Charleston Bottom Fish Report 3/3/2012 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
2Rotten
Ifish Nate

Default Charleston Bottom Fish Report 3/3/2012

Excellent day on the big pond at 10-Mile Reef, nice weather, nice ocean, nice fishing Somehow we kept catching the smaller ling cod, otherwise it was a stellar day. Limits of rock fish, a few keeper lings, and a dozen beautiful crabs in two pots (75' of water 1-mile north of the jetties) on the way back in. Good day of fishing with good friends Mark Walker and Jerry Penick.

Mark Walker with one of the smaller ling cod; but it sure was a nice day!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
FreshSalt
Steelhead

Default Re: Charleston Bottom Fish Report 3/3/2012

Went out on the Josie D, got our limit of lings in short order. 3 out of 5 guys got their biggest to date. Longest was 39 inches. Best luck came on pipe jigs.

Moved inside to try for rocks. Not so good there, only caught 1 keeper bass. Tried many spots ranging in depths from 200 to 40 ft. Saw a few rocks at the cleaning station and only 1 fisherman reported a full limit.

Beautiful day on the pond, hope everyone we saw had fun.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
2Rotten
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSalt View Post
Went out on the Josie D, got our limit of lings in short order.
Good meeting you at the cleaning station you had some dandy lings! And your boat the Josie D is gorgeous!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Weather or Knot
Ifish Nate

Nice job guys! i was debating on going down there yesterday and ended up working instead. Glad to hear you got em. I have heard simalar reports on the bass being few and far between. heard that last year as welll. wonder where they went?

Brandon
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Swend
Steelhead

Thanks for the report. That looks like a flat ocean! I'm ready to get salty again!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Tide Change
Tuna!

Glad you got out Rod - that looks like a great ocean.

Visit www.OCEANED.org
Tide Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
2Rotten
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather or Knot View Post
Glad to hear you got em. I have heard simalar reports on the bass being few and far between.
Brandon
Several weeks ago we limited on the bottom fish in about 45-minutes. Yesterday it was about 3-hours. We had to find pockets of fish on the sonar and set up the drift to go through them; there was a lot of up & down yesterday. The pockets of fish seemed pretty small, and the drift was moving along.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Weather or Knot
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rotten View Post
Several weeks ago we limited on the bottom fish in about 45-minutes. Yesterday it was about 3-hours. We had to find pockets of fish on the sonar and set up the drift to go through them; there was a lot of up & down yesterday. The pockets of fish seemed pretty small, and the drift was moving along.
I only got out bottom fishing down there once last year and it was lights out for lings. 6 drops 4 nice lings. the other rock fish however we had to work at. what we did see was lots and lots of kelp greenling. some dandies too. Thanks for your report Rod. Glad you got outside and caught some feesh and crabbies.

Brandon
Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
schoenberg
Steelhead

We saw you out there too Rod. Tried to hail you on the radio but no luck. Took mom and dad out for moms first ocean trip in the new boat "Riisness". Had an extremely good time with the family and it makes the cost of what we do well worth it. Caught our limit of yellowtail rocks by 11:30 and then pulled the shrimp flies off and targeted the lings. My wife Kristin pulled three fairly decent sized lings off the bottom, all less than 28" though, and dad pulled in a ling and pretty much threw it at me. We got a great video of me chewing him out telling him he ought to control his fish a little better...All in good fun though.

Weather was pretty good, got a little choppy down towards the jetties in the afternoon though. Must have been a hell of a tidal rip going through there to move my crab pot about 50 yards to the northwest. Suppose it could have been another fisherman though.

All in all, a pretty darn good day.

Hey do you guys have a channel that you montior regularly that is on the list of "Pleasure Craft" channels? It would have been nice to chatter with you guys out there.
schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
2Rotten
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenberg View Post
Hey do you guys have a channel that you montior regularly that is on the list of "Pleasure Craft" channels? It would have been nice to chatter with you guys out there.
Glad you guys got your limits of bottom fish and some lings too We left the radio on Channel 16 all day, monitoring the USCG for bar updates. Next trip I'll put it on "scan", you're right, it is fun and helpful to compare notes out there