Scariest moment while hunting - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #61
Angus
Tuna!

Default Re: Scariest moment while hunting

When I was about 12-14 my dad and I as well as a distant aunt and uncle returned to camp 1 evening just after dark and my aunt who was hunting with a .30-30 started jackin shells out of the gun to unload it, the first 3 or 4 went as usual but on about the 5th shell the gun went off, she had the butt of the gun on her thigh and the gun pointed up at about the 10 o'clock position. I'm pretty sure that bullet missed my dads head by less then a foot. She felt terrible about it and even worse after my uncle chewed her out. I was ****** and felt nauseated all night, I think my dad was calmest out of all of us in camp. My aunt loved hunting but that was the last time I saw her hunt, I dont think she ever touched a gun again.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #62
jeffotto
Chromer

I got a few moments that stand out. Cascade elk hunt & father in law kacks off a round from his B.A.R. .338 while removing it fro truck narrowly missing his son.

12 years old; my first buck hunt near Lake view; doing exactly the opposite of training. I decided to look through my rifle scope @ movement across the canyon only to see the hunter return the gesture.

Sitting in the "country crappin" position and having a buddy who was just around the tree from me drop a 3-point buck. Yeah, that sped up my duty! Hahaha!!!

Back when GPS units first became the 'norm; I decided once to forget all logic and common sense and solely be guided by this handheld. I remember looking down into a canyon that was not supposed to be there. Still carry one, just do not know why!

Spending two weeks in East Northside with a raging violent alcoholic. Yeah, with out going into detail, that was the worst for me.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #63
DB Crouper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
that was my scariest animal encounter. i went home and ate a steak
Revenge is sweet
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #64
GermanBrown
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffotto View Post
I got a few moments that stand out. Cascade elk hunt & father in law kacks off a round from his B.A.R. .338 while removing it fro truck narrowly missing his son.
Loaded gun in the truck... niiice.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #65
jeffotto
Chromer

Don't shoot the messenger!!! hahaha!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #66
jcloer1
Cutthroat

Quote:
never had anything that i felt was scary while hunting, but i do have an ironic story that i think fits this thread.

last winter i was steelhead fishing, i was fishing a spot where you pay a buck to walk through a farmers field. this field is normally full of cows, but this day there were 3, one of the normal black and white one, one huge brindle colored one and a pretty young calf.

i walked down and fished, it was getting late and i was ready to leave. i started back through the field that was probably a little more than 500 yds to my truck. about half way through the field i see the black and white cow walking down a trail to my left, just off the main trail. when i got even with where that cow walked the calf was just walking out and spooked, the big brindle cow ran up and was facing me about 30 yds away, then she started snorting, then reared up and slammed her front legs down, i thought "uh oh" i started walking backwards to give her distance and she charged me, i turned and started running. this cow was making all sorts of noise and was right on my heels. i was going as fast as i could but felt soles and slick mud were making my departure a little slow, i thought she was gonna catch me. i finally made it to the river and stopped about thigh deep, she stopped at the rivers edge, and after a couple minutes walked off.

i was able to walk the river up and make some distance between us. i'm not sure what that cow had in mind, but she had me convinced she was going to smash me if she could. i still think it's so funny all of the time i spend in the woods and the encounters i have had, that was my scariest animal encounter. i went home and ate a steak

lmao! I'll bet that was a tasty steak too!
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #67
gregsalmon
Steelhead

I have had brown bears sneak up on me after I shot deer. Had pressure on the trigger each time and the bear within 10 yards. Did not have to shoot them, kept the deer.
gregsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #68
GermanBrown
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffotto View Post
Don't shoot the messenger!!! hahaha!!!
Wasn't referring to you, more your stepfather. Bet that was scary though.

Last edited by Seon; 11-10-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Removed unacceptable symbols
GermanBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #69
huntress2010
Steelhead

First lady to respond? We get scared, too, ya know! By the way, Kid, great thread!! Interesting to read how many people have been shot, shot at, nearly shot at, caught in the crosshairs, etc... Oh man!!

Well, me too! Before I was a big game hunter, before I was an archer, I was shot at - by a bowhunter! While timber cruising in the coast range... Thwack... arrow hits a tree just inches from my face. I dropped, drew a pistol and yelled some most un-lady-like things at the unseen archer. No apology, just the sound of someone running through the brush. Not quite the end of the story, though... after a lengthy calm-down period, I returned to my rig to find I had been blocked in by two big trucks... bumpers touching bumpers. However, they were no match for my '74 Landcruiser in low-low-4WD. Ha! It was all I could do to not leave more than a few dents on their pickups. Absolutely true story. Still have the arrow.

Late this summer, stalking elk, bow with knocked arrow, I stepped into some kind of hornet nest built in the ground. Heard the roar, felt them hitting my face, hands, hat... held loaded bow over head and ran like crazy, blindly for about a hundred yards before they simply turned back. It's hard enough to walk in the coast range jungle, let alone run away from bees!! Yet, not a single sting. And... I'm allergic to 'em. Lucky? Yep. Still, every buzz I heard for days after made me jumpy.

~ Huntress.

p.s. Ya'll be careful out there these next couple of weeks, ok? No shooting at sounds in the brush, looking at each other through scopes, angering the bears... or playing in meadows with Bessy, ok? Okay!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #70
RAGHORN!
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress2010 View Post
First lady to respond? We get scared, too, ya know! By the way, Kid, great thread!! Interesting to read how many people have been shot, shot at, nearly shot at, caught in the crosshairs, etc... Oh man!!

Well, me too! Before I was a big game hunter, before I was an archer, I was shot at - by a bowhunter! While timber cruising in the coast range... Thwack... arrow hits a tree just inches from my face. I dropped, drew a pistol and yelled some most un-lady-like things at the unseen archer. No apology, just the sound of someone running through the brush. Not quite the end of the story, though... after a lengthy calm-down period, I returned to my rig to find I had been blocked in by two big trucks... bumpers touching bumpers. However, they were no match for my '74 Landcruiser in low-low-4WD. Ha! It was all I could do to not leave more than a few dents on their pickups. Absolutely true story. Still have the arrow.

Late this summer, stalking elk, bow with knocked arrow, I stepped into some kind of hornet nest built in the ground. Heard the roar, felt them hitting my face, hands, hat... held loaded bow over head and ran like crazy, blindly for about a hundred yards before they simply turned back. It's hard enough to walk in the coast range jungle, let alone run away from bees!! Yet, not a single sting. And... I'm allergic to 'em. Lucky? Yep. Still, every buzz I heard for days after made me jumpy.

~ Huntress.

p.s. Ya'll be careful out there these next couple of weeks, ok? No shooting at sounds in the brush, looking at each other through scopes, angering the bears... or playing in meadows with Bessy, ok? Okay!

DING! DING! DING! I think we have a winner..... Wow! Huntress, sorry you had to experience that......
RAGHORN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #71
Ben Hur
Tuna!

I actually do remember being scared in the woods one time, but no it was not when a wounded bear charged at me and stopped at 3 ft. while my friend with the single shot .30-.30 yelled like a little girl for me to shoot it shoot it!! I followed that bear on my hands and knees under the Rhododendrons for 200 yards knowing he had shot it in the paw only, but just to make sure it was not a serious wound.

Nor was it the time my guide and I were on our hands and knees under thick huckleberry brush, using my gun barrel to pry a bears jaws off the throat of one of his dogs but the point blank shot of his .44 pistol did ring my ears pretty good.

Nor was it when a shot bear ran me over and knocked me down a pretty good slope or when I found I could not go up the slope or down the slope off what turned out to be a cliff, so I jumped 6 ft across open air into the top of a 30 ft. fir tree and climbed on down.

I was only astonished not scared when a big big bear crashed into the stream I was wading up and chased a 30+lb salmon down to me. I had been watching him for 15 minutes not wanting to get wet, walking a big log over the creek, back and forth over a group of salmon, trying to reach down and paw one. He bailed off and came right to me, then that bear grabbed that fish on the upstream side of a small 2ft. diameter boulder, with me crouched and hiding my face in the water on the downstream side of the same rock. I heard the bear's crunch of that salmon's spine and I was covered with water and slime when he gave it two hard shakes. I still feel the warm stanky breath of that bears ragged exhales through his nostrils on the back of my neck. Once he had that fish on the bank I walked on my hands and knees backward, going with the flow. I did stand and walk backwards only while the bear ate, after going about 30 yards on my knees. Since I was wearing a black coat and black waders at the time I didn't want to appear as another bear invading the territory.

My black lab was scared one time after chasing a bear up a skid road cut bank into some thick brush and rocks. That dog looked at me as if to say, are you sure you want me (we) to go up in their? When I called her back she looked very relieved.

Two cubs up a tree with a moma bear snapping and popping her jaws at me from 15 ft. while I was in a beaver pond waist deep was no worry. I think I could have took her with my knife.

A bear walks up to me and my dog while I'm fly fishing, within 5 ft. stops swims across the river, almost touches the other side and turns and swims back to my side, walks back up to within 3 ft. and then ambles up the slope away from us both, it did make my dog nervous and shiver a little bit. That was just fun to watch that confused bear. I drink mostly Deschutes beer, who's buy'in?
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #72
rem721
Chromer

several hunting pigs in NoCal. Especially the time I broke the ranch owners cardinal rule and shot at a pig while hunting alone. First shot, 180 gr. .30-06 led him too much and broke his jaw- he was 150 yards away and came right for me. Decond shot in the shield stood him up. 3rd shot from the hip at ten yards missed, I was behind a tree and got him with the 4th.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #73
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Realizing I was lost.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #74
Mooch
Tuna!

Quote:
never had anything that i felt was scary while hunting, but i do have an ironic story that i think fits this thread.

last winter i was steelhead fishing, i was fishing a spot where you pay a buck to walk through a farmers field. this field is normally full of cows, but this day there were 3, one of the normal black and white one, one huge brindle colored one and a pretty young calf.

i walked down and fished, it was getting late and i was ready to leave. i started back through the field that was probably a little more than 500 yds to my truck. about half way through the field i see the black and white cow walking down a trail to my left, just off the main trail. when i got even with where that cow walked the calf was just walking out and spooked, the big brindle cow ran up and was facing me about 30 yds away, then she started snorting, then reared up and slammed her front legs down, i thought "uh oh" i started walking backwards to give her distance and she charged me, i turned and started running. this cow was making all sorts of noise and was right on my heels. i was going as fast as i could but felt soles and slick mud were making my departure a little slow, i thought she was gonna catch me. i finally made it to the river and stopped about thigh deep, she stopped at the rivers edge, and after a couple minutes walked off.

i was able to walk the river up and make some distance between us. i'm not sure what that cow had in mind, but she had me convinced she was going to smash me if she could. i still think it's so funny all of the time i spend in the woods and the encounters i have had, that was my scariest animal encounter. i went home and ate a steak
Range cows make me more nervous than any cougar or black bear.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #75
Gun Rod Bow

Being charged by a sow Grizzly from 30 yards with a bow in my hand
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #76
StevenB
Halibut

Mine was getting caught during a 90 mph plus Chinook Wind hunting elk in an old growth forest near Mt Baker in 1977. Not far from Bell Pass.

I was all of 21 years of age at the time and of course knew I was going to live forever. There was a moment of doubt on the theory that afternoon.

The morning of my elk hunt was quiet. I found a herd of elk and was tracking them in fresh snow as the wind picked up. I kept hearing loud booms every minute or two emitting to the north near Bell Pass. The northern ridges and Mount Baker must have been helping to reroute the winds. I couldn't figure out what was making the distant BOOM sounds. I caught up to the elk and watched them move out single file at a run. The last two I had a glimpse of were a spike followed by a 5 pointer. I followed the herd as they were heading down in elevation. (It was noon thirty.)

Eventually I came upon a freshly fallen log right over the elk tracks. "Yikes" I thought as I realized the booming had all been trees. In less than a half hour I was seeing and hearing a tree blow over every minute. This, in a forest where seeing 100 yards is uncommon. Old growth trees at that. The dead old growth trees were giving no warning crack. The only sound I heard was when they hit the ground with a soggy BOOM. Because the wind was at it's peak there was a lot of noise but the live tree's were giving a loud crack. I started scanning for the dead wood both behind and in front of me as I moved down the north side of the mountain I had climbed the east side in the morning

After reaching the base of the mountain/hill I'd descended I could turn into the wind to reach a clear cut near the road I was parked on with my Datsun Pick-up and home made camper. It was a relief to be able to see the trees thin as I started to see the clear cut. The mile was on level ground. It was about 4pm when I arrived at the road. It had a van parked on the wrong side of a fallen old growth tree. My rig was on the wrong side of a washed out creek turned river. Fortunately there was a tree planting party that was waiting for a rescue vehicle. I was able to park in a recent clear cut and escape to civilization (is that possible) and make it to work the next day... (a little late and tired)

Two years latter a similar wind took out the Hood Canal Bridge.

SB
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #77
Joe Schmo
Tuna!

Probably one of the many moments when I find myself airborne and half upside down with a bow in one hand during elk season...
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #78
gotZem
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckitts View Post
My scariest moment might make me seem like like a weiner, but I hate to be walking through thick windfall during high winds. I was hunting a few years ago late season archery deer, and a storm came in. There was snow on the ground and in the trees, I was walking through some deadfall when a huge tree fell right next to me. I have also had a few fall on the road either right next to my truck while I'm out hunting, or right in front of me as I'm heading home. This year rifle elk hunting I was climbing over logs and beating thick brush and the wind came up... I looked up and all I could see was snow and dead trees everywhere. I got the heck out of there as quick as I could. My grandpa had a good laugh...

Chris
Too funny! I've had 3 near dead experiences with deadfall trees too! Told everyone if it happens, everyone has to sing "tree fallin'" (Tom Petty-oh-that's "free fallin') at my funeral.
gotZem!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #79
Old Guys Rule
Tuna!

In the 70's I was duck hunting on a gravel pit when some kids pulled up and decided to shoot my decoys with their .22 With bullets hitting all around me I jumped up quick and emptied my gun at them. They did not stick around to wait for me to talk to them.

In the 80's I swamped my overloaded duck boat on the Willy but between flaotation in the boat and a little luck we kept our heads and made it to shore safely. After the event and draining of the boat we even kept hunting. Never did tell my wife about that hunt...

In the 90's I hit a log in the dark (on the Willy duck hunting again) broke my outboard motor off the boat. It did not break off completely but remained attached by a single wire and was running full speed cocked off at a severe angle. The boat went in a tight circle and almost flipped before I could straighten it out and hit the kill button. Again, once we cleaned out our shorts we paddled downstream, pulled into an eddy and hunted the morning, then called my wife at 9AM to have her meet us at the ferry.

But the scariest moment I ever had was being pinned down by an irate homeowner duck hunting. He moved to the country for peace and quiet and did not like the hunters waking him up early on Saturday mornings. So he decided to shoot up my decoys with his .22 Problem was my 8 year old daughter and I were in the boat blinded in next to the decoys. After he emptied the second clip I started screaming at him that I had a rifle and would shoot back he ran away. Had the sheriff talk to him that afternoon but nothing was ever done about it. I carried a rifle in the boat for over 10 years after that, was not going to get in a long range gunfight ever again with a short range shotgun....
Old Guys Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #80
Old Guys Rule
Tuna!

I have another scary moment that is actually pretty funny.

My buddy Paul and I were elk hunting Chesnemnus in the 70's. We walked out in the dark to an open bench waiting for daylight. A big dark rock looked like a good place to sit a wait, but when Paul tried to sit on the rock it jumped up and ran away! The rock was actually a black range cow bedded down. Don't know who was more scared, Paul or the cow, but after he calmed down we all got a pretty good laugh over it.
Old Guys Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #81
DAB
King Salmon

The funniest scare I have had was. This is a few years after my other story below this one.

Hunting elk in the Wenaha unit and we decided to take the horses down Resser creek trail down to the Walla Walla River and went down river a ways. Tied the horses where they could graze on some grass. Well I was the first one back to the horses and I was tired. The sun was shining and it was quite warm in the canyon, so I decide to take a nap till the others guys got back. I found a nice grassy spot where the horses couldn't step on me and I laid down and promptly fell asleep.

Well the next thing I know is something was on top of me and growling and I could not see. +_)*&^%$#%^$%%#$$%^ turns out one of the guys got back and seen me asleep and decided to have a little fun at my expense. He tossed his coat over my head and jumped on top of me and was growling like a bear. After it was all over he said if he had known how hard it was going to be to stay on top of me he would never have done it. He said his horse couldn't have bucked him off any harder than I bucked him off.

Now for the Scariest thing that Happened to me was. On my very first ever so called elk hunting trip the wife and I took. We had a new 1965 ( this could have happened in 66 or 67 just not sure) Ford Falcon and went up into the Wenaha unit. It was dry at the time and we drove down a DIRT road to Luger Springs not far from Jubilee Lake ( Jubilee lake was not there at this time). Well it started to rain and spit snow , I told the wife we better get to he11 out of here or we might not get out at all. We hit the main gravel road NF 64 and headed back towards Tollgate. As we were driving out we came to one of the big clear cuts and a big branch antlered bull ran across the road. So being dumb and just new to hunting I started shooting at the elk, It turned and ran back towards us and then cut to the left and up a skid trail. I was quite sure I had hit it so the wife and I started tracking it. Now mind you we had no survival gear what so ever in the car or on our backs, NOTHING just light jackets and no rain gear either. Well it started to snow harder as we were blood tracking the elk and I mean it was snowing hard. We lost the blood trail because it was snowing so hard and the elk was far enough ahead of us that the snow covered up all the blood and tracts. We made a big circle trying to find the elks tracts but to no avail. Everything was going good till I said to the wife " well we lost it and we better get back to the car". We turned and headed back and hadn't gone 10 feet when it dawned on me I didn't have no idea where the car was or what direction to go, we didn't even have a freaking compass wouldn't of helped any way because I had no idea what direction the road was.:bigsh ock:Talk about being scared, scared isn't the word for it. Here we were out in the timber and brush and it is snowing hard and we are LOST But by some unknown reason I remembered something a fella that is a very good woodsman and hunter told me and that is. "if you are ever out in the woods and you turn and start back that is the way you should go as your brain some how has been keeping track of where you are and the way back, so just go in the direction you turned when you decided to go back. ( that being you turned back with out thinking about which way to go") Well I did just that, wasn't to long till we came to a very faint skid road walked down it thinking if I came to the end of it I would need turn around and follow it the other way as it has to come out to a road. We kept on the skid road and came to the edge of a big clear cut. We were much relieved when we saw smoke way down on the far right edge of the clear cut. Then It came to me, we are in the clear cut about a half mile back up the road from where the car is.We picked up the pace and was back at the car safe and sound in about 20 minutes or so. But still very shaken from what had just happened. I never told the wife that I thought we were lost as I didn't want to scare her. To this day she said she wasn't to concerned about the whole thing.

That taught me a whole lot about carrying a compass and map and knowing were I am in relation to the nearest road, plus other survival stuff with me no matter where I am hunting.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #82
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
Never been scared while in the woods with my rifle. Snow storm white outs, frozen rain and frozen fog, high winds in deadfall, cougars on my tracks in the snow, broken leg far from the trail head, fall from a 10 ft. high boulder into a icy waterfall series of 8- 10 ft. drops, dehydrated in 90-100 degree heat and high winds in the desert, whole camp and tent and 2 wheel drive truck covered with snow so you couldn't tell where it even was, lighting storm knocking trees down all around us, 2 miles from camp in pitch black and heavy snow (you could not tell up from down or see your hand in front of your face or even tell how close it was to your nose), snow blind at 9,000 ft with a migraine in 3 ft of new snow and -5 degrees, so I had to work my way 1 mile up to the ridge with my eyes closed and my hat pulled over my face, pulling my trailer without brakes on solid iced pavement down 6% downgrades with many rigs in the ditches around sharp corners. I do pray after 4-5 days of eating others cooking from the same unwashed pot.

In our camps if you don't show up for dinner or by 10:00pm the rest of the guys know they have permission to start dividing your gear, no radios, no equips or cell phones allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublelung View Post
HAS to be Dos Equis.
I dont always drink, but when I do, I drink the blood of the cougar I just killed with my bare hands.

Awesome stories guys, dont stop now. Wish I had something to add, then again that might be a good thing. I still have alot of time left in my hunting career though, hopefully.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #83
Old Coot
Ifish Nate

While canyon-hopping the scablands and sagebrush country around Paulina back in the "Veet Nam" era I climbed out of a canyon and headed over to the next one. As I topped out I got THAT FEELING that says you are being watched. I turned around and sitting on the ridgetop behind me was a man maybe 450 yards out with his rifle pointed directly at me.

Mind you, the tallest thing around me for a couple of hundred yards was foot-high sage. No question whether I was human or game. I waved. I yelled. I moved back and forth. No change. I had no idea what to do. If I pointed my rifle at him would he drop the trigger? If headed for him would he shoot out of some psychotic concept of self defense?

So I sat. No change, he was still in seated position, elbows on legs and rifle aimed at me. I pondered. Drunk? Crazy? Speed?

Finally, after maybe 3 minutes but what seemed like 3 hours, I got up and walked straight away over the ridge and dropped out of sight. Then I ran like hell. I freely admit that I was terrified. By that time in my hunting career I had post-mortem'd maybe 30 deer and I knew what sort of damage a slug does to tissue.

Next day I talked to the landowner. He said nobody matching the guy's description had permission to be on his 135,000 acres. Never did find out who he was.

And that was the second scariest moment of my 55 years of hunting.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #84
BoulderDancer
Steelhead

Remote camp in the Wind River Range in Wyoming... I'm crossing a knee-high field of grass on my way to get water when something bolts out in front of me. Rifle left at camp. It seemed pretty small but I didn't even get a glance of its color. I'm thinking rabbit so I go running after it. I get 10 steps before I see the badger spin 180 and come charging at me. If you've ever seen a ****** off badger, they flare out their bodies making them twice the size and start snarling and growling. He's 10 feet from me and for every step I take backwards he lunges, very aggressively forward. I kept backing up and he finally turns and walks off.... for the time being.

That night we're lying in the tent when we hear something rustling around our cook area. Shine a light... it's our badger friend. We yell, he walks out of sight. 5 minutes later he reappears at the head of our tent. We're petrified to move... thinking that if he hears anything he'll come busting in. He actually circles our tent getting so close his hair is actually rubbing the side of the tent. We finally get enough nerve to kneel up in bed and grab the rifle. The badger circles the tent a bit longer then disappears. We stand down. No shots fired.

It’s sad but true, the most scared I’ve ever been came at the paws of a rodent.

Last edited by BoulderDancer; 11-12-2012 at 04:24 PM.
BoulderDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #85
Headhunter
Sturgeon

I had a close call just this weekend. On the way over to the coast at O'Dark30 pulling my boat I hit an elk. Just clipped its nose.

I was pulling my boat following another rig when I saw the rig in front of me start veering off the road. I thought the guy was falling asleep and was watching him when all of a sudden out of the dark was a calf elk standing in the road looking at the car in front of my. I swirved just as the calf turned its head to look at me and his nose hit my side mirror pushing it in against the truck. No damage to the rig and the elk was gone.

That could have turned out really bad.

Man the things we do and see for hair for feathers.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #86
joesywhales
Cutthroat

does an encounter with a big foot here in E oregon count...?
joesywhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #87
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesywhales View Post
does an encounter with a big foot here in E oregon count...?
Only if you tell us more.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #88
a12seccrx
Tuna!

Sitting in the bottom of a clear cut durring western deer rifle season a couple years ago. Above me is a stand of timber, and above that is another cut. Someone took a shot from the upper cut. I heard the bullet wiz past me, missing me by only a few feet. I squeezed in behind a tree as a second bullet wizzed by. I pretty much needed a change of drawers after that!
a12seccrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #89
Waterfish
Ifish Nate

My scariest hunting incident happened in 1995 while three miles from the nearest road or trail. It was snowing and cold, and my 9-year old son was with me. We made a ground blind above a heavily used deer trail. After sitting for a couple of hours I decided to make a small fire. I was on my knees, using my razor sharp Gerber hatchet to clear a spot for the fire. As I was cutting at the base of a huckleberry bush, my knee was too close and the corner edge of the hatchet went into my knee (after passing through rain pants, trousers, and long johns). I knew it was bad so I applied direct pressure with my hand as we hiked out (by compass), climbing over blown down logs and up hills, three miles back to my truck. I almost blacked out a few times on the hike but I knew that I had to keep going. Then I drove myself all the way to the hospital, all the time keeping direct pressure on the injury. After stitching me up, the doctor said the blade came within 1/16 inch of hitting the major artery.

My second most scary moment during hunting happened in 2007 when I shot a cougar that was stalking me. The cat was 17 feet from me and getting ready to pounce when I shot it. This story made the sports section of the Sunday Oregonian. Here is the link to the story with photos that I posted on Ifish:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...gar+stalked+me
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #90
StevenB
Halibut

Not a rodent but of the weasel family.

The badger is in the same animal family as the Wolverine, otter, and skunk. Nice sharp teeth all of them.

Pound for pound the most fierce critters.

I believe the Tasmanian Devil is of the same animal family too.

SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderDancer View Post
Remote camp in the Wind River Range in Wyoming... I'm crossing a knee-high field of grass on my way to get water when something bolts out in front of me. Rifle left at camp. It seemed pretty small but I didn't even get a glance of its color. I'm thinking rabbit so I go running after it. I get 10 steps before I see the badger spin 180 and come charging at me. If you've ever seen a ****** off badger, they flare out their bodies making them twice the size and start snarling and growling. He's 10 feet from me and for every step I take backwards he lunges, very aggressively forward. I kept backing up and he finally turns and walks off.... for the time being.

That night we're lying in the tent when we hear something rustling around our cook area. Shine a light... it's our badger friend. We yell, he walks out of sight. 5 minutes later he reappears at the head of our tent. We're petrified to move... thinking that if he hears anything he'll come busting in. He actually circles our tent getting so close his hair is actually rubbing the side of the tent. We finally get enough nerve to kneel up in bed and grab the rifle. The badger circles the tent a bit longer then disappears. We stand down. No shots fired.

StevenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #91
2tired2work
Coho

Cool Re: Scariest moment while hunting

I do not know about the Badger bit but my wife when she is mad at me her bite can be very sharp and hurt full.
2tired2work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #92
wadester
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hound View Post
No animal encounters but one time elk hunting by Clackamas lk. ( close to Timothy ) we came across an alter, a bunch of melted candles on stumps, and I mean a lot of candles! There were also a bunch of symbols made of sticks hanging in the trees. This was all about a half mile from a road. Needless to say we got out of there in a hurry. Freaky!
Weird, I came across a similar set up on some BLM land near Eugene-with the addition of about 5-6 deers worth of bones. I was not hunting, just out teaching my girlfriend to shoot. It sort of ruined the day for her.
wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #93
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Anyone have anything else to add? Great reading right here!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #94
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

I'm bumping this back up since there were so many interesting stories the first time.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #95
uhmw
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
Wildly wasted 300+ pound redneck awoke from a wisky coma and decided to discharge his entire glock magazine into the camp fire that everyone was sitting around. In a plublic camp ground no less. And yes he was from Estacada.
Still my scariest, but missing mama bear with my arrow at about 30 yards and then having three of her cubs which I never saw scramble up the tree I was standing under was a close second. Missing at 30 yards now thats scary
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #96
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderDancer View Post

I had a Badger come after me as a teenager hunting in NEO. My Remington 700 30.06 ended his career. At the time I didn't have enough sense to know how vicious and dangerous they can be
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #97
SaltyFly
Cutthroat

About 10 years am ago my dad shot a spike at the bottom of a canyon in the Ukiah unit opening morning. We quartered him out, hung the quarters in a tree, then hiked out to get the pack boards from the truck (about 4 miles). While we were hiking out it started snowing, and by the time we were heading back in to pick the quarters up there were several inches of fresh snow on the ground. We grabbed the quarters and started back out for the truck following the footsteps we made coming in. After about a 1/4 mile or, we noticed a very fresh set of large cougar tracks ON TOP of the tracks we left coming in. It wasn't more than 20 minutes after we originally left the tracks. The rest of the hike out was nerve racking!

I'm guessing the cougar trailed us into the elk...we never saw it, but I'm sure it was watching us and maybe let s walk right by us. By far the spookiest hunting moment I have ever had.
SaltyFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #98
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyFly View Post
About 10 years am ago my dad shot a spike at the bottom of a canyon in the Ukiah unit opening morning. We quartered him out, hung the quarters in a tree, then hiked out to get the pack boards from the truck (about 4 miles). While we were hiking out it started snowing, and by the time we were heading back in to pick the quarters up there were several inches of fresh snow on the ground. We grabbed the quarters and started back out for the truck following the footsteps we made coming in. After about a 1/4 mile or, we noticed a very fresh set of large cougar tracks ON TOP of the tracks we left coming in. It wasn't more than 20 minutes after we originally left the tracks. The rest of the hike out was nerve racking!

I'm guessing the cougar trailed us into the elk...we never saw it, but I'm sure it was watching us and maybe let s walk right by us. By far the spookiest hunting moment I have ever had.
That gives me the heeby jeebies lol I'm not very fond of those mountain kittehs, even though I have never seen one. I always know they are in the area. Had them on our trail cameras and found fresh kills. Walking into a stand at 3AM and hearing things running all around you in the pitch black. Fun stuff.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #99
cascadebull
Steelhead

This is one of those times that left me thinking alot of "what if's" afterwards and then it became scary to me anyways.

Hunting in couple inches of fresh snow, still snowing. I was walking through a cut to get in the timber with my gun slung over my shoulder and hands in my pockets because they were cold. Tripped up by a branch under the snow. In a fraction of a second I was face down in the snow. No time for reaction, both feet slid out and down I went. Checking my face for blood cause it sure hurt alot now. I am sitting on my knees now and notice my face imprint 2" to the left of a branch about 5" long sticking straight up out of the snow. Yeh, what if 3" the other way right through my eye into the cranial cavity.

My hands get cold alot now.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #100
SquarePeg
Steelhead

Plenty o scary moments.

There's a hunting area I like but access is a booger. It lies on top of a bluff. There's a point sticking out from the bluff and a big canyon live oak growing beside it. The bends and big branches in the tree just happen to be staggered with ledges and knobs on the bluff forming a sort of ladder. It's a little spooky .. falling would be bad.

I was coming out one day just at the top of the bluff. I heard some thrashing above me, didn't pay it much mind, and started down. I was about halfway down when a big freakin' bear tried to pass me. He looked at me, I looked at him, and we both jumped and hit the talus rolling. By the time I got up, the bear was gone.

That was kinda scary.

What was really scary though was ... what put such fear into that big bear that it'd risk getting that close to me?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #101
458win
Chromer

2 miles in and realized I forgot my quiver
458win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #102
K-15
Steelhead

A couple of years back I was bow hunting,with no sidearm walking up a old 2 track looking for tracks, I bumped a cub out of the brush off to my left, as he ran off,he was joined by a 2nd. cub,this at about 7-8 yds.The first cub went up a tree about 8-10' and I was looking around for mom, pulling a arrow out of the quiver,..panic is a understatement.I was walking backwards down the road looking everywhere for mom, trying to get some distance between me and the cubs.I hadn't made it very far still looking off to my hard left for momma when I heard a limb snap,...I looked hard right, and about crapped myself, here she come..full charge, out of the trees at about 30-35 yds.. I said this is it...,looked down and hooked my release on the loop,..and spun to face her, trying to come to full draw at the same time,being right handed, I had turn pretty hard.She was only about 6 yds. when she pulled a hard turn, and broke off the charge,she'd covered that distance in a unbelievable amount of time.I wasn't even to anchor point when she did it,the site of her with the dirt and limbs flying up behind her is burned into my memory till the day I go under.
Mike
K-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #103
dwbri22
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
2 miles in and realized I forgot my quiver
That's ok. I took a guy hunting, dropped him off told and told him to meet me in a couple hours at the bottom of a large draw. I didn't have a tag so I was just helping him out. I got to the point where I was supposed to pick him up, looked in the back of the truck, and he had left his whole bow and everything. When he got to the pick up spot. He said he had jumped a nice 5 pt. Bull who proceded to stand there and stare at him for a couple minutes. He went to reach for an arrow when he realized he didn't even have a bow. Not scary at all, but I still joke about any time we go hunting.
dwbri22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #104
Timber hunter
Tuna!

My older brother and I were hunting up Thomas Creek outside of Scio when we were 16 and 14. He was driving my dads old '58 chevy truck, the brakes started feeling spongey so he decided to put it in low range for the trip out. Well when he did it wouldn't go in, then we had no brakes and the transfer case was in neutral and were already commited. We free wheeled all the way down to the paved road about 3 miles. We crossed an old wood bridge at the bottom, we must have been doing 50mph. My brother wasn't known to be the best driver, but that day he was Dale Earnhardt. I thought for sure we were going to die!
Timber hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #105
EC4Reel
Cutthroat

Hiking out in the dark after a day of chasing Elk solo. Head lamp on, get the windfall area which about a mile from the truck. Start making my way thru, tried to jump from one log to another. Slip, boot catches branch. Twist...POP...pain.

I just laid there holding my knee, worried that any movement might make it worse. My mind is racing thru every horrible situation possible. Food check, water check, did I pack a space blanket?....end up drifting to sleep.

I wake up about an hour later. Go to bend knee, and it feels....good? I stood up, tested the knee, it works! Walked to the truck.

I rarley go solo anymore, due to the wifes concerns and I never leap from log to log anymore.
EC4Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #106
pharmseller
King Salmon

1996 or so, hunting the Gospel Hump wilderness area in Idaho for elk.

Tooting on my cow call every once in awhile as I snuck along. Heard some deep guttural grunting sounds coming my way, along with breaking brush. Oh boy, just like on the TV shows!

I was on the edge of a little clearing, not more than 25 or 30 yards across, surrounded by puckerbrush. No trees big enough to climb, but that didn't enter my thoughts just yet.

I took a knee and raised my rifle to ready position, but was looking over the scope. The grunting and crashing continued, but changed position, as if the bull was coming in serpentine (serpentine, Shelley, serpentine!).

So who do you supposed walked into that clearing, looking for me? Yep, you guessed it, Bullwinkle wanted to know who the heck was making all that racket in his backyard.

Like I said, no trees to climb, and I'm 80 feet from a very interested, very large bull moose. The wind was in my favor and I held stock still. Please oh please don't do anything stupid, either of us.

After 8 or 9 years he grew disinterested and wandered away. As he left he had to tilt his head to navigate the trees with his horns. That explained the serpentine route he took to get to me. His spread was so wide he had to pick his way through the pucker to get to me.

My heart rate got back to normal sometime that evening.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #107
Salmon Mike
Tuna!

Thanks kid!!! best thread i have seen for some time! Only thing that scared me before, was almost being ran over by a cow elk in the coast range. It was scary!!
Salmon Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #108
IdahoSH
Chromer

After 8 or 9 years

Purdy funny. That's a long time to hold your breath.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #109
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
1996 or so, hunting the Gospel Hump wilderness area in Idaho for elk.

Tooting on my cow call every once in awhile as I snuck along. Heard some deep guttural grunting sounds coming my way, along with breaking brush. Oh boy, just like on the TV shows!

I was on the edge of a little clearing, not more than 25 or 30 yards across, surrounded by puckerbrush. No trees big enough to climb, but that didn't enter my thoughts just yet.

I took a knee and raised my rifle to ready position, but was looking over the scope. The grunting and crashing continued, but changed position, as if the bull was coming in serpentine (serpentine, Shelley, serpentine!).

So who do you supposed walked into that clearing, looking for me? Yep, you guessed it, Bullwinkle wanted to know who the heck was making all that racket in his backyard.

Like I said, no trees to climb, and I'm 80 feet from a very interested, very large bull moose. The wind was in my favor and I held stock still. Please oh please don't do anything stupid, either of us.

After 8 or 9 years he grew disinterested and wandered away. As he left he had to tilt his head to navigate the trees with his horns. That explained the serpentine route he took to get to me. His spread was so wide he had to pick his way through the pucker to get to me.

My heart rate got back to normal sometime that evening.

P

They are impressive, imposing animals! In Alaska I had 2 different Moose charge me. The first I shot in the face at about 15-20 feet. The next one we dropped at about 40 yards. On another occasion while packing out the last load of meat along with the antlers tied to the pack, we had another big bull square off with us. He didn't charge, but he was certainly in the mood to fight.

This picture is of the one that dropped 15 feet from me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moose.jpg (9.2 KB, 400 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #110
aaroncoastie
Cutthroat

Helping a friend trap pigs when I lived in Hawaii. We drove the truck up to the top of his property and found a big boar in a leg hold snare. Just as I made it out of the truck, the pig got free. All I had was my little 22 ruger. My buddy hadn't pulled the rifle out of the cab. I got off 4 or 5 shots before I sidestepped the charging boar. He missed me by about a foot. My buddy made it to the truck bed before the pig made it to him. When the pig turned back around to come at me again I managed to put one just above his right eye and dropped him. Had to change my underwear after that one.
aaroncoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #111
ogrejager
Ifish Nate

I grew up in Alaska. Every fall we'd take a float plane to a cabin in the marsh on stilts to go duck hunting. I was probably 14 or so. When it came time to leave, the pilot said it'd take two trips, then loaded some of the gear into the plane. He then pointed at my dad and one of his buddies to get in the plane. That left me and one other guy behind.

The plane taxis to one end of the big lake in the marsh, and starts to take off. Remember, it's on floats. Suddenly, as the plane is nearing a takeoff speed, there's a crunching noise and it starts to slow down. It beaches about 1/4 mile from us and just sits there.

This is before cell phones and we didn't have any radios with us, either. As it starts to get dark, the plane still sits there. Just at dark, a helicopter on floats flies in, lands by the plane, loads people--including my dad--and then FLIES AWAY. Again, no word to us.

I was too young to be scared, but wow--I'd just been ditched by my dad who'd been rescued by helicopter. The next morning, I got up and went on a quick, bonus duck hunt.

Early that next morning a different plane came to pick us up. Apparently the first plane had hit a submerged log, ripped its float open and had to beach. The pilot had called for a rescue, but had left us behind until another plane from the fly-in service could get to us in the morning. Of course, nobody told us about it.

To this day, my father still gets a hard time for abandoning me to take a helicopter ride.
ogrejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #112
Blacktail sniper
Tuna!

I've found a few couger tracks in my boot tracks over the years and tracks of one couger that walked circles around my truck while I was deer hunting one day. Had an animal follow me out of the woods while I was dragging a deer one night, never seen it though, it stayed out of flashlight range. The first bear I had shot or seen for that matter came back to life two hours after I shot it! After the shot, I went back to town to get my dad and a game cart, upon arrival to the kill spot the bear had dragged itself into the timber and rolled over a 40 foot cliff and into the creek bottom where it was piled up on a small log jam. I was fired up and ran right up to it, it quickly turned around and growled at me, I froze not expecting it to still be alive before I gave him one last bullet. One hell of a rush and it hooked me on bear hunting for life but I did need to change my shorts!
Blacktail sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #113
stevenzimm
Steelhead

Last archery elk season I was scaling a shale rock ledge and my footing started to slip I slid about 30 ft down a cliff side luckly I got my bearings back before I hit the shear ledge. About that it was the end for me. When I stopped I just sat there for a while trying to get my heart and breathing under control. We will see whats instore this season.
stevenzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #114
SuperPanga
Steelhead

About 40 years ago after an elk hunt we were standing with our backs to our camp fire to dry out.One of our guys decides to be funny and tosses a full gallon jug of Coleman white gas and a hand full of 22 shells into the camp fire without saying anything then starts running away. Did not get hurt but the resulting fire ball and the 22 shells going off scared the crap out of us.
SuperPanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #115
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPanga View Post
About 40 years ago after an elk hunt we were standing with our backs to our camp fire to dry out.One of our guys decides to be funny and tosses a full gallon jug of Coleman white gas and a hand full of 22 shells into the camp fire without saying anything then starts running away. Did not get hurt but the resulting fire ball and the 22 shells going off scared the crap out of us.

Your "friend" is' a complete idiot!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #116
Ry-Ry
Chromer

Thumbs down Re: Scariest moment while hunting

Mine would have to be when i went into my wall tent at dark to stock the stove an a hunter that was with us was in by his cot checking his 300 WSM and shot a round off going threw my canvas on the back of my stove. Only 3 feet from death. And to think this dummy has kids that he wants to take hunting.. To make a this short i don't hunt with him anymore. We pulled the bolt out of his gun. Sad thing is that the gun was a Tikka which has a clip that wasn't removed.
Ryan
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #117
Rusty Stern
Tuna!

Several years ago heading out duck hunting we left chinook landing heading to the delta (before it was ruined).

There was some good fog on the river and shortly we found ourselves engrossed in the thickest fog I've ever been in. We were completely disoriented and could not even see the water to get our bearings on which way the current was going.

We were surrounded by the sound of a large tug. The whooshing of the diesels churning was loud and constant. Worse yet, there was no wake. So we were either in front or behind a tug pushing a barge. In our 14 ft skiff we were no match. Fog so thick no light could permeate it.

We would slowly run for a bit then stop and listen. As soon as we could say the sound was getting further away, we held our heading and eventually found the side of the river. We had to drop a rope over to see what direction the current was going and by that Could tell we were on the Washington side.

Waited for daylight and ran back across the river, loaded the boat back up, and went to breakfast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Rusty Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #118
camosled
Tuna!

1) Hiking into an area, at a log crossing, taking the gun out of the hands of another hunter who had been walking behind me on the narrow trail all morning and seeing that the gun was loaded with one in the chamber and the safety OFF.

2) While cow calling, baby bear comes to play with two camo hunters on the trail. It stops less than 10 feet away. Momma bear is in the brush 50 yards away rooting around fallen snags. The challenge: Back out fast but quietly so momma doesn't suspect anything. She flanked us for a bit, then went back to baby bear.

JM
camosled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #119
blackcloud17
Coho

Mine would on the high casade hunt last year sitting on a rock on top of a hill glassing and see a hunter with a rifle looking toward a trail below me and the hunter shoots and almost drills a guy packing out a forked horn with green,yellow,and pink tape all over the head
blackcloud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #120
cantgetneough
Cutthroat

Last year spike hunting an area I thought I knew pretty well, the fog moved in and I became a little disoriented. Still thinking that I knew where I was going, I came across a set of tracks in the snow of another hunter (not mine) so I followed them. After a few hundred yards now there were a couple sets of cat track. The tracks I was following ended up going in a big circle now I was really disoriented. Call one of my buddies on the radio and had them fire a shot. Headed toward the sound and met up with the rest of my party. Turns out I was heading in the right direction. GPS
cantgetneough is offline   Reply With Quote