sorry guys i have another day pack question - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Birdhousepdx
Chromer

Default sorry guys i have another day pack question

Im going to be getting a badlands pack this week. Wondering if i should get the super day pack or the 2200 day pack? Ill be hunting eastern and western oregon just day trips but would be prepared to spend a unexpected night in the woods any input would be great. I also would be walking alot. Thanks

Birdhousepdx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
WapitiBob
Tuna!

Default Re: sorry guys i have another day pack question

The 2200 will have functional lifters should you put some weight in it as well as some more room.
WapitiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Catch 22
Tuna!

I have no experience with the Super Day but I hunt with a couple guys that LOVE those 2200s. I would take a 2200 over most "day" packs as it can carry some weight like Bob said and it leaves some room should you want to take some extra gear. At that price range, I'd look at an Eberlestock as well as they're made in the USA.
Ifish Member #161
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
baltz526
King Salmon

I have the old model utah made superday. It is a great pack. It is not a meat packable pack at all. Heart/liver is about it.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Why not get a modular pack you can build on later?
Like the Oregon Packworks "Rogue" or "Orion", or a Nimrod "Pinnacle" with roll up gear bag stowed inside, or Wilderness Pack Specialties "Compact Frame Combo".
Modular packs are nice in the fact that you can buy the base pack and build on it later as $$$ become available.

All the above packs are small & light yet fully capable of hauling serious loads.
I'm confident if I had 30min to show you the features of each of these packs you'd be a believer as well.
Anyway, just a suggestion.
Hunt'nFish
Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
Santiam338
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Why not get a modular pack you can build on later?
Like the Oregon Packworks "Rogue" or "Orion", or a Nimrod "Pinnacle" with roll up gear bag stowed inside, or Wilderness Pack Specialties "Compact Frame Combo".
Modular packs are nice in the fact that you can buy the base pack and build on it later as $$$ become available.

All the above packs are small & light yet fully capable of hauling serious loads.
I'm confident if I had 30min to show you the features of each of these packs you'd be a believer as well.
Anyway, just a suggestion.
Hunt'nFish
Very good advice...I wouldn't consider a pack that couldn't handle a full load on the first trip out...A hike out to get a frame is a wasted trip..
Old 04-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
Arrowslinger
Steelhead

It's tough to beat a 2200!!! I have one of the original ones.....and it will pack out everything on the first trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00985.jpg (196.7 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
Birdhousepdx
Chromer

I have not really checked out any other packs. This is my first year hunting and im not sure whats good or bad. It seems like you get what you pay for and i dont wanna have to buy this stuff twice...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
StandHunter
Coho

I have an older model 2200 and have been very happy with it. I can run light if I need to for short jaunts, or can load up for an overnighter if need be.

I am now starting to consider the modular set ups and a better weapons carry system for either bow or rifle.
StandHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhousepdx View Post
...i dont wanna have to buy this stuff twice...
for such forward thinking

and, depending on which stuff, for some it may be many more times than just twice that it was purchased

fortunately, in here you get the benefit of others trying it out first on your behalf
Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
coyotelite
Cutthroat

the 2200 is the way to go. It will accomidate a couple nights with the right gear and you can pack out a load with it on the first trip out because of the meat shelf.
coyotelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Chesapeake
Sturgeon

The Superday and 2200 are quite different packs. The Superday is a frameless backpack. The 2200 is a smaller internal frame pack.

For what you describe "hunting eastern and western oregon just day trips but would be prepared to spend a unexpected night in the woods", the 2200 would be the way to go in my opinion.

You could carry a deer quarter or two on the Superday, but the 2200 would carry it all if you wanted it to.

The back panel zipper on the 2200 is the best thing since sliced bread.

The only complaint I have for the 2200 is that my rangefinder dont fit in the hip pockets.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
packer
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
I have no experience with the Super Day but I hunt with a couple guys that LOVE those 2200s. I would take a 2200 over most "day" packs as it can carry some weight like Bob said and it leaves some room should you want to take some extra gear. At that price range, I'd look at an Eberlestock as well as they're made in the USA.
Eberlestock is made in Vietnam and Badlands is made in China
packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Birdhousepdx
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
for such forward thinking

and, depending on which stuff, for some it may be many more times than just twice that it was purchased

fortunately, in here you get the benefit of others trying it out first on your behalf
This is why i love ifish. A lot of very helpful tips and info.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
baltz526
King Salmon

Wilderness pack specialtys is made in klamathfalls oregon. After many years and several hunting packs, this is what i'm using. A WPS compact frame with a simple pack designed for the military frame attachements. To pack meat i just flip the pack up, drop out the meat sling. Strap in a quarter, drop pack on top and go. Not a badlands but the packframe is Oregon made by an Ifish'er
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Birdhousepdx
Chromer

I went to tbe wilderness web site and could not find any prices? Those are some nice packs and love the fact they are made here in oregon.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Tactical Huckleberry
Coho

I have been looking at both Badlands and Eberlestock. Went to Sportsmans Warehouse(well used to be) today and checked them out. Both brands seem like pretty awesome packs. But im really leaning towards the Eberlestock Gunslinger 2. Im going to end up buying it online because all they had was similar camo to the badlands packs. It just doesnt feel as tough to me as the 1000D Nylon that the military grade packs have. I like the fact that the GS2 can be compressed down into a decent day pack. And you cant beat all that Molle.
Tactical Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Catch 22
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer View Post
Eberlestock is made in Vietnam and Badlands is made in China
I don't want to believe you but I do. That's not what I "heard" but I don't even remember the source. The sad fact is you could say that about anything pretty much that'll fit in a shipping container anymore. I really try to support the local guy. But it leaves a person with very few options.

Seriously, a Badlands 4500 runs $400 now. A comparable Eberlestock was at least that last time I shopped. How hard could it possibly be to make a $400 backpack here??

I've been looking at new waders and boots and even pretty much the entire Simms lineup is made in China other than the top few models of waders. All their boots are made in China. At least the Goretex waders are made here. Every other brand of wader I know of, is made 100% off shore. It's seriously depressing.

That all being said I have a 1st Gen Badlands 4500 (the one with no front pockets) I got from a buddy this year and I'm in love with it. I just emptied it on the floor and found the tag. "Made in Vietnam"
Ifish Member #161

Last edited by Catch 22; 04-14-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Tactical Huckleberry
Coho

From what i have read it looks like eberlestock is made in Idaho..I truly hope this is the case. But ill keep researching because i am curious. A good website i use often is uscav.com
Order something once from them and the constantly send you discount emails.. The last one i got was 20% off.. took that 289$ Eberlestock GS2 down to 230 somthing.. But didnt have the money. Now got one for 15% off my order.. Think ill hold out for the 20% again
Tactical Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

Believe that Hornhunter is USA made. Utah, I think. Hornhunter himself would Know !! WPS is Oregon made, so is OPW. These are all in the same price range,or less than, the more "Famous", i.e. more advertised packs. You can build here and be competitive. Your profit margin per unit won't be as large.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
dla
Tuna!

I know that Eberlestock is headquarted in Idaho and they do final assembly in Idaho. Any warranty work is done in Idaho.

I know this guy and he sells them. He's part of the Pure Elevation team and is a serious backcountry bowhunter. I think you'll find the product videos helpful.
dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
Oregonhunter

I had the Superday and it was an awesome pack ...kinda wish I would have hung onto it now. lol

O
Oregonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
Yogi
Steelhead

Another vote for the 2200. Love mine.
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
ehunter
King Salmon

I have the super day pack and its not going to carry a lot of weight very far but it only weighs 3 lbs vs a 6 pound 2200 empty pack. For day hunts its starts out 3 lbs lighter.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
dropt1ne
Steelhead

The 2200 has been on camofire regularly lately for 45% or so off. just be patient at it will pop back up.
dropt1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
packer
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconRyan View Post
From what i have read it looks like eberlestock is made in Idaho..I truly hope this is the case. But ill keep researching because i am curious. A good website i use often is uscav.com
Order something once from them and the constantly send you discount emails.. The last one i got was 20% off.. took that 289$ Eberlestock GS2 down to 230 somthing.. But didnt have the money. Now got one for 15% off my order.. Think ill hold out for the 20% again
Vortec is the parent company for badlands and they moved to china around 2002 , Eberlestock was originally built in Idaho along with Blacks Creek they both moved offshore around 2005 . Here is a list of packs that are currently made in the USA , Mystery Ranch ,Nimrod, Outdoorsmans ,Jansens Hardcore Pack ,Kifaru . Rocky Mountain Packs , Oregon Pack Works , and Wilderness Pack Specialties . Lots of good packs out there and many times they are less expensive than the imports . Some of them are expensive but when you look at them they are very high quality . If I missed anybody on the USA label i apologize . IF you can't find a label you can bet a 99% chance its an import
packer is offline   Reply With Quote