outboard jet intake fins - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
mercjet721
Fry

Default outboard jet intake fins

Looking for a little info on the fins ive seen coming down off the shoe of some outboard jets... Just wondering if anyone knows if they really do much and if so where a guy could find them... ive been searching the internet with no luck. Anything helps thanks

mercjet721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
J dub
Steelhead

Default Re: outboard jet intake fins

Specialty Mfg. co. 2035 Edison Ave. San Leandro,CA http://www.outboardjets.com/index.php(510) 562-6049
J dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
mercjet721
Fry

oh ok i guess i didnt even think to check if outboard jets sold them themselves... thanks ill check it out
mercjet721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
SteelhdNut
Tuna!

I won't own a jet-drive outboard without intake fins installed.
They are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned.
Not only do the fins force feed more water into your intake, it helps to eliminate any cavitation issues caused by hull strakes, lack of cavitation plates, or running in rough water. It does not effect the shallow water performance at all.
You gain power, better hole-shot performance, and high speed rough water control with no cavitation at all; by simply adding the fins.
You can either order them direct from Specialty Mfg, or your local dealer can get them from any motor manufacturer that offers a factory jet drive lower unit. They are all the same; just different sizes. If you had some sheet metal experience you could make a set pretty easy.
The kit comes with stainless replacement pins that are threaded on each end, and use nylock nuts on the ends outside the fin. You need to be sure to use a high grade, marine silicone when you install the fins and want a smooth seam on the bottom with no air pockets. The larger side of the fin goes to the front. Attached is a picture of one I did on a Honda for a guy that sent a boat to Russia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda BF35JET.jpg (182.7 KB, 110 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Pensacola
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercjet721 View Post
Looking for a little info on the fins ive seen coming down off the shoe of some outboard jets... Just wondering if anyone knows if they really do much and if so where a guy could find them... ive been searching the internet with no luck. Anything helps thanks
My 18' flat bottomed Alumaweld spent a lot of time on the Deschutes. Replacing a shoe after "touching" some of the diamond hard rocks in that river can be a problem. First welded on fins that were vertical but they had no give when a kiss occurred. Welding on fins at an eight degree angle gave the increased performance I was looking for but allowed a good hit without damage to the shoe and only to the fin which removed itself. If you do not often have brushes with basalt go with the manufacturer adaptation. If you spend some time on only slightly moist rocks, think about the angled approach. They help with cavitation and in turns as well. Good Luck! You'll like the change.