Columbia River Crawfish - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Hotshotda
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 157
Default Columbia River Crawfish

Hey all,

Anyone ever drop a crawfish trap in the comumbia above the I5 Bridge? I have done this at some of the lakes I have been to, but not the columbia. After seeing what my sturgeon bait looks like at times I am thinking about doing so...dropping a trap. I think it might do good. Any thoughts on this...good/bad?? Rules/regulations I may not be aware of?

Thank you,
Don.

Oh, and sturgeon fishing this last weekend along goverment island to I5 bridge was slow with a few shakers. I saw one keeper, barely, brought in close to the I5 bridge.


Last edited by Hotshotda; 07-30-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Hotshotda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
dilleytech
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 716
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshotda View Post
Hey all,

Anyone ever drop a crawfish trap in the comumbia above the I5 Bridge? I have done this at some of the lakes I have been to, but not the columbia. After seeing what my sturgeon bait looks like at times I am thinking about doing so...dropping a trap. I think it might do good. Any thoughts on this...good/bad?? Rules/regulations I may not be aware of?

Thank you,
Don.

Oh, and sturgeon fishing this last weekend along goverment island to I5 bridge was slow with a few shakers. I saw one keeper, barely, brought in close to the I5 bridge.
i have been doing a buit of it above bonneville lately, with good results letting go the little guys and keeping the eaters, with some measureing around 8 inches long its well worth it. i have been dropping them in the weedy shallow areas. and i have averaged 20 to 30 in each trap
dilleytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
dilleytech
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 716
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

there is a minimum size limit also and a max of 5 traps per person, check the wa fishing regs theres all the info you need to be legal in there
dilleytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Steeliedan
Chromer
 
Steeliedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Newberg, Or
Posts: 750
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Columbia Blues are some of the best crawdads I've ever ate!
Steeliedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
fishstik
Tuna!
 
fishstik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: S.W. Washington
Posts: 1,477
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

look for rocky areas, you will get some big ones, fried chicken was bait of choice for me!
__________________
Shopping at Cabelas with my wife is like hunting with a game warden!
Hawk fan forever! GO HAWKS!
TEAM "I caught a fish I wanna be a guide"
CCA Member! I.D.#1367098
fishstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
team anarchy
Tuna!
 
team anarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 1,978
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstik View Post
look for rocky areas, you will get some big ones, fried chicken was bait of choice for me!
Yup, chicken, just like for crabs in the salt.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
fishboys
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mayberry
Posts: 4,998
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

If you have any sturge carcasses they work the best. I have done this plenty up around beacon. They are big but not plentiful like other rivers but the size makes up for numbers.
__________________
Team IDGAF
fishboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 14,767
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeliedan View Post
Columbia Blues are some of the best crawdads I've ever ate!
No thanks, plenty of toxic free eaters in the high lakes.

http://public.health.oregon.gov/Heal.../columbia.aspx
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon
 
Fish_N_Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,435
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Columumbia....I like it.
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
dog501
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas ore
Posts: 1,714
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstik View Post
look for rocky areas, you will get some big ones, fried chicken was bait of choice for me!
Fried Chicken, or raw Chicken? Just curious.
dog501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
INSAYN
Chromer
 
INSAYN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 745
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog501 View Post
Fried Chicken, or raw Chicken? Just curious.

Depends on the quality of the fried chicken. If it's good enough for you to eat, use raw and eat the fried for lunch.
__________________
2010 Hobie Revolution w/Mirage drive SOT kayak
2008 Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 SOT Kayak
2005 Fish-Rite 16' Rogue
INSAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
waterbobber
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yakima
Posts: 3,203
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Lake River out of Vancouver Lake is full of huge dads....but I would not eat those...bait only! Scummy water....
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
namu mac
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ilwaco,WA
Posts: 2,601
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
No thanks, plenty of toxic free eaters in the high lakes.

http://public.health.oregon.gov/Heal.../columbia.aspx
This report is from 1996, I would liketo see a current one. I would also be cautious about eating mudbugs from the CR.
__________________
The worst day fishing beats staying home and doing yard work.
I eat salmon not Sea Lions
namu mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 14,767
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by namu mac View Post
This report is from 1996, I would liketo see a current one. I would also be cautious about eating mudbugs from the CR.
FYI the toxins are in the sediment of the river, they are not going any where.

The data can be read unjumbled on page 2.


http://yosemite.epa.gov/r10/ecocomm....Advisories.pdf



Oregon
www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/envtox/fishconsumption.shtml
Antelope Reservoir
Mercury
General
Women and Children – Do not eat
Others – Meal Limit

Columbia River, downstream of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
General
Avoid eating fatty parts of fish and organs
Columbia River east of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
Clams and Crayfish
Do Not Eat
Columbia Slough
PCBs
General
Avoid eating
Oregon
www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/envtox/fishconsumption.shtml
Antelope Reservoir
Mercury
General
Women and Children – Do not eat
Others – Meal Limit

Columbia River, downstream of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
General
Avoid eating fatty parts of fish and organs
Columbia River east of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
Clams and Crayfish
Do Not Eat
Columbia Slough
PCBs
General
Avoid eating
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
MegaByte
Sturgeon
 
MegaByte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Saint Helens
Posts: 4,053
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
FYI the toxins are in the sediment of the river, they are not going any where.

The data can be read unjumbled on page 2.


http://yosemite.epa.gov/r10/ecocomm....Advisories.pdf



Oregon
www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/envtox/fishconsumption.shtml
Antelope Reservoir
Mercury
General
Women and Children – Do not eat
Others – Meal Limit

Columbia River, downstream of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
General
Avoid eating fatty parts of fish and organs
Columbia River east of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
Clams and Crayfish
Do Not Eat
Columbia Slough
PCBs
General
Avoid eating
Oregon
www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/envtox/fishconsumption.shtml
Antelope Reservoir
Mercury
General
Women and Children – Do not eat
Others – Meal Limit

Columbia River, downstream of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
General
Avoid eating fatty parts of fish and organs
Columbia River east of Bonneville Dam
PCBs
Clams and Crayfish
Do Not Eat
Columbia Slough
PCBs
General
Avoid eating
Toxins and mercury and everything else that can kill you, including CHLORINE in your tap water are ingested daily by lots of people. I personally have eaten crawdads from both the MC and the CR and my last lead, mercury, pcb, radioactivity, and more have all met the standards to keep me alive. Its like anything else....eat it in excess, you are going to have issues over time. The scary part about all of this is I have seen commercial crawfish guys working both the CR and the MC and I would nor be surprised if those critters get served at Jakes!
MegaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 14,767
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte View Post
Toxins and mercury and everything else that can kill you, including CHLORINE in your tap water are ingested daily by lots of people. I personally have eaten crawdads from both the MC and the CR and my last lead, mercury, pcb, radioactivity, and more have all met the standards to keep me alive. Its like anything else....eat it in excess, you are going to have issues over time. The scary part about all of this is I have seen commercial crawfish guys working both the CR and the MC and I would nor be surprised if those critters get served at Jakes!

Sorry about the crummy copy and paste, but it says "Do Not Eat Any Shellfish from the LCR, specifically crawfish.
So your saying "I eat dads from MC and the LCR and it did not kill me"?
Ignoring a government warning to not eat something because it's toxic shows a lack of basic survival skills.
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Dinikin
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: Columumbia River Crawfish

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lumbia10m.html
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #18
Angl-argh!
Steelhead
 
Angl-argh!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 223
Default Re: Columbia River Crawfish

Last year I watched a commercial boat drop a string of traps several hundred feet long just down from the mouth of the Washougal slough.
Angl-argh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.42412 seconds with 39 queries