Oregon hunter numbers - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
scoutdog5
Chromer

Default Oregon hunter numbers

I am working a project for the Oregon Outdoor Council to put together hunter numbers from 1995 through 2010. My plan is to put the data together by county for Rocky Mountain Elk, Roosevelt Elk, Mule Deer and Blacktail deer.

I have been able to collect a good part of the data I need, but am still missing some years. I can use either the Oregon Big Game Regulations for the year listed, or the Oregon big game statistics for the following year. For example, to get the data for 1998, I would need either the 1998 Big Game Regulations, or the 1999 Big Game Statistics.

Here are the years I need:

I have the rest of the years. If anyone happens to have any of these, or knows where I might get them, please shoot me an email or give me a call, and I will get on it. I have left messages at ODFW Salem without response so far.

Thanks everyone,

Scoutdog
Mike Morris
503-317-7576
mjmorris50@comcast.net

scoutdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
daiello91
King Salmon

Default Re: Oregon hunter numbers

I used that in a blog a month or so back. I can't for the life of me remember what website I found the full spreadsheet on though.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
rabersin
Tuna!

I am not sure what you are looking for. The previous stats are just the number of tag holders versus the number of successful tag holders to get a harvest percentage. If what you are looking for is the actual number of hunters I am not sure if this table will answer this question.
rabersin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabersin View Post
I am not sure what you are looking for. The previous stats are just the number of tag holders versus the number of successful tag holders to get a harvest percentage. If what you are looking for is the actual number of hunters I am not sure if this table will answer this question.

The full table contained a lot more info. I just can't remember where the heck I found it. When I did my blog article I was simply looking at deer hunters. Which is why the deer only area is cut out.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
scoutdog5
Chromer

I have all of the statewide numbers. What I am looking for is the number of hunters for each unit. For example, I need to know how many deer tags there were in the ochoco unit in 1998. I can get that info from either the 1998 Oregon Big Game Regulations booklet, or the 1999 Oregon Big Game Statistics report.

Thanks

Scoutdog
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
CptnMorgan
Sturgeon

Maybe this looks familiar

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...s1952-2010.pdf
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Joe
Sturgeon

Scoutdog,

I have every years regulations since 1989. I could just mail them to you as long as you send them back. Let me know if I can help.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
loper
Tuna!

So far I have found my copies of the 1998 and 2002 Oregon Big Game Regulations ; the others may still be around, just not filed properly.

Would you like certain pages scanned and emailed?
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
huntingboybill
Steelhead

Not sure if this is one of the years that you want??? LOL
Sorry I could not help myself.
HHB
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
scoutdog5
Chromer

Huntingboy, do you have the entire book, with all the info on seasons?

If so, I would really like to know if in 1971 mule deer and elk tags were over the counter, and could you hunt both eastside and westside for deer on the same tag.

I am thinking it was 1972 that they started the plan where you had to buy either an eastside or westside tag, but I could be wrong about that.

I am getting all of the missing proclamations I need, but it occurred to me that, on the westside, where most tags are over the counter, I am going to need the statistics as to the number of hunters in each unit. This is going to make it tougher, but if anyone has some of those, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Scoutdog
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
daiello91
King Salmon

Good luck getting everything you need scout. Let me know if I can assist in anyway.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
dla
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdog5 View Post
or the Oregon big game statistics for the following year.
Your posts says "hunter numbers". If that is what you need then the data is(was) on the ODFW website. I've downloaded it in the past and slurped it into excel.

But it sounds like what you really want is tag & harvest statistics - right? If so, that is also on the ODFW website.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #13
fish_guy10
Steelhead

If the department is being nonresponsive and you can't find the information elsewhere, file a public records request. They are required to respond in a reasonable amount of time and, usually, the records custodian does not view the request as adversarial.
fish_guy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
huntingboybill
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdog5 View Post
Huntingboy, do you have the entire book, with all the info on seasons?

If so, I would really like to know if in 1971 mule deer and elk tags were over the counter, and could you hunt both eastside and westside for deer on the same tag.

I am thinking it was 1972 that they started the plan where you had to buy either an eastside or westside tag, but I could be wrong about that.

I am getting all of the missing proclamations I need, but it occurred to me that, on the westside, where most tags are over the counter, I am going to need the statistics as to the number of hunters in each unit. This is going to make it tougher, but if anyone has some of those, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Yes I do have the whole book. They used to make them so that you could put them in your pocket to carry around with you. Same for the fishing regs.
It dose look like you had to buy either west side or east side for deer and elk.
I could send you pictures if you wish. Just shoot me your email.
Bill

Scoutdog