Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
bluefishes
Steelhead

Default Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette

Enough talk of the Big River--how about the reports from the truly sporting angler plying the water of the Big Muddy?? I've heard of more than a few.

bluefishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
fishinfool82
Steelhead

Default Re: Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette

fished the head of the channel maybe a hour after work monday no takes but marked a few. Hard not to go when you a free hour or so!
fishinfool82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Fishinbuck
Steelhead

The river is headed tonight from high and muddy to really high and really muddy.
Fishinbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
bluefishes
Steelhead

Mr Bill Monroe referenced a die-hard turbidity watcher who hooked one last Wednesday. The turbidity that day was 25+!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Memaloose
Steelhead

We fished Sellwood for 4 hours on Wednesday and it was dead. Never saw a fish or heard of a fish other than a small sturgeon being caught. Water was not very clear, could just barely make out the cavatation plate. Now the report is for 3+ inches of rain down the valley so it will be high and muddy for another two weeks.

Gotta love La Nina, ha ha.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Actually, we did the same, but landed four pikeminnows, four suckers, a large sculpin and released three sturgeon...bizarre...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Bill Monroe Jr.
Tuna!

Thumbs up Re: Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette

You should always try and Save lives, in order to be able to live life yourself.
Bill Monroe Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
bluefishes
Steelhead

"four pikeminnows, four suckers, a large sculpin and released three sturgeon."

A high-water Willamette Grand Slam
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Captain 40
Sturgeon

I'd suggest an official springer thread for the Multnomah Channel too! Anyone want to start that one? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Captain 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
jimpnl
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 40 View Post
I'd suggest an official springer thread for the Multnomah Channel too! Anyone want to start that one? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
I want one too!I want one too! How....about.....the LewisJust kidding
jimpnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
brushpuppy
Tuna!

Thursday was good, if you were out (Only 1 other boat that I saw and we both found fish). Friday should have been good till about 11am when the water started going back to muck.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Bassjacker
Chromer

Fished the lower willy last night - no luck, was a great test run for the new small boat!

2 rods, both cut plug one with flasher, one without. 1600ish till dark
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
bluefishes
Steelhead

what's the max turbidity folks fish?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
CKthumper
Tuna!

I've seen them caught at 17....Look up the Hawg Quest episode where they fish with Fish Hawk in the MC... it looked pretty dirty....

If I can see my cavitation plate I think I have a chance...about a foot at the surface.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
Memaloose
Steelhead

I fish it at 15 but I have more confidence in 12 or less. Going to be a while before we see 12 with it pushing 60 this morning.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
jr69cam
Tuna!

Here we go
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
wiser
Ifish Nate

Three more won't make it to the falls after an encounter with Kunnan/Dakota/shortbus plugged green today. They were sidelined to our fishbox.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
tdouglas1641
Chromer

saw one fish picked up in the lower channel, marked lots of fish across from the big mill. No biters, water looked good.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Chinook311
Chromer

Trolled Clifton after work yesterday and lost a 25 lb fish to a stinking furbag. Tried again tonight and we hit one nate for 4 rods.
Chinook311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
Trey Carskadon
Steelhead

Fished with Buzz Ramsey today, we went 2 for 2. One marked, one unmarked. Water temp. @ 49 degrees. We launched at Willamette Park fished above the Hawthorne Bridge, went behind the island, trolled the Spaghetti Factory and didn't mark a fish anywhere along the way. Motored upriver to the Milwaukie Trestle and found our first fish downriver of the trestle trolled cut plug herring and 10" Fish Flash in Chartreuse and Red at 14 pulls (26' on my line counter) with 6 ounces of lead. The second fish came on the same gear on the west side across from Waverly...also 14 pulls. Never saw another net out or fish on. Heard mixed reports of a bite just upriver of Waverly on the east side, another bite at Sellwood on the turn of the tide and the first part of the runout and downriver at Portland Harbor on the turn of the tide. Save me a spot in the parking lot...I'm fishing tomorrow and won't start until about an hour before high slack in downtown (11 AM) --- good luck to all!
Trey Carskadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #21
garryj
Steelhead

Smile Re: Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Carskadon View Post
Fished with Buzz Ramsey today, we went 2 for 2. One marked, one unmarked. Water temp. @ 49 degrees. We launched at Willamette Park fished above the Hawthorne Bridge, went behind the island, trolled the Spaghetti Factory and didn't mark a fish anywhere along the way. Motored upriver to the Milwaukie Trestle and found our first fish downriver of the trestle trolled cut plug herring and 10" Fish Flash in Chartreuse and Red at 14 pulls (26' on my line counter) with 6 ounces of lead. The second fish came on the same gear on the west side across from Waverly...also 14 pulls. Never saw another net out or fish on. Heard mixed reports of a bite just upriver of Waverly on the east side, another bite at Sellwood on the turn of the tide and the first part of the runout and downriver at Portland Harbor on the turn of the tide. Save me a spot in the parking lot...I'm fishing tomorrow and won't start until about an hour before high slack in downtown (11 AM) --- good luck to all!
Great report thanks for the info
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
The Big Tuna
Steelhead

Fished mouth of the channel 9-3:30. Two rods pulling herring. not even a drive by. Fish counter said 10 were checked when I pulled out. Slow day. visibility at about 2.5'.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
Wazu_Wiseman
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Carskadon View Post
Now, that's a report!
Wazu_Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
jmg
Ifish Nate

When I pulled out an noon yesterday the checker at Freds said our fish made 3 fish for 12 boats. Fished the mouth of the channel.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #25
Lou
Ifish Nate

Smile Re: Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette

Son in law just sent 2 messages, one for each fish!
Tomorrow going to be HOT!
Support your Veterans!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #26
smoltcatcher
Tuna!

theres no fish in the willy. they all went back out to the big c now that the water is warmer. so stay off the willy, there all back in the big c.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
trsod
Cutthroat

BATTLE WITH A SEA LION:
Fished the Willy Wed and Thur. and put a 12-13 #er in the boat each day. Fish checker said about half the boats had fish.
On Thur. I was with two friends in a small boat. We tend to fish where we see sea lions - figure they know best where there are fish. My friend hooked and landed a 20#er. So, after about a 15 min fight, we were pleased we got the fish in the boat before a sea lion got it. My friend was bleeding it in the net over the side of the boat when a sea lion grabbed it. Just about pulled my friend in the river! All three of us grabbed the net and the battle was on. Amazingly we won - got the fish back in the boat with little damage, but the net looked like a pretzel.
In retrospect, we probably should have let the sea lion take the fish. The boat was small enough that a 300-500 # sea lion pulling on one side could have flipped the boat. Fortunately, someone above was watching out for us.
trsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #28
bluefishes
Steelhead

I've heard of decent bites in the harbor and Garbage Hole over the past few days. I can't confirm but since no one is talking about it here...
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
biederboat
Sturgeon

The area "formerly known as the green can" was pretty quiet through 9 AM this morning, saw just one lost. Gonna do Swan Island tomorrow.

BB
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
SalmonSlaughter
Cutthroat

Got one this morning around 830..Saw around 10 fish caught at the head of the channel..The fish caught were pretty spread out..
SalmonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
wheatie
Chromer

Oregon City, above 205, 6:30-2:45, 20 some boats in view,anchor and backtrolling,.... only saw one landed by boats, no hookups seen, and saw one Steelhead by the group on the bank before we quit. Seals did ok finding their fish, not sure what fisherman's issues were!
wheatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #32
Trey Carskadon
Steelhead

Some serious carnage today on the Willamette. We only managed one...caught it on the turn of the tide under the Marquam Bridge. Saw three netted in the hour we fished the Hawthorne Bridge area --- nothing behind Ross Island. Had a very reliable report that Sellwood produced, at least for a friend who went 4 for 6 last we talked. Another friend whacked 'em in front of Fred's and he said there had been a decent bite in the morning. Talked to a couple guides who had limited and were headed out with their second load of passengers. Headed out tomorrow to fish the Big C. Good fishing to all.
Trey Carskadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #33
snlphillips
Steelhead

Fished near the mouth of the multnomah channel with the other 100+ boats. Pretty busy for a Friday. Trolled the first 4 hours of the day without any luck. I was using green and/or green and red flashers with green label cut plug herring died blue. Achored up for another 4 hours, tried kwik fish, and one of those new hawg nose flat fish wrapped with sardine and tuna. Nothing for me. My sonar was busy today, marked tons of fish. I saw the same boat land two within an hour around 10.

I'm going to stay at it all weekend.
snlphillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
activpop
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsod View Post
BATTLE WITH A SEA LION:
My friend was bleeding it in the net over the side of the boat when a sea lion grabbed it. Just about pulled my friend in the river! All three of us grabbed the net and the battle was on. Amazingly we won - got the fish back in the boat with little damage, but the net looked like a pretzel.
In retrospect, we probably should have let the sea lion take the fish. The boat was small enough that a 300-500 # sea lion pulling on one side could have flipped the boat.
Try using a 5 gallon bucket to bleed your fish in...a little bit safer. With the amount of furbags in the water today, I would want that fish in the boat quickly. Saw three lost to them today.
activpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #35
Hard Cast
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsod View Post
BATTLE WITH A SEA LION:
Fished the Willy Wed and Thur. and put a 12-13 #er in the boat each day. Fish checker said about half the boats had fish.
On Thur. I was with two friends in a small boat. We tend to fish where we see sea lions - figure they know best where there are fish. My friend hooked and landed a 20#er. So, after about a 15 min fight, we were pleased we got the fish in the boat before a sea lion got it. My friend was bleeding it in the net over the side of the boat when a sea lion grabbed it. Just about pulled my friend in the river! All three of us grabbed the net and the battle was on. Amazingly we won - got the fish back in the boat with little damage, but the net looked like a pretzel.
In retrospect, we probably should have let the sea lion take the fish. The boat was small enough that a 300-500 # sea lion pulling on one side could have flipped the boat. Fortunately, someone above was watching out for us.
this is when your gaff comes in handy....don't harm the fish with it though.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #36
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Wink Re: Official 2012 Springer Report Thread-Willamette

Awww it's only a Steelhead........... Just kidding....we were actually targeting Steelhead, but saw a few Chinook taken by the hogline not too far away. Fished the Willamette from 7am - 2pm in shallow water. Ended up with an early strike that didn't stick and this one in the box shortly afterward.

Last edited by Pirate; 04-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #37
Buck50
Ifish Nate

Looks like that one had a close encouter with a fur bag.
Nice fish!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #38
columbialiprip
Chromer

We got 2, one close to 30lbs!! Lost another at the boat that was bigger!! and had another drive by,7 till 2:30, from sellwood down to the Freemont.
columbialiprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #39
Threeweight
Chromer

Success today near Sellwood. One in the boat, one lost at the net. Nice bite right at the tide exchange, and sporadic action all day.

Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #40
copycat
Tuna!

1 for 2 on the river 5 hrs. cookie cutter springer but man it does feel good to boat a fish after the columbia grind, green fish flash green plug cut 6oz 20 pulls was the number that hit chrome friday, the board at freds is finally looking like it should. its going to be crazy out there this weekend glad I only fish on weekdays
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookiecutter1.jpg (197.9 KB, 156 views)
copycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #41
Wigeon Pete
Chromer

Little Big Boat scored 2-2 on Friday the 13th near Ross Island, one nate, one in the box. First two salmon my friend ever caught, and she did a great job getting them in. We fished 7-5 using flashers and plug cut green. Both fish in the a.m. near the change of the tide. Seemed like a bite was starting as we were leaving. The ramp was a zoo in the morning. Just be polite folks, you'll get there.

Pete
Wigeon Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #42
biederboat
Sturgeon

Very sporadic action around Swan Island today, saw maybe 8-9 landed or lost; none appeared to be released (maybe we finally trained those wild ones to not even bite!). We felt pretty lucky on 2/2 on green-dyed green-label, one about 11 and the other 14.

BB
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #43
Dealmaker
Coho

Fished near the mouth of the multnomah channel went 1 for 1 today
was just about to say pull up the lines because we had to leave early when my sons pole starts jumping like he was on the bottom. But when he grabed the pole he said it a fish and we did the old fire drill fish in the boat First springer for us in about 4 years.
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
Nvr_Srndr
Steelhead

Is it too early in the year to use prawn spinners on the lower Willy or should I just stick to cut plug? Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #45
hunter2468
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvr_Srndr View Post
Is it too early in the year to use prawn spinners on the lower Willy or should I just stick to cut plug? Thanks
I woudnt say to early, but its probably best to stick to herring right now, most of the fish will come off of herring until the water warms up a little bit more
Old 04-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #46
Nvr_Srndr
Steelhead

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #47
slabhunter
Sturgeon

Try slow rolling a prawn with the blade about two feet above the bait.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #48
twib
Steelhead

Default Re: Official 2012 Springer Report Thread

Was fishing out of Willow Grove in 8 ft of water. Had a huge water logged stump roll up my anchor line. I was able to cut the rope and lost my anchor. Was not paying attention.

Be careful out there.

Fishing report: I quit early since I lost my anchor. Fish checker had 1 fish for 6 boats at about 1pm.
twib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #49
langararocks
Super Moderator

Default Re: Official 2012 Springer Report Thread

Lets try to keep the topic on track here. There is a seal thread for that discussion and those posts have been moved to that thread. Great reports... keep them coming.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #50
dawhunt
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post

Actually, we did the same, but landed four pikeminnows, four suckers, a large sculpin and released three sturgeon...bizarre...

Bill didn't you use the pythagorean theorem,
Bob
Bob Dawson #52
Life time member CCA
dawhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #51
twolabs
Steelhead

does anyone know the fish count at waterfront today?
twolabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #52
Fishinbuck
Steelhead

got one yesterday in just a couple of after noon hours. Excited for today...630-5 zippo.

Talked to a lot of guys today without fish...
Fishinbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #53
wack0
Chromer

You up river guys and gals have faith. From what I have seen in the lower stretch (head of the channel) there is a push of fish headed your way. Not lights out but they are starting to show in good numbers. Went 1 for 4 last two days. Friday I lost count of fish netted.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #54
Dave G
King Salmon

The big boys and girls came up river today and I got one.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #55
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
The big boys and girls came up river today and I got one.
There for a bit I thought you were talking about the two oversize that took two of my best K-15s.

Nice fish ya got there!
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #56
Ian Harrison
Chromer

Slow today for the amount of pressure in the harbor. We managed one.

Thad from Broken T got the gear in the zone and Bill Woods (Obsession) cooked up some special herring.

Last edited by Ian Harrison; 04-15-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Ian Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #57
jordanb38
Tuna!

After what was nothing less than a productive last few days, today was a bomb. Everything was working in our favor. Bait was killer, tide exchanges were promising, heck everyone was even friendly. Not even a sniff. Saw one fish crackered, one boated, heard rumors of three or four other fish.
jordanb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #58
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Why is the water getting muddy again?
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #59
P_Minnow
Cutthroat

Fishing has been downright lousy this weekend. Fished the last 3 days, all around the Sellwood, and the numbers caught seem very low, especially compared to last year around this time. Fished Friday 12-3, no bites. Saturday, fished 6-11 am and went 0 for 2, with 3 caught on the West Bank, one going to a sea lion, and heard around 12 caught on the East Bank. I counted around 75 boats on the water around 11 am. Today, I just fished 6-9 am, and saw no fish caught, so I've decided to take a break and may go out this evening. Where are all the fish?
P_Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #60
Gorilla Fishing
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvr_Srndr View Post
its NEVER too early to use spinners.....Don't believe the hype.