Dispatching a fish - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Just Drifting
Fry

Default Dispatching a fish

Once a fish is caught and legal to be kept, what is considered the most "ethical" way of dispatching (killing) it?

Just Drifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
chummer
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Dispatching a fish

give it a light crack to the skull to stun it, not kill it! Now take a knife and cut the gills so that it bleeds really well, then put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water (nose down) or else hang it over the side of the boat (no sealions around) and let it bleed out. This crucial for a quality fillet. Now ice it.

Last edited by chummer; 12-12-2012 at 09:25 PM.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
fishgetter
Tuna!

A blunt object to the back of the noggin' aka "wood shampoo"

Other usefull objects for blunt force trauma are: sticks, rocks, thermos, mag lights, pipes, bats, boots, oars,,,,,,,

After a good whack, i cut the gills and hang upside down to bleed out!
fishgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
give it a light crack to the skull to stun it, not kill it! Now take a knife and cut the gills so that it bleeds really well, then put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water (nose down) or else hang it over the side of the boat (no sealions around) and let it bleed out. This crucial for a quality fillet. Now ice it.
I also add a little moment of thanks to the animal as a show of respect for its sacrifice. This is crucial to the quality of soul of every fisherman or hunter.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
The Likes
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandsandpiper View Post
I also add a little moment of thanks to the animal as a show of respect for its sacrifice. This is crucial to the quality of soul of every fisherman or hunter.
I love this, thank you!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
need to fish
Chromer

i like to give it a k/o punch a couple times then bleed it
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Swifty27
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgetter View Post
A blunt object to the back of the noggin' aka "wood shampoo"

Other usefull objects for blunt force trauma are: sticks, rocks, thermos, mag lights, pipes, bats, boots, oars,,,,,,,
I'd add coffee cup to the list, but be prepared for the consequences. They call them steelhead for a reason.

I haven't had as much luck with cutting gills, so I go across the through and get the main artery running up to the gills.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
ccw
Sturgeon

I whack 'em with a custom club with 40 years of fish-killing-karma made for a Trout Unlimited fundraiser by a local Mercer Island sockeye expert named Dave Paden back in the mid-seventies. Dave killed more fish than most with his wife in their small, open aluminum boat with black dog adornment. Then I tie them off, cut gills/bleed over the side and clean then ice a few minutes later. C.W.

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)

Last edited by ccw; 12-13-2012 at 06:20 AM.
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Buddy's buddy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Drifting View Post
Once a fish is caught and legal to be kept, what is considered the most "ethical" way of dispatching (killing) it?
bonk and cut gills
Buddy's buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
flywrapper
Chromer

I've heard the most ethical way is to put the fish to "sleep" by icing it, then bleeding........ That or the tuna brain spike.
flywrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
jspansel
Steelhead

Bonk and bleed.
jspansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
BlackBass
Ifish Nate

cut gills then bonk. I like them fresh and lively while pumping blood out. I never much took the time to worry about how the fish was feeling. Call me a caveman but after sticking a hook into its face , and battling the fish near exhaustion really is there ethics involved in the killing of said fish?
BlackBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Artwo
King Salmon

A quick "wood shampoo" then bleed...............
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
NF122
Tuna!

Dont foget the "hell yeah" high five to let everyone know you got um. I also like to take a second to thank the fish gods.
NF122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
Memaloose
Steelhead

I really like the replay of giving thanks to the fish for his sacrafice
I think if builds good Karma.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
Mooch
Tuna!

Don't use a fillet knife to bonk one. My buddy happens to have an IQ a bit lower than average.

He grabbed a brand new fillet knife by the blade and tried to bonk a coho.

Realized he had cut the hell out of his fingers and then dunked his hand in the saltwater to wash off the blood.

An hour run back to the dock and 12 stitches later he was good as new.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Nor Cal Drifter
Tuna!

Curious why everyone bonks, then bleeds? Seems skipping the bonking and just cutting the gills and letting them bleed would allow more blood to pump out. Ethically, seems equal to me. You're either whacking them on the head with a blunt object, which has to hurt and it doesn't always do the complete job on the first bonk, or you slice their gills and they just kind go to sleep as the blood pumps out.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
ChezJfrey
Chromer

What about the Ed Fast 'punch to the noggin'? I always smile when I watch a video of his technique...who needs a tool implement when you've got fists of fury? LOL
ChezJfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
bradly11
Sturgeon

.44mag to the head bonks an bleeds all in one
bradly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
JDarr

Any port in a storm....

JD
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
crobarr
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post
Curious why everyone bonks, then bleeds? Seems skipping the bonking and just cutting the gills and letting them bleed would allow more blood to pump out. Ethically, seems equal to me. You're either whacking them on the head with a blunt object, which has to hurt and it doesn't always do the complete job on the first bonk, or you slice their gills and they just kind go to sleep as the blood pumps out.
i've both seen and had to do the "get back here fishy!" shuffle more than once........... even after a good bonk and cutting the artery to the gills....i'm talking 10 minutes after i bonked/bled the fish, had it written down on my tag, calmed down enough to start fishing again......mr. steelhead gives a mighty flop or 2 and is in the water....... i've seen guys bleed their fish and lay it 15' up the bank. i looked over and hollered just as the fish was at the edge of the water.....the 1 that got away....

placed just right and you can break the spine if you do it right... this causes quite a bit of damage to the meat, so i've always avoided this method. it does however have an INSTANT calming affect aside from some quivering.

now i try to bonk, bleed and then attach my fish carrier to both the fish AND around a sapling. my buddy looks like the fish owes him a LOT of $$$$$ when he bonks them now (he's the one who lost the fish)......

i'd go into my "dispatch the catfish" stories, but there are children, women and weak stomached men present here.........
crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
William
Steelhead

Using blunt force head trauma for dispatching a fish, especially the anadramous variety ie.. steelhead, salmon and sea-run cutts. Causes the brain to sends an unneeded flood of foul tasting amino acids into the blood stream and lastly into the meat. My method of killing is a sharp knife point to the back of the skull, where it meets the shoulders, then bleed out. Without ruining the meat. Other fish biologists would agree, so in my boat there is NO BONKING whatso ever. Try it and tell me if you notice a better less tinny foul taste to your fish.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
FishOnShawn
Chromer

everyone seems to have a diff opinion on this, i do recall seeing a vid where a guy killed a fish then cuts its heart out and it was still pumping so to those that say dont kill before bleeding i think are just a bit picky...that being said i bonk mine to stun them then bleed and hold upside down by the tail for a min. after that i attach to a giant carabinar as soon as possible and tie off to a tree. as mentioned above i have bonked, bled and smashed the crap out of a steelies skull to only have it flopping back toward the water 10 mins later. what ever your preferance is i suggest tying it off to someting.
FishOnShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
long_shot
Ifish Nate

I stab them in the heart with a sharp fillet knife, then place them head down in a bleed bucket. Once all the rods are back out and fishing I then gut and gill the fish and put it straight into a cooler with ice and salt water. No bonking allowed on my boat.
long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
jblaze
Steelhead

start bleeding it & then toss the shampoo to a 3yr old.
jblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
Nor Cal Drifter
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobarr View Post
i've both seen and had to do the "get back here fishy!" shuffle more than once........... even after a good bonk and cutting the artery to the gills....i'm talking 10 minutes after i bonked/bled the fish, had it written down on my tag, calmed down enough to start fishing again......mr. steelhead gives a mighty flop or 2 and is in the water....... i've seen guys bleed their fish and lay it 15' up the bank. i looked over and hollered just as the fish was at the edge of the water.....the 1 that got away....

placed just right and you can break the spine if you do it right... this causes quite a bit of damage to the meat, so i've always avoided this method. it does however have an INSTANT calming affect aside from some quivering.

now i try to bonk, bleed and then attach my fish carrier to both the fish AND around a sapling. my buddy looks like the fish owes him a LOT of $$$$$ when he bonks them now (he's the one who lost the fish)......

i'd go into my "dispatch the catfish" stories, but there are children, women and weak stomached men present here.........
Gotta put 'em on the stringer BEFORE you cut the gills. Current helps them bleed out faster/more efficiently.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
lostbackpacker
Tuna!

At least the business end of the gun isnt pointed down towards the hull!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarr View Post
Any port in a storm....

JD
lostbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #28
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I don't bonk. If you get 'em bleeding good, they settle down in around 15 seconds. There are some fish that don't bleed very well. When fishing out of the boat, I cut 'em while they're in the net and in the water.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
LuckyStrike
Chromer

Quote:
NorCal, I think as crobar says, trying to use a sharp instrument around a wiggling fish can be risky.

I have always bonked (not dead) and then bled. I have a caribeener (SP?) with a 10 foot rope spliced onto it. Clip through the gills and then hang over the side in the current.

LuckyStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
team anarchy
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbackpacker View Post
At least the business end of the gun isnt pointed down towards the hull!!!
Looks like it's pointed towards his Xmas ornaments.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
chummer
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Because trying to cut a still thrashing around fish is a recipe for a short trip to tend to a filleted hand. You want to bonk it hard enough to stun it and cease the flopping around. If you bonk it and kill it, the heart stops pumping and leads to inefficient bleeding, then the only thing you have is gravity bleeding the fish, I'd much rather have that heart do the work.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
benman37
Coho

A firm & proper backhand will get the job done while leaving your companions awestruck and dazed with wonder.
benman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #33
xdog
Tuna!

Thumbs up Re: Dispatching a fish

.410 shotgun, top of the head, #6 steel shot, bang! No need to bleed gills with this method.

Nuff Said.

xdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
Sturgeon Anonymous
Cutthroat

He said ethical so i call in a priest say a prayer strap it to the cutting board and threw the soft spot behind the head i gave it a lethal injection of everclear then bleed. If fish did not die from injection it is drunk and does not really care you just cut its gills out.
Sturgeon Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #35
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Because trying to cut a still thrashing around fish is a recipe for a short trip to tend to a filleted hand. You want to bonk it hard enough to stun it and cease the flopping around. If you bonk it and kill it, the heart stops pumping and leads to inefficient bleeding, then the only thing you have is gravity bleeding the fish, I'd much rather have that heart do the work.
I don't use a knife, grab a hand full of gills and turn counter clockwise and give it a hard shake, done deal. usually time for a new pair of nitriles after that, but its nice to tag your fish with clean, bare hands anyways
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #36
a12seccrx
Tuna!

We're gonna need a bigger rock!!!

a12seccrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #37
finnedwonder
Chromer

Hold it over your head and holler as loud as u can while ur friend tries to cut the gills. Make sure to eat the heart to appease the spirits.
Isnt this how its supposed to be done!?

finnedwonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #38
WA607
Chromer

I wonder if the grizzly bears meet in the woods to discuss the best way to finish us off?
WA607 is offline   Reply With Quote