If you hit a deer... - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
northwest_5.9
Steelhead

Default If you hit a deer...

What would you do if you hit a deer with you car/truck? I see dead deer on the side of the road lots. I was just wondering what people would do... What i would do is harvest as much as i could (the reason i carry knives in the car and truck).

northwest_5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Default Re: If you hit a deer...

That's how a guy I know gets his buck every year. I keep telling him that a rifle and one bullet are way cheaper than all that gas but he never seems to listen.
waterfowlin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

Legally I don't think you can do anything with them except pull them off the road. Some states let you salvage meat off them, but most are so blood shot from the shock of getting hit they are jerky at best...
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Davy
Ifish Nate

you keep road kill now... yup.... get out a knife and fork
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
MN Sara
Steelhead

Is it legal in Oregon to keep road killed game animals now? I had thought it was illegal, last I heard?

Last year I was coming out of the woods after sundown (post deer season when I ate tag soup), and a small Toyota truck in front of me smashed the head and neck of a blacktail doe that jumped in front of them. She went bouncing down the highway in their headlights, and they just kept on driving.

She landed in the opposing lane of traffic...Coos Cty highway, no shoulder but a sharp drop down into fields, so I pulled over to pull her off and cut her throat if I had to (had to do this to 2 deer in MN hit by other people but not dead, and suffering)...but she died in 30 seconds or so.

I was so burned that I couldn't salvage that meat...especially after not getting a deer, and her being so fresh and all.

I got home, called OSP to report the dead deer, and they redirected me to ODOT so they could pick it up.

Would really loved to have salvaged what I could...shameful waste to let it sit there and rot.
MN Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Dextreme
Chromer

Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
jeffotto
Chromer

I hit a gnarly buck @ 4:00 a.m. Sunday morning near Winston on I-5. Hit him in the hips and spun him good. Stopped with pistol & light to put him down ~ he was able to flee all busted up. A shame indeed.

Curious question though. Is it legal to harvest the meat? Whats still edible anyway.

Coinincidentaly, 10 minutes later, 4 cow elk crossed my headlights. Eyes wide open til sunrise for sure!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
j8tnub
Chromer

I don't remeber where I heard this but someone told me it is not legal to take a deer that you hit. But the guy behind you could legally take it.
j8tnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
nailyard
Tuna!

Someone needs to Throw this to Teeb. He's the ex OSP Game cop.
nailyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
crabbait
King Salmon

It isn't legal. Here is the same discussion from two years ago:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=252018

Third post on that thread is from JerryM, a LEO:
Quote:
It is unlawful to knowingly or intentionally take or attempt to take a game animal by hitting it with a car. "Take," in Oregon, is inclusive of possessing. There is no time it is lawful to keep a road killed game animal. The state used to glean them but for liability reasons, no longer does.
Note that he specified "game animal". I understand that fur bearers are different if you are properly licensed.

Last edited by crabbait; 09-12-2012 at 09:48 AM.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailyard View Post
...or someone...no...ALL OF YOU that don't know should look it up in the regs!!!

Last edited by waterfowlin101; 09-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Hawk Wing
Steelhead

Back in 84 i was coming back to Lebanon from Eugene-back way through Brownsville and coming over top of Washburn Heights met up with Jeep who had just hit a nice 3 point.
I called Linn Countny Sheriffs office and they sent out Deputy to help.I had to knock on a door to ask to use a phone. Cell phones just kicking in.
The deer had a broken left back femur.
When I walkeded up on him he made it across the road and laid down.
Deputy shows up and I offer to put my tag on the buck which would be legal tomorrow. He could not do it.
I went down on side of road in fenceline brush and helped deputy to find deer and I used my flashlite to help him take aim and dispached wouned buck.
He told me someone would be by next daylight to dispose of buck.
I felt like such a waste had happened.
I had offered to tag the deer and I would have made good use of all the meat.
It would have ended my hunting season but it really seemend the "common sense "thing to do.'
I ended up driving that night all the way down to Southern Oregon and my friend harvested a nice buck.
I had visions of that buck being "disposed of and alll the meat wasted.
It still bugs me real bad when i think about the waste.
Hawk Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
chukardave1
Tuna!

They are changing the rules in other states to make use of the meat. OR seems to always be way behind on this kind of thing. Reminds me of motorized decoys, lighted nocks, expandable broadheads, etc.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
kodiak06
Steelhead

It was NOT LEGAL in 2011 for sure. We had a doe get hit hard by the house this past winter. Whole rear end unusable for her. I called the Co sheriff and was told if I finished her off, I could be charged with poaching. Long story short, I let her know of the safety hazards of having the deer in the middle of the road in a curve and put a 20ga to her. County showed up and said the deer would not be salvaged due to all the damaged meat. I was told that if I salveged any that I would be charged. Wow, I said. Total waste. Picked up 2 days later by them and disposed of.
kodiak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

I hit one this winter coming back from fishing. I did not kill it but it was hurt really, really bad. I called OSP and they had an officer on site in 15 minutes to put it down. It is not even legal to put it down yourself, which is a shame to see an animal suffer but its necessary because people would abuse it. We carted it off to the side of the road, its all we could do. According to the officer I talked to I did the legal thing
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
C-lice
Ifish Nate

Sadly, if it was legal I believe people would A. Swerve to hit deer, and B. Create traffic hazards picking them up.

I guess I am a lot less bothered by 'wasted' road killed deer than most people are. I see road-killed deer as an inevitable by-product of automobile use, and most of the road-killed deer I have seen were significantly damaged. Sorry, but too much bloodshot, punctured intestines, etc. most of the time to make me feel like I'm missing much.
Numbers 15:32-37
C-lice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
rooster85
Coho

It really is a shame that people cannot harvest the meat off a road kill deer or any mammal for that matter. But, like stated above, people would find a way to abuse it. You'd see an influx in bumpers built for this purpose. I'm certain theres salvageable meat on almost every road hit deer.
rooster85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
LeechLaker
Tuna!

Two deer were hit at 185th and sky line. Both deer suffered broken legs. When the WCSO arrived he located both deer in a field and put each deer down with his MP5. The property owner was there and asked the deputy what he should do with the deer. The deputy asked the property owner if he wanted them and he said that he did. The deputy wrote something on his business card which included a case number and gave it to the property owner and told h to enjoy the fresh venison.

Last edited by LeechLaker; 09-12-2012 at 12:13 PM.
LeechLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeechLaker View Post
Two deer were hit at 185th and sky line. Both deer suffered broken legs. When the WCSO arrived he located both deer in a field and put each deer down with his MP5. The property owner was there and asked the deputy what he should do with the deer. The deputy asked the property owner if he wanted them and he said that he did. The deputy wrote something on his business card which included a case number and gave it to the property owner and told h to enjoy the fresh venison.
wish this happened more! I wonder if this had something to do with the deer being on private property.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

I do not know if it is illegal - believe it is

MAny states - you call the police and many areas attempt to recover the meat for orphanges or other charities.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Mayhem
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-lice View Post
Sadly, if it was legal I believe people would A. Swerve to hit deer, and B. Create traffic hazards picking them up.
Agreed. We'd have trucks speeding up and down roads at night looking for dinner.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
Travman
Steelhead

Had a friend and his family see a moose hit on I-84 here in Idaho near the Utah border a few years back with mostly head/neck damage. They called ISP to see if they could come in on the frontage road and salvage it. Unfortunately the answer was no, they had to let it lay. I was glad to find out they finally changed that law recently. So now, if I hit a deer.....I'm taking it home!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailyard View Post
...... caught it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8tnub View Post
I don't remeber where I heard this but someone told me it is not legal to take a deer that you hit. But the guy behind you could legally take it.
It is not legal to pick up road killed game animals. It is not legal for the guy behind you to pick up road killed game animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
.......... I understand that fur bearers are different if you are properly licensed. .....
Page 3 of the Furbearer Regulations
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...egulations.pdf

A licensed furtaker may sell or exchange, and any person may purchase, road-killed furbearers or unprotected mammals, provided that:
1. The road-kill is taken by a licensed furtaker during an authorized
season for hunting or trapping the species, and
2. The sale is made by the licensed furtaker who took the road-kill
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
northwest_5.9
Steelhead

i still think i'll drag it animal off in the trees somewhere and get what i could. just say'n!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
oregun8
Steelhead

OK, TEEB, how about this one.

When taking my son through hunter safety at Tri-county some years ago. The instructors said that it was both legal and ethical to put down a wounded animal and then report it to OSP. Such as a deer hit by a car or a badly wounded deer or elk in the woods for example. Is this a accurate statement. I agree with the ethical part. The legal part makes me nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeb View Post
...... caught it.

It is not legal to pick up road killed game animals. It is not legal for the guy behind you to pick up road killed game animals.

Page 3 of the Furbearer Regulations
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...egulations.pdf

A licensed furtaker may sell or exchange, and any person may purchase, road-killed furbearers or unprotected mammals, provided that:
1. The road-kill is taken by a licensed furtaker during an authorized
season for hunting or trapping the species, and
2. The sale is made by the licensed furtaker who took the road-kill
oregun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #26
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregun8 View Post

When taking my son through hunter safety at Tri-county some years ago. The instructors said that it was both legal and ethical to put down a wounded animal and then report it to OSP. Such as a deer hit by a car or a badly wounded deer or elk in the woods for example. Is this a accurate statement. I agree with the ethical part. The legal part makes me nervous.
I do not know the law on this one, but I do have an experience to share.

Wounded deer North of Corvallis on Hwy 99. It wasn't really holding up traffic but all the gawkers were. I called OSP and reported it. I informed them I would be happy to put the animal down. They asked me to use my truck as a barrier and do so while they remained on the phone. I did as they asked and life went on.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
westcoastsrt4
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMaguire View Post
I hit one this winter coming back from fishing. I did not kill it but it was hurt really, really bad. I called OSP and they had an officer on site in 15 minutes to put it down. It is not even legal to put it down yourself, which is a shame to see an animal suffer but its necessary because people would abuse it. We carted it off to the side of the road, its all we could do. According to the officer I talked to I did the legal thing

i think that officer may have givin you the wrong info

here is the ors statute

498.016 Taking crippled or helpless wildlife. Nothing in the wildlife laws is intended to prohibit any person from killing any crippled or helpless wildlife when the killing is done for a humane purpose. Any person so killing any wildlife shall immediately report such killing to a person authorized to enforce the wildlife laws, and shall dispose of the wildlife in such manner as the State Fish and Wildlife Commission directs. [1973 c.723 �76]

Last edited by westcoastsrt4; 09-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
westcoastsrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Maineiac
Steelhead

I know a fella who was driving a federal rig home from Coos Bay when a deer ran into his driver's side door, spun around and got clocked by the car behind. The guy pulled over as did the car behind him which was occupied by two crying teenagers who had just done some serious damage to their parent's car. The guy in the fed. rig grabbed a shovel from the back of the rig and killed the deer by striking it in the head. Everyone involved continued along on their way home, no harm no foul. Moral of the story is do what is right and in the best interest of all involved (including the animal), and go home knowing you did the right thing.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #29
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I finished off a deer in the ditch near the sewage treatment plant at the edge of Hillsboro. I was leaving as local deputy was walking up. He asked if I had my concealed carry permit. Told him I wasn't carrying, just had it in the truck. He said "thanks," and that was it. He didn't look like he had the stomach, very nervous, for what I did.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #30
ralf chumsalot
Steelhead

Years ago a buddy of mine was towing a flat bed trailer with a big empty wooden box on it. A deer jumped behind his truck and smashed into the box on the trailer. It never moved after that and he never stopped. Yes it did have some damaged meat but no worse than someone with poor shot placement.

Oh wait I said that wrong. Seeing how my buddy is disabled and in a wheel chair, He promptly got help and returned the dead deer to the seen of the accident!

It is a shame that all these animals end up going to waste. I like the idea of being able to call the state trooper and letting him issue a harvest tag for an animal that was hit unintentionally.

I do not support the taking of animals with a car or truck! I do support taking home of such animals though.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #31
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

It is sad to see good meat go to waste
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
driven2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregun8 View Post

I don't care what the law says if I come across a mortally wounded animal in any situation I'm putting it down. I've had to do it once and I would do it again.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #33
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2fish View Post
I don't care what the law says if I come across a mortally wounded animal in any situation I'm putting it down. I've had to do it once and I would do it again.
As mentioned above you can.....

498.016 Taking crippled or helpless wildlife. Nothing in the wildlife laws is intended to prohibit any person from killing any crippled or helpless wildlife when the killing is done for a humane purpose. Any person so killing any wildlife shall immediately report such killing to a person authorized to enforce the wildlife laws, and shall dispose of the wildlife in such manner as the State Fish and Wildlife Commission directs. [1973 c.723 �76]

In Washington, I don't have a clue.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
BucksDucks-n-Bulls
Steelhead

Two...errr..."personal" stories. I know a guy... probably 10 years ago, at least. his dad hit a deer while driving to work. His dad throws it in the back of his truck. Takes it home. Asks his son to clean it, see if there's anything salvageable. Deer gets dressed in the garage. Couple nights later, the son and his buddy butcher the deer. They got 3/4 of the meat off it. Only lost a front shoulder. The dad had called police to ask what to do with it. They told him to leave it. Illegal taking of game. Well, it got eaten.
While in Idaho this past spring, another...um, guy I know... was having dinner with a large party at a restaurant. A rental car hit a young doe in front of the restaurant. Broken legs, struggling to get up, gasping for air. Some people wanted to leave it be and wait for it to walk away...with backward legs. Good luck on that. Guy (hunter) with common sense and compassion, no knife, no gun, in front of restaurant, proceeds to step on throat of young doe as inconspicuously as possible so as not to shock everyone watching from inside. Within a couple minutes, she had stopped moving altogether. Guy checked for vital signs (no breath, no heaving of chest, no movement at all). Dragged deer off to the side of the parking lot out of the way of traffic.
Few minutes later, cops showed up to address the situation. Since I had...been witness...to the whole situation, and knwoing that Idaho had recently made it legal to obtain roadkill, I hung out and asked some questions of the law enforcement. Found out that anybody can take roadkilled animals. They have 48 hours to report to Idaho fish and game. F and G writes up a little reciept and you're good to go. Doesn't use a tag or anything. Just report and eat it. I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #35
elkaddict
Steelhead

i think the first mistake most people make is calling anybody. on things like this if you ask 99% of the time they wont let you.
last year in wyoming we came across a nice pronghorn buck that had been hit. he was still kicking. didnt investigate cuz it looked as if it had been poached in a drive by. the next day it was still there but had been half eaten by coyotes. wish we woulda stopped cuz we had 2 more tags

reel young guns
elkaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #36
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

Interesting point, if you have a valid tag, in the unit, tag a road kill?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #37
Davy
Ifish Nate

hmmm, thought they had changed the law.... lock me up, Scotty or is it Jonnie?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #38
archy99
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowlin101 View Post
I do not know the law on this one, but I do have an experience to share.

Wounded deer North of Corvallis on Hwy 99. It wasn't really holding up traffic but all the gawkers were. I called OSP and reported it. I informed them I would be happy to put the animal down. They asked me to use my truck as a barrier and do so while they remained on the phone. I did as they asked and life went on.
Did about the same up in WA on the coast...guy on a dresser Harley had t-boned a lightweight button buck just in front of the hindquarters. Deer was still kicking in the ditch, so I put it down with a pistol, and waited with the biker for the cops (someone had called it in as they passed). Figured I'd get a talking to for discharging a gun along a highway, but the sheriff had no issues with it and just thanked me for my assistance. Seemed pretty common sense.

FWIW, the bike was pretty twisted (and covered with deer poop along one side, as was the rider), but the guy actually kept it upright after hitting the deer...he was pretty shook up though.

Never did inquire about salvage, but it wouldn't have been in the cards anyway due to how (and how hard) he hit it.
archy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #39
haringsjosh
Chromer

Personally I think the law should be changed to allow us to put down wounded animals. Not getting into the poaching or illegal stuff.

Either way, last year I was headed to fish the Sandy at 5am when the car in front of me had a small buck go flying over it's hood. The driver got out completely panicking because the deer was crawling into the ditch with only it's front legs (obviously paralyzed). I talked to him stating I would put the deer down for him and he kept talking about getting a vet to fix this deer (there is no fixing a paralyzed deer). There was no cel service. The driver was running down the road to a house to call the police. I could not stand watching this animal suffer (knowing it would take every bit of 20 minutes for an officer to respond), the only thing I had was a 2lb hammer. Well, I didn't allow that deer to suffer anymore.

No one should allow any animal to suffer, especially if there is no way of saving it. I believe any good person would do the right thing and put it down. Salvaging the meat is a different question. I left the deer in the ditch knowing I cannot keep deer hit by cars in Oregon. Hope others do the right thing.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
Gilk
Steelhead

Each case is different but between the broken bones and the bruising I can't imagine how much of the meat would be worth saving.
Gilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #41
ogrejager
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by haringsjosh View Post
Personally I think the law should be changed to allow us to put down wounded animals. Not getting into the poaching or illegal stuff.
Quoting from higher in this thread, as has been mentioned I think twice now:

ogrejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #42
jonn5335
Tuna!

Call wdfw sometimes they let you keep them sometimes they donate them to charity. A neighbour of mine had a doe screaming hung by the back legs on his chain link fence he called wdfw they let him put it down and keep the meat.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #43
ralf chumsalot
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMaguire View Post
Interesting point, if you have a valid tag, in the unit, tag a road kill?

Law says no, It would not have been taken legally with a gun or bow.
Me I would look the other way if I seen someone punching a tag on road kill or taking it without a tag. I would probably help them load it into there truck!

On the other hand if I see someone going out of there way to hit something so they can have roadkill there is a number on the back of my tag to call and report on such things!

I wonder how many would turn someone in for cleaning up the road way?

Last edited by ralf chumsalot; 09-13-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: wording
ralf chumsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #44
northwest_5.9
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf chumsalot View Post
Law says no, It would not have been taken legally with a gun or bow.
Me I would look the other way if I seen someone punching a tag on road kill or taking it without a tag. I would probably help them load it into there truck!

On the other hand if I see someone going out of there way to hit something so they can have roadkill there is a number on the back of my tag to call and report on such things!

I wonder how many would turn someone in for cleaning up the road way?
I with you on this on.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #45
GermanBrown
Ifish Nate

I thought you could call the Sheriff's department and they could judge whether or not you can keep it?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #46
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanBrown View Post
I thought you could call the Sheriff's department and they could judge whether or not you can keep it?
They have no jurisdiction over wildlife.

If you hit a deer, finish it off (if outside city limits) and drag it off to the side of the road and then report the kill to OSP or ODF&W, period!

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
GermanBrown
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank amateur View Post
they have no jurisdiction over wildlife.

if you hit a deer, finish it off (if outside city limits) and drag it off to the side of the road and then report the kill to osp or odf&w, period!
odfw?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #48
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
odfw?
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #49
kill2hunt
Tuna!

I was hunting the silverton hills one late season bow. In the middle of the day a bruiser of a buck took off across the fields and ran straight across silver falls highway. Where he met his end to a Honda civic. Wish I could of ragged him and i would of on a heartbeat! What a shame to me they deserve a honorable death and to be appreciated, not to be hit by a vehicle and left in the ditch.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #50
mpmax
Chromer

I hit a cow elk in the fog on Hwy 26 near mp 22 in the late 80's. Caught her on her rear quarter, lucky to have missed the herd in front of her. Finished her with a tire iron in the ditch...wished I was carrying a gun, or knife, or anything else. By the time I hitched back to Seaside, called my roommate in Portland to pick me up, and got back to the truck, somebody picked the elk up out of the ditch, it was gone...Just had the hair in the grill left.
mpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #51
GermanBrown
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Lol yeah I know, I'm an Oregon resident. I was referring to checking with ODFW instead of the Sheriff's Department to see if you can keep a roadkill deer. Must have accidentally quoted that post instead of the one one I mean to.

Last edited by GermanBrown; 09-13-2012 at 08:26 PM.
GermanBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #52
baltz526
King Salmon

The reality is ODFW can asign the roadkill big game animal to a person for food use. It is in their authority to decide to do it. They do not choose to do it, because it would be a huge extra work head ache. A budget nightmare, where each animal would have to be assesed by a ODFW field worker. Case numbers filed with details of every case recorded. Mostly after normal work hours in the dark. Everything is not ponys and rainbows
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #53
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

ok I was thinking about this

say you see a deer hit, you have a tag for the unit, deer is off the road and you shoot it to take it out of its misery. Are there laws saying you cant fill your deer tag with an injured or sick deer? As long as you’re legally off the road I mean I don’t see the harm. It would be the same as shooting a deer hobbling through the woods with a broken hip or leg and you pop it.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #54
GermanBrown
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pultz View Post
ok I was thinking about this

say you see a deer hit, you have a tag for the unit, deer is off the road and you shoot it to take it out of its misery. Are there laws saying you cant fill your deer tag with an injured or sick deer? As long as you’re legally off the road I mean I don’t see the harm. It would be the same as shooting a deer hobbling through the woods with a broken hip or leg and you pop it.
Except you'd probably have to retire the deer with a rifle, since handguns are not a legal means of take.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #55
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Except you'd probably have to retire the deer with a rifle, since handguns are not a legal means of take.
If you are talking about Oregon, you might want to read the regs before you give advice, specifically page 30 of the big game regs.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #56
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

Quote:
Umm in Oregon it's legal to hunt deer with a handgun
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #57
CIA Outfitters

And there is no magazine capacity limit(33 rounds without a reload )

Now booking Spring Chinook and Buoy 10

www.CatchItAlloutfitters.com

Jared Jorgensen
Jared.Jorgensen.Verified@Gmail.com

CIA Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #58
blackcaphunter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill2hunt View Post
I was hunting the silverton hills one late season bow. In the middle of the day a bruiser of a buck took off across the fields and ran straight across silver falls highway. Where he met his end to a Honda civic. Wish I could of ragged him and i would of on a heartbeat! What a shame to me they deserve a honorable death and to be appreciated, not to be hit by a vehicle and left in the ditch.
So driving an arrow through their lungs and letting them choke to death on their own blood is honorable? Lol nothing personal against you I have just never understood this line of thinking.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
blackcaphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #59
northwest_5.9
Steelhead

so i work for the railroad and i've hit deer in the past. I also stopped and picked them up and took what i could off the deer. so would it be "road kill" if it were on the train tracks? legal or illegal???
Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #60
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaphunter View Post
So driving an arrow through their lungs and letting them choke to death on their own blood is honorable? Lol nothing personal against you I have just never understood this line of thinking.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
An arrow though the lungs kills by pneumothorax. The lungs are no longer able to fill and empty because the vacuum is lost. Then there is the massive blood loss. Loss of consciousness is quick due to lack of oxygen to the brain.

I shot an elk through both lungs as it was feeding on huckleberries. It raised its head and looked around, then walked slowly to nearby cover and bedded. It lay its head down for the last time in less than a minute. I would say that is preferable to being hit by a car.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote