Stupid Dory Mistakes - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Tinman
King Salmon

Default Stupid Dory Mistakes

Orion's post on the beach launching rodeo brings to mind my own mistakes during launching and landing. Here are some of mine (most of these I've done multiple times). What are yours?

* My pusher's flip flops stay suctioned to the sand as he climbs over the transom - had to go back to get them, then launch all over again

* Put a newbie in the boat before backing down. Backed down a little too fast, and the boat coasted 150 feet offshore, leaving the newbie to grab an oar and paddle back in. This was his first time in a boat on the ocean

* Landed in the one tidal puddle on the whole beach, with nice firm sand on either side - was the only guy who had to skid the boat up the beach on a rope

* Forgot to tilt up the transducer, jammed it into the sand

* Forgot to tilt motor when skidding boat on a towrope

* Left a bunch of gear near transom exactly where I needed to climb aboard - had to crawl/roll/flail myself aboard

* My pusher didn't have waders. Water temperature was 48 degrees. The cold shock immobilized him and I had to literally throw him aboard

* Slowed down while backing trailer down, thus neatly launching boat onto the sand, had to reload boat onto trailer and launch all over again

* Parked truck too far down the beach. Terry had to re-park it higher up while I was out to keep it from getting flooded by the rising tide

* Got truck stuck in the sand twice in one day

* Forgot to unhook winch strap when launching - winch handle spun backwards, loud and spectacular, everybody watching of course

Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"

Last edited by Tinman; 03-02-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Stupid Dory Mistakes

Back in the early 60s we launched a 16 ft Berchcraft (windshield boat) with a 1958 Pontiac Bonnieville got stuck every time. Dad would hold a $10.00 dallar bill out the window and one of the dunebuggies would come down and pull us out. Five guys in the boat one day we had so many bottom fish in the boat we had to throw all the fish out on the beach before we could load the boat on the trailer, people came running down the beach to take the fish they thought we wer throwing away , had to push some people away. Later my brother and I figured out we could unhook the trailer and wheel it into the surf by hand to unload the boat always used 100ft rope to pull it out of the surf up to dry sand. Had a tilt trailer but when tilted the wench was 6ft in the air so we had to stand on a step ladder to crank it up. We even entered it in the dory derby I think in 1965 won a few prizes but broke three ribs in the boat (dad was not happy).. If anyone has a picture of us on the beach I shur would like a copy.

Last edited by weirdbeard; 03-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
weirdbeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Burnin Daylight
Chromer

If anyone has a better story on their first launch out of PC I would like to hear about it. After modifying “Butt Ugly” and testing “it” ( has to be an “it “ to ugly to be her)on the Willamette we headed for PC. Since the boat just had a regular trailer with rollers I devised a plan to tie a short piece of rope from the winch to the boat and back up trailer and slam on brakes and slid the boat back to almost the tipping point, take the rope off and head for the surf. As a back up plan I installed a pulley on the back of the trailer and if we had to we would winch the boat off. Have a 12000 pound rated winch on truck. Got to beach, donned waders, unhook the boat winch strap and backed up fast and hit the brakes, boat id not move, tried it a couple of more time and decided to winch the boat off. Unhooked boat from read receiver and installed in on the front receiver. Got out winch cable and attached as per plan and turned on winch. Boat did not move, stop winch before tearing trailer apart. You guest it, rear tie down straps were still on. Removed straps and launched boat. Came back in and since the trailer was all set up to use the winch, we drug the boat upon the sand and commenced winching the boat on the trailer. Somehow the winch controls cables got caught under the winch cable at the drum and shorted out and smoke was coming out of the winch, bummer winch down. Decided to try to push boat onto trailer in the traditional way it worked, lined up the boat to the rollers and it worked. Boat nose went way up in the air, trailer groaned and tweaked and at the tipping point we pulled the boat down and finish loading. This system became our standard MOA for launching and retrieval. I just knew that eventually that trailer would collapse and I would have to borrow a real dory trailer to the “Butt Ugly” up to my father in laws place at PC

Dave
Burnin Daylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Foreel
Tuna!

With all the tough guy know it all people..Its refreshing that you have admitted to being human and it really makes you all believable on a lot of other accounts too..Thanks for admitting a few minor errors and maybe it will help others not be scared to post because of being blasted by the perfect crowd..I thought I was the only one who made mistakes..and I don't have a dory..Stuff happens and you try as best as possible to foresee every possible thing..Sometimes it just doesn't work out as you planned. Good reads and I got a chuckle on several..
Foreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Eastside Dave
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Orion's post on the beach launching rodeo brings to mind my own mistakes during launching and landing. Here are some of mine (most of these I've done multiple times). What are yours?
I think we're all needing a salty fix! But I like this thread so here's mine:

1. Getting stuck on the ramp on the way onto the beach

2. Pre-launching the boat on consecutive days - this consists of dropping the boat in too shallow of surf to move it (my fishing buddies have another term for this, but it's not really appropriate for publication)

3. Telling my dad, "Don't push the boat out into the surf until I get back from parking the pickup.".... Then watching the old guy push the boat into the surf, then wrestle the boat for a few minutes.

4. On a buddies boat, being in charge of putting the plug in... Instead, I accidentally put the plug into the transom engine drain instead of the bottom drain (yes, it was dark and I hadn't had enough coffee). Then on the launch asking, "Hey! You have a problem here! Where's this water coming from??!!??"

5. Getting stuck while trailering the boat

6. Replacing the starter on my tow rig on the beach

7. After getting a running start and going 35 MPH on the beach, still getting stuck before hitting the ramp...

8. Did I mention getting stuck on the beach?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Elk Camp Rodge
Tuna!

I don't spend a lot of time on this side but saw this head line in the "last post" section and couldn't help myself.

For those of you who don't know, my dad is "Playin' Hooky" Bill and he's been taking me out with him and we've been fishing together as long as I can remember. I was 3 1/2 when I caught my first ling.

Idk what it was about last summer but we got stuck about half the time while loading the boat. The one time that sticks out the most in my mind and a day I'll NEVER forget goes like this...

I met him at the parking lot about 1/2 after first light on a weekday morning. We knew it wasn't goin to be a banner day from the NOAA forecast but we had a chance to get together and fish so by God, we were goin to fish. We sipped our coffees as we watched the surf. There was only about three other rigs on the sand and they were already out. The surf was iffy at best. A set from hell would roll in they it would lay down well below the do-able level for a few minutes so we got a little cocky decided if we put in at the toad stools we could time this just right. We went on down the ramp, got all our ducks in a row and waited for the tsunami set to come through. The surf laid down and we went for it. He dumped the boat and went to park, I spun her around and just as I did I spotted one of the "oh s---" sets coming in. After the first couple waves I was up to the pockets in my waders in between the breakers! It was about then the undertow started screaming and the boat started drifting down and out at warp speed. Even with my heels dug in I was skiing behind the boat without even slowing it down but would have to give a burst of herculean strength to point the bow into the surf when a breaker came. By the time I got control of the boat and Dad caught up with me, I was 100yds SOUTH of the ramp. We gained our composure and Dad went to go get the truck. He brought the truck around and I got ready to winch her up. As soon as we got the trailer under her and I started cranking another set from hell rolled in. Before we knew what had happened we were burried up to the axles and there was 6" of water in the cab. With no help in sight, Dad hopped out to get his phone out of the consol and about got the door flatted against the front fenderwell from another little breaker. He started calling everyone in his phone to come help. I got the jerk straps hooked up and started praying for someone to show up. My prayers were answered when a brown suburban came flying down the ramp. The driver hollered, "Hook up!" as he circled. Dad jumped in the cab as I through the strap around his hitch and yelled for for him to go like hell as I ran to get out of the way. When he got us out safe and sound he introduced himself and told us he was a doryman in a past life now the camp host at the RV park and some caring soul had seen us from their room at the Inn at the Cape and ran down to tell him we were in trouble. If you're the carinf soul or camp host who helpped us and are reading this I'd like to thank you again.

In 25yrs of running out of PC I've felt a lot of emotions; pride, nervous, excited, happy, uneasy... But this was the first time I was ever truly SCARED.

Well after we parted ways with the camp host we figured we hadn't had an eventfull enough of a day so far and we wern't about to give up yet so we temped fate again; this time we won! But only hit the beach wih two stinking bass. The whole day was one big stupid dory mistake.
"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph

Last edited by Elk Camp Rodge; 03-02-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Elk Camp Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Elk Camp Rodge
Tuna!

The incident in this picture was a walk in the park compared to the last story I just told...

Note the TWO ropes that we needed lol

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
Elk Camp Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Deeman
Tuna!

Many mis-adventures that resemble both Tinmans and Eastside Daves. But...

My first solo launch at 15 years old went like this,

The waves were coming in sets, and we sat on the beach with the oldtimers for 30-45 minutes and finally made a go determination with about 1/2 of the other guys sitting on the beach. We timed it and dropped with the big set just starting. Parked the truck and ran back with my buddy (also 15) holding the boat, he pushed out into a decreasing wave train, I went over the back, and Don kept up the push. I yelled, he bailed in, I spun the wheel and hit the key, with an instant fire up we were off.

40 yards later the outdrive hung up on the sandbar outside the trough, with not enough of a wave set to lift us to get a push and get over. Then the waves started to build again, just as Don jumped out to push (unbeknownst to me, as I was looking forward not back). We slammed over a few gaining a little ground each time the stern lifted and finally got the prop to grab water and launched forward when I heard a hollar. Looked back and there is Don holding on to the back belly surfing behind the boat. I chopped the throtle and he was able to get his feet down find the step and vault in. By this time the big boys had arrived and we spent the next few seconds (Hours..... Minutes...) Pounding through the surf seeing sky then water then sky then water, We should have probably gone over (One of the old timers said he had never seen a boat so stright up and down). During this time one of the steering pulleys broke, so Don had to hug the motor bracing his feet on the well, and I worked the throttle and called directions. We finally got outside, about half way to the rock and I could shut down to figure out how to fix the steering.

It was at this point I noticed how much water we had taken on getting out. Except in a few minutes the level had risen. We had so much water in the boat I could not get it up on plane to drain it but I did get the plugs in through the deck cut out.
We decided we had had enough, I set the throttle, we both held the motor to steer and just ran it up on the beach at about 3/4 throttle.
We loaded up so quick that most of the water had not drained out of the boat so when we loaded we bent the back of the trailer badly, then because of our embarrassment and haste, we forgot to lift the motor until we were off the beach and about half way accross the parking lot.

That launch cost me a Prop, a Skeg (lower unit housing), a trailer, and a new steering system. I lost more money on that launch then I did in equipement over the next three years combined.

I really miss those days.

What we did do that was good while fishing down there was, We had a 7 foot metal fence post with extra wings welded on, and a heavy pipe driver we carried in the truck. It also had a ring welded on about 4 feet up, and a ring welded near the top with ten feet of line and a hook attached. If we got stuck we would drive the post for a winch anchor. When the truck started moving the guy driving would keep moving while the other guy unhooked the winch lineand threw it then as the trailer went by you would hook the top line on an eye at the end of the trailer and it would jerk the post out as you went up the beach.

Last edited by Deeman; 03-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Tar Heel
Tuna!

These are great guys, keep em coming. Makes me want a thread for rookie outboarder mis adventures, but having watched the dory fleet for years, I can picture your well told stories!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
dckkllr
Chromer

The worst mistake for me was not hopping up on the stern fast enough while pushing out at Gearhart. The thought process went something like this.
1. I hate getting wet on the launch.
2. I've never seen this part of the boat without it being on the trailer before.
3. I'm UNDERNEATH the boat!
4. As soon as the next wave hits the stern is going to drop.
5. I think I should get out of here.
6. That was close.
7. Finish pushing the boat out.

The driver looked at me when I hopped in, and asked how I got so wet. He never saw me disappear.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
hookum
Steelhead

This is a great thread. Thanks, Charles. I think I need to give this some thought.
hookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
TillamookChinook
Ifish Nate

There are lots of ways to get offshore and the dory fleet ranks up there around the top. The whole beach-launch thing is pretty unique.

Great thread.

TC
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #13
Deanrt
Sturgeon

Great thread Charles, some really good stories. I wouldn't consider my story a mistake but it was certainly an incident I'll never forget.
It was probably about 1988 we were launching at pc in my father in laws new crown dory the Kernel. Everything seemed to be going fine the launch was good, then turn was good everyone's in the boat he fires it up we start to take off and within 5 seconds it dies! And the darn thing would not fire back up and in no time we are sideways in the breakers. That was probably the scariest time I have ever had in a boat anywhere nothing we could do but ride it out until we hit the beach. Definitely a pucker factor of about 9.5.
Semper Fi, Team ACME, #5724
Deanrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
little doc
Tuna!

remember to check the 4wd, and make sure it is working...

Good memories here guys

rumor we may be playing on the Millie K this summer

Scott.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #15
Spoonplugger
Tuna!

Your Brother is watching you park instead of watching the boat. So you both have to run 100 yards down the beach to get to the boat.

Jerry
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
Tinman
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreel View Post
With all the tough guy know it all people..Its refreshing that you have admitted to being human and it really makes you all believable on a lot of other accounts too..Thanks for admitting a few minor errors and maybe it will help others not be scared to post because of being blasted by the perfect crowd..I thought I was the only one who made mistakes..and I don't have a dory..Stuff happens and you try as best as possible to foresee every possible thing..Sometimes it just doesn't work out as you planned. Good reads and I got a chuckle on several..
You can see from the posts that dorymen are as flawed as the rest of humanity. Great bunch of stories, keep them coming.
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Gun Rod Bow

Last year "My Indian" and I had a major Jones to get the dory out. Went down one April morning (not terribly early) and looked at the beach. It was about 7' coming straight West into the beach but with good spacing and defined sets.

I said "I bet we can make it". Bear in mind there was NOBODY on the beach. So we go do a thourogh pre flight on the dory that hasn't run since the fall before.

We ran motors, checked radios, bilge pump, everything we could think of. Grabbed a a few rods and headed to the beach. There were a couple surfers watching us but that was it.

I had launched into similar seas before, and if timed right it's no big deal. "If" being the operative word.

We agreed that having the oars deployed in the oar locks would be a good idea in the sporty surf.

We push out, I jump in and start the motor in neutral and she purs. Gary jumped in I dropped her in gear and I grabbed the wheel to turn into the first wave and it wont turn. First wave lifts us and sets us sideways.

I grabbed the bolt on knob and pulled HARD and it ripped off in my hand. (ruh-ro) The steering was locked up solid. We had agreed that only one of us would jump on the oars if needed. Gary got on the oars and started to heave as the next wave hit is pretty much full on the side. But it had already broken and the boat just bobbed through it. When I looked back I think he had about a 1' curve in the oar pulling her straight.

We got straight, floated in, laughed and went back to the house and proceded to remove the whole steering gear unit.

Note to self: Include steering gear in pre-flight, and always have the oars in the locks if it's sporty.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
Last year "My Indian" and I had a major Jones to get the dory out. Went down one April morning (not terribly early) and looked at the beach. It was about 7' coming straight West into the beach but with good spacing and defined sets.

I said "I bet we can make it". Bear in mind there was NOBODY on the beach. So we go do a thourogh pre flight on the dory that hasn't run since the fall before.

We ran motors, checked radios, bilge pump, everything we could think of. Grabbed a a few rods and headed to the beach. There were a couple surfers watching us but that was it.

I had launched into similar seas before, and if timed right it's no big deal. "If" being the operative word.

We agreed that having the oars deployed in the oar locks would be a good idea in the sporty surf.

We push out, I jump in and start the motor in neutral and she purs. Gary jumped in I dropped her in gear and I grabbed the wheel to turn into the first wave and it wont turn. First wave lifts us and sets us sideways.

I grabbed the bolt on knob and pulled HARD and it ripped off in my hand. (ruh-ro) The steering was locked up solid. We had agreed that only one of us would jump on the oars if needed. Gary got on the oars and started to heave as the next wave hit is pretty much full on the side. But it had already broken and the boat just bobbed through it. When I looked back I think he had about a 1' curve in the oar pulling her straight.

We got straight, floated in, laughed and went back to the house and proceded to remove the whole steering gear unit.

Note to self: Include steering gear in pre-flight, and always have the oars in the locks if it's sporty.

Especially if I am invited Yeow!
Crayfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Tar Heel
Tuna!

Man, if some one wanted to trade a near shore PC Dory trip for an off shore Tuna trip on my Grady, my son and I would be psyched for that. All this fun and games in the surf sounds too much fun, and like probably most others on here, it's on the to do list.
Once when we were in summer drought mode, my rafting mates and me took my 14' SOTAR raft into the jaws of PC on a big surf day. We were hoping to prepare for a first descent down the North Fork of the Payette in Idaho, and the closest thing in these parts in August that we could think of was the Big Water of the Pacific. Needless, we spent more time in an upside down yard sale than we did paddling, but when you finally do get that 14' to surf its a kick. Probably not so much in a Dory w thousands of $ in gear and w/o wet suits.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #20
Burnin Daylight
Chromer

Tar Heel
Will gladly trade a dory trip off PC for a tuna trip and will gladly pay my share of expenses. And it will actually be a lot more exciting with me as I am not real seasoned dory man, but have launched about 20+ times and actually launched one day when only one other boat went out. Will never do that again! Made it out just fine, big storm moved in and we headed for the beach, told crew to hang on as it could get ugly. Caught a perfect wave and rode her clear to the sand. One of the crew was scared to death and the other disappointed as he expected a real rodeo coming in, but he was the one that convinced me to go out.

Dave

Tar Heel is that North or South Carolina?
Burnin Daylight is offline   Reply With Quote