Property owners - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Default Property owners

Just wondering if anyone knows how to find the owners name of certain properties. I'm in Corvallis and looking to trap some areas but there's land and no houses around, how do I find who owns it??

ducksnbucks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
SRO Greg
Coho

Default Re: Property owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksnbucks9 View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows how to find the owners name of certain properties. I'm in Corvallis and looking to trap some areas but there's land and no houses around, how do I find who owns it??
Assesors office or title company can help you
SRO Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRO Greg View Post
Assesors office or title company can help you
Tried assessors office, said the only thing they had was road systems, thought that was a load, but they never have up any other info
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Jerry Dove

Go back to their office and ask to see maps of that area. It will be broken down into tax lots. If you can pick out the property, get the number on the plot and then is that office is no help go to the county clerks office.
Jerry Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
"blue shark"
Chromer

Go to your county planning department and tell them you need a tax lot map for that area. then the county assessors office to get the tax lot cards for the numbers on your map that you got from the planning department. The tax lot cards will tell you who's owned the property since they've kept records. You have to go down and ask for the info. They wont do it over the phone.
"blue shark" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
SRO Greg
Coho

Quote:
Tried assessors office, said the only thing they had was road systems, thought that was a load, but they never have up any other info
I own a land survey company, send me the info and i will figure it out

Greg
SRO Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Pollock
Coho

You can try this: http://gis.co.benton.or.us/AssessmentMap/index.htm
You can find tax lots in the area of interest and easily identify the owner using the 'Identify' tool (little 'I' icon in the toolbar at the top).

I used similar maps for the Clatstop County in the past to figure out how to get to some holes without trespassing, worked like a charm.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Quiet Riot

Looks like the above poster has you covered. Try googling your counties land ownership map. I've researched a fair amount this way.
http://www.co.columbia.or.us/departm...records-online
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

I don't know the exact addresses but basically I'm just looki g at the areas along hwy 34 and the farm fields on the back roads and also in between Corvallis and the odfw office by Adair village
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Lucky Guy
Ifish Nate

State forestry dept office has current maps for firefighting access, etc. That's the easiest I've found.
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
FrogPond
Sturgeon

Here is an example of how to use the Benton County Assesors GIS mapping from the link posted above.

You need to zoom into the location you are interested in until you see the property lines, then use the identify tool (i in the blue circle) to query the property for ownership.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Lefty
Chromer

Quote:
I don't know the exact addresses but basically I'm just looki g at the areas along hwy 34 and the farm fields on the back roads and also in between Corvallis and the odfw office by Adair village
I live between Corvallis and the ODFW office, and own some of the property. Let me know where you were thinking...chances are I know them.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
NW JET'N
Chromer

Quote:
I love my "Hunting GPS Maps" micro SD card. It is a card you put in your GPS unit that is 1:24k topo maps with property ownership. It is ridiculously accurate too. I have a tiny lot in town and when I fire up the GPS it tells me I am the owner (ok so the bank technically owns it...lol) but it is extremely helpful. Great product. Google "Hunting GPS Maps" and you can read more about it. $99 and it has most counties in Oregon. It is kinda spendy but so would any good detailed topo mapping software be.
No....I am not in any way affiliated with that company but if they read this I hope they give me free stuff.
NW JET'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Green Eyes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW JET'N View Post
I love my "Hunting GPS Maps" micro SD card. It is a card you put in your GPS unit that is 1:24k topo maps with property ownership. It is ridiculously accurate too. I have a tiny lot in town and when I fire up the GPS it tells me I am the owner (ok so the bank technically owns it...lol) but it is extremely helpful. Great product. Google "Hunting GPS Maps" and you can read more about it. $99 and it has most counties in Oregon. It is kinda spendy but so would any good detailed topo mapping software be.
No....I am not in any way affiliated with that company but if they read this I hope they give me free stuff.
My hunting partner pulled his out this season and it is amazing. Accurate for everywhere we went down at the coast as far as ownership, roads, and never lost satelite signals. Soo worth the money!
Green Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
I looked at that the other day but then id have to get a GPS! Do they have something like that for just use on computer?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
nate1982
Chromer

ok everyone here is the GIS tax alottment map for oregon this will have all the tax allotments for each county. from this you should be able to go to your tax accessors website and locate the owner.

http://www.ormap.net/flexviewer/index.html

for instance here is malhuer counties tax accessor website

http://assessor.malheurco.org/

your all welcome for this resource!!!

Last edited by nate1982; 12-28-2012 at 02:22 PM.
nate1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
NW JET'N
Chromer

Quote:
I looked at that the other day but then id have to get a GPS! Do they have something like that for just use on computer?
Yes, they do have maps to download to your computer. You got me to wondering if I put my SD chip into my computer if I can view the info from my computer. I'm guessing so. I'll have to try that tonight. But to answer your question, you can purchase downloads of their maps. You could call them to find out more info too. Nate1982 might have the cheaper answer. Do all counties have websites listing this info???
NW JET'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1982 View Post
ok everyone here is the GIS tax alottment map for oregon this will have all the tax allotments for each county. from this you should be able to go to your tax accessors website and locate the owner.

http://www.ormap.net/flexviewer/index.html

for instance here is malhuer counties tax accessor website

http://assessor.malheurco.org/

your all welcome for this resource!!!
so is the individual property sections the yellow lines? what are the green ones for?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
norms gone fishing too
Tuna!

Quote:
Yes, they do have maps to download to your computer. You got me to wondering if I put my SD chip into my computer if I can view the info from my computer. I'm guessing so. I'll have to try that tonight. But to answer your question, you can purchase downloads of their maps. You could call them to find out more info too. Nate1982 might have the cheaper answer. Do all counties have websites listing this info???
they have directions on there website on how to do that you will need Garmin basemap its a free download i think
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
nate1982
Chromer

Quote:
so is the individual property sections the yellow lines? what are the green ones for?
the tax allotments numbers are the numbers located whithin each section of yellow lines. in each sub-section of map.

green lines are map boundaries while yellow are property boundarys.

so lets say you are lookinh in map 18s4519 and you want to know who own the land lot numbered 100 you should be able to go to your tax website and you can punch in the map number to get a complete list of owners for each property within the map or you can type in the map number with tax number attached for the direct owner.

Last edited by nate1982; 12-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.
nate1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1982 View Post
the tax allotments numbers are the numbers located whithin each section of yellow lines. in each sub-section of map.

green lines are map boundaries while yellow are property boundarys.

so lets say you are lookinh in map 18s4519 and you want to know who own the land lot numbered 100 you should be able to go to your tax website and you can punch in the map number to get a complete list of owners for each property within the map or you can type in the map number with tax number attached for the direct owner.
Ok awesome. Yea that's what I've been doing, benton county i haven't figured out yet, I can't find owners names at all. But this is really handy and is helping a lot. The only thing I'm iffy on is that it shows a field but it's cut in half by yellow lines and has two different owners.

Last edited by ducksnbucks9; 12-28-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Chromer

Quote:
I bought this for my GPS this year and I can tell you it works just as advertised. I used it in an area with private land intermixed with BLM land. It was fantastic. I was able to make sure I was on BLM land.
5420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
nate1982
Chromer

Quote:
Ok awesome. Yea that's what I've been doing, benton county i haven't figured out yet, I can't find owners names at all. But this is really handy and is helping a lot. The only thing I'm iffy on is that it shows a field but it's cut in half by yellow lines and has two different owners.
oh wow malhuers maps and tax numbers are way different the benton countys. your tax assessors website should have instructions.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
greenheadgunner
Chromer

Quote:
There are easier ways to do this than county GIS. The Internet has a million amazing tools...
greenheadgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheadgunner View Post
There are easier ways to do this than county GIS. The Internet has a million amazing tools...
Examples??
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
corvalliscory
Chromer

I have the hunting gps card and gps... Maybe I can help you out? I live in philomath and work in corvallis. Maybe I know you? How old are you? Pm me.
corvalliscory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvalliscory View Post
I have the hunting gps card and gps... Maybe I can help you out? I live in philomath and work in corvallis. Maybe I know you? How old are you? Pm me.
Pm sent
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
crossfox21
Coho

I never had much luck with assesors and plot maps when it comes to finding permission for land to trap on. What works for me is to go to the next neighbor (even if he is 1-3 miles away) and ask what they know. You will be surprised at how much rural folks know who owns what and where they can be found and contacted. Another thing to mention: when you do find the name of the landowner, do your best to contact in person and not on the phone. Landowners really like to size you up before allowing permission to trap...not mention ask a few questions.
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
ducksnbucks9
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfox21 View Post
I never had much luck with assesors and plot maps when it comes to finding permission for land to trap on. What works for me is to go to the next neighbor (even if he is 1-3 miles away) and ask what they know. You will be surprised at how much rural folks know who owns what and where they can be found and contacted. Another thing to mention: when you do find the name of the landowner, do your best to contact in person and not on the phone. Landowners really like to size you up before allowing permission to trap...not mention ask a few questions.
Ya that was my plan, espically the ask in person thing. I will never ask permission to use property over the phone except for people I've known for years.