Help Shipping Smoked Salmon - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Waterfrontfish
Steelhead

Default Help Shipping Smoked Salmon

Need to ship some smoked salmon to Texas. I've got it vacuum packed and frozen using my Foodsaver. Just need to send a few small 3 inch fillet chunks. Any ideas? Thanks, be well and fish on! Mark.

Waterfrontfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Default Re: Help Shipping Smoked Salmon

Get a small foam cooler and pack smoked salmon in with dry ice. Tape up the cooler good and tight. Should be fine for 3 days given the temperatures.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
BTA
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandsandpiper View Post
Get a small foam cooler and pack smoked salmon in with dry ice. Tape up the cooler good and tight. Should be fine for 3 days given the temperatures.
Thats how you make a dry ice bomb
BTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

Dry ice in a cooler will be fine as long as it is not air tight. Even if you tape it air tight, the seams will leak and it will not blow up. Send it over night though. Don't risk it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA View Post
Thats how you make a dry ice bomb
Nope. I've shipped hundreds of biological DNA samples just this way and never had one of them blow up.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Merganser99
Chromer

I just vacuum pack it, put it in a box and take it to the post office. I usually send a couple packages a year as far as South Carolina. It's never been a problem and always arrived in good shape.

I will say that I smoke my salmon until it's pretty dry. It may ship better that way.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Smokey360
Chromer

Hey Mark, I've got a foam cooler, might be a little big, but you could have it.
Smokey360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
crispycritter
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfrontfish View Post
Need to ship some smoked salmon to Texas. I've got it vacuum packed and frozen using my Foodsaver. Just need to send a few small 3 inch fillet chunks. Any ideas? Thanks, be well and fish on! Mark.

Mark, get a small foam cooler kinda of like the ones Omaha steaks come in, wrap your packages in newspaper then pack in cooler with wadded up newspaper and Fedex 2nd day delivery. I ship salmon to Florida all the time and never have a problem. Make sure someone is there to except it so its not setting on the front steps all day.

Dennis

27' SeaSport "Cathy Gail"

Ilwaco, Wa.
crispycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
MalibuCrew
Fry

I smoked 3 king filets with a little extra salt/cure and a little drier than normal, vacuum sealed them, and shipped them to Iraq and Afghanistan (about 7-10 days). They arrived in great shape and complimented by an Alaskan as some of the best he's had. I wouldn't worry too much shipping them CONUS.
MalibuCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

Ok I need to raise a quick point. This fish has to stay cold (Below 41). A lot of you might have gotten lucky but you are risking making people very very ill.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
HammondSeaRanger
Ifish Nate

We ship smoked fish vacuum sealed to germany twice a year for the last 20 yrs. If its vacuum sealed it does not need to be kept cool.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
HammondSeaRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammondSeaRanger View Post
We ship smoked fish vacuum sealed to germany twice a year for the last 20 yrs. If its vacuum sealed it does not need to be kept cool.

Sorry, not true. I do food safety for a living.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
jajfish
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
Ok I need to raise a quick point. This fish has to stay cold (Below 41). A lot of you might have gotten lucky but you are risking making people very very ill.

Total BS you aren't risking anybody's health following the recommendations on this thread.

You don't need dry ice, most shipping and airlines won't accept it anyway.

Wrap in newspaper to reduce air space in box, add some frozen gel packs, put in foam box inside a good coragated box, tape well, write Keep Frozen on the outside and send.
jajfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
HammondSeaRanger
Ifish Nate

[QUOTE=Finaddict91;4222186]Sorry, not true. I do food safety for a living.

No true. 20 yrs ive shipped smoked salmon/sturgeon smoked vacuum sealed by mail to germany...once recieved they hold un cooled for months before eating...not one case of illness.

Thanks for calling me a liar.

HammondSeaRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

[QUOTE=HammondSeaRanger;4222196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
Sorry, not true. I do food safety for a living.

No true. 20 yrs ive shipped smoked salmon/sturgeon smoked vacuum sealed by mail to germany...once recieved they hold un cooled for months before eating...not one case of illness.

Thanks for calling me a liar.

Not a liar, just misinformed. You have gotten very very very lucky.

Look bottom line IT IS NOT SAFE TO SHIPPED SMOKED FISH UNLESS IT STAYS COLD. Botulism is not something to be toyed with.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

Vacuum packing just removes most air. It does not prevent spoilage.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

Right from the FDA. I don't care if anyone thinks I am just being a knowitall jerk bag. BUT I do this for a living. And if you want to risk making some one extremely sick because you do not want to spend the extra money to air an item and keep it cold that is fine. Just sharing some knowledge. Just laying out the FACTS. Just like wearing a life jacket...you might get away with it your whole life. But it only takes one time. The OP asked what the safe way to ship an item was and a lot of people gave him very poor advice.

"
C. botulinum forms toxin more rapidly at higher temperatures than at lower temperatures. The minimum temperature for growth and toxin formation by C. botulinum type E and nonproteolytic types B and F is 38°F (3.3°C). For type A and proteolytic types B and F, the minimum temperature for growth is 50°F (10°C). As the shelf life of refrigerated foods is increased, more time is available for C. botulinum growth and toxin formation. As storage temperatures increase, the time required for toxin formation is significantly shortened. Processors should expect that at some point during storage, distribution, display or consumer handling of refrigerated foods, proper refrigeration temperatures will not be maintained (especially for the nonproteolytic group). Surveys of retail display cases indicate that temperatures of 45-50°F (7-10°C) are not uncommon. Surveys of home refrigerators indicate that temperatures can exceed 50°F (10°C).
In reduced oxygen packaged products in which the spores of nonproteolytic C. botulinum are inhibited or destroyed (e.g., smoked fish, pasteurized crabmeat, pasteurized surimi), normal refrigeration temperatures of 40°F (4.4°C) are appropriate because they will limit the growth of proteolytic C. botulinum and other pathogens that may be present. Even in products where nonproteolytic C. botulinum is the target organism for the pasteurization process and vegetative pathogens, such as Listeria monocytogenes, are not likely to be present (e.g. pasteurized crabmeat, pasteurized surimi), a storage temperature of 40°F (4.4°C) is still appropriate because of the potential survival through the pasteurization process and recovery of spores of nonproteolytic C. botulinum aided by naturally occurring substances, such as lysozyme. In this case refrigeration serves as a prudent second barrier.
In reduced oxygen packaged products in which refrigeration is the sole barrier to outgrowth of nonproteolytic C. botulinum and the spores have not been destroyed (e.g. vacuum packaged raw fish, unpasteurized crayfish meat), the temperature must be maintained at 38°F (3.3°C) or below from packing to consumption. Ordinarily processors can ensure that temperatures are maintained at or below 38°F (3.3°C) while the product is in their control. However, current distribution channels do not ensure the maintenance of these temperatures after the product leaves their control. The use of time temperature integrators on each consumer package may be an appropriate means of enabling temperature control throughout distribution. Alternatively, products of this type may be safely marketed frozen, with appropriate labeling. For some products, control of C. botulinum can be achieved by breaking the vacuum seal before the product leaves the processor's control."
Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
bowhunterwa87
Cutthroat

What about canning the smoked salmon? Seen a hundred people with cans of smoked salmon n sturgeon in their cabinets ...
bowhunterwa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterwa87 View Post
What about canning the smoked salmon? Seen a hundred people with cans of smoked salmon n sturgeon in their cabinets ...
That is fine. Canning produces a shelf stable product. Also the commercial sealed smoked salmon you see on shelves in stores is processed differently then items done at home.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
Smokey360
Chromer

WOW!!!! A simple question turns into a pitting match, pretty sad how some of you act.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey360 View Post
WOW!!!! A simple question turns into a pitting match, pretty sad how some of you act.
What? I dont see that. I see someone that knows the correct way and wants to make sure nobody gets sick.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
Smokey360
Chromer

I see it, kinda sad too. Seems more like 2 people think they are are right and will continue pounding their chests.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #23
adobe wall
King Salmon

I got sick once from store bought vac packed smoked salmon that was not refrigerated when I bought it. I also ship a lot of fresh frozen and smoked fish back to nc.

If you can find the styrofoam shipping boxes that food and medicine is shipped in, those are best. I put as much fish in as I can with space for 2-3 lbs dry ice. I put the ice in two days early to drop the temp of the fish as low as I can. I add more dry ice the morning I ship. I take it to fedex on swan island and fill out the form that says i'm shipping dry ice. Winter i do second day, summer i do next day. Costs around a hundred bucks to ship. Dry ice from Freddie's or Baskin Robbins.
adobe wall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #24
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrownline View Post
Vacuum packing just removes most air. It does not prevent spoilage.
True, but the curing, if done right prevents spoilage. Look at pickles and other stuff that has been salt cured. Why do you think they put meat in barrels layered with salt years ago. Some of you are to high tech and need to learn some history.
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiteaser View Post
True, but the curing, if done right prevents spoilage. Look at pickles and other stuff that has been salt cured. Why do you think they put meat in barrels layered with salt years ago. Some of you are to high tech and need to learn some history.
True to a point. You can eat spoiled cucumbers without getting sick though. The fish packed in barrels years ago had way more salt than todays home smoked fish. You had to soak fish in water for a couple days just so you could eat it.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #26
Waterfrontfish
Steelhead

Lots of great tips, thanks! Definitely going to want to ship refrigerated. Can I use those ice gel packs you keep in the freezer and put them into a styrofoam insulated box with the vacuum packed fish? How about 2nd day air? Thanks again, be well and fish on! Mark.
Waterfrontfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #27
fishermike
Steelhead

Here's what you do. Eat it yourself and write a letter to the person letting them know how good it was and next time they should join you in person...... Dry Ice works like a charm.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #28
a12seccrx
Tuna!

I'm going to be shipping some smoked salmon to my girlfriend in Alaska. Vacume packed, several blue gel ice packs, wrapped with news paper and put in the freezer for a few days then ship as fast as economical in a styrofoam shipping box. Should be fine according to my research. However, I am no expert and I will be telling her if it's thawed before it gets to her, to just throw it out.
a12seccrx is offline   Reply With Quote