.223 Reloads not properly chambering - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!

Default .223 Reloads not properly chambering

The rifle is a Howa Ranchhand in .223.

Loaded up 50rnds of 55GR V-maxs with once shot cases, a couple mixed brands of brass, but mostly REM.
Everything is within .010-.020 in specs for case OAL, so no cases were trimmed or needed to be trimmed. C.O.L is in spec.

Problem is, when I go to feed a round into the chamber I can not close the bolt, or more of, it is extremely stiff to do it. I have about 12rnds that feed fine, no problems what so ever. I have measured the case body's and everything, nothing is out of spec. I marked a case with a sharpie, full case including neck and it shows no unusual markings.

I have measured the cases that feed fine, and my other reloads, everything is pretty close to the same measurement.... I am stump on what the problem is, Ive tried a different cramp on them and it doesn't do anything, so now I am lost on what the problem is.

So, help please?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
pharmseller
King Salmon

Default Re: .223 Reloads not properly chambering

Did you full-length resize the cases or just push the shoulder back?

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Creeping Death
Steelhead

Is it possible that some of your cases are dirty, ie have some case lube on them, or you have some case lube gunked up in ur chamber? Try cleaning ur chamber well with a brush and solvent/cleaner. This happened to me once and caused problems like you describe.
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Did you full-length resize the cases or just push the shoulder back?

P
I re-sized the whole case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
Is it possible that some of your cases are dirty, ie have some case lube on them, or you have some case lube gunked up in ur chamber? Try cleaning ur chamber well with a brush and solvent/cleaner. This happened to me once and caused problems like you describe.
Didnt think of this, ill clean the gun and see if it helps.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

Sort of sounds to me like a bullet seating problem. Look at one that doesn't go. Around the bullet where the ogive is. If they are hitting the lands they will leave little scratch marks around the bullet every where the bullet contact's the lands. Lot of guy like to color the bullet black for than, felt tip pen will work.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Sometimes the primers are not seated enough?
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
fishnowhuntlater
Chromer

I am not an expert by far but ran into this same problem with my 223 it was new and doing this with factory ammo so i sent it into a gunsmith to have the chamber rehoned i think they buffed the chamber shoulder down...

I have also had this problem when reloading and my problem was not lubing the inside of the case enough and the full length die pulled the shoulder out a bit making it very hard to close the bolt ...... you may already be doing it but it really helped me to lube the inside better with a q tip Thanks again (baltz) for solving this issue for me....
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Sort of sounds to me like a bullet seating problem. Look at one that doesn't go. Around the bullet where the ogive is. If they are hitting the lands they will leave little scratch marks around the bullet every where the bullet contact's the lands. Lot of guy like to color the bullet black for than, felt tip pen will work.
Seating depth is fine, tried the sharpie and showed no marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathunter1 View Post
Sometimes the primers are not seated enough?
Primers are seated, non of them are sticking out at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnowhuntlater View Post
I am not an expert by far but ran into this same problem with my 223 it was new and doing this with factory ammo so i sent it into a gunsmith to have the chamber rehoned i think they buffed the chamber shoulder down...

I have also had this problem when reloading and my problem was not lubing the inside of the case enough and the full length die pulled the shoulder out a bit making it very hard to close the bolt ...... you may already be doing it but it really helped me to lube the inside better with a q tip Thanks again (baltz) for solving this issue for me....
When I have lubed the cases I have lubed the inside too, not sure if I have done a lot or not, but I have not.

If the gun had to be re-honed, would it not be doing it with all rounds I feed into the gun? I have about 50 of reloads that feed fine, and have shot about another 50 rnds of reloads through the gun and have never had a problem.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
westrnhuntr
Steelhead

It sounds like you may need to seat your bullets a little deeper. I have had that issue with reloaded cartridges in the past! measure the length of a factory loaded cartridge that chambers and start your seating depth there .

Last edited by westrnhuntr; 01-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.
westrnhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Casing wall thickness ?,all same casings?
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Avneng
Chromer

I take it factory rounds chamber with no problems.

Do all 50 rounds not chamber or just some?

Do you have any other brass that you have resized and not loaded? Does it chamber?

When I first started I didn't have the resizing die set correctly. I thought it was resized but the case was to big.

Take your calipers and measure a reload with a factory and verify the dimensions.
Avneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Oregon-Jet
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avneng View Post

When I first started I didn't have the resizing die set correctly. I thought it was resized but the case was to big.
I'd bet that the issue or part of it. Did you fire those once fired out of this rifle or another?
Check and make sure the shoulder is set back far enough. get a case gauge.

Some great tips to check:
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Proper...246-wp7875.htm
Oregon-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Ol' KL
Chromer

I almost guarantee that you are using cases that were fired in a 5.56 not a .223. The shoulder won't be right. You need to buy a small base sizing die.
Ol' KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Soft Plastic
Chromer

Sounds like bullet seating depth to me too. I would pull the bullet from 1 of your reloads and see in the brass alone will chamber. If it does it is seating depth, if it won't it is brass sizing.

"Progress always involves risk; You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first" Frederick Wilcox
Soft Plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
cascaderosey
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' KL View Post
I almost guarantee that you are using cases that were fired in a 5.56 not a .223. The shoulder won't be right. You need to buy a small base sizing die.
I don't now squat but if i was a betting man i would go with what this guy is saying . specialy if you alreasy tried a sharpie to check if you were against lands .
cascaderosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
jonn5335
Tuna!

Quote:
Never had this problem before. An easy way to check would be chambering the resized/trimmed brass before you seat a bullet.

My guess
Too much crimp? I was out shooting with a guy that was having trouble closing the bolt on his reloads. He did'nt trim all of his brass to the same length he just made sure it was all within spec and set up his dies on a short piece of brass resulting in over crimping on the longer cases which bulged the neck not allowing the bolt to close.

If that's not your problem make a chamber length gauge and go from there.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Rusty Psoadman
Steelhead

I had this same issue, with .223. it was definitely the seating depth.
I'll send you a PM.
Rusty Psoadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
baltz526
King Salmon

My opinion: When you resized the brass you did not get it fully resized. With mixed brass when this is the case, some will chamber fine, others with a little effort, some very hard. Different batches of brass spring back after sizing differently. If the die is fully adjusted and it still has the same results, A different shell holder might solve the issue. I have a 22-250 match resizing die that will not adjust down far enought to size cases to fit my 788 22-250. If I use my nonmatch die I have no problems.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
David C
Coho

Was the brass that you reloaded first fired in your chamber?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
Funny the exterior dimensions of the 5.56 and the Remington 223 are identical. The only difference is case web thickness and crimped primer pockets and the pressure specification.

Is your set ring on your sizing die not properly clamped down? The shell holder and sizing die should be the same manufacturer. For full length sizing they should be adjusted to cam over in your press. If the die doesn't meet the shell holder that can be a big problem, especially if the lock ring isn't pinned down.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #21
adobe wall
King Salmon

All the measurements can't be in spec and the bolt not close unless the chamber is dirty, chamber is out of spec..

Back up a bit:

Where did you source the once.fired brass?
If out of your rifle.... and the original ammo was new....you haven't got your reloading dies set up right and are missing whatever is out if spec.

If used brass from other rifles.... you nay not figure it out.

Personally life is a lot easier if you start with new ammo or brass and not reload used brass from unknown sources.

If the chamber is dirty/out of spec...rifle would have issues with factory ammo.
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #22
DirectDrive
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe wall View Post
All the measurements can't be in spec and the bolt not close unless the chamber is dirty, chamber is out of spec..

Back up a bit:

Where did you source the once.fired brass?
If out of your rifle.... and the original ammo was new....you haven't got your reloading dies set up right and are missing whatever is out if spec.

If used brass from other rifles.... you nay not figure it out.

Personally life is a lot easier if you start with new ammo or brass and not reload used brass from unknown sources.

If the chamber is dirty/out of spec...rifle would have issues with factory ammo.
Good info, adobe.

Here are the .223/5.56 chamber differences...
Not recommended to run full power 5.56 ammo in .223 chambers.

My guess is that the OP is attempting to reload "range pick-up" brass fired in various chambers.
I would full length re-size with a small base die or preferably use my or virgin brass.
DirectDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

I'm w/ Adobe, you CAN"T have sized them all correctly and not have them chamber.
And I agree it doesn't matter if your using .223 brass or 5.56mm brass.
I have used both all the time, but never mixed together.

I use a once fired empty from THAT rifle to set my sizing die by.
I partial size and just bump the shoulder. Never an issue.
Not a fan of SB dies (short base sizing dies ment for auto's), although I have them I use std FL dies and partial size.

I do however think that if you are putting a heavy crimp on your reloads that you could alter the sized case demensions and cause some chambering problems.
I personally don't crimp my .223 load that I load for MY rifle, but when I load a generic SAMIII Spec load ment to be used in any .223, I usually use a LEE collet crimp die. It does NOT alter sized demensions no mater how much crimp you apply.
Hunt'nFish
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

I read up above about the slight problem in the shoulder area and could not for the life of me remember what caused that. HnF's post has reminded me of it. If your seater die is not set properly, you will get the mouth of the case into the crimp feature before the bullet is fully seated. That will hang up the the bullet and shove the neck back into the shoulder creating a slight bump in the shoulder that will stop the round from chambering.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Thanks Don, you explanined it better than I did.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!

Late response with no results, awesome right? Anyway, ill be working on the loads this weekend hopefully and get them figured out. Once i get things resolved ill post a response about it. Had some life things come up and haven't been able to mess with my reloading stuff or much of anything else.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Quote:

This was my thought too
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
440cj10
Coho

are you setting your die up so it cams over slightly?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
DAB
King Salmon

Quote:

5.56 and .223 Rem. are the same size.
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote