North River Reel seat... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

Default North River Reel seat...

So I thought I was so smug and cool. I bought this really great North River rod at Fisherman's. I loved the sensitivity and the backbone of that rod when I was fishing it on a guided trip on the Humptulips so I bought it. It was a $99 dollar rod for $59 bucks on sale (after the Sportsman show)! Whoo Hoo!!! (Or so I thought.)

Yesterday I finished rebuilding my Tekota 600 and I thought I'd try it on the rod. NO GO! The reel seat is too small. Now I know the 600 is a little overkill for a springer reel but hey, it's what I had left over after the 500"s went on my Lamiglass rods.

Anyone else use 600's or is it considered too big a reel for salmon? Is there such a thing as changing the seat part on the reel?

fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
fishgetter
Tuna!

Default Re: North River Reel seat...

I have not used the combination you mentioned but for other reels I have filed the reel base to fit.

Good Luck.
fishgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
RobbyD
Chromer

Tekota 500's and 600's both have an oversized foot on them. The 300 has a smaller profile foot but that doesn't help you very much. All of the NR rods have a reel seat built for a smaller foot. You might want to get a new rod as your other option would be to grind the foot of your Tekota. Good luck homes ... RobbyD
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
cutt plug
Tuna!

I've had this problem with my North River rods with other reels. I had to slide the front foot of the reel into the adjustable part of the reel seat first, then I could slide the rear foot of the reel into the fixed portion of the reel seat on the rod.

I hope that makes sense?
cutt plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutt plug View Post
I've had this problem with my North River rods with other reels. I had to slide the front foot of the reel into the adjustable part of the reel seat first, then I could slide the rear foot of the reel into the fixed portion of the reel seat on the rod.

I hope that makes sense?

Tried that.... didn't work. From what I'm reading here I can't even use my Tekota 500's! Well crap! maybe I better see if I can find that receipt and take the pole back. Dagnabbit anyway!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
plhldrbus
Steelhead

Buy a new reel for the norte' and a new rod for the 500-easy breezy and MY wife wo'nt know or care,dont know about yours tho.
plhldrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
OregonSteel
Tuna!

Had the same experience about a month back. Returned em all and bought IM-8's....

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=394735
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhldrbus View Post
Buy a new reel for the norte' and a new rod for the 500-easy breezy and MY wife wo'nt know or care,dont know about yours tho.
Ha... your wife won't care and mine still doesn't know. Double edged sword!

I was thinking about going over to the Baker Bay supply house to look around. Your Dad brags about how much stuff he has... maybe he'll sell a good pole cheap that my Tekota will fit. Jerry Benning says he has a garage full of fishing stuff too. I don't need more stuff but by golly I might buy something anyway.

I hate to give up my NR because the Tekota didn't fit the reel seat or vice versa. I did find that my Penn 210 fits the NR. I think I'll swap the Penn 210 reel from the ugly stick to the North River. Then put the Tekota on the ugly stick (sturgeon rod). Might be a better deal for the sturgeon rod. It's hard to beat the drag on a Tekota, the Penn is just "ok".

When r u coming down? Ocean season?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
plhldrbus
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin"G"man View Post
Ha... your wife won't care and mine still doesn't know. Double edged sword!

I was thinking about going over to the Baker Bay supply house to look around. Your Dad brags about how much stuff he has... maybe he'll sell a good pole cheap that my Tekota will fit. Jerry Benning says he has a garage full of fishing stuff too. I don't need more stuff but by golly I might buy something anyway.

I hate to give up my NR because the Tekota didn't fit the reel seat or vice versa. I did find that my Penn 210 fits the NR. I think I'll swap the Penn 210 reel from the ugly stick to the North River. Then put the Tekota on the ugly stick (sturgeon rod). Might be a better deal for the sturgeon rod. It's hard to beat the drag on a Tekota, the Penn is just "ok".
pm sent on your phone
When r u coming down? Ocean season?

Last edited by plhldrbus; 03-22-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: lacking"pm sent"
plhldrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
HuskyKMA
Steelhead

My dad had the same experience. Bought a NR rod for a 500LC. The back of the fit maybe 0.5mm into the reel seat. He returned it and got something else. I wonder how many sales of these rods Fisherman's loses because of the small reel seats?
HuskyKMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

I did get my Penn 210 reel to fit in the seat of that North River. It's not a great river salmon reel but it'll work.

I looked at comparable rods from Shimano today when I picked up my brine supplies. My 9' 6" Clarus is in a dead heat with that North River. Maybe I should return the NR and get the newest medium heavy/fast action 10'6" Convergence. OH MAN....... That's a sweet rod for $120. Oh wait... I'd need another $60 to fill that bill. Guess I'm still stuck with the NR.