Progress Lake - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Navigator
Tuna!

Smile Progress Lake

Well, I bit on Bill Monroe's column in Sunday's Oregonian and decided to check it out that same day (March 18th).

Very clean and developed access - perfect for the disabled angler, wheel chair. The down side is that there is a LOT of lake for these fish to disperse to - compared to what you can access from the east (shopping center) bank. So, not a dial in and get your limit in an hour type lake.

I figured with the 60 foot depth - fishing off the bottom probably not the best option. I worked Pauzke's and power bait under a slip float - anywhere from 5 to 10 feet with not a nibble. Others with worms - same result.

Saw one hooked and landed on a spinner - first cast . Sooo, I went back to my small pink rooster tail and .....

Funny how a fish can brighten an otherwise rain, sleet, snowy day.

Worth a few casts if you are in the neighborhood - you just might get lucky like I did.

Original Member #107
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
thehide
Tuna!

Default Re: Progress Lake

Glad you found success
thehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Congrats. Is that lake for disable/kid anglers only or is it open to everyone?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Thanks for the report and congratulations...I'm assuming the bank is accessible? Probably no well-worn, littered (I sure hope not ever) pathway yet?

No, not restricted. It's open to everyone...

Nice touch, that pink...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Navigator
Tuna!

The bank is entirely disabled accessible. Concrete path. Nice floating fishing dock. Signs direct you not too fish from the other platforms. Fences suggest they do not want you wandering to other reaches around the lake. Hopefully folk will keep it clean. That will be very important -- since there will be a lot of non-fishing use. Dogs fine on a leash. Discarded hooks and line should be picked up - even if we are picking up after someone else. I think a good "introduce someone to fishing" venue. Parking is in the shopping center.

Will be interesting to see how the lake fishes as the weather gets warmer and whether there is enough food for the trout to hold over. The key will be the fish constantly roaming the lake -- so as to stay accessible to the limited bank access area. No boats allowed.
Original Member #107
Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
FagioFisher
Steelhead

Went out there this morning for a couple hours caught 4 trout kept two. Hard fighting little stockers they were jumping like tarpon! Great little pond for urban fishing! It'd be awesome if they stocked some bass in it as well. I heard that their was catfish in there too?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Navigator
Tuna!

Nice job! Good to see they are staying active. I remember getting on my bike and going fishing at local urban ponds when I grew up. This is a perfect destination for that sort of thing.
Original Member #107