winter w/o fail. It only seems to go out when it's rough, super windy & it's exposed, or runs out of gas.
veilside180sx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Gus Orviston
Flatlander

I have both. My big one works ok and have not had any issues. The little version I use in the drifter and it went out a lot. I took it apart and disabled the tip mechanism. Warning. Don't do that unless you permanently mark the unit that it won't shut off when tipped!

That said the little one now works great in the db. Just the right amount of heat up front.

G
Gus Orviston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
chummer
Ifish Nate

I have found propane to be a fairly dirty fuel in these applications, I had my Little buddy gone through and cleaned. I purchased a propane filter from Cabela's (It screws in where a little propane bottle would normally screw in) and have not had anymore problems.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
di choi
Steelhead

Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Run4cvr
Coho

I too have had problems with these heaters. Looking online, I have found numerous complaints about them blowing/going out. I found that if the slightest breeze of cold air contacted the probe, the heaters would shut off (were talking VERY light breeze). I built a little heat shield for the probe/pilot and it helped a little, but still went out at the slightest breeze. Mr Heater states that these heaters were not designed for outdoor use and I can see why, unless your in a TOTALLY enclosed cabin theyre prone to this blowout. Finally fixed mine with just replacing it with a tanktop unit on a pancake 2.5 gal tank, it never goes out and puts out 3x the output.
Run4cvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
ccw
Sturgeon

di choi, are you trying to use it in an open boat, on more exposed, windier water?

My buddy has one and it occasionally goes out with very windy conditions and tipping as expected, but generally, he is very pleased. He has his in a ski boat with the soft top & side curtains that are always on and often drop curtain too. I use the kind shown by nw domer above without problems, but my boat is hard topped. I wonder if other open boaters have similar problems to yours. C.W.

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Run4cvr
Coho

The heat probe is more affected during cooler weather (obviously) and the days/ nights I had the most problems were when it was sub freezing with 5/10 mph winds. I had my heater all the way towards the window with the top and sides up, but the back open. Worked great heading into the breeze, but blew out as soon as I spun away from the wind. Really didnt feel as though it was getting hit with the breeze, but it blew out every time.
Run4cvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
di choi
Steelhead

I did see that same issue when I would turn around. That made sense (maybe).
But the darn thing would just stop working, even on anchor. Without wind. I will say that the units were from a couple of years ago. Perhaps they have made improvements by now. I have had no issues with the smaller unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4cvr View Post
The heat probe is more affected during cooler weather (obviously) and the days/ nights I had the most problems were when it was sub freezing with 5/10 mph winds. I had my heater all the way towards the window with the top and sides up, but the back open. Worked great heading into the breeze, but blew out as soon as I spun away from the wind. Really didnt feel as though it was getting hit with the breeze, but it blew out every time.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Playtime
Chromer

I have had the same problems with the smaller version. My issue is the wind that swirls under the my top when the drop curtain is not installed.

The solution is keep your drop curtain on with the center section unzipped. Works like a charm and you'll be looking for shorts and a T-shirt in no time, seriously!

If you dont have a drop curtain or dont want it installed, figure out which way the wind is swirling under the top and turn the heaters back towards it.

Both of these work for me. If the wind is to strong you will need your drop curtain.

Last edited by Playtime; 01-28-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Playtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
di choi
Steelhead

Understand about the drop curtain. It is down with one side unzipped. The flame would flicker on the smaller unit when underway. If the curtain was up, it would blow out. That's to be expected. However, the big unit would go out for no apparent reason. Again, even on anchor with no wind.
I know about the t-shirt and shorts. I undressed at one time when the wind and rain was blowing sideways and was freezing out. We waited to come along side a guide boat with six misesrable clients when I walked out with a cup of coffee and asked how fishing was. Boy, they were p......d.
I thought it was pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime View Post
I have had the same problems with the smaller version. My issue is the wind that swirls under the my top when the drop curtain is not installed.

The solution is keep your drop curtain on with the center section unzipped. Works like a charm and you'll be looking for shorts and a T-shirt in no time, seriously!

If you dont have a drop curtain or dont want it installed, figure out which way the wind is swirling under the top and turn the heaters back towards it.

Both of these work with me. If the wind is to strong you will need your drop curtain.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Playtime
Chromer

I know about the t-shirt and shorts. I undressed at one time when the wind and rain was blowing sideways and was freezing out. We waited to come along side a guide boat with six misesrable clients when I walked out with a cup of coffee and asked how fishing was. Boy, they were p......d.
I thought it was pretty funny.[/QUOTE]

Have something similar to an open sled!
Playtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Rubber Robin

NW Domer,

Thanks for your post. I will be visiting Bi-Mart soon to get the Century heater. I have been doing some on-line research and that one sounds like the ticket for use in the wind.
Member of NW Steelheaders.
CCA Oregon member.
Rubber Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
TheCamel
Tuna!

What kind of a cylinder are you using? I have the original Mr. Buddy that I use a 1Gal or 5Gal cylinder for propane. For some reason it will not work unless the fuel filter is installed. I don't need the filter because the hose is designed to not leach off contaminating oil. I took the unit apart several times due to not working, but since I have installed the filter, it works all the time. You can get the fuel filter at Bi-Mart.

In my best Steven Wright imitation: How come Cowboys and Cowgirls don't become Cowmen and Cowwomen?
TheCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
di choi
Steelhead

I think the filter is the key. Insurance if not anything else.
Thanks guys for the help,
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamel View Post
What kind of a cylinder are you using? I have the original Mr. Buddy that I use a 1Gal or 5Gal cylinder for propane. For some reason it will not work unless the fuel filter is installed. I don't need the filter because the hose is designed to not leach off contaminating oil. I took the unit apart several times due to not working, but since I have installed the filter, it works all the time. You can get the fuel filter at Bi-Mart.