7mm rem. mag factory ammo? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Goresky
Coho

Default 7mm rem. mag factory ammo?

I bought a Tikka in 7mm rem. mag, and am trying to figure out what factory bullet to shoot. I am not a hand loader. I will mostly be using it for Blackbear and occasionally deer. I chose this round, because there are so many options, but now it is daunting picking one. I am using a CDS Leupold, so I have to decide soon if I want to get my turret in time for spring bear trip in the end of may. So far I broke the gun in with Remington green box 150grn, and I have shot remington swift sciroccos 150 gr., and hornady super performance sst 139 gr.. I got 2" groups with the cheapest ammo, and just over an inch at 100 yds with the sciroccos, and hornady. Any 7 mm Tikka guys out their that have a factory load that shoots well for them? Has any one tried the HSM Berger 168 gr., bullets now available in 7 mm rem? Has anyone taken game with the swift scirocco bullets? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Gore

Goresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Default Re: 7mm rem. mag factory ammo?

Std Green Box Remington 175gr Core-Lokt's served me fine for years before I started handloading.
But today, I'd probably look to a high BC 160gr bonded poly tip boatail.
However, I'd probably settle for whichever grouped best.
Hunt'nFish
Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
riversledder
Tuna!

Most of my rifles really like the Federals with the Barnes Triple Shock ( TSX).
My 7MM mag groups really well with these.
riversledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
long_shot
Ifish Nate

I would look at the Barnes TTSX and Nosler Accubonds in the 140-160gr range. Both are very good all around bullets and will take down any animal in Oregon.

Last edited by long_shot; 04-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.
long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
2Rotten
Ifish Nate

For quality hunting ammunition I have had good success with the Federal Premium and the 160 Nosler Partition. Factory specs 2,950 fps, 3,091 foot-pounds of energy.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

Here are some words of wisdom a buddy told me once.
You wait four years to draw a tag
spend $600 for a gun
Another $500 for a great scope
All your gear for your hunt. and then the most important part the #1 part you skimp on ( I had got a good deal on Remington ammo $11.00 a box crap missed three different deer because it flew everywhere)

No I only shoot hand loads that have gone through the wringer with testing. I love them and there performance.

So I'm saying get the best money can buy.
Delta Waterfowl Sponser member #38
Deer Island OR.
Capin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Hawg Dreamin
Coho

Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 150 gr.. I did some distance shooting in Wyoming last year, and it worked great.
Hawg Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
jonn5335
Tuna!

I have a tikka in 7mm rem before I started handloading I used federal blue box 175grn soft points the first season I owned the rifle I managed to put a deer and elk down. If you are'nt shooting longer distances over 300yrds use a 175grn if you plan on reaching out and touching something look into Hornady 162grn SST's
Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
coyotelite
Cutthroat

winchester box ammo in 165 gr accubond are great. they shoot the closest in accuracy to my handloads. The accubond is a great round that performs well at all ranges.
coyotelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Cheap Shot
Steelhead

I love Remington Swift Siroccos 150 gr. I've killed four deer with them since I switched and they all dropped where they stood (all shot behind the front shoulder). They were shot from 67 - 260 yards and the bullet passed through on all four so I'm not too sure of weight retention, but I am sure of results on deer. This is from a Browning A-bolt that cloverleafs the Siroccos at 100 yards. I've got a picture of the exit wound on the last one I'll try to post later.

I used to shoot 140 grain Nosler Partitions by Federal but wanted a little bigger bullet for elk. The Federals shot really well also and dropped several deer in their tracks as well, but those were all high neck shots from a bi-pod. Again, the Nosler Partitions grouped excellent as well from my Browning.

I agree with the previous posters that suggested purchasing premium ammo. I hate paying $45+ dollars for a box of shells when you can get some for half that, but a box will usually last two seasons as I only shoot a few to insure it's still sighted in and what I need for hunting (hopefully only one.)I do shoot less expensive ammo at the range and luckily my Browning seems to shoot everything pretty well, but hunting ammo is one area where I don't scrimp now that I can afford it. Twenty years ago was a different story.
Cheap Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

I have a remington 700 in 7mag. I shoot Hornaday 139 grain BTSP's. The group well out of my gun under 1moa. And while some say the are too light I have taken deer, antelope, bear, and elk out to about 350yds with one shot one kill. Your mileage may vary but when I find something that works and I can get easily (usually on the shelf at warehouse sports) I stick with it.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
blackdog
Ifish Nate

As you can see, everyone's got their favorite. The message here should be that every gun likes what it likes, and that will be the case with your Tikka as well.

Just because your buddy with a Tikka 7mm shoots and likes one brand does not mean that the same ammo will shoot the same in your gun. Since you don't hand load, you will be better off spending a few extra bucks and getting three or four boxes of different high quality ammo and then going to the range to see which one shoots best in your rifle. That's the only way you'll really know what your gun likes. Other people's opinions really shouldn't matter other than being general starting points.
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
sandman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rotten View Post
For quality hunting ammunition I have had good success with the Federal Premium and the 160 Nosler Partition. Factory specs 2,950 fps, 3,091 foot-pounds of energy.

This is what i SHOOT! Very happy with them
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Pacific Fisher
Steelhead

Another vore for the Federal with Barnes TSX bullet. Very high performance bullet.
The Berger bullets have a very high BC and a good reputation for killing at long range, but they also have a reputation for needing precise seating depths close to the barrel to get the best accuracy. This is something you could tune to if you were handloading.

Craig Bell
Pacific Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
dog
Steelhead

Blackdog gave you the best advice possible. And should you happen to/decide to get into handloading for you 7mmmag then Blackdog still gave you the best advice possible. I would only add that when you are trying to find that combination that YOUR gun "really likes the best" that you try to find it with a "quality" big game bullet.
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

I hear what your saying Dan, but ammo rarely fails a hunter, usually the hunter fails the ammo.
The highest quality ammo is worth little if the guy pulling the trigger hasn't taken the time to practice with it.
Green box 175's killed everything I pointed them at, but like I said, I do think their is better choices for elk.

Thank you Blackdog to elaborating on the importance of finding an accurate load.
I would also add, actually shooting at 100, 300 & 500yds, and keeping a ballistic trajectory table out to 500yds is critical.
If we can't hit a pie plate at any arbitrary distance, we have no business shooting at live targets.
Hunt'nFish
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
Tilla
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rotten View Post

My Ruger Loves that stuff, from Lopes to Moose for over 30 years. Nothings walked away.

Last edited by Tilla; 04-04-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Tilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
Trophy Bonded
Chromer

As far as shooting factory ammo you can't go wrong with Federal Premium. The 160 grain accubonds or the trophy bonded tip are great choices.
Trophy Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
KingSlew
Ifish Nate

I agree with most of the posters, with the exception of Remington Core-Lokt ammo.
I have had bad experience with it in 175 grn. both on elk and blacktail in 7 MAG. No penetration and terrible blood shot.
In my opinion C-L is not good in the magnums. It may perform well in non magnum calibers like .30-06 and smaller, but it is too fragile for belted magnums at close range, 150 yards and less. It expends most of it's energy on impact, blowing up on the hide. If you hit bone it does massive damage.
Winchester Power Point (moderately priced ammo) in 150 grn. works very well on elk and deer in 7 MAG

Last edited by KingSlew; 04-05-2012 at 04:26 PM.
KingSlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Goresky
Coho

Thanks for all the good advice. I ordered some HSM trophy 168 gr bergers, some hornady sst 154 super performance, and plan on trying the federal premium 160gr. I hope to go back to the range, Saturday if the weather holds.

Gore
Goresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
KingSlew
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goresky View Post
Thanks for all the good advice. I ordered some HSM trophy 168 gr bergers, some hornady sst 154 super performance, and plan on trying the federal premium 160gr. I hope to go back to the range, Saturday if the weather holds.

Gore
Excellent choices. Between them you should be able to come up with a preference.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #22
Wren
Steelhead

Me too...Moose, Elk, Deer, Bear, Loupe's...!!! Ruger M77 old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
My Ruger Loves that stuff, from Lopes to Moose for over 30 years. Nothings walked away.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
beaverbeliever89
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goresky View Post

Gore
I use the 160 gr federal premium accubonds. They work great for my a-bolt. I tried many different brands and loads and all did fairly well at 100 yrds but the federals really out preformed at rangers 300 yrds and out. They are a little spendy but I barely go through a box a year, I did go through a few getting it sited in and such. I have been shooting those for the last few years and have not turned me down. I usually hunt eastside so long shots are a must, and never had a problem with the accuracy. I tried the federal blue box and they are all over the place out past 200 yrds. get what you pay for. I hope you find something that works! Good Luck!
beaverbeliever89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #24
Northwest Pest
Tuna!

Factory ammo is fine....just make sure you shoot rounds from that box with your rifle to make sure they group well for you. Peoples opinions are no sub for practice.