Bobber doggin? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
steelie green
Steelhead

Default Bobber doggin?

I keep hearing about bobber doggin but don't have any idea what it is.
Anyone care to explain what it is?

Thanks
John

steelie green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Finny Business
Tuna!

Default Re: Bobber doggin?

we use this technique to fish Steelhead on the lower John Day river. It's easy and very productive! get a long rod with a spinning reel, use a slip bobber and a long leader ( 8 + feet ) and set the boober to the right depth, up there we use Coon stripe prawns for bait. point your boat down stream and use your kicker to keep the boat oriented. deploy the lines 80 - 100' behind the boat ( up stream from the boat ) and let the current drift you over the water you wish to fish. the kicker is used only to help keep the boat pointed the correct direction, you are not trolling and we will kick it in and out of gear as we go to accomplish this. toss the rod in the rod holder and just wait for the take down. its that simple. no need to watch the bobber either.. the rod will just double over when you get a take. simple and very effective technique.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Moose-head
Steelhead

I’ve not heard that term before, but a lot of the time on the Snake & C we will toss shrimp on a jig out below a bobber and let the boat drift slowly downstream it catches fish. We usually don't even have the kicker on unless we need it.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
DylanG
Chromer

^Agreed very effective technique. Although if you were looking to fish this technique from the bank it can be equally successful as I found out this past season.

Set your bobber rod up with a slip bobber (I use the west coast floats) usually a 3/8 ounce or 1/2 size float. Your main line runs to a snap swivel where you attach enough pencil lead to tick the bottom. Tie about a 3ft. leader to the snap swivel, on that leader have a size one hook tied with an egg loop. Now either fish boraxed eggs or a big trout bead pegged about 1in from the hook.
Now the key here is that your bobber will be pointing downstream. When the bobber is pointing downstream this means your pencil lead is ticking the bottom and your bead/eggs are being fished correctly and lying in the strike zone. Its a deadly technique to add to your steelhead arsenal, especially in low and clear water conditions.
DylanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Huntar
Steelhead

It is basically side-drifting with a float, generally using a little larger slinky or pencil lead. More forgiving in that you don't need to change weights as often for flow variance in different holes.
It is also the best way to mimick side-drifting from the bank.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Sublime
Sturgeon

From the bank, what's the difference between this and regular bobber fishing? Sounds the same..
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Chromer

You arent suspending the bait, or lure in a true, vertical manner. You are simply using a slightly under weighted(ideally) float to help keep your lead from hanging up on the bottom while you "cheater drift" fish the run, or hole.

If you are just starting out. Set your gear at 8-10 ft. and adjust your lead rather than your stop knot. Your float is pointing downstream, and kind of 'ticking' while your lead plinks off the bottom. If you see very pronounced movement on the float, lighten up, if the float wants to slide thru too quick, or doesnt 'tick' at all, or even tries to stand upright... More lead.
1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Chinookjinxd
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
You arent suspending the bait, or lure in a true, vertical manner. You are simply using a slightly under weighted(ideally) float to help keep your lead from hanging up on the bottom while you "cheater drift" fish the run, or hole.

If you are just starting out. Set your gear at 8-10 ft. and adjust your lead rather than your stop knot. Your float is pointing downstream, and kind of 'ticking' while your lead plinks off the bottom. If you see very pronounced movement on the float, lighten up, if the float wants to slide thru too quick, or doesnt 'tick' at all, or even tries to stand upright... More lead.
1911 that technique, I call that driggin, essentially drift Fishin with a float. Bobber doggin is casting your bait downstream of the boat and fishing the water before the boat reaches the stretch you wanna fish.

Is rather drift fish personally ! But it's a good technique for cover lotsa water.

Last edited by Chinookjinxd; 11-01-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Chinookjinxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
10-7
Chromer

1911, with the technique you described I'm trying to visualize the set up. Is it a slip float to swivel, then a leader with the lead partially touching bottom. Where is the bait in this set-up, tied inline or at the bottom? I;m familair with bobberdoggin but haven't ever seen this.
10-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
Back trolling
Tuna!

Is this kind of the concept
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351763336.425963.jpg
Back trolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
derrick454
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanG View Post
^Agreed very effective technique. Although if you were looking to fish this technique from the bank it can be equally successful as I found out this past season.

Set your bobber rod up with a slip bobber (I use the west coast floats) usually a 3/8 ounce or 1/2 size float. Your main line runs to a snap swivel where you attach enough pencil lead to tick the bottom. Tie about a 3ft. leader to the snap swivel, on that leader have a size one hook tied with an egg loop. Now either fish boraxed eggs or a big trout bead pegged about 1in from the hook.
Now the key here is that your bobber will be pointing downstream. When the bobber is pointing downstream this means your pencil lead is ticking the bottom and your bead/eggs are being fished correctly and lying in the strike zone. Its a deadly technique to add to your steelhead arsenal, especially in low and clear water conditions.
Also the way I do it-One thing to do during higher flows is shorten your leader or add tiny split shot down your leader to keep bait in the zone
derrick454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
salmonslammaer
Steelhead

I've used bobber dogging with a pink worm! Man do steelhead love that!! It's a pretty funky, but super effective like stated above.
salmonslammaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Djflyfish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonslammaer View Post
I've used bobber dogging with a pink worm! Man do steelhead love that!! It's a pretty funky, but super effective like stated above.
i would like to try that pink worm technique on the columbia. How would u set that up salmonslayer?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
salmonslammaer
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djflyfish View Post
i would like to try that pink worm technique on the columbia. How would u set that up salmonslayer?
same way as the diagram that was posted earlier, except you throw on a pink worm. thread it backwards or forwards, doesnt seem to mattter. steelhead eat them!
salmonslammaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Mr Limpet
Steelhead

what I don't follow is...regarding the diagram offered...you're using 10' of line under the bobber to the weight. I would imagine that in most cases you would have enough to reach the bottom but others not. Also, in most cases you would be dragging with an increased chance of snagging..No?
Mr Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
10-7
Chromer

thats an interesting set-up may have to try it, tks guys
10-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Yellow North River
Steelhead

Here is the set up that I use.
9.5 ft lamiglas certified pro 4-10 lb spinning rod
Good Shimano spinning reel with 18lb yellow power pro.
Put a bobber stop 8ft up from your slinky, use a 1oz west coast float tie on a 4 ft side drift rig with a cheater and some good eggs

Put the drift boat in the middle of the river, cast to the seam inside and in front of the boat. The water in the seam is 4-5 ft deep slow the boat to the same speed as the float. The float will lean down stream and dink along as it pulls the slinky and bait down river.

I fish in the forks area with a guide every year and we can cover miles of river with out snagging up and catch lots of fish......Pretty AWSOME when the bobber jerks back up river!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
samdinger
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Limpet View Post
what I don't follow is...regarding the diagram offered...you're using 10' of line under the bobber to the weight. I would imagine that in most cases you would have enough to reach the bottom but others not. Also, in most cases you would be dragging with an increased chance of snagging..No?
Hence why you are using an underweighted float. the extra buoyancy of the float keeps your weight from hanging up. 8-10 ft is a general rule of thumb because it keeps you in contact with the bottom in 90% of instances. If the water is deeper, move your stop a little further up the line. If you are fishing shallower water most of the time, you could shorten the stop up a bit.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Chromer

So aparently the area where you cast this rig determines whether you are 'bobber dogging' or not... Hmm. OK, the rig is the same, boat, or bank. But you are able to use the boat to position your presentation. There is one huge difference. From the bank, or what some may call 'driggin' you are devoid of the boat, but you can get more passes thru the meat of the drift if you so choose. Whatever you want to call the 'rig'... It fishes well, and it fishes effectively without snagging if it is set-up proper.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
oregonboybend
Steelhead

Call me dumb here but if the bobber is always pushed by the current up to the upper bobber stop why do ya need a sliding float? why not just pin it and save the stops?
oregonboybend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #21
kill2hunt
Tuna!

Cause then you would have a super long leader trying to land a fish, almost impossible in a boat
Old 11-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
oregonboybend
Steelhead

Oh yeah... DUH!!
Thanks for the b.... slap!
oregonboybend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
JDarr

Should be a big article coming in STS about it in the next few months..... I hear the guy who wrote barely knows which end of the rod to hold thought.

JD
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelie green View Post
I keep hearing about bobber doggin but don't have any idea what it is.
Anyone care to explain what it is?

Thanks
John
I guess it's whatever method you want to make it with a bobber!

Everyone's got their own ideas of the term..

I always thought it was letting your bobber drag behind the boat letting your weight bounce bottom.
Bigworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #25
brushpuppy
Tuna!

This is all very interesting, and funny. Over the years I have used bobbers to keep from hanging up on limb snags, rocks etc. or to target fish suspended in a certain depth range. Sometimes my bobber is ahead of my presentation and sometimes it is behind it. Sometimes my presentation is bouncing bottom and some times it doesn't need to. Varies on the river conditions and dynamics of the stretch I am fishing and how the fish are reacting that particular day. How I fished with a bobber never mattered to me as long as I got results. Never worried about what to call it other than fishing with a bobber.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
steelheadking
Tuna!

How heavy if slinky (shots of lead?) and anyone want to be so kind as to make a video on how it's rigged (I'm that type of learner) and may be a follow up video of you fishing this in the up coming season

Tite lines.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
steelheadking
Tuna!

Found one!!! Hope you enjoy. Still maybe a follow up vid on how the bobber looks. Idk.

Question:
Bait cast or spinning?

9 1/2 or 10 1/2?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

I was always under the impression it was a technique used alot in lower tidewater or where there is a fairly consistent depth for an extended amount of river. I remember " bobberdogging " on the siletz down in tidewater in a friends sled. We would cast them out on each side of the boat. None of them would be hitting bottom all bobbers set at about 6 foot in depth and we just drifted downstream with the current. Using the motor only to reposition the sled. This was very effective that day.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
Moniker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR Steelheader View Post
I was always under the impression it was a technique used alot in lower tidewater or where there is a fairly consistent depth for an extended amount of river. I remember " bobberdogging " on the siletz down in tidewater in a friends sled. We would cast them out on each side of the boat. None of them would be hitting bottom all bobbers set at about 6 foot in depth and we just drifted downstream with the current. Using the motor only to reposition the sled. This was very effective that day.
Off the bottom is bobber fishing; on the bottom is bobberdoggin.
Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
Moniker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadking View Post
http://youtu.be/JvQBe1QBFr4

Found one!!! Hope you enjoy. Still maybe a follow up vid on how the bobber looks. Idk.

Question:
Bait cast or spinning?

9 1/2 or 10 1/2?
Either works fine; either length will suffice. I like the shorter rod in a drift boat an longer rod in a sled. Just personal preference though.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #31
kill2hunt
Tuna!

The only thing that Is getting me is if your bobber is out in front of the offering keeping the weight shuffling downstream how does this work out of a boat? Wouldn't there be unwanted slack, making setting the hook hard?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
BTA
Tuna!

Theres a pic of the way i tie up a bobber dogging rig in this thread
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=388066
BTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #33
Moniker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill2hunt View Post
The only thing that Is getting me is if your bobber is out in front of the offering keeping the weight shuffling downstream how does this work out of a boat? Wouldn't there be unwanted slack, making setting the hook hard?
Slack does happen, but you can keep it to a minimum when needed. Sometimes slack is good as it can speed up your gear in shallower water. Bobber down = reel til you feel, then set it and net it!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #34
Moniker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA View Post
Theres a pic of the way i tie up a bobber dogging rig in this thread
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=388066
Excellent diagram. I prefer a fixed weight, but to each their own.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
Agree to Disagree.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #36
steelheadking
Tuna!

Thanks BTA.... Im excited to get out and try it in some clearer water.

Pink Worm=Super Bait
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
Huntar
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
From the bank, what's the difference between this and regular bobber fishing? Sounds the same..
The weight dragging on the bottom. The bobber is set roughly double the depth of the water and helps drag the bait down in line with the current.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #38
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntar View Post
The weight dragging on the bottom. The bobber is set roughly double the depth of the water and helps drag the bait down in line with the current.
If your bait is being dragged downriver it is not being fished correctly. A perfect drift is when the bait is drifting as fast as the current is moving. Not being pulled down river.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #39
steelheadking
Tuna!

Quote:
If your bait is being dragged downriver it is not being fished correctly. A perfect drift is when the bait is drifting as fast as the current is moving. Not being pulled down river.
Boon dogging is dragging the bait down stream and it works
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #40
brushpuppy
Tuna!

One thing about any fishing technique, if it works, it works. There is no "against the grain" there is just another way of doing it and if a fish is hooked legally then it works. Call any technique whatever you want. The name does not matter as much as the results.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #41
JDarr

There's no right way, but there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

JD
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #42
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Well said.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #43
You caught how many?
Chromer

Lots of good answers on here. Basics, floating in a boat with your bobber out free flowing with the speed of the current, creating the most natural presentation you can with a bobber. Use any bait, plastic you prefer, works great!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #44
SantiamDrifter
Chromer

Quote:
Agree to Disagree.
Well there is a difference in the two styles he brought up. There's vertical float fishing, then float drifting. Most people refer to bobberdoggin when doing the float drifting. Float fishing, from what it sounds like you guys were doing, would be the vertical float fishing. When your weight isnt dragging bottom. But there's as many different names for it as there are people doing it.
SantiamDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #45
Moniker
Chromer

Quote:
You're right. Guess everyone that drags their bait 'doggin is wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dooooooooood, why do they call it drift fishing with training wheels? I feel an epiphany coming on......
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #46
BentMetal
Chromer

When I was in Canada last, about ten years ago, I was watching a fishing show where they were float fishing, and talked about the weight dragging on the bottom, which I thought was weird, but it seems like they have been fishing that way for a long time.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #47
alanmikkelsen
Tuna!

OK, I'll take a stab at what I call bobber doggin'. I have the bobber stop set above the weight (fixed) 2'-4' deeper than the run I'm fishing. The bobber is fairly small-- what most people would call a 1/4 oz or smaller. The leader is standard length side drifting leader/yarn, 3'-4' long. The weight is ticking the bottom, just like side drifting.

The big advantage for this is in low, clear water. The bobber seems to keep the terminal gear working in the seam, much better than straight side drifting. That keeps the gear from working slowly back to the boat, which can happen in long drifts while side drifting. I don't really regard the bobber as a strike indicator, as much as an aid in keeping gear fishing where it should be. In clear water, I can keep the sled away from where I want to fish a bit further and still keep my baits working the seam I want them to be in.

I keep rods permanently rigged for bobber dogging on the boat. I switch between straight side drifting gear and bobber dogging, depending on the hole, water levels, clarity, etc. Some days the bobber dogging rods never get pulled out, other days they see heavy use. I try not to fish any run that's deeper than 10'-12' with a bobber dog outfit. I find I can stay on the bottom better with a straight side drift outfit in deeper water.

Hope this helps. I agree with the statement that if your bait is suspended from the bobber, you're bobber fishing, not bobber dogging, at least where I fish. If you're doggin' you're fishing the bottom.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #48
brushpuppy
Tuna!

When drift fishing you can do the standard cast across and swing down lightly tapping every couple of feet or you may cast upstream and baby it down stream until it is even with you and baby it down the run by back spooling. You can also cast across and down and back spool great swings across wide tail outs. I often use bobbers as strike indicators over rock piles and on the tail out swings as the bobber keeps my presentation moving when just the lead will hang up to often to get a smooth drift. Many times the sweeping tail out presentation is what triggers the strike. Bobbers are not training wheels they are a great tool.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #49
IdahoSH
Chromer

Quote:
I concur.

One would not bobberdog a jig or a wedding ring but rather fish them just off the bottom by adjusting the slip float appropriately for the depth of the run.
Conversely, one could drag bottom with eggs, worm, shrimp, plastic, etcetra. The term bobberdoggin' or "dragging bottom" works with bait whereas other presentations (jigs) fish better suspended.

I'm amazed there is confusion about the difference in Techniques and how to rig them up.

Last edited by IdahoSH; 11-02-2012 at 02:40 PM.
IdahoSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #50
Djflyfish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSH View Post
I concur.

One would not bobberdog a jig or a wedding ring but rather fish them just off the bottom by adjusting the slip float appropriately for the depth of the run.
Conversely, one could drag bottom with eggs, worm, shrimp, plastic, etcetra. The term bobberdoggin' or "dragging bottom" works with bait whereas other presentations (jigs) fish better suspended.

I'm amazed there is confusion about the difference in Technics and how to rig them up.
when using this technique with a bobber and a worm due the fish just drop these bobbers under? or is a subtle takedown?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #51
Chromer

When you're talkin worms... For me, the take lacks subtlety. For the most part anyways. Some are almost violent. But, the way the gear is working, float downstream of the worm... when the fish picks up the worm, you are sorta tight lined to it just having the float set correctly, so the bobber usually just disappears the second the fish STOPS the worm. The float stopping in the current, kind of pulls the worm to one side or the other, and pins the hook long enough for you to really give 'em the cork.. When fishing bait tho, sometimes all I see are the "twitches" when they eat it, and start sliding downstream with it in their mouth. But normally, it is a pretty solid bite regardless of whats being fished, for me anyways.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #52
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Quote:
You're right. Guess everyone that drags their bait 'doggin is wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dooooooooood, why do they call it drift fishing with training wheels? I feel an epiphany coming on......
I did not mean to make it sound like it was wrong. You could put a blueberry on a hook and eventually catch a fish or you could sidedrift with a 4 foot leader, small glob of eggs and corkie and do much better. And all of the other techniques in between. There's always techniques that do will do better dependant on water conditions, temperature, and other variables. What I am trying to say is there are more effective ways of fishing than dragging your bait downstream and I'm out. This thread has gone south.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #53
Moniker
Chromer

Quote:
I did not mean to make it sound like it was wrong. You could put a blueberry on a hook and eventually catch a fish or you could sidedrift with a 4 foot leader, small glob of eggs and corkie and do much better. And all of the other techniques in between. There's always techniques that do will do better dependant on water conditions, temperature, and other variables. What I am trying to say is there are more effective ways of fishing than dragging your bait downstream and I'm out. This thread has gone south.
1. You're right. In certain conditions, there are most definitely more effective methods.

2. The op asked about bobber dogging. Bobber dogging IS essentially side drifting with a bobber on the mainline to act as a lifting mechanism when fishing snaggy sections of water. The bobber is a nice strike indicator as well. It is an effective method in nearly any type of water but I think the method was originally hatched so anglers could fish water that is tough to side drift or drift. That is my understanding anyway.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #54
steelie green
Steelhead

Well I never expected so many good answers to my question. I think the art of bobber doggin has been very well explained and now I think that I have a good understanding of the process.
Thanks a lot everyone I'm gonna give it a go.

John
steelie green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #55
IdahoSH
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djflyfish View Post
when using this technique with a bobber and a worm due the fish just drop these bobbers under? or is a subtle takedown?
Either could happen depending on how aggressive the individual fish is. Some fish will bury the bobber while others barely submerge it in the same water conditions and even in the same run.

Good luck

Last edited by IdahoSH; 11-03-2012 at 09:06 AM.
IdahoSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #56
crobarr
Tuna!

this float was originally designed for a couple spots where steelhead love to sit, but the flow is too slow to drift fish, and they have been seeing jigs float past all day...... would also work very well for bobber doggin' i'd suspect....

obviously this is just off the lathe. no liner tube, paint or top coat yet.

crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #57
alanmikkelsen
Tuna!

Quote:
It totally depends on the conditions you are fishing. I fish from steelhead from October - March. Much of the time, water temperature is 34-36*. To side drift this, you need to slow down your presentations, so you need to drag more than if you are fishing really active fish at 45-55 degrees. It's all good, it's all fishing.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #58
steelheadking
Tuna!

One last question. Can you do it from the bank? I got I couple spots that I believe will work good for it
Old 11-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #59
Chromer

If bobber dogging is simply presenting the gear directly below you, then most likely not, but the same rig-up is able to "cheater drift" fish the same run.

From the bank, those really snaggy drifts are fishable all of a sudden. Takes a little time to dial it in, but you'll get 'em.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #60
chrome_girl
Fry

I'm no expert, but I was always under the impression that "bobber doggin" was simply float fishing the water in front of your boat as you drift down the river. So you are essentially fishing the water in front of you before you drift over the fish. I've caught some great steelhead this way, using roe and jigs. I just keep my setup from dragging along and snagging bottom. Hope that helps...
chrome_girl is offline   Reply With Quote