Why No Crossbows in Oregon? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Just curious - and hoping I'm not opening a can of worms here - what is the logic behind not allowing hunting with a crossbow in Oregon? There are a lot of other states that allow hunting with crossbows during bow season. Just curious about rationale.

Also, is there anything in Oregon that you CAN hunt with a crossbow?

__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
MulieMike
Chromer
 
MulieMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 954
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Main reason from what i understand is because Oregon wants to keep it more "traditional". the new bows are far from "traditional" but you do still have to draw and hold your bow with your own strength. With the crossbow you can walk around at "full draw" all day. You could even use a stump or other object for a rest to shoot from just as you would with a rifle.....just my so take if for what its worth.
MulieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
ricochet
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Molalla
Posts: 534
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

As far as "traditional" I believe cross bows have been around since "Robin Hood" - But I'm all for a season using them. I believe it could open a opportunity for true handicap hunters possibly during archery season plus it would help the bow shops with sales.
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
StickFish
King Salmon
 
StickFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon
Posts: 15,401
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

You can use a cross bow during rifle season
__________________
Picked a bad year to quit sniffing glue
StickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
SouthernCharm
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Walton/Lakeside
Posts: 1,024
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Generally speaking, Oregon doesn't bond well together as "Sportsman", we are very divided. One thinks that another has an advantage instead of allowing anyone to enjoy the outdoors, for example. Let someone take an animal in their own way. I could care less that Jane uses a 50 cal and kills that elk at 10,000 yards while Tarzan jumps out of a tree with a "Rage" broadhead. Just do some searches on this website and you will see very heated debates about "holding a fish in a pic to lighted nocks." Sad that "we" can't help each other more and be supportive of each other. If we did, you could hunt bear with dogs, etc...
SouthernCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
snag32
Chromer
 
snag32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eugene
Posts: 863
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Crossbows are more like a gun than a bow in that you don't hold the string at full draw. They have triggers that you have to cock and a rifle stock. this allows the shooter to hold indefinitely at full let off! They don't shoot arrows, they shoot "bolts". They shouldn't have a place in the archery world. Does this look anything like a bow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big%20rhino%20-%20cocked%20-full.jpg (14.3 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by snag32; 11-19-2012 at 08:19 AM.
snag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Blackbeardown
Tuna!
 
Blackbeardown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wallowa
Posts: 1,177
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag32 View Post
Crossbows are more like a gun than a bow in that you don't hold the string at full draw. They have triggers that you have to cock and a rifle stock. this allows the shooter to hold indefinitely at full let off! They don't shoot arrows, they shoot "bolts". They shouldn't have a place in the archery world. Does this look anything like a bow?
Why yes...yes it does look something like a bow.
Blackbeardown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag32 View Post
Crossbows are more like a gun than a bow in that you don't hold the string at full draw. They have triggers that you have to cock and a rifle stock. this allows the shooter to hold indefinitely at full let off! They don't shoot arrows, they shoot "bolts". They shouldn't have a place in the archery world. Does this look anything like a bow?
So...archery shops shouldn't sell or service crossbows? I would say that a crossbow equally resembles both a rifle and a bow....but that's just me and my expired prescription lenses. Regardless, I'm not sure how your response fits my question regarding the rationale of not allowing crossbows in Oregon.

And, Ted, can you point me to the regs that indicate crossbows are allowed during rifle season? I have not seen that.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate
 
Sunnygx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Salem, Or
Posts: 2,508
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

I think it would be cool to allow handicapped hunters to use a crossbow during bow season.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
trout bum
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 108
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

My old torn up, arthritic shoulder sure would enjoy something not beating it up anymore.
trout bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
StickFish
King Salmon
 
StickFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon
Posts: 15,401
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromaflage View Post
So...archery shops shouldn't sell or service crossbows? I would say that a crossbow equally resembles both a rifle and a bow....but that's just me and my expired prescription lenses. Regardless, I'm not sure how your response fits my question regarding the rationale of not allowing crossbows in Oregon.

And, Ted, can you point me to the regs that indicate crossbows are allowed during rifle season? I have not seen that.
I know they used to be allowed, but look like that might have changed. I remember we considered one at one point but that was back when I used to hunt out in your neck of the woods in the 90's

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/co...Minutes_01.pdf

In the 2012 regs there are only two references to crossbows and they are prohibited. I checked some old copies back to 2005 and they were prohibited at that time.
__________________
Picked a bad year to quit sniffing glue
StickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate
 
QH's Paw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goble,OR
Posts: 2,548
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

I think I would group crossbows more in the muzzle loader category rather than bows.
__________________
Save a salmonid, shoot a sawbill.
QH's Paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Beau hunt
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 411
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QH's Paw View Post
I think I would group crossbows more in the muzzle loader category rather than bows.
I agree 100 percent. I know a guy that uses them down south on whitetail and I hear the 100 yard shot story's all the time. I don't like that. Let people use them in muzzle loader season or if they are handy cap to the point they can not shoot a bow.
Beau hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
ducksnbucks9
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corvallis
Posts: 518
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Ok so my father would love to bow hunt but cannot because of a paralyzed left arm. Shouldn't everyone and anyone be allowed to hunt any season they please? That would be his only opportunity to hunt elk in rut in Oregon. I think it should be for disabled persons, that have something restricting them from pulling a bow back like they are. As for the 100 yard shot deal, I know people who shoot 800 yards with a rifle, maybe I find that unethical maybe not. I also know people who can shoot a compound bow at 80-90 yards consistantly and with good groups. Either way, if you don't like the range the person shoots at then don't listen to the story. But they are not a rifle in anyway shape or form. They should not be used in rifle season, or ml season. Yes they have a trigger but so does your bow release, so that is a very stupid arguement.
ducksnbucks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Crayfin
Ifish Nate
 
Crayfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 3,412
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

There is also the argument that I have seen more than 1 archer that only had one arm..... There are ways to darn near about anything if you want it bad enough. That being said...I would not be opposed to a handicap permit that allowed it during archery season...
__________________
You dont get if you dont ask!!
TV Chapter NW Steelheaders/CCA
Team Brown Dawg!!
Crayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
xdog
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bow Washington
Posts: 1,111
Thumbs up Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Might be the fact that Crossbows Suck.

xdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
silvies
Steelhead
 
silvies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 110
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post
You can use a cross bow during rifle season
I am not positive but I believe they are not legal at all to hunt with. You may want to double check on that but it is what I have heard.
silvies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
GoatHunter
Steelhead
 
GoatHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gaston, OR
Posts: 288
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

I think the bottom line is, crossbows don't have any political "pull"....archery groups see crossbows as too mechanized, too gun-like, so they vote to keep them out. As an archer, I don't see any problem making crossbows legal during rifle season.
__________________
Follow the madness: http://goathunter.wordpress.com
GoatHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Deer Island, Or.
Posts: 2,315
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

I agree with any weapon to take your animal in the one season that allows all weapons at the same time. If archery hunters had to hunt and compete with rifle hunters then you would see 99% of all archery hunters go to rifles. I for one am not a fan of an aditional weapon in the woods right now we have youth hunts strating in Aug, Sept archery, oct rifle 1st season, nov 2nd season and some more archcery, late season archery, cow season rifle. So by now we are into December and the elk have been runnign for there lives since August deer also, do they have any fat reserves built up to hold them over through the winter. Add couger since nobody wants us to kill them anymore and then lets bring in a few packs of wolves its a wonder we have a single elk left anywhere. Lets don't even think about what the tribes do whereever and whenever they want.

I do more than my part for elk conservation I duck hunt and enjoy no crowds while the elk season is going on that is why I love elk season so much. Who thinks they will kill the last elk in the world? MAybe we can start a pool as to when and where and who gets it.

Just stirring the pot
__________________
Danny Neal
Delta Waterfowl Sponser member #38
Deer Island OR.
Capin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
mitch1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean and coast range.
Posts: 1,324
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capin' Dan View Post
I agree with any weapon to take your animal in the one season that allows all weapons at the same time. If archery hunters had to hunt and compete with rifle hunters then you would see 99% of all archery hunters go to rifles. I for one am not a fan of an aditional weapon in the woods right now we have youth hunts strating in Aug, Sept archery, oct rifle 1st season, nov 2nd season and some more archcery, late season archery, cow season rifle. So by now we are into December and the elk have been runnign for there lives since August deer also, do they have any fat reserves built up to hold them over through the winter. Add couger since nobody wants us to kill them anymore and then lets bring in a few packs of wolves its a wonder we have a single elk left anywhere. Lets don't even think about what the tribes do whereever and whenever they want.

I do more than my part for elk conservation I duck hunt and enjoy no crowds while the elk season is going on that is why I love elk season so much. Who thinks they will kill the last elk in the world? MAybe we can start a pool as to when and where and who gets it.

Just stirring the pot
At least your honest about "stirring the pot". Because duck hunting isn't doing anything for elk conservation!!
__________________
Semper Fi!
mitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
nehalemguy
Sturgeon
 
nehalemguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernonia
Posts: 4,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post
You can use a cross bow during rifle season
Incorrect for game mammals but the regs say nothing about use on non game and predatory animals. Yotes would be ok!

OAR 635-065-0725
Other Weapons:

"It is unlawful to hunt game mammals with a crossbow or any weapon other than those rifles, handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, and bows authorized."
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
Elkslayer53
Coho
 
Elkslayer53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
Generally speaking, Oregon doesn't bond well together as "Sportsman", we are very divided. One thinks that another has an advantage instead of allowing anyone to enjoy the outdoors, for example. Let someone take an animal in their own way. I could care less that Jane uses a 50 cal and kills that elk at 10,000 yards while Tarzan jumps out of a tree with a "Rage" broadhead. Just do some searches on this website and you will see very heated debates about "holding a fish in a pic to lighted nocks." Sad that "we" can't help each other more and be supportive of each other. If we did, you could hunt bear with dogs, etc...
I absolutely could not agree more !!!....I've hunted Idaho, Montana , Wyoming and Colorado along with Oregon and Washington (my home states)....in my opinion Oregon and Washington are THE most sportsman unfriendly states west of the Mississippi, it's pretty sad when I can travel 1600 miles for less money and better success rates than my neighboring state that is literally 2 miles from my house
Elkslayer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvies View Post
I am not positive but I believe they are not legal at all to hunt with. You may want to double check on that but it is what I have heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalemguy View Post
Incorrect.

OAR 635-065-0725
Other Weapons:

"It is unlawful to hunt game mammals with a crossbow or any weapon other than those rifles, handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, and bows authorized."
Guys, Stickfish corrected his original post....please read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post
I know they used to be allowed, but look like that might have changed. I remember we considered one at one point but that was back when I used to hunt out in your neck of the woods in the 90's

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/co...Minutes_01.pdf

In the 2012 regs there are only two references to crossbows and they are prohibited. I checked some old copies back to 2005 and they were prohibited at that time.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
SILVERSINK
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tigard Ore
Posts: 1,669
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag32 View Post
Crossbows are more like a gun than a bow in that you don't hold the string at full draw. They have triggers that you have to cock and a rifle stock. this allows the shooter to hold indefinitely at full let off! They don't shoot arrows, they shoot "bolts". They shouldn't have a place in the archery world. Does this look anything like a bow?
Ya it does
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
Rank Amateur
King Salmon
 
Rank Amateur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vernonia Or.
Posts: 12,438
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

I could see sticking them in with the rifle hunts, but making special hunts for individual weapons has become a major problem in our state. You see it all the time on here, person hunts one season, then when another season comes along they are dragging everybody they know into the woods to kill more animals. We wonder why it gets crowded out in the woods at time, heck probably 25% of the people don't have a tag, but are helpers. So I say no to a separate hunt, we have reached our limit.
__________________
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass without consideration."- Izaak Walton

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #26
snag32
Chromer
 
snag32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eugene
Posts: 863
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

"In a crossbow, the limbs of the bow, called a prod, are attached at right angles to a crosspiece or stock in order to allow for mechanical pulling and holding of the string. The mechanism that holds the drawn string has a release or trigger, that allows the string to be released. A crossbow shoots a "bolt" rather than an arrow".

NOT a bow. Pretty simple. But for various reasons some would like to take an easier route in the bow season and allow this item into the archery realm. It is simply not a bow and so it shouldn't be in the bow season.
snag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
ducksnbucks9
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corvallis
Posts: 518
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag32 View Post
"In a crossbow, the limbs of the bow, called a prod, are attached at right angles to a crosspiece or stock in order to allow for mechanical pulling and holding of the string. The mechanism that holds the drawn string has a release or trigger, that allows the string to be released. A crossbow shoots a "bolt" rather than an arrow".

NOT a bow. Pretty simple. But for various reasons some would like to take an easier route in the bow season and allow this item into the archery realm. It is simply not a bow and so it shouldn't be in the bow season.
Then why do they call them crossBOWS? Just wondering. I mean they have limbs, but are called prods. They look pretty idenditical, they have cams, string, serving shoots a carbon projectile with a broadhead and fletchings and nock...But they aren't a bow... Makes total sense... Not. Someone please give me a good reason why those who are disabled and are unable to draw and hold a bow back because of a disability should not be able to use this. I mean that would include some veterans who have lost limbs due to war, are you gonna tell them to f-n bad?! I really can't wait to hear responses to that.
ducksnbucks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
Pueblo
Steelhead
 
Pueblo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Camas, WA
Posts: 247
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

A perspective from someone who's hunted here parts of 5 decades: Growing up in Oregon I thought that we had a clearer picture of right vs wrong, fair vs unfair, etc. than most places. This of course is just conceit, but whether we were dealing with clean public beaches or imported California beer, we knew we had something special in this state and that our attitude about these things kept Oregon special. When other states began to allow crossbows at all, let alone during bow season, it seemed to me and many Oregon outdoorsmen that this was a perversion of sorts. Crossbows are a favorite tool of poachers. These same places that first allowed crossbows are often the same ones that allow all manner of electronics on bows and often are the same ones that allow scopes and breach-loading for blackpowder. Too many lines are crossed and you might as well just have a free-for-all. If you must, allow them during the general season. I still think Oregon is different and better than this....and I'll add that we do not have a deer overpopulation problem like many of these loosey-goosey states where they're quite happy if a few folks bag 3 or more deer in a year. If someone really has an inability to shoot a bow, maybe we need a special permit for special cases, or they can just go buy a Remington Model 700 in .243 cal and hunt the general season like most people do.

I see this whole discussion as a sign that the influx of new people over the last few decades has effected the culture of the state and not in a good way. I guess this is just human nature and that I have become a relic. Crossbows during bow season repulse me....just as I'm sure that my Compound Bow repulses many Traditional shooters.
__________________
Muley Bowhunter trapped by career in Camas,WA
Pueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
myers82
Chromer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: west salem
Posts: 827
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

We should start a petition to allow individuals with severe disabilities to be allowed to use a crossbow! Want to keep it "traditional" dont use camo, no guns, no compound bows (very mechanical btw!) Use only recurve bows and sticks and stones. Traditional hunting please... What a joke with all the new technology being used today.
myers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
SouthernCharm
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Walton/Lakeside
Posts: 1,024
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo View Post
A perspective from someone who's hunted here parts of 5 decades: Growing up in Oregon I thought that we had a clearer picture of right vs wrong, fair vs unfair, etc. than most places. This of course is just conceit, but whether we were dealing with clean public beaches or imported California beer, we knew we had something special in this state and that our attitude about these things kept Oregon special. When other states began to allow crossbows at all, let alone during bow season, it seemed to me and many Oregon outdoorsmen that this was a perversion of sorts. Crossbows are a favorite tool of poachers. These same places that first allowed crossbows are often the same ones that allow all manner of electronics on bows and often are the same ones that allow scopes and breach-loading for blackpowder. Too many lines are crossed and you might as well just have a free-for-all. If you must, allow them during the general season. I still think Oregon is different and better than this....and I'll add that we do not have a deer overpopulation problem like many of these loosey-goosey states where they're quite happy if a few folks bag 3 or more deer in a year. If someone really has an inability to shoot a bow, maybe we need a special permit for special cases, or they can just go buy a Remington Model 700 in .243 cal and hunt the general season like most people do.

I see this whole discussion as a sign that the influx of new people over the last few decades has effected the culture of the state and not in a good way. I guess this is just human nature and that I have become a relic. Crossbows during bow season repulse me....just as I'm sure that my Compound Bow repulses many Traditional shooters.


Thank You for emphasizing why Sportsman don't get along in Oregon. My understanding of your statement is that you are deciding what's "fair". Who cares how you kill you animal, we should be enjoying the hunt "together". Again, sorry that we can't get along as sportsman and respect each other wishes and views. I'll be out archery hunting in my Red, White and Blue suit if that's not outlawed next year
SouthernCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
snag32
Chromer
 
snag32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eugene
Posts: 863
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Agreed Pueblo, some what to "cross the line". If we were overrun with deer like some states back east it wouldn't make much difference I guess. But if the success rate goes up and the number of hunters who hunt the archery season goes up because of the easier learning curve of using a crossbow the archery season will change...and not the the good.

A bow is held in on hand vertically and you pull a string back to hold at an anchor point. No gun stock or trigger, no full let off.....really pretty easy to see the difference between a crossbow and a bow.
snag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #32
mitch1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean and coast range.
Posts: 1,324
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

No where in the regs does it state that Oregon is to be a "cave man" hunting state!? It seems like some want it this way only if it fits their agenda and they can use the weapon they want. This topic isn't about crossbow use its about what "I" want to use and what "I don't" want you to use. The day we decide to be one is the day the hunting will start to improve.
__________________
Semper Fi!
mitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #33
Pueblo
Steelhead
 
Pueblo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Camas, WA
Posts: 247
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Fairness; Right and Wrong; etc. are all about one's attitude and biases. My perspective and biases came from an Oregon that existed 40 or 50 years ago, and even then weren't universally held. Part of why we have 50 states is so that each can express it's own version of it's biases in the form of laws. I've always believed that Oregon was not Crossbow friendly. I may be wrong. I would not "dislike" a crossbow hunter, but I do dislike crossbows.
__________________
Muley Bowhunter trapped by career in Camas,WA
Pueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
aquaman1084
Cutthroat
 
aquaman1084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 44
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

If you can't pull a bow you should not be hunting during bow season. Bow hunters are given a better season to make up for the greater difficulty of their weapon of choice. If a person has a disability that precludes them from bow hunting they should pick up a rifle and hunt during that season.
aquaman1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #35
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

I'm curious - why would Oregon not be crossbow friendly? I can almost see the purist archer side of it - very similar to the purist fly fishermen who are opposed to strike indicators and split shot. But as a legal means of harvesting game, I still fail to see the ethical dilemma. You would still be launching a projectile at high enough velocity to cleanly kill an animal with good shot placement. It certainly can't be a position of traditionalism, given that compound bows (which weren't developed and marketed until 1967) have become extremely high tech. Likewise, today's rifles and optics are far superior to what they were 50 years ago. If it's purely traditionalism, then we may as well go back to the spear chucking days.

Throughout this entire discussion, I've read a lot of personal opinions about not liking crossbows for "ethical" or traditional reasons, allowing them for disabled hunters, etc. But I have yet to read a good rational argument against them. I seem to be missing something here.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #36
Crick_Camo
Steelhead
 
Crick_Camo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 247
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksnbucks9 View Post
Ok so my father would love to bow hunt but cannot because of a paralyzed left arm. Shouldn't everyone and anyone be allowed to hunt any season they please? That would be his only opportunity to hunt elk in rut in Oregon. I think it should be for disabled persons, that have something restricting them from pulling a bow back like they are. As for the 100 yard shot deal, I know people who shoot 800 yards with a rifle, maybe I find that unethical maybe not. I also know people who can shoot a compound bow at 80-90 yards consistantly and with good groups. Either way, if you don't like the range the person shoots at then don't listen to the story. But they are not a rifle in anyway shape or form. They should not be used in rifle season, or ml season. Yes they have a trigger but so does your bow release, so that is a very stupid arguement.

WOW........
Crick_Camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
chukardave1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bend
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

If we had deer/elk populations like they do in many states east of here then I would say go for it. We can't maintain what we have now. Pops dwindling every year. We get our $h--stuff together and manage our wildlife properly then I would be open to it. Until then I don't think we need to try and find more ways to kill big game animals here in OR. My
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #38
Rocklock
Chromer
 
Rocklock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 605
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Dug this up from 2010. Basically, lots of testimony against them, none for them.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/co...Minutes_01.pdf
__________________
"Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert."
Rocklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

For the sake of discussion, not being inflammatory, based on the population argument, I have questions.

1. Do you think that allowing crossbows would increase the number of hunters? I wouldn't think it would by a whole lot.

2. How efficient are crossbows, in terms of hunter success, compared to traditional/compound bows, rifles and muzzle loaders?

3. In general, Oregon hunters must select the method of harvest - bow, rifle, muzzle loader - before the hunt begins. I'm wondering if crossbows were allowed how many people would switch from a regular bow or rifle to a crossbow.

I'm not certain that I'm convinced that allowing another method of harvest would have a great impact on animal populations. That argument was also used in the late 60s and early 70s at the introduction of compound bows.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklock View Post
Dug this up from 2010. Basically, lots of testimony against them, none for them.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/agency/co...Minutes_01.pdf
Not completely accurate:

Quote:
Webber asked if Doran would object to the Commission legalizing crossbows during rifle season. Doran recommended that they be allowed.
(page 7)
And another
Quote:
Commissioner Webber asked, if we legalize crossbows in rifle season, would that cause you any grief? Thompson said he was okay with that.
And another
Quote:
Chair Rae asked him for his thoughts on crossbows. Starr said “me too” as far as what Mr. Doran said. OBH’s believes that crossbows should not be used during regular archery seasons; would be less concern if they were available for use during rifle season, or if they had their
own season.
And other similar comments from the commissioners. So, I interpret this as bow hunters don't want crossbow hunters in the same season, but wouldn't have much problem if they were used during rifle season. Interesting.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #41
crabbait
King Salmon
 
crabbait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 30,883
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromaflage View Post
Throughout this entire discussion, I've read a lot of personal opinions about not liking crossbows for "ethical" or traditional reasons, allowing them for disabled hunters, etc. But I have yet to read a good rational argument against them. I seem to be missing something here.
Here are some ponder points:

- Back when game belonged to the King, the crossbow was the poacher's weapon. It could be set to cover a spot with a trip-string to fire it. No appreciable sound to give the poacher away. I think crossbows still carry that bad rep.

- When I was growing up there were few crossbows and no compound crossbows. I was around a couple of the models that were available. I remember the safety being questionable and the trigger was a creeping-crawling nightmare. Whenever that thing was cocked we stayed away from the business end (although there was some question about which was the most dangerous "end" to be around the thing). I never felt safe around it.

- I was archery hunting in a camp with Pete Shepley (PSE) when they were developing the Vector compound-crossbow ('82). It was legal for use in the state we were hunting and one of Pete's employees was using it for test/demonstration purposes. I was unimpressed with the performance on game but they were using a very small broadhead in order to clear the crossbow frame and very light bolts (and one pin at either 40 or 50yds POA). It was very fast and could be shot prone.

Again, I felt very nervous around the thing anytime it was drawn. It was very unwieldy in the woods in the drawn position, difficult to always keep pointed in a safe direction while moving down a trail. Much more so than a rifle/shotgun due to the nature of the beast.

We talked about it around the campfire. Some guys had no problem with it...during a season other than archery. Most thought it matched up best with black-powder (or rifle). It was thought to be too much of an advantage to be able to keep your weapon drawn for archery season.

Everyone was also concerned about the safety aspect of moving through the brush with the crossbow drawn.
__________________
Goin' where the sun keeps shinin' through the pouring rain
Goin' where the weather suits my clothes...
Pura Vida
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #42
xdog
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bow Washington
Posts: 1,111
Thumbs up Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

The crossbow is a poachers dream tool, they should be illegal to own much less to hunt with.

xdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #43
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdog View Post
The crossbow is a poachers dream tool, they should be illegal to own much less to hunt with.

I'd sure like to see some stats to back up the assertions that crossbows increase incidents of poaching. I've done a little poking around and for those states that allow crossbows, the number one weapon for poaching seems NOT to be crossbows.....kinda hard to shoot a crossbow from a vehicle at an animal that's 100 yards away. I cannot find any information that indicates that crossbows increase poaching frequency.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #44
waterfowlin101
King Salmon
 
waterfowlin101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: on the X
Posts: 6,597
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdog View Post
The crossbow is a poachers dream tool, they should be illegal to own much less to hunt with.

Ummm..... No!
waterfowlin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #45
SouthernCharm
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Walton/Lakeside
Posts: 1,024
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdog View Post
The crossbow is a poachers dream tool, they should be illegal to own much less to hunt with.

Thank You for supporting wanting crossbows for Hunters. Poachers are criminals, period and they will use anything available to them and the most common used item is the 22. If you go down the road of not wanting things criminals use, you might as well turn in your guns and fishing rod. How do you snag (floss), with a rod. My main point has been that we need to ban together to push agendas through that benefits all not personal victories. Off the box. Happy Thanksgiving everyone
SouthernCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #46
bradly11
Sturgeon
 
bradly11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sandy
Posts: 4,220
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

If a cross bow helps more hunters hit the woods, Iam down with it. I have no use for one though
bradly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #47
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Just another aspect of the poaching assertions. Crossbows ARE currently legal to purchase and own. There are places where someone can buy them in Oregon, let alone obtaining them through the internet or catalog companies. Given the availability of them now, I've never heard of a big game poaching incident involving the use of a crossbow. If poachers were going to break the law by poaching in the first place, what would stop them from using a crossbow now?

I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, just that all the poaching incidents I've read about, I haven't seen a single one involving a crossbow.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #48
roosevelt
King Salmon
 
roosevelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: witness protection program
Posts: 11,347
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnygx View Post
I think it would be cool to allow handicapped hunters to use a crossbow during bow season.
I agree, that would make sense, allowing them for general archery season, no way. Drawing your bow in an animals presence is a pretty defining part of archery hunting. A scoped rifle bow does not fall under archery equipment. Should we allow salmon snagging? It's easier to get into and it may bring a few more people to the river. You basically need no practice to be as good as the next guy!
__________________

Last edited by roosevelt; 11-20-2012 at 04:55 PM.
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #49
nehalemguy
Sturgeon
 
nehalemguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernonia
Posts: 4,473
Default

I don't always kill zombies, but when I do, I use a crossbow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353459855.587392.jpg
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #50
crabbait
King Salmon
 
crabbait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 30,883
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

I think if poaching were my goal a crossbow wouldn't be my weapon of choice simply because it is impossible to conceal and unwieldy to use, especially when sitting in a truck.

I would be more concerned with the safety aspect.

Chromo, why the interest? I find them interesting like any other weapon but they simply are not very practical. Fun for shooting at the range or maybe for coyotes.
__________________
Goin' where the sun keeps shinin' through the pouring rain
Goin' where the weather suits my clothes...
Pura Vida
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #51
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Crabbait, I just find them interesting. And find it interesting how each state looks at them as a hunting method. They do look fun, albeit a bit cumbersome, yes. Also curious about the how/why regarding Oregon's regulations. Just something to discuss since discussion about them has been very limited here.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #52
StickFish
King Salmon
 
StickFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon
Posts: 15,401
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

We looked at using them for deer hunting in the coast range. We used to drive in this road and there was still a house every now and then and we would see deer in some of the open areas away from the homes. I felt uneasy about exiting the vehicle and getting off the road and shooting at a deer with the house still around, so we didn't. I know if I lived in one of those homes and someone torched off a deer rifle nearby I'm probably be pretty upset, but a cross bow in the circumstance seemed like a good option.

Honestly this was early to mid 90's and I was pretty sure both cross bow and non-primitive muzzle loaders could be used during the general rifle deer season, but I don't have a copy of the old regs to read so I'll chalk it up to, oh well.

I'd like to see some performance data on them, but I don't think they are nearly as effective as a regular bow, they just take much less skill to use accurately.
__________________
Picked a bad year to quit sniffing glue
StickFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #53
Beau hunt
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 411
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksnbucks9 View Post
Ok so my father would love to bow hunt but cannot because of a paralyzed left arm. Shouldn't everyone and anyone be allowed to hunt any season they please? That would be his only opportunity to hunt elk in rut in Oregon. I think it should be for disabled persons, that have something restricting them from pulling a bow back like they are. As for the 100 yard shot deal, I know people who shoot 800 yards with a rifle, maybe I find that unethical maybe not. I also know people who can shoot a compound bow at 80-90 yards consistantly and with good groups. Either way, if you don't like the range the person shoots at then don't listen to the story. But they are not a rifle in anyway shape or form. They should not be used in rifle season, or ml season. Yes they have a trigger but so does your bow release, so that is a very stupid arguement.
My buddy's uncle has a paralyzed arm that is also shorter than the other by a lot. He took a very nice branch bull last year with his bow. . But like I said he should be able to use a cros bow. Because He is handycap. But he is determined enough to still use a bow. He probably wouldn't use a crossbow if he could tho
Beau hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #54
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post

I'd like to see some performance data on them, but I don't think they are nearly as effective as a regular bow, they just take much less skill to use accurately.
Ted, what I've found so far is that they are in fact fairly comparable. Both a crossbow and a compound bow can launch arrows between 300 and 350 fps. Both have about the same amount of energy (using similar weight arrows) at 40 yards. But an arrow launched from a compound bow will have more energy farther out than one from a crossbow. A crossbow has about 1/2 the power stroke length of a compound bow, so a crossbow requires a much higher draw weight.

Hunter's friend has a pretty decent article comparing the two.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #55
Tanglewood
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas Oregon
Posts: 460
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Forgive my ignorance, but, if a disabled person can't draw a bow, how does he draw a crossbow back to the locking point?
Tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #56
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewood View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but, if a disabled person can't draw a bow, how does he draw a crossbow back to the locking point?
There are crossbow systems with integral or attached string drawing (auto-cocking) mechanisms.
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #57
Davy
Ifish Nate
 
Davy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Silverton
Posts: 2,779
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo View Post
...and I'll add that we do not have a deer overpopulation problem like many of these loosey-goosey states where they're quite happy if a few folks bag 3 or more deer in a year. .
Driven through Silverton in the night lately? just saying

and your right about the beer, those were great commercials !
__________________
is it Christmas yet??
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #58
driven2fish
Tuna!
 
driven2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,669
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau hunt View Post
My buddy's uncle has a paralyzed arm that is also shorter than the other by a lot. He took a very nice branch bull last year with his bow. . But like I said he should be able to use a cros bow. Because He is handycap. But he is determined enough to still use a bow. He probably wouldn't use a crossbow if he could tho
That's amazing can you elaborate on how he is able to work a bow with only one arm? This is an honest question I think it's awesome that he was able to do it.
__________________
"Those who have not owned a fish scale know not how to eyeball fish weights." -Anonymous
If you have ever called yourself a 10%er rest assured you're a grade A DB.
driven2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #59
roosevelt
King Salmon
 
roosevelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: witness protection program
Posts: 11,347
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau hunt View Post
My buddy's uncle has a paralyzed arm that is also shorter than the other by a lot. He took a very nice branch bull last year with his bow. . But like I said he should be able to use a cros bow. Because He is handycap. But he is determined enough to still use a bow. He probably wouldn't use a crossbow if he could tho
Thats awesome! Very cool
__________________
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #60
Chromaflage
King Salmon
 
Chromaflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boring, OR
Posts: 15,672
Default Re: Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to a pretty extensive study I found on crossbow hunting. Some very enlightening statistics.

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/ima...tCrossbows.pdf
__________________
I'm on vacation until I get back.
Chromaflage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.88200 seconds with 82 queries